What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Redskins 2011 Season Thread (1 Viewer)

They will make some roster moves between now and the beginning of the season. They have 8 WR's on the roster and are thin at several spots.

Cooley may not play against the Giants.

link

Just a few days ago, Chris Cooley said that he was making "dramatic progress" in rehabbing his injured knee and stated that "I'm 100 percent confident that I’ll play against the Giants."

A few days later he did not sound so sure. He was asked after the Buccaneers preseason game in which he, like most of the starters, did not play, if the plan was for him to take the football field immediately to prepare for the Sept. 11 opener. "The plan is for me to play when I’m healthy," he said.

Now, this does not mean that Cooley is certain to miss the Giants game. All it means is that seems to be less confident today about playing than he was a few days ago.

From PFT:

Report: Grossman to start for RedskinsPosted by Mike Florio on September 5, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT With “none of the above” not an option, the Redskins need to make either John Beck or Rex Grossman the starting quarterback for Week One.Jason LaCanfora of NFL Network reports that the starter will be Grossman.Per LaCanfora, the decision was made over the weekend. Some would say it was made before Thursday’s preseason finale, given that Grossman got the night off along with other starters — and that Beck played, along with the scrubs.It’s surprising that the Redskins didn’t keep the decision closer to the vest, assuming that the decision has indeed been made. Then again, does it really matter if the Giants know who’ll start? They’ll be defending against the Shanahan system, not against a guy like Tom Brady or Tony Romo.The fact that no one would confuse Beck or Grossman with Brady or Romo makes it a lot easier, too.
I may have got this one right too.

Last edited by a moderator:
From PFT:

Report: Grossman to start for RedskinsPosted by Mike Florio on September 5, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT With “none of the above” not an option, the Redskins need to make either John Beck or Rex Grossman the starting quarterback for Week One.Jason LaCanfora of NFL Network reports that the starter will be Grossman.Per LaCanfora, the decision was made over the weekend. Some would say it was made before Thursday’s preseason finale, given that Grossman got the night off along with other starters — and that Beck played, along with the scrubs.It’s surprising that the Redskins didn’t keep the decision closer to the vest, assuming that the decision has indeed been made. Then again, does it really matter if the Giants know who’ll start? They’ll be defending against the Shanahan system, not against a guy like Tom Brady or Tony Romo.The fact that no one would confuse Beck or Grossman with Brady or Romo makes it a lot easier, too.
Remember when Gibbs named Ramsey the starter until he took a big hit against Da Bears, had to come out and in went Brunell. Ramsey nevery played again, IIRC...

From PFT:

Yeah, pretty much what I've been thinking. Beck was better in preseason than I thought he would be, but he's clearly not the better QB right now. I'm sure we'll see him play at some point, though.The only evidence there ever was for Beck were all the reports that Shanahan had already crowned Beck the starter and the whole competition was fake. Of course, nothing's official yet and I suppose it still could be Beck, but I never really bought all those reports.

From PFT:

Remember when Gibbs named Ramsey the starter until he took a big hit against Da Bears, had to come out and in went Brunell. Ramsey nevery played again, IIRC...
Ramsey filled in for an injured Brunell against the Giants later that same season.

Current practice squad (from a Grant Paulsen tweet):

DL Chris Baker, QB Jonathan Crompton, G Maurice Hurt, CB Nate Ness, G Eric Olsen, WR Aldrick Robinson, RB Evan Royster, DE Doug Worthington

Remember when Gibbs named Ramsey the starter until he took a big hit against Da Bears, had to come out and in went Brunell.
Odd that you'd mention that game. If any team was going to pressure the Redskins O-line and QB it would be the Giants. Worst team for an immobile Redskin QB to start against. Big test for Rex and the o-line right off the bat.

The only evidence there ever was for Beck were all the reports that Shanahan had already crowned Beck the starter and the whole competition was fake. Of course, nothing's official yet and I suppose it still could be Beck, but I never really bought all those reports.
Shanahan announced the rumors were right and Grossman is the starter at the presser this afternoon.

link

Shanahan summarized all aspects of the quarterback’s responsibilities and said, “all in all I thought Rex did very well. John did too, but Rex won by an edge.”. . .

London Fletcher and DeAngelo Hall will be defensive captains, Shanahan said. Santana Moss will be offensive captain and Lorenzo Alexander will be special teams captain. . . .

From PFT:

Nobody knows what will happen in the future. Grossman may be 3 interceptions away from being the backup for the rest of the season.Most people agress that the Shanahans like Beck more and think he has more potential. They could just believe he just needs a little more time to learn the system.

From PFT:

Nobody knows what will happen in the future. Grossman may be 3 interceptions away from being the backup for the rest of the season.Most people agress that the Shanahans like Beck more and think he has more potential. They could just believe he just needs a little more time to learn the system.
I think the shannahans realized that right now, Grossman is the better qb. So they want to see exactly how good this team can be with him at the helm. At the same time, this also gives beck a chance to better learn the system. Once Grossman has a bad game or two, or loses a few games, beck will come in for the remainder of the season so that they can see exactly how well he can do.

Once Grossman has a bad game or two, or loses a few games, beck will come in for the remainder of the season so that they can see exactly how well he can do.
I keep seeing people say this, but I'm not sure I'm buying it at face value. If they've decided to run w/ Grossman now, I don't see them making a change until the season is in jeopardy, or even lost. If they start out decent and Grossman has a few bad games in the middle of the schedule, I don't think they throw in the towel and swap in Beck. Maybe if they go in to the bye 1-3 or 0-4 and Grossman looks worse than he's ever looked they make a change. But what are the realistic odds of that? The OL is better and the skill positions are better. Is it realistic to assume that Grossman will perform worse than last year?

'Sidewinder16 said:
Is it realistic to assume that Grossman will perform worse than last year?
It's realistic to assume that Grossman will play the same way he did last year. He's not going to be much better or worse. On an average team Grossman is, at best, an 8-8 QB. He'll lose as many as he'll win. The questions are more with the team around him -- are they an average team, below average, or above?edited to add: If the Redskins are hanging around .500 with Grossman in, I don't think he'll be replaced. Even on their most hallucinogenic days I don't think either Shanahan believes they could stick Beck in this year to make a sudden playoff run with a .500-so-far team. If it's looking tough for the team to get to .500 with Grossman I think we may see a change to Beck.

'Sidewinder16 said:
It's realistic to assume that Grossman will play the same way he did last year. He's not going to be much better or worse. On an average team Grossman is, at best, an 8-8 QB. He'll lose as many as he'll win. The questions are more with the team around him -- are they an average team, below average, or above?edited to add: If the Redskins are hanging around .500 with Grossman in, I don't think he'll be replaced. Even on their most hallucinogenic days I don't think either Shanahan believes they could stick Beck in this year to make a sudden playoff run with a .500-so-far team. If it's looking tough for the team to get to .500 with Grossman I think we may see a change to Beck.
duh post of the week, but I think Grossman's tenure as the starting QB will be dictated by the O-line. If they play well, I think he's the starter for the year. If he's getting pressured and fumbling/throwing picks, we'll see Beck.

'Sidewinder16 said:
If Grossman can cut down on the interceptions a little bit, the way he played last year will look pretty good. It's not like Grossman stunk last year.

If any FBG Skins fan is interested, I'm looking to sell my tickets for Sunday. Send me a PM.

An already weak Giants D just got weaker. MLB Jonathan Goff out for the year w/ an ACL tear.

I think this Giants D can be scored on.

If Grossman can cut down on the interceptions a little bit, the way he played last year will look pretty good. It's not like Grossman stunk last year.
Rich Campbell reviews the "upside" to Grossman. Worth reading, and checking out the videos he links, IMO.

He would need to cut down on both the interceptions and the fumbles. It's not like he was good last year.

Is Rex Grossman better than David Garrard?
Physically, Garrard is probably better. But, there's absolutely no way Garrard would come here and be ready to start early in the season. The main reason, in my mind, Grossman's starting over Beck is because of his knowledge of the system.

Physically, Garrard is probably better. But, there's absolutely no way Garrard would come here and be ready to start early in the season. The main reason, in my mind, Grossman's starting over Beck is because of his knowledge of the system.
"The system" better show some signs of actually helping win games this year, instead of being a tool to use to disqualify or qualify quarterbacks as starting material.

"Uuuhhh oooo it ain't my fault...blame the genius circus staff for the rush. wouldve been there 2wks ago. Im sry but saga cont"
Laron Landry tweet that was later retracted.

That and Beck must flat out suck. The guy was given every opportunity to take the starting job and couldn't unseat Grossman.

Article on Willie Smith and Chris Neild.

Neild is expected to be active Sunday. He has to be; they have nobody else to back up Cofield (which is a mistake in my opinion but maybe they'll be lucky).

Neild beat out veteran Anthony Bryant for the backup nose tackle spot.

His development was stunted because the lockout forced the cancellation of the offseason program. He still is adjusting to the Redskins‘ penetrating one-gap style up front after playing a two-gap approach in college at West Virginia, but he sufficiently progressed.“Just making right reads,” Neild said when asked about how he has improved. “That’s something that’s kind of [overlooked] at the college level because sometimes you could just dominate your opponent.”

Neild’s work ethic set him apart from Bryant, as well. “Guys have ability, but you’re never really sure what the mental makeup is,” Shanahan said. “You can see he’s mentally tough. He’s a student of the game. He works extremely hard. I think he’s got a chance to have a good future.”

There’s a strong chance Neild with be among the 46 active players for Sunday’s regular-season opener against the New York Giants. The Redskins kept only six defensive linemen on the roster (they kept eight last season), and Shanahan said he might activate five. Neild is the only true backup nose tackle, so the Redskins likely will need him to rotate with starter Barry Cofield.

"Uuuhhh oooo it ain't my fault...blame the genius circus staff for the rush. wouldve been there 2wks ago. Im sry but saga cont"
Laron Landry tweet that was later retracted.
Sigh, I'm getting old. I have no idea what that means.
Me neither. :lmao: But don't worry, Shanahan will explain it tomorrow. He speaks jive.

A person with knowledge of the situation said this weekend that Landry likely will miss the start of the season and possibly more time. Tuesday evening, another person close to the situation confirmed that Landry indeed won’t be back on the field in time for the season opener because of the slowly-healing hamstring.

When reached for comment regarding Landry’s tweets and a possible setback, Redskins spokesman Tony Wyllie said, “I’m not discussing that. Coach will discuss that tomorrow.”
link

Plenty of questions loom in Redskins’ secondary

Atogwe and Landry spent most of the preseason rehabbing injuries and have yet to play together in a game or full-speed practice. Both were on the field at the same time during Monday’s practice – although Landry was limited – but will they play together Sunday against the Giants?

When asked Monday evening, Landry paused to think and Atogwe answered for him; “One day at a time.” Landry nodded and said, “One day at a time. One day at a time.” The fifth-year pro wants to play, but doesn’t know if the hamstring will let him. He’s in a contract year, and doesn’t want to endure on-again-off-again injury problems. Asked if he’d had a setback, Landry said, to the contrary, “every day is progress.” Mike Shanahan said that he does expect Atogwe to play.

Conditions at cornerback are more certain with DeAngelo Hall back for another season, and new addition Josh Wilson healthy and expected to play. Wilson and Hall recorded interceptions in the preseason. But they haven’t played much with the starting safeties, so chemistry remains a work in progress.

The “nickel” or third cornerback is expected to be Kevin Barnes, who filled in at free safety down the stretch last season. He did cover the slot receiver a little in the next-to-last game of the season, and at that spot he recorded the interception that set up the winning field goal against Jacksonville.

But Barnes hasn’t been a full time player in his two previous seasons in the NFL. Byron Westbrook is another backup corner, but has had his struggles in coverage. Brandyn Thompson is listed at the bottom of the depth chart, and the rookie out of Boise State isn’t likely to see much action on defense.

At backup safety, the Redskins do have a solid guy in Reed Doughty, who very well could start in place of Landry this week, but he’s not the big-play threat that “Dirty 30” poses. DeJon Gomes did well during the preseason and will be called on to spell Atogwe, but he still has much to learn.

Rich Campbell put a story out yesterday about Kyle and Mike working together.

I know players are generally going to be positive when asked how they feel about current coaches/schemes, but I thought this quote from Cooley was interesting:

“This is the first time in my career that an offense has fit so much that I’ve been willing to study it,” he said. “I’ve been willing to know it as thoroughly as I do. It’s exciting. It’s fun. It makes sense.

“A lot of offenses have contradictions. Instead, this offense has answers. It’s neat to see the way we get everyone involved. It’s the first time I care what we’re doing on the line. I care what our quarterback’s reads are. I care about other positions besides mine.”

Finally got around to watching the dvr of the last preseason game against the bucs. I now understand why Grossman was named the starter, as Beck looked awful. He made several very poor decisions, and didn't execute the offense well at all.

Wrt the final 53 man roster, I was pretty surprised (as were others) that Hicks was cut. It looks like he's starting this week in Cleveland. I thought they would at least keep him and put Willie Smith on the practice squad. Odd.

On the other hand, I'm happy that the team has kept all 12 drafted rookies on the roster and practice squad.

1. Tight end Chris Cooley (knee), running back Ryan Torain (hand), receiver Donte Stallworth (shoulder), receiver Brandon Banks (knee) and safety Oshiomogho Atogwe (hamstring) all were limited in practice Thursday.

Cooley has not practiced in full for more than a month. “It takes time to get back in football shape and to feel comfortable with himself,” Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said.

2. Strong safety LaRon Landry did not practice and Shanahan called him a “longshot.” But Landry all but ruled himself out Wednesday.
John KeimDoughty is starting in place of Landry.

5. You may have heard: The Giants have won nine of the past 10 meetings vs. Washington. You may also be tired of that as well.

“They dominated us over the years,” Shanahan said. “They’ve run the ball on us,” Doughty said. “We haven’t run the ball on them. It’s pretty simple. They’ve had our number; there’s no other way to look at it. Hopefully we can change that.”

One stat resonated last season: The Redskins turned it over 10 times against New York and forced only two. Yes, they need to stop the run, but you’ll lose every time when have that sort of differential.

Kevin Sheehan said today that the worst the Skins can do is 5-11 this year, and the best is 11-5 and winning the division. His prediction: 10-6 and a wild card berth.

Thom Loverro laughed out loud.

Wrt the final 53 man roster, I was pretty surprised (as were others) that Hicks was cut. It looks like he's starting this week in Cleveland. I thought they would at least keep him and put Willie Smith on the practice squad. Odd.
Oof. Not what this Peyton Hillis owner wants to hear. :) ETA: I think it was Rich Campbell who made the point that, while the move was "surprising" (unexpected may be a more accurate term, though), Hicks, by all appearances, had regressed from last year. If he had to be thrown in to the starting lineup, they were in big trouble. Likewise, if Smith is thrown in to the SL, they are in big trouble. So if that's going to be equal, you may as well keep the young guy with considerably more upside.

Kevin Sheehan said today that the worst the Skins can do is 5-11 this year, and the best is 11-5 and winning the division. His prediction: 10-6 and a wild card berth.Thom Loverro laughed out loud.
While anything is possible in the nfl, realistically this team's floor is 6 wins and their ceiling is 10 wins. Any result outside of that range would be an outlier, imo.I think this team is most likely to finish with an 8-8 record. With some good luck they could reach 9 or 10 wins. With some bad luck they could only reach 6 or 7 wins.

'Sidewinder16 said:
ETA: I think it was Rich Campbell who made the point that, while the move was "surprising" (unexpected may be a more accurate term, though), Hicks, by all appearances, had regressed from last year. If he had to be thrown in to the starting lineup, they were in big trouble.
Yeah, I remember Campbell saying something about Hicks regressing.

Loverro and Sheehan had readers call in today to complete this sentence: "The Redskins will beat the Giants if the Redskins ____________". Seems like a good one to throw open to the bunch of us here.

Mine: " if the Redskins get 4 turnovers from the Giants."

3 might do it, but might not. 4 will. I'm convinced that if the Skins and Giants played 16 games the Giants would win at least 13 of them. I think serious turnover help is needed.

DROP THE BALL ELI!

I agree with your take on turnovers. I think the turnovers in this series the last few years have killed momentum and confidence. Along those lines, I'll go with:

The Redskins will beat the Giants if the Redskins jump out to an early lead.
The Giants have won six straight against Washington. Here's how those six games have started:
Code:
Giants lead   Redskins 1st points10-0          0:22 2nd quarter28-0          4:35 3rd quarter24-0          10:30 3rd quarter17-0          0:21 2nd quarter13-0          8:31 2nd quarter16-0          0:13 2nd quarter

Users who are viewing this thread