What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ed Dickson (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
Yes he's putting up big numbers, but he's also getting targeted a LOT. He might be a better choice than a lot of the guys that have been promoted around here (Lance Kendricks, for example.)

This is the most recent thread I can find on Dickson unless I'm missing something. Strangely, the month old question still is rings true...lots of targets but not a lot of results over 4 weeks.

Week 4: 4 REC, 42 YDS, 0 TD, 12 Targets

Week 3: 5 REC, 51 YDS, 0 TD, 9 Targets

Week 2: 2 REC, 25 YDS, 0 TD, 6 Targets

Week 1: 5 REC, 59 YDS, 1 TD, 5 Targets

Any homers have a take?

I like the kid. Picked him up in one league. He does get a lot of looks, but Flacco has been pretty innacurate the last few weeks. One of those last week should have definitely been caught for about 25 yards though. :shrug:

If you watched the game - I thought it was kind of sad. Maybe my perception was jaded since I was starting Dickson in lieu of Gates. But the dude CANNOT catch - looked to me like a dropped multiple catchable balls, including one for a long gain that a superior talent definitely would have made. Obviously, not all of his targets were catchable... Flacco was also pretty inaccurate and several of his targets would have taken an extraordinary effort to bring in.

It takes skill, on behalf of the QB and the TE, for targets to translate into points. Not sure either is there with these two.

If you watched the game - I thought it was kind of sad. Maybe my perception was jaded since I was starting Dickson in lieu of Gates. But the dude CANNOT catch - looked to me like a dropped multiple catchable balls, including one for a long gain that a superior talent definitely would have made. Obviously, not all of his targets were catchable... Flacco was also pretty inaccurate and several of his targets would have taken an extraordinary effort to bring in.It takes skill, on behalf of the QB and the TE, for targets to translate into points. Not sure either is there with these two.
agreed he left a ton of yards and catches on the table.

I will be drafting him in the 2nd round of our rookie/vet draft seeing as my other TE is in jail

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wrote up a quick post. Dickson and PItta are super comparable as prospects coming out of college, but Dickson had a markedly better Dominator Rating, and in his sophomore NFL season, converted 12 redzone targets into 5 touchdowns. Even if Dickson isn't as good as Pitta (and I don't think he is), the Ravens won't have any option but to use him.

KellysHeroes said:
Phenix said:
For value sake, offered him to a Pitta owner for a 2014 2nd... REJECTED!
wow
not sure why this surprises you. I've seen Owen Daniels sold for a 3rd. Plenty of cheap stopgap options.As much as I like Dickson, id still rather have guys like Cameron, Julius Thomas, housler, etc... to me his value falls after those guys

KellysHeroes said:
Phenix said:
wow
not sure why this surprises you. I've seen Owen Daniels sold for a 3rd. Plenty of cheap stopgap options.As much as I like Dickson, id still rather have guys like Cameron, Julius Thomas, housler, etc... to me his value falls after those guys
It's not like Dickson was considered dog meat coming out of college. He was actually ranked higher than Pitta in some circles. As for Julius Thomas, staring at that 3 WR set of D Thomas, Welker, and Decker, I don't see enough balls for Thomas even if starts, which is also very much in doubt.

KellysHeroes said:
Phenix said:
wow
It's not like Dickson was considered dog meat coming out of college. He was actually ranked higher than Pitta in some circles. As for Julius Thomas, staring at that 3 WR set of D Thomas, Welker, and Decker, I don't see enough balls for Thomas even if starts, which is also very much in doubt.
Dickson was drafted ahead of Pitta, I know. I posted that on twitter earlier and many people thought he was the better prospect maybe even going into last year. However, I see more upside in those other guys while they are all unproven. Now if Dickson has a few good games to kickoff the season then he would be worth something although expecting a 2nd round pick when he was a waiver pick is a stretch. Many people thought Luke Stocker was a decent prospect, and hes going for peanuts.As for Julius, 3 wr still leaves room for a TE on the field. If he earns Peyton's trust he'll get his. That year Stokley had 1000 yes Clark and Pollard still combined for 54 732 11. Edge caught like 50 balls as well. There is room for Julius

KellysHeroes said:
Phenix said:
wow
not sure many people are selling Cameron and Housler for 2nds unless its a real shallow league. And if you rather roll with Thomas over Dickson thats your opinion, i would pay up if I was a Pitta owner w/out a back up plan

KellysHeroes said:
Phenix said:
wow
not sure many people are selling Cameron and Housler for 2nds unless its a real shallow league. And if you rather roll with Thomas over Dickson thats your opinion, i would pay up if I was a Pitta owner w/out a back up plan
Full disclosure: Loose Circuits aka Rolling_AKG (Shhh, I'm not supposed to know) happens to be in a league with me and is trying to peddle a TE to the same owner and is attempting to lower Dicksons value. He also believes that Julius Thomas is relevant, what other reason would any human being bring up Julius Thomas a s replacement for Pitta otherwise. lmfao.

He did the same thing in the Chris Ivory thread, called him out there as well.

So the point, take his assumptions against Dickson with a grain of salt.

**The same guy also did not set a lineup one time last year while points champ, also traded decker and wilson for austin and also left an offer for kendall hunter for greg olsen last year, and yes being shady I guess I took it 3 seconds after Hunter was hurt. Guy is not the slickest, but he tries.**

Dickson is bigger and faster than Pitta, but he kind of sucks. Not elusive but worst of all are his terrible hands. He drops everything. Ravens are already in talks with Vishante Shiancoe and I wouldn't be surprised to see them re-sign Vonta Leach and move the rookie Harvard fullback they drafted to Tight End.

Dickson will be the #1 guy, but his numbers will be mediocre.

Dickson is bigger and faster than Pitta, but he kind of sucks. Not elusive but worst of all are his terrible hands. He drops everything. Ravens are already in talks with Vishante Shiancoe and I wouldn't be surprised to see them re-sign Vonta Leach and move the rookie Harvard fullback they drafted to Tight End.

Not bigger, not faster. So.

:goodposting:

I expect him to step in and at least come close to replicating the replaceable Pitta's numbers but he's not going to win your league for you. He should be another of the huge pack of middling starters in TE-required leagues, and nice flex depth in TE-favored leagues.

I don't see anyone else to get targets in BAL. Even if one of the other WR's steps up, there is quite a hole to fill target wise. Not really sure who Flacco's supposed to go to. Seems to me that Dickson is a TE1 by default, I'd be shocked at this point if he didnt get in excess of 100 targets. If they bring someone else in maybe that'll change. I'd kinda like to see Lloyd land there, could bring some fantasy goodness.

I don't see anyone else to get targets in BAL. Even if one of the other WR's steps up, there is quite a hole to fill target wise. Not really sure who Flacco's supposed to go to. Seems to me that Dickson is a TE1 by default, I'd be shocked at this point if he didnt get in excess of 100 targets. If they bring someone else in maybe that'll change. I'd kinda like to see Lloyd land there, could bring some fantasy goodness.
I don't understand FBG sometimes and the contributors logic.

How does a TE with opportunity and now upside who is 26 who was well on the way to getting more playing time than last year anyways and now the guy directly in front of him has his career is in limbo and on a team with no other passing options besides Smith not have insane value as a TE1 right now?

Dickson had a legit second season posting 54/528/5 with 89 targets, after being the typical not play much guy in his rookie season, and was hurt a bit last year himself... he has produced before. Pitta was a huge target but sometimes its the position not the player.

Now more polished, in a better situation and without competition some say "He will not produce." Well guess what, people still love Finley and he sucks every year, and it never changes his value as a #1 TE because of opportunity and team around him.

So why is Dickson not a TE1 to you, your gut feeling? Well, I have a gut feeling I'll win the lotto, I'll see how that works for me.

Dickson, unquestioned #1 TE on a team with no options and a QB who loves the TE = Top 12 TE

But, over think it, thats what FBGers do.

KellysHeroes said:
Phenix said:
wow
Full disclosure: Loose Circuits aka Rolling_AKG (Shhh, I'm not supposed to know) happens to be in a league with me and is trying to peddle a TE to the same owner and is attempting to lower Dicksons value. He also believes that Julius Thomas is relevant, what other reason would any human being bring up Julius Thomas a s replacement for Pitta otherwise. lmfao.

**The same guy also did not set a lineup one time last year while points champ, also traded decker and wilson for austin and also left an offer for kendall hunter for greg olsen last year, and yes being shady I guess I took it 3 seconds after Hunter was hurt. Guy is not the slickest, but he tries.**
you really need to get back on your medication. The people that I am in leagues with know who I am and that I'm not this guy you speak of...does he seriously own Julius Thomas too? What a coincidence...

Possible that BAL will bring in another veteran either when camp casualties start happening or through a trade. In the absence of that (and maybe even then) a healthy Dickson should be in the discusssion at least for inclusion in top 12. IIRC health has been an issue in his first years on the job, though.

KellysHeroes said:
Phenix said:
wow

you really need to get back on your medication. The people that I am in leagues with know who I am and that I'm not this guy you speak of...does he seriously own Julius Thomas too? What a coincidence...
K, whatever you say Dogs, I'm sure you have many aliases.

No medication here, however, but maybe they make some for denial.

Like last time, I'll let you have last word for one more denial as this is not the place, lets argue in our league message forum.

Possible that BAL will bring in another veteran either when camp casualties start happening or through a trade. In the absence of that (and maybe even then) a healthy Dickson should be in the discusssion at least for inclusion in top 12. IIRC health has been an issue in his first years on the job, though.
Who could they bring in or trade for who could step in and be a bigger factor?

How does a TE with opportunity and now upside who is 26 who was well on the way to getting more playing time than last year anyways and now the guy directly in front of him has his career is in limbo and on a team with no other passing options besides Smith not have insane value as a TE1 right now?

Dickson had a legit second season posting 54/528/5 with 89 targets, after being the typical not play much guy in his rookie season, and was hurt a bit last year himself... he has produced before. Pitta was a huge target but sometimes its the position not the player.

Now more polished, in a better situation and without competition some say "He will not produce." Well guess what, people still love Finley and he sucks every year, and it never changes his value as a #1 TE because of opportunity and team around him.

So why is Dickson not a TE1 to you, your gut feeling? Well, I have a gut feeling I'll win the lotto, I'll see how that works for me.

Dickson, unquestioned #1 TE on a team with no options and a QB who loves the TE = Top 12 TE

Im not sure if you realize that we agree or not haha. I loved pitta coming into the year, and if dickson is in his role ill love him as well. All i was saying is that ed is an obvious te1 right now

Im not sure if you realize that we agree or not haha. I loved pitta coming into the year, and if dickson is in his role ill love him as well. All i was saying is that ed is an obvious te1 right now
I was siding with you, lol, just helping you make your case.

where are people ranking Dicky today. Seen Pitta inbetween 5 and 10 but no way would I consider Dickerson there until a solid yr of production.

Y'all would really do well to listen to what The_Man said (Macca reference for you yutes) - he's the best Ravens' evaluator on this board. Dickson's fast but can't catch like Pitta. Good blocker, though.

Not bigger, not faster. So.
Wrong and wrong. So

I was siding with you, lol, just helping you make your case.
Haha alrighty then. Sorry I was just confused.

where are people ranking Dicky today. Seen Pitta inbetween 5 and 10 but no way would I consider Dickerson there until a solid yr of production.
Right now I have Dickson as TE8 with a 70/800/8 stat line. That may end up being conservative as Flacco may target him more than the 111 times i have projected

Right now I have Dickson as TE8 with a 70/800/8 stat line. That may end up being conservative as Flacco may target him more than the 111 times i have projected
I would say more like 63/730/7 similar to Pittas stats from last year, as Pitta didnt really come on strong to late, and I am not saying Dickson is as good as Pitta.. but from the shear opportunity he will get he will put up numbers. Even if he does not catch as good or is not as fast or any other rhetoric and hyperbole laced sentence would describe. Fact is he would not be the #2 TE if he was not good enough, he already shown he could put up 54 catches with almost 600 yards and 5 scores, so that is his floor to me.

I hate catch % as a rule, but when you're talking about two guys from the same team playing the same positions and cast in a similar role it does make some sense:

Pitta 174 targets, 102 catches -- 58.6%

Dickson 158 targets, 86 catches -- 54.4%

Neither guy is a world-beater, which is great for Dickson since it means he's more than capable of taking over most of Pitta's projected production. I'm pencilling him in for 58-610-4 (~TE13).

Users who are viewing this thread