What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Redskins 2011 Season Thread (1 Viewer)

I called 4-12. Looks like I'll be a game off. I'm pretty tired of expecting to be bad though. Really hope we address the main issues with this team starting at QB. I'd still like to see VJax come on board. Gaffney was a real surprise for me this year. He had a great season (relatively speaking). I did not expect him to be so productive. I hope we can get him to 1,000 yards this week. It is nice to have a good possession WR out there. VJax, Moss, and Gaffney would make very good starters with Hankerson developing and getting some time. I don't think I can even watch the game tracker on Sunday. I can't actively root for a loss, but I certainly don't won't to drop further in the draft. Think I'll keep myself busy and check in after the game.
I called 7-9 so I'm going to be wrong also.At the beginning of the season a couple people said Gaffney was no different that the other castoff WR's they had brought in the year before (Roydell, Mike Furrey, etc.) and I said he was considerably better than that. He had had a very good year under Orton prior to coming here. I'm glad he's done well here. He's no savior but he's better than the mannequins they had out there last year. Hankerson's going to be good, and I think he'll be good next year. I think he'll turn out to be a very good draft pick who fell right into their lap. I think other teams are going to have a hard time covering him.And I cannot wait to see Jarvis Jenkins on the field. I want to see him tearing other teams up.

'thayman said:
'fatness said:
'dgreen said:
In about 70 hours, we can get the 2012 Offseason Thread started! Some might say this has been the 2012 Offseason Thread for a couple months now, but it will be ***OFFICIAL*** around 4 PM this Sunday.
I think this year is the earliest in the season we've shifted to "offseason mode". It's been difficult to maintain that "OMG WILL WE WIN 5 GAMES OR 6????!!!!!" intensity for half a season.
A big part was that most of us were expecting this type of year. I'm actually more optimistic going into the offseason than I thought I would be (with the expection of Kyle). There are some nice role players on this team right now, they just need a superstar or two.
If we're halfway through next season and thinking about "next year" again, It'll be a pretty clear indication the team's not going in the right direction. The team could have done better this year on the field if not for one glaring series of errors --- personnel choices at QB for 2 full years now.
:shrug:Than you are very shortsighted. If you think this team is going to be a playoff contender next year you are in for a rough time. It was discussed ad nasuem in the offseason that this is a multi year rebuild and I would be surprised to see them be a huge player next year. I would expect another .500 season at best.

'thayman said:
'fatness said:
'dgreen said:
In about 70 hours, we can get the 2012 Offseason Thread started! Some might say this has been the 2012 Offseason Thread for a couple months now, but it will be ***OFFICIAL*** around 4 PM this Sunday.
I think this year is the earliest in the season we've shifted to "offseason mode". It's been difficult to maintain that "OMG WILL WE WIN 5 GAMES OR 6????!!!!!" intensity for half a season.
A big part was that most of us were expecting this type of year. I'm actually more optimistic going into the offseason than I thought I would be (with the expection of Kyle). There are some nice role players on this team right now, they just need a superstar or two.
If we're halfway through next season and thinking about "next year" again, It'll be a pretty clear indication the team's not going in the right direction. The team could have done better this year on the field if not for one glaring series of errors --- personnel choices at QB for 2 full years now.
:shrug:Than you are very shortsighted. If you think this team is going to be a playoff contender next year you are in for a rough time. It was discussed ad nasuem in the offseason that this is a multi year rebuild and I would be surprised to see them be a huge player next year. I would expect another .500 season at best.
:goodposting: We should look towards the Lions and even Texans to see how long this can take. It took until Stafford's 3rd year for them to break into a playoff team. Once we get our QB for the future we need to extend a little patience. That is one of the reasons I and so many others want to go ahead and get that guy ASAP.

'thayman said:
'fatness said:
'dgreen said:
:shrug: Than you are very shortsighted. If you think this team is going to be a playoff contender next year you are in for a rough time. It was discussed ad nasuem in the offseason that this is a multi year rebuild and I would be surprised to see them be a huge player next year. I would expect another .500 season at best.
:goodposting: We should look towards the Lions and even Texans to see how long this can take. It took until Stafford's 3rd year for them to break into a playoff team. Once we get our QB for the future we need to extend a little patience. That is one of the reasons I and so many others want to go ahead and get that guy ASAP.
as a Redskin fan, I feel like a battered wife. And I like Rex.

sure, I'd trade our next 3 1st round picks for Luck...

yet, I also would be ok with taking the best player available and rolling another year with #8...maybe draft a sleeper QB in round 2-4.

at this point, I'm simply satisfied with watching a competitive team.

I don't hold out any hope for success like we've known because of the team owner

Dan Snyder: Unsportsman of the Year, 2011

Good timing for this article

My link

Shanahan practices patience as Redskins rebuilding continues

By Albert Breer NFL Network

NFL Network Reporter

Published: Dec. 29, 2011 at 06:06 p.m.

Updated: Dec. 29, 2011 at 06:55 p.m.

Mike Shanahan is 11-20 in two seasons as head coach of the Redskins. (Brad Mills/US Presswire/)

The Redskins aren't going to the playoffs this season, and they didn't go last year either.

And by the standards Mike Shanahan set in his championship years in Denver, the results in Washington certainly aren't good enough. Not then. Not now. Not ever.

But the situation the coach faced in Washington, when he arrived there two Januarys ago, was much different than the job he had previously. Then, Shanahan had a Hall of Fame quarterback in his mid-30s, John Elway, and a veteran roster dictating a quick retool and win-immediately approach. Now, he's overhauling a place that had been dysfunctional for a decade.

Thirty-one games into his Redskin life, this much is clear: If Shanahan needed a proverbial chisel in Colorado, he's had to pull out the jackhammer in D.C.

"We needed to get depth at all positions," Shanahan emphasized, over the phone from his office recently. "We had no depth at all. And now, with a good draft and run in free agency, we'll be right in the thick of things next year. I really believe that. I told the owner when he hired me, 'This is not gonna happen overnight. You hire me for five years, you're gonna have to give us that time.' We're getting there."

Here's proof: 21 of the 53 men on the active roster (and this isn't including suspended left tackle Trent Williams, or injured rookies Jarvis Jenkins and Leonard Hankerson) have two or fewer years in the league. The club had just two picks in the first five rounds of the 2010 draft -- part of that was the swing-and-miss on Donovan McNabb, part of it was the previous regime's free-wheeling ways -- and both the first-round pick (Williams) and fourth-round pick (LB Perry Riley) in that equation are starting.

Last year, Shanahan attacked the depth problem head-on by dealing his way into a dozen picks, and all 12 of those players remain on the team. Four are starting, and another two could be, but are injured. And on top of all that, the veterans that Shanahan has brought are young and not back-breaking financially. The defensive line is now made up of three such 27-year-olds -- Stephen Bowen, Barry Cofield and Adam Carriker.

Knowing that group will get rookie Jarvis Jenkins back and is bookended by Brian Orakpo and Ryan Kerrigan is enough to have Shanahan think coordinator Jim Haslett's unit has a big future. "You're looking at a defense that's going to be in the Top 10, for sure," Shanahan said.

There's more work to do offensively. While Roy Helu may have answered questions at tailback and the line has a foundation, the team needs more young talent on the perimeter and, most importantly, a guy to get that talent the ball.

But again, Shanahan knew this would take time. And he's not pressing to fill holes.

"I feel very good, especially going into next year with what we'll have back, especially having gone through some adversity," Shanahan said. "We're gonna keep building on it the right way. We're not gonna take guys just to get guys. Only one team is happy at the end of the year, and to be that team you have to build the organization the right way. To do that, you make sure you limit mistakes, especially with the cap, and bring in the right guys."

McNabb is one example of a player who didn't fit. Albert Haynesworth is another. Those guys were traded for sixth-round and fifth-round picks in 2012 and '13 respectively, and both have since been whacked by their new teams.

And while Shanahan wasn't pointing fingers at those guys in particular, he did say that his second team has developed far more of an all-in mentality than his first Redskins group ever could.

"You get rid of guys that don't want to be part of it. Every coach does that," he said. "You don't do that, you have no chance. You have to have guys who wanna do it, who pay the price, who aren't just collecting checks. You get rid of them in that first year, or the first couple years, and we may not have it nailed yet, but we're much closer."

Last Sunday's loss to the Vikings aside, they've been close against some pretty good teams over the past month, as well. They had the Cowboys and Jets on the ropes, and were on the verge of tying their game with the Patriots at the wire, before breaking through with a convincing win over the Giants in Week 15.

"We want to try to be able to dominate teams," Shanahan said. "I thought with the Giants game, we played very well, did what we had to do in the second half, and took it to them physically. What we have to do now is do it week-in and week-out. Sometimes, when you have a young team, you have to grow. We have to learn how to win, and we've been close playing against some very talented football teams."

So what does it add up to? Shanahan has certainly changed the mentality at Redskin Park, and a load of the ancillary pieces to a team that should contend going forward are in place.

The elephant in the room remains the quarterback position, but Shanahan was in position to take one last year and passed, proving that he's willing to wait on the right one. On the surface, it appears to have been the right move. The team took the pick that wound up being Blaine Gabbert, who's been shaky in Jacksonville, and parlayed it into Kerrigan, receiver Leonard Hankerson, tailback Roy Helu, and safety D.J. Gomes, :eek: who have all started games.

When I asked Shanahan if he'll be in the market for a young signal-caller this spring, he said coyly, "I think everybody's in the market for one." But he promised, too, that he'll take the same measured approach with that position that he's taken with every other one.

The coach has already been through 20 losses in Washington. He suffered just 17 in his first four years in Denver.

Different challenge here, sure. But the ultimate hope for Shanahan is that the end result will be the same.

'thayman said:
'fatness said:
'dgreen said:
Sure, you want to get "that guy". But, "that guy" may not be available. You have to pass on a QB and grab someone else if you don't believe he's "that guy".

'thayman said:
'fatness said:
'dgreen said:
Sure, you want to get "that guy". But, "that guy" may not be available. You have to pass on a QB and grab someone else if you don't believe he's "that guy".
Or you go up and get him as long as the price isn't completely crippling.

'thayman said:
'fatness said:
'dgreen said:
"That guy" could also be a 3rd round qb and develop like Matt Schaub. It is a little easier picturing a high first round qb developing into a franchise qb. But after the Shanahans do their evaluations, you never know who they may tab as "their qb".

'thayman said:
'fatness said:
'dgreen said:
:shrug: Than you are very shortsighted. If you think this team is going to be a playoff contender next year you are in for a rough time. It was discussed ad nasuem in the offseason that this is a multi year rebuild and I would be surprised to see them be a huge player next year. I would expect another .500 season at best.
"That guy" could also be a 3rd round qb and develop like Matt Schaub. It is a little easier picturing a high first round qb developing into a franchise qb. But after the Shanahans do their evaluations, you never know who they may tab as "their qb".
That worries me. I think Kyle is a moron.

'thayman said:
'fatness said:
'dgreen said:
7 years in the league and Schaub has never been in a playoff game.

That worries me. I think Kyle is a moron.
I don't understand all the dislike for Kyle. I think the Redskin's offensive system is the best since Norv Turner.Zorn's offense was second rate. Gibbs offense was from the 80's. Al Saunder's 700 page playbook looked a lot like Gibbs'. Spurrier was a joke. Marty has some potential, but we could not tell based on his one year and no players.

I think the current offensive system could be very good with some better players.

I think the current offensive system could be very good with some better players.
When Kyle first arrived, I remember hearing a lot of talk about his offense's ability to get receivers open. I think it's fairly clear that part is working. I mean, Jabar Gaffney has a shot at 1,000 yards. That's pretty amazing. He's consistently getting open. But, he lacks any ability to gain YAC.Of the top 50 WRs and TEs (by yardage) this season, Gaffney has the 2nd worst YAC/REC at 2.69 yards. The average of the top 50 is 4.81. And he has the third worst YAC/YDS at 18.7%. The average of the top 50 is 33.4%. Moss has been slightly below average and has gradually lost his ability to gain YAC the last couple seasons. He's not the same player who could take a WR screen 50 yards. However, Fred Davis does very well. I think his YAC success has been a combination of his physical ability and Kyle's offense getting him WIDE OPEN on many occasions where he can run free.I think the offense works and can be really impressive with better players. They are 16th in the league in yards right now with just about no top notch weapons on offense and a patch work OL each week. I'm not sure we can really expect Kyle to have done much more with the offense this year.

It was discussed ad nasuem in the offseason that this is a multi year rebuild and I would be surprised to see them be a huge player next year. I would expect another .500 season at best.
It was discussed ad nauseum the offseason before that, too. With the end of each losing season under Shanahan it seems that people are just tacking one more season on to how long it'll take to to rebuild. Results on the field have to be noticeably better next year, or fans will get pretty angry and I think the owner will get fed up.

My link

Last Sunday's loss to the Vikings aside, they've been close against some pretty good teams over the past month, as well. They had the Cowboys and Jets on the ropes, and were on the verge of tying their game with the Patriots at the wire, before breaking through with a convincing win over the Giants in Week 15.
That's a pretty rosy way to say they lost 4 of 5 games.1 loss against a good team (Patriots)

2 losses to near .500 teams (Jets and Cowboys)

1 win against a near .500 team (Giants)

1 loss to a lousy team (Vikings)

It was discussed ad nasuem in the offseason that this is a multi year rebuild and I would be surprised to see them be a huge player next year. I would expect another .500 season at best.
It was discussed ad nauseum the offseason before that, too. With the end of each losing season under Shanahan it seems that people are just tacking one more season on to how long it'll take to to rebuild. Results on the field have to be noticeably better next year, or fans will get pretty angry and I think the owner will get fed up.
If that's your thought process then you will continue to be dissapointed. Cerrato and Zorn ran the talent down to almost nothing. You even posted several times this past year about how we have needs at EVERY POSITION, that isn't something that is going to change in 2 years.If they do well in this draft next season you should be looking at a .500 team.

When Kyle first arrived, I remember hearing a lot of talk about his offense's ability to get receivers open. I think it's fairly clear that part is working. I mean, Jabar Gaffney has a shot at 1,000 yards. That's pretty amazing. He's consistently getting open. But, he lacks any ability to gain YAC.Of the top 50 WRs and TEs (by yardage) this season, Gaffney has the 2nd worst YAC/REC at 2.69 yards. The average of the top 50 is 4.81. And he has the third worst YAC/YDS at 18.7%. The average of the top 50 is 33.4%. Moss has been slightly below average and has gradually lost his ability to gain YAC the last couple seasons. He's not the same player who could take a WR screen 50 yards. However, Fred Davis does very well. I think his YAC success has been a combination of his physical ability and Kyle's offense getting him WIDE OPEN on many occasions where he can run free.I think the offense works and can be really impressive with better players. They are 16th in the league in yards right now with just about no top notch weapons on offense and a patch work OL each week. I'm not sure we can really expect Kyle to have done much more with the offense this year.
Under Gibbs, Sanders, and Zorn, the wide receivers never got open. In the 2010 preseaon, the first thing I noticed was the wide receivers were actaully getting open.Also note that the run blocking has been significantly better lately. They are also calling many more inside pitch plays and a lot less stretch run plays. That may be primarily for Helu than the other running backs. And the offense is definately picking up more yards and scoring more points. If Grossman could cut down on the devssting turnovers, this offense could be decent even with the current personel. But at this point, that could like asking a zebra to change his stripes.Grossman has been ok. But they really need a QB to make this a good offense.

Mike Shanahan started evaluating college QBs midseason

Shanahan said he makes a habit of evaluating college quarterback play at the start of each day, watching tapes given to him by the team’s pro and college scouts.

“I’ve already looked at 10 or 15 of them,” Shanahan said Friday afternoon. “I’ll take half-hour a day, early in the morning. The tapes are made up. I’ll look at maybe 75, 80 plays of just a guy throwing the football in game situations and so that’s most of the passes, or at least the good passes during the season, just so I get a feel for the guy.”

Under Gibbs, Sanders, and Zorn, the wide receivers never got open. In the 2010 preseaon, the first thing I noticed was the wide receivers were actaully getting open.Also note that the run blocking has been significantly better lately.
I agree with both those things. The run game and run blocking late in the season has been a surprise, with all the guys substituted in on the O-line. It's definitely due to a change in playcalling, and that was a good adjustment.
Grossman has been ok. But they really need a QB to make this a good offense.
Regardless of who's on the team and how good they are, the best they'll do under Grossman is 8-8. He'll lose as many games as he wins, and will have more turnovers than TDs. They need a better QB, preferably a young one. And they still need considerable O-line help. I think the WR's and RB's are less important to upgrade.

With Jacksonville winning looks like Washington will end up with the 6th pick. Unless Tampa Bay beats Atlanta, and/or Cleveland beats Pitt.

I was out of town all the past week. Did they really cut Torrain last week? I'm not surprised, but didn't know it happened.

I was out of town all the past week. Did they really cut Torrain last week? I'm not surprised, but didn't know it happened.
Starting in place of Aaron Rodgers, Matt Flynn has thrown for over 400 yards and 5 TDs vs. the Lions in a game that is still going on. Is he really that good, and is he a free agent next year? If so, what is the expected price of getting Flynn vs. the price of trading up for one of the top two rookie QBs? If you got Flynn, you could definitely go for a building block OL in the first round.Is this a realistic or attractive option for the Skins?

Starting in place of Aaron Rodgers, Matt Flynn has thrown for over 400 yards and 5 TDs vs. the Lions in a game that is still going on. Is he really that good, and is he a free agent next year? If so, what is the expected price of getting Flynn vs. the price of trading up for one of the top two rookie QBs? If you got Flynn, you could definitely go for a building block OL in the first round.Is this a realistic or attractive option for the Skins?
Update: 480 yards, 6 TDs...wow

They cut Torain, promoted Aldrick Robinson, and made Robinson inactive.
I am not clear on the significance of this move. If Torrain does not have enough years to guarantee his salary, it looks like it was just to give Torrain one less NFL paycheck and give Robinson is first one.

They've said that Flynn is a UFA. Gas up Redskins One and head it to Green Bay on the opening day of the FA period...

if the Browns upset the Steelers, would the Skins pick before them??
Yes.
Go Brownies!!!!
That could be big, we would then be behind Indy, Rams, Vikes, and Bucs, right? If only Indy has need of a QB, then could RGIII actually fall to the Skins? It would be nice to think so, but I think someone from 2-4 will have an offer to trade out of their spot, perhaps Miami. Think it's a long shot, but we have to hope the Browns pull off a miracle. :-)

if the Browns upset the Steelers, would the Skins pick before them??
Yes.
Go Brownies!!!!
That could be big, we would then be behind Indy, Rams, Vikes, and Bucs, right? If only Indy has need of a QB, then could RGIII actually fall to the Skins? It would be nice to think so, but I think someone from 2-4 will have an offer to trade out of their spot, perhaps Miami. Think it's a long shot, but we have to hope the Browns pull off a miracle. :-)
And...the Browns lose.

The defense has really slipped.

Points given up:

first 8 games: 14, 21, 18, 10, 20, 33, 23, 19

last 8 games: 20, 27, 17, 34, 34, 10, 33, 34

I'd give anything for the Skins to have lost all their games so they could have gotten Luck. Unless we pay a ransom to trade up, we'll be without the 2 franchise QBs coming into the league next year. :wall:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread