What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Does your league have IR? (1 Viewer)

Does your league have IR?

• Yes

Votes: 27 67.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 32.5%

• Total voters

NinerK

Footballguy
We are trying to implement IR in our local league. Just curious if the majority of leagues have IR.

Our rule would be if a player goes on IR he must stay there for 4 weeks minimum.

We are on CBS Sportsline so if anybody has IR on CBS Sportsline would be great to know if CBS limits who can be placed on IR.

For example, does the site automatically restrict players from going to IR if they are not on the NFL Injury Report?

Yes, but I'm on Yahoo. And it is a keeper league (keep 3 players).

The rule is you can ONLY put someone there if they are officially on the NFL Injured Reserve list.

So that means they are done for the season, but still could be kept next year if you chose them.

Makes no sense for a redraft league. I don't like the idea of getting to choose just any player and put them on IR.

FWIW in a MFL dynasty we use it. You can put a player on IR only if they are on IR in the real NFL or suspended by NFL. We have to activate the player before the draft and choose whether or not to keep them or drop them (we cut to 24 before the draft).

So there is no carryover. If you wanted to keep Vick, Plax etc. you would have had to reactivate them and hold them going into the draft, or draft them or pick them up after the draft. Both of those players were dropped BTW.

I use CBS and have a single IR slot. Commisioners can set whether or not the site regulates it to only guys officially on the NFL IR or not. We don't go that route since it is re-draft.

We are pretty liberal about it. As long as the CBS page shows him as injured with the symbol you can put him on IR. We don't place a floor on how many weeks they have to stay there either. I guess I just think of it as another roster spot that has to be managed differently and provides another option for owners. Might not be for everyone, but it hasn't been a problem for us. Once and awhile I have to bird dog it as commish to make sure an owner didn't "miss" the fact that his CBS status changed to uninjured. I don't bust anyone that had it change on game day, they just have to mae a move by the next one. About the most anyone has ever "gamed" the system is by using it to save a single drop fee, and to me thats just good fiscal responsibility.

It still leads to some decisions when you have multiple injured guys.

12 team dynasty 27 man rosters. We have an additional 2 "IR" spots (making rosters 29) but they are more or less practice squad spots.

Rule is you designate your IR players before week 1, those 2 players cannot be touched all season, no starting them, no trading them, no cutting them, and no swapping players in and out of the spots. We just installed these spots last season, and I must say I love them.

Just as an example Demaryius Thomas and James Casey were my 2 last season.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use CBS and have a single IR slot. Commisioners can set whether or not the site regulates it to only guys officially on the NFL IR or not. We don't go that route since it is re-draft. We are pretty liberal about it. As long as the CBS page shows him as injured with the symbol you can put him on IR. We don't place a floor on how many weeks they have to stay there either. I guess I just think of it as another roster spot that has to be managed differently and provides another option for owners. Might not be for everyone, but it hasn't been a problem for us. Once and awhile I have to bird dog it as commish to make sure an owner didn't "miss" the fact that his CBS status changed to uninjured. I don't bust anyone that had it change on game day, they just have to mae a move by the next one. About the most anyone has ever "gamed" the system is by using it to save a single drop fee, and to me thats just good fiscal responsibility.It still leads to some decisions when you have multiple injured guys.
Thanks Red Dogg! This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. We are going to have the same rule: The player has to have the "red cross" symbol in order to be placed on IR. I guess having the minimum 4 weeks is a bit much, then again it's a friends league with lots of owners who will shoot the angles.

26 player dynasty and we allow 2 IRs. Conditions:

1. Typically it requires NFL IR designation, but have used flexibility/approval if the player will be out via reputable source for the vast majority of the FF season.

2. In an exception scenario, the team precludes itself from re-activating. Once IR'd, he's done for the year.

3. If subsequent IRs occur, the FF team needs to make room to IR 3rd, 4th, etc. players

I'm playing in a 12 team, 18 man roster keeper league (CBS) with 1 additional IR spot. The player has to be officially on IR or "out for season". That's helpful when you want to keep that injured player at the end of the season but don't want to waste a roster spot during regular season.

16 team 30 man dynasty rosters, unlimited IR spots. A player needs to be designated on IR to be deactivated, this then frees up a roster spot.

We used to until we had one owner cry, cry, cry because a player (I forgot who, it was 10 years ago) didn't make the trip to KC for a game one week. He wanted to put him on IR and pick a replacement. I said no and he threw a fit. Following year we got rid of IR totally, and the owner.

I use CBS and have a single IR slot. Commisioners can set whether or not the site regulates it to only guys officially on the NFL IR or not. We don't go that route since it is re-draft. We are pretty liberal about it. As long as the CBS page shows him as injured with the symbol you can put him on IR. We don't place a floor on how many weeks they have to stay there either. I guess I just think of it as another roster spot that has to be managed differently and provides another option for owners. Might not be for everyone, but it hasn't been a problem for us. Once and awhile I have to bird dog it as commish to make sure an owner didn't "miss" the fact that his CBS status changed to uninjured. I don't bust anyone that had it change on game day, they just have to mae a move by the next one. About the most anyone has ever "gamed" the system is by using it to save a single drop fee, and to me thats just good fiscal responsibility.It still leads to some decisions when you have multiple injured guys.
Thanks Red Dogg! This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. We are going to have the same rule: The player has to have the "red cross" symbol in order to be placed on IR. I guess having the minimum 4 weeks is a bit much, then again it's a friends league with lots of owners who will shoot the angles.
It's just so much of a hassle to keep on top of owners whether they accidentally or intentionally skirt the IR rules. If it's redraft why bother? Just add another roster spot, it saves from any potential headaches.

Last edited by a moderator:
We used to have it and the player had to be out or doubtful to be on the IR. Problem was we had owners who didn't check in to the site often enough and were carrying players who were questionable and as a commissoner I had to try to contact them and tell them they could no longer have the player on the IR. We dropped it and added a roster position.

We used to have it and the player had to be out or doubtful to be on the IR. Problem was we had owners who didn't check in to the site often enough and were carrying players who were questionable and as a commissoner I had to try to contact them and tell them they could no longer have the player on the IR. We dropped it and added a roster position.
Yeah in my ESPN league we had an IR spot like that and it was a hassle. In dynasty I think the only reasonable option is to replicate the NFL system as closely as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread