What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brady to Fans (1 Viewer)

Cunk

Footballguy
From Boston.com:

With the home opener approaching, the Patriots quarterback was asked if he had any message for the fans heading to Foxborough to see the Patriots-Chargers game.

"Yeah, start drinking early," Brady said with a snicker. "Get nice and rowdy. It's a 4:15 game, a lot of time to get lubed up. Come out here, and cheer for the home team."

The Patriots later clarified the "drinking early" remark on behalf of Brady, telling the assembled media, "He meant 'stay hydrated, drink a lot of water. Be loud, drink responsibly.'"

Yeah, that's what Brady meant. :lmao:

My link

From Boston.com:

With the home opener approaching, the Patriots quarterback was asked if he had any message for the fans heading to Foxborough to see the Patriots-Chargers game.

"Yeah, start drinking early," Brady said with a snicker. "Get nice and rowdy. It's a 4:15 game, a lot of time to get lubed up. Come out here, and cheer for the home team."

The Patriots later clarified the "drinking early" remark on behalf of Brady, telling the assembled media, "He meant 'stay hydrated, drink a lot of water. Be loud, drink responsibly.'"

My link
Nice. I like it. Brady is the ####.

CA - Is Brady right? Fixboro a relatively quiet stadium?
The stadium is quiet moreso than the fans. It is a modern open end stadium where all the money seats are in the middle. The luxury boxes through the whole middle of the stadium reduce the crowd noise quite a lot. The old Foxborough was a lot louder for physical reasons, not to mention that you don't need to be in your seat to see the game. Its a really cool stadium but it's not built for noise. Not that any of the money-making stadiums are.

No, that's not true. It probably doesn't sound as loud as other stadiums, but we certainly hold our own. I think what happens is when they end up with a big lead, there's less to cheer about, but when the game is good, Pats fans are just as loud as any other fan.

From Boston.com:

My link
Ah Massachusetts, the South of the North.

His comments are related to the fact that Brady can't stand how quite Pat fans are during home games. He is obviously taking a different approach than last year (a more positive one) to try and get fans more to be louder during the games. I really like his approach, but don't think he is going to change the fact that Pats fans are generally quite in comparison to others.
Quiet. Not quite. Anyhow, I think I like Brady a bit more after this news.

Good old Brady. Love the Pats or hate the Pats (or the guy), you gotta love the swagger. Funny stuff. I love the Patriots (ahem) official announcement/reaction/clarification of what Tom was "trying to say".

Priceless.

The stadium is quiet moreso than the fans. It is a modern open end stadium where all the money seats are in the middle. The luxury boxes through the whole middle of the stadium reduce the crowd noise quite a lot. The old Foxborough was a lot louder for physical reasons, not to mention that you don't need to be in your seat to see the game. Its a really cool stadium but it's not built for noise. Not that any of the money-making stadiums are.
:goodposting: This.I haven't been to other stadiums, so I could not provide a comparison. Most fans in NE believe that the lack of noise issue has a lot to do with the open concept design of the stadium and less to do with the actual fans. But I've heard from some that work in at the stadium - such as those in the Marketing area - and they contend that Pats fans are generally quieter than fans at other stadiums.

Brady hasn't been the only Patriot either to call out Pats fans for being too quiet - Richard Seymour did the same thing in 2005.

Other reasons blamed for the lack of noise that I have heard from various places, none of which I really believe in:

- Patriots had so much success early in the 2000s that they attracted many more casual fans to the stadium, and it is believed that those fans do not cheer as much

- Tickets are priced so high and parking is so expensive that the more "yuppies" (for a lack of a better word) attend games, and it is believed that those fans do not cheer as much

- The NE crowd is generally older than other crowds, and those fans do not cheer as much

From my own experience at games - I think the crowd is always into it. For the games I've gone to, I was standing probably 60-70% of the game because everyone else was standing and cheering.

His comments are related to the fact that Brady can't stand how quite Pat fans are during home games. He is obviously taking a different approach than last year (a more positive one) to try and get fans more to be louder during the games. I really like his approach, but don't think he is going to change the fact that Pats fans are generally quite in comparison to others.
Quiet. Not quite. Anyhow, I think I like Brady a bit more after this news.
Thank you Dr. Grammar ;) - that's my dyslexia showing itself.

Seattle disagrees.

Seattle disagrees.
Well, not really a fair comparison. Everybody knows that people from the Northwest are a lot more rowdy and loud, whereas people from the Northeast have a tendency to be more polite.

:goodposting: This.I haven't been to other stadiums, so I could not provide a comparison. Most fans in NE believe that the lack of noise issue has a lot to do with the open concept design of the stadium and less to do with the actual fans. But I've heard from some that work in at the stadium - such as those in the Marketing area - and they contend that Pats fans are generally quieter than fans at other stadiums.

Brady hasn't been the only Patriot either to call out Pats fans for being too quiet - Richard Seymour did the same thing in 2005.

Other reasons blamed for the lack of noise that I have heard from various places, none of which I really believe in:

- Patriots had so much success early in the 2000s that they attracted many more casual fans to the stadium, and it is believed that those fans do not cheer as much

- Tickets are priced so high and parking is so expensive that the more "yuppies" (for a lack of a better word) attend games, and it is believed that those fans do not cheer as much

- The NE crowd is generally older than other crowds, and those fans do not cheer as much

From my own experience at games - I think the crowd is always into it. For the games I've gone to, I was standing probably 60-70% of the game because everyone else was standing and cheering.
Thanks. It seemed to me that the crowd was pretty loud during big games. But that was just on television, so I couldn't say for sure.

Seattle disagrees.
Seattle has a stadium with different acoustics. Its got a partial roof that redirects noise back onto the field, rather than Gillette stadium which is all open with no reverb.I suppose you were trying to prove me wrong or be cute, but in fact you are just supporting my argument.

Brady is awesome. :banned: :thumbup: We've got the best player in the NFL, if not the history of the game.

Hate to throw my fellow Patriots fans under the bus, but you're all full of :bs: The stadium is quiet because the fans are quiet (primarily the season ticket holders). They've become spoiled by the success of the team. The setup of the stadium is a convenient and, frankly, rather pathetic excuse.

Remember the time the fans cheered as the away team scored... because they had just flashed the Red Sox score on the scoreboard? :rolleyes:

Seattle disagrees.
Well, not really a fair comparison. Everybody knows that people from the Northwest are a lot more rowdy and loud, whereas people from the Northeast have a tendency to be more polite.
Good point. New York and Philly are famous world wide for their mild mannered, jovial sports fans. :unsure:

The fact that the media dissects an innocent, funny quote like this and some will say it was out of line; is why athletes never say anything remotely interesting anymore. No celebrating. No taunting. Few kickoff returns. You can't say people will have a few drinks. Are we playing football or going to Sunday School? Killers on the field, soft-spoken, thoughtful gentlemen off it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that the media dissects an innocent, funny quote like this and some will say it was out of line; is why athletes never say anything remotely interesting anymore. No celebrating. No taunting. Few kickoff returns. You can't say people will have a few drinks. Are we playing football or going to Sunday School? Killers on the field, soft-spoken, thoughtful gentlemen off it.
:goodposting:

Brady is awesome. :banned: :thumbup: We've got the best player in the NFL, if not the history of the game.Hate to throw my fellow Patriots fans under the bus, but you're all full of :bs: The stadium is quiet because the fans are quiet (primarily the season ticket holders). They've become spoiled by the success of the team. The setup of the stadium is a convenient and, frankly, rather pathetic excuse.Remember the time the fans cheered as the away team scored... because they had just flashed the Red Sox score on the scoreboard? :rolleyes:
Agreed. It's the success of the team that has quieted the crowd. Sometimes it's because we are in awe, like 85!

So why would an organization who cares so much about its image, try to cover up a honest and funny statement from its QB, by making its fans look stupid?

Does that not defeat the purpose? Its all part of what are "less then smart" sociecty expects i guess.

Personally, I'm not a yeller and screamer at games. I don't feel the need to just scream nothingness. If it's natural, sure I'll yell something like "nice!" or something like that.

I dread the "MAKE SOME NOISE!!" messages at games. What kind of noise exactly? Just noise? Can I just yell "BEEBLE DE FWIP FWIP JORNTA JORTA!!!!!" if that's all you want is noise? The teams won't notice a difference. If it's not natural then it's just stupid.

Brady is awesome. :banned: :thumbup: We've got the best player in the NFL, if not the history of the game.Hate to throw my fellow Patriots fans under the bus, but you're all full of :bs: The stadium is quiet because the fans are quiet (primarily the season ticket holders). They've become spoiled by the success of the team. The setup of the stadium is a convenient and, frankly, rather pathetic excuse.Remember the time the fans cheered as the away team scored... because they had just flashed the Red Sox score on the scoreboard? :rolleyes:
THIS.The Gillette crowd sucks a heavy one. I finally gave up my Season Tickets this year because the fans suck so bad.

Forget the media...the Pats spin of it was terrible.

what will Ted Bruschi think of these remarks? "Drop the awe factor, Brady, drop the awe factor. You're not a fan alright?"

Put me in the "It's the fans, not the stadium" group.

Spoiled by success. More casual fans. It's not like it used to be - whether that was 3 decades ago, or late 90s early 00s when the team was gaining support for being decent - it is not as raucous as it had been in years past.

The test is a simple one: pay attention to crowd noise and you'll notice that it is better later in the season when it's cold. All the fair weather fans stay home b/c it's too cold and the place gets significantly louder as the seats are filled (or hovered over) by football fans.

- Tickets are priced so high and parking is so expensive that the more "yuppies" (for a lack of a better word) attend games, and it is believed that those fans do not cheer as much.
This.Born a Sox/Pats/Bruins fan. Been a season ticket holder since '94.

What really gets to me isn't the lack of noise for the Pats when on defense, but the noise when the Pats are on O. "Hey stupid little ##### in front of me... yeah, you in the Patriots pink hat who's at your first game ever... Don't turn around and give me #### because I'm not cheering when it's 3rd and inches for the Pats. Don't you get that you should be quiet right now?"

It's gotten so bad, that the Gillette signage now has to say "Shhhhhhh, offense at work!" when the O is on the field. :rant:

But this is indicative of the success the Pats and Red Sox have had recently. Going to Fenway or Gillette has now become a social outing for some; those who couldn't name ten guys from the Pats or Sox combined. It's a frequent hot topic on talk radio around here. :boxing:

Put me in the "It's the fans, not the stadium" group. Spoiled by success. More casual fans. It's not like it used to be - whether that was 3 decades ago, or late 90s early 00s when the team was gaining support for being decent - it is not as raucous as it had been in years past.The test is a simple one: pay attention to crowd noise and you'll notice that it is better later in the season when it's cold. All the fair weather fans stay home b/c it's too cold and the place gets significantly louder as the seats are filled (or hovered over) by football fans.
This as well.My buds and I make the same observations. MUCH more women/kids earlier in the season. Not so much when the temps hits the teens. :rolleyes:

Personally, I'm not a yeller and screamer at games. I don't feel the need to just scream nothingness. If it's natural, sure I'll yell something like "nice!" or something like that.I dread the "MAKE SOME NOISE!!" messages at games. What kind of noise exactly? Just noise? Can I just yell "BEEBLE DE FWIP FWIP JORNTA JORTA!!!!!" if that's all you want is noise? The teams won't notice a difference. If it's not natural then it's just stupid.
There's always some hooligan at every game who takes it upon himself to get up, turn around, look at everyone in his section and yell "stand up!" or some other jibberish to get his local crowd going. I don't take to authority too well, so I always end up resenting that dude.

How PC of the Pats. Why even bother making a stupid statement like that? To all fans..."Make sure you properly hydrate, bring hand sanitizer to keep those nasty germs away, bring some healthy organic snacks and have a super duper time!!!"

How PC of the Pats. Why even bother making a stupid statement like that? To all fans..."Make sure you properly hydrate, bring hand sanitizer to keep those nasty germs away, bring some healthy organic snacks and have a super duper time!!!"
Probably because if they didn't, then some ####### would get too drunk and get alcohol poisoning/crash his car and then sue the patriots, tom brady, budweiser, and the beer vendor because Tom told him to get drunk. Sucks.... but that's the society we live in today.

Probably because if they didn't, then some ####### would get too drunk and get alcohol poisoning/crash his car and then sue the patriots, tom brady, budweiser, and the beer vendor because Tom told him to get drunk. Sucks.... but that's the society we live in today.
unfortunately you're probably right. Tom Brady told me to get drunk, so i did, then on the way home I ran a red light and killed someone so it's clearly Bradys' fault. I'm not a Pat or Brady fan but thought the quote was great and real. Unfortunately, that's not allowed anymore....

'3 hour lunch said:
Blame the lawyers who would (and probably still will) use this in any death, car crash and/or fight that in any way shape of form relates to alcohol with 'fostering and contributing to an environment which encouraged the over-consumption of alcohol that proximately caused _____'s injuries"... :bag:

Success for 10+ years means the fans are taking some of it for granted. Not all of them, but I remember similar complaints about Candlestick in the late 80s/early 90's.

'Cunk said:
Personally, I'm not a yeller and screamer at games. I don't feel the need to just scream nothingness. If it's natural, sure I'll yell something like "nice!" or something like that.I dread the "MAKE SOME NOISE!!" messages at games. What kind of noise exactly? Just noise? Can I just yell "BEEBLE DE FWIP FWIP JORNTA JORTA!!!!!" if that's all you want is noise? The teams won't notice a difference. If it's not natural then it's just stupid.
My dad used to tell me about games back in his day. He said it was so nice with no piped in music, huge signs telling you to make noise and a DJ blaring music every 20 seconds. He said it was just as loud but more of the noise came from the actual fans. I have always thought about the slow build up he said you heard from the crowd as a big play unfolded and how it would reach a crescendo that would shake your chest like you were standing in front of 20 inch subwoofers.I think maybe all the fabricated "noise" that they hit you with today may actually take away from some of the fans getting loud.Of course my dad also goes out to get the paper in the morning in briefs (tighty whities) with no shirt and black socks pulled up to his knees and dress shoes on. He says it's early and no one's up yet. Trust me - they are.

'azgroover said:
'Cunk said:
There's always some hooligan at every game who takes it upon himself to get up, turn around, look at everyone in his section and yell "stand up!" or some other jibberish to get his local crowd going. I don't take to authority too well, so I always end up resenting that dude.
I hate that guy as well.

'azgroover said:
'Cunk said:
I'd much prefer that to a 100 foot jumbo LED board that has the same message typed in by some twit who randomly hits a preprogrammed button labeled "STAND UP!!" every 2 minutes as he chats on his phone and doesn't have any idea what's going on in the actual game that he wants us to "STAND UP!!" and cheer for.

Seattle disagrees.
Seattle has a stadium with different acoustics. Its got a partial roof that redirects noise back onto the field, rather than Gillette stadium which is all open with no reverb.I suppose you were trying to prove me wrong or be cute, but in fact you are just supporting my argument.
You claimed that none of the money-making stadiums are built for noise, Century Link directly disproves that statement.

Users who are viewing this thread