What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adrian Beltre (1 Viewer)

Will Adrian Beltre make the Hall of Fame?

• Yes

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • No

Votes: 19 45.2%

• Total voters

whoknew

Footballguy
I was shocked to hear that Beltre - who is just 32 - already has 2000 hits. He also has 299 home runs.

Obviously his 2004 season is the outlier, but its certainly conceivable that Beltre could go 3000/400 for his career as a 3B - with only one truly great season.

Using pro-rated 2011 stats, Bill James' Favorite Toy model gives Beltre a 22% chance of reaching 3000 hits. This is up from 16% a year ago. It's not inconceivable but Beltre has always had problems staying healthy.

3000 doesn't necessarily make him a Hall of Famer though.

Don't think Biggio will get in. Especially once Damon gets 3k.

Beltre has had 2.5 good seasons in his career. He has no shot.

Using pro-rated 2011 stats, Bill James' Favorite Toy model gives Beltre a 22% chance of reaching 3000 hits. This is up from 16% a year ago. It's not inconceivable but Beltre has always had problems staying healthy.3000 doesn't necessarily make him a Hall of Famer though.
How many 3K hitters are not in?

Using pro-rated 2011 stats, Bill James' Favorite Toy model gives Beltre a 22% chance of reaching 3000 hits. This is up from 16% a year ago. It's not inconceivable but Beltre has always had problems staying healthy.3000 doesn't necessarily make him a Hall of Famer though.
Four.Pete Rose, Derek Jeter, Craig Biggio, Rafael Palmeiro

Beltre's current .275 lifetime average would be the lowest among members of the 3,000 hit club. It's likely to regress a bit towards the end of his career.His MVP shares and All Star record is less impressive than even Thome's. Beltre's one pantheon year also fell during the height of the steroid era.

I think he needs another 5 elite years for there to be a serious discussion. Baseball reference lists his top comparables through his age as Ron Santo, Cal Ripken, and Scott Rolen. Santo got some HOF support, and may get in eventually through the veterans route, but he played in a more pitcher-friendly era and has a lot more off-the-field factors in his favor than Beltre. Ripken had another decade of top productivity. I don't think Rolen gets anywhere close to HOF.

Rose is banned, Jeter will be in. Palmeiro has the numbers but the cheating will hurt him. Biggio always reminded me of just a real solid player.. not HOF type. Can`t argue with the 3k though.

Last edited by a moderator:
As we approach the season, bump up to start the HOF watch again for Beltre.

Through last season, he has 2033 hits and 310 home runs.

He will be in Texas through at least 2015. Those 4 years should put him over 400 career HRs. How close will he get to 3000 hits?

(Sort of) Midseason update for Beltre:

2012 -- .322/.352/.525 with 17 HRs

Career - .278/.330/.471 with 327 HRs and 2142 hits

He's in his year 33 season.

End of Season Update -

Just a ho-hum .921 OPS with 36 HRs and another gold glove.

Career - .280/.331/.476 with 346 HRs and 2227 hits. 4 gold gloves.

Hall of fame lock.

If he can stay healthy, playing in Arlington for the tail end of his career will certainly help his chances.

Bill James' favorite toy now gives Beltre a 52% chance of reaching 3,000 hits and 83% chance of 450 HRs.

Won't happen.

There has never been an Adrian elected to the Hall of Fame.

There has however been elected a Dazzy, an Eppa, and a Pud.

Won't happen. There has never been an Adrian elected to the Hall of Fame.There has however been elected a Dazzy, an Eppa, and a Pud.
Adrian Dantley was recently elected to the basketball hall of fame. Maybe baseball writers will follow their lead in breaking through the Adrian barrier.

Scott Rolen is going to become eligible for the Hall several years before Beltre with career numbers that aren't as impressive. If Rolen stays on the ballot for a few years, I think that'll be a positive sign for Beltre.

The voters have made some weird collective decisions around 3B in the past. Darrell Evans was one and done with 1.7%. Graig Nettles stuck around for four years but never did better than 8.3%.

End of Season Update -Just a ho-hum .921 OPS with 36 HRs and another gold glove.Career - .280/.331/.476 with 346 HRs and 2227 hits. 4 gold gloves.Hall of fame lock.
Bump up as we are about to start the season. Assuming he stays healthy - HOF lock.

Mid-season update - .311 with 22 HRs. .882 OPS. 131 OPS+

Career -

.281 average

810 OPS

113 OPS+

2336 hits

364 HRs

And, of course, the gold glove defense.

This is his 34 year old season.

HOF lock.

3000 hits a real possibility at this point. 400+ HRs, maybe 450 which would get him into the top 40 of all-time.

His defense is going to set him apart from others at his position during this time. Still some work to do, but I see him going in.

3000 hits a real possibility at this point. 400+ HRs, maybe 450 which would get him into the top 40 of all-time.

His defense is going to set him apart from others at his position during this time. Still some work to do, but I see him going in.
If you pro-rate his partial 2013 stats over 155 games and run the updated numbers against Bill James' Favorite Toy, it gives him a 97% chance at reaching 450 and a 67% chance of reaching 500. That would move him into lock territory unless some PED allegations arise. He still needs to finish strong though. Any major injury now hurts his chances even if he returns at full strength.

Been a while since I updated this, but he just signed a 2 year extension and 2782 hits and 415 HRs (as well as, of course, all of his other numbers and accomplishments). Pretty solid he will get to 300 hits and ... 450 HRs?

Pretty amazing late career for the guy. I reckon if we did this poll again, the results would be a lot different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:  now has a 64% chance of reaching 500 HRs and a 97% chance at 3,000 hits.
That seems high.  If he hits 12 more homers this year (for a total of 21, which is greater than either of the last 2 years), he will still need 3 more seasons of 22 HR to get to 500.  How is that % calculated?

:goodposting:

He's a 100% lock.

1) Longevity is important. 

2) You can't just show up every day for 20 years and get 3000 hits. You actually, you know, have to get a lot of hits. For a lot of years. 
Agreed, my original post about him not getting in was from 2011

Users who are viewing this thread