What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Miami Marlins (1 Viewer)

gump

Footballguy
The Marlins launch the new name and logo on Friday 11/11/11...at their brand new stadium. Stadium is on the site of the old OB...which some are concerned about (considering the neighborhood). But Loria has a VERY clear vision for what he wants....and this location ties into that. They are 'getting back the 305', so are much more concerned about the Miami-area fanbase (and tourists) than the Broward and Palm Beach people...everything they are doing points to that.

Marks - the new logo and colorways are extremely Miami-esque. In fact, MLB would likely never approve the look for any other city. Look for a lot of jersey and headwear color options.

Stadium - it's built with a visual priority, with other concerns taking a back seat (team store size, storage space, etc). It will be very unique. Some details:

- aquariums built into the wall behind home plate, visible at every pitch.

- 85% of the seats are behind home plate and down the baselines....with a focus on no poor views and most looking out at the city.

- a 60-feet high 'window' will be behind left field. The window can be open or shut, but will be clear when shut. It slides across a huge patio where fans can hang during the game. The view is fantastic of downtown Miami, and will really be something at night.

- a giant dolphin-themed home run mechanism will be visible at all times in CF...and will do something at every home run.

- it will be a pitchers park. Alleys are deep, and the wind should be coming in from downtown and left pretty consistently.

Here's a pic from behind home plate looking out to left...you can barely make out the city skyline in background (phone camera):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67185231@N08/6153009350/

We'll see if Loria's vision turns this into an improved MLB market. IMO he's doing what has to be done....go after the city of Miami and its incredible tourism $$. As it stands now, 60% of the Marlins fanbase is in Broward and PB....thats not working clearly.

And the Ozzie Guillen and Pujols rumors are certainly still strong in the area...I wouldn't put anything past Loria at this point....we'll see!

maybe they will draw 10,000 to a game once or twice next season
This will be a good test to see how much of a difference location can make. They'll sell out 37K on Opening Night...but we'll see how the Season Ticket sales go. The pricing is dynamic, and they'll have typical 20 and 40 game packages. The 40 games went on sale last week and started pretty strong relatively.

Logo is supposedly legit per Paul Lukas' blog. I'd like to see the entire branding and uni package but this first glimpse isn't awe inspiring.

I like the stylized marlin ... but the big "M" doesn't seem to fit with it. Too angular and suggestive of mountain peaks.

And since it's baseball, they should simplify their color scheme -- a nice deep teal & white scheme, with gray or beige road unis and Sunday teal jerseys, would look classic.

I like the stylized marlin ... but the big "M" doesn't seem to fit with it. Too angular and suggestive of mountain peaks.And since it's baseball, they should simplify their color scheme -- a nice deep teal & white scheme, with gray or beige road unis and Sunday teal jerseys, would look classic.
Classic ≠ Teal

I like the stylized marlin ... but the big "M" doesn't seem to fit with it. Too angular and suggestive of mountain peaks.
:goodposting: Cool marlin then they go and put it with a 70s/80s style M which made me think of mountains as well. And what's the deal with yellow?? Dear lord their unis are going to be godawful.

"Great. Now I want to put on some leg warmers and play

Missile Command." :lmao:
:lmao: Good lord that's horrible.

Anticipating how this plays out:

City dumps $200MM into stadium

Loria talks a big game about FAs but lands a couple mediocre pics bumping the salary all the way to...say...$60-70MM for the near term

Ticket sales slow by midseason as it turns out the team STILL isn't a contender

By Year 3, players are being dumped, and Loria begins using his shiny new stadium to continue fielding a subpar product and pocketing revenue sharing money.

And since it's baseball, they should simplify their color scheme -- a nice deep teal & white scheme, with gray or beige road unis and Sunday teal jerseys, would look classic.
Classic ≠ Teal
Has to be a dark shade of teal. Scroll down to PMS 322 on this page.
The color swatches were a very nice touch. Point conceded.It's not like I've ever seen any fans wearing Marlins gear

There will be 4 jersey options....3 basic and 1 everyone thinks will be very cool....and its not teal.

Fans will show up at first. But if its the same old losing Marlins then its all for nothing.

The Marlins need to make a big splash in free agency (Pujols/Fielder, etc...) to be a real team that draws a real crowd. If they dont, its a big waste of time, effort, and money.

And the Ozzie Guillen rumors are certainly still strong in the area...I wouldn't put anything past Loria at this point....we'll see!
Please make this happen.
Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that Ozzie Guillen is managing his final game with the White Sox on Monday night and is expected to traded to the Marlins.The writing has been on the wall for a few weeks now, but it sounds like Guillen's time in Chicago is finally over. Cowley has been told by multiple sources that the White Sox are in "the final stages" of completing a deal to send him to the Marlins. Guillen entered Monday's action with a 677-617 record (.523) over eight seasons as manager with the White Sox, including a World Series title in 2005. It's not clear who the White Sox would get in return, but it is unlikely to be a player of great significance, such as the rumored deal with Logan Morrison last off season.

I'm leaving work early today to go to Sun-Life Stadium to watch the last Marlins game to ever be played there.

Starting to get choked up inside. :mellow:

Damn I love leaving work early.

I'm leaving work early today to go to Sun-Life Stadium to watch the last Marlins game to ever be played there. Starting to get choked up inside. :mellow: Damn I love leaving work early.
Enjoy it. The Nats are giving Pudge the start at catcher today for the last game at Sun Life, should be a nice moment for him and the fans when he's announced.I'm looking forward to the new stadium becoming an NL East fixture and hopefully bringing in some crowds. I'm hoping to make a trip down there for a series during April/May or late September some time in the next couple years. I could see the new closer-to-downtown stadium drawing a lot of visiting fans during those months along with presumably much larger crowds supporting the home team.

There was a study done about 25 years ago that concluded that teal and black and the two most popular colors. That study resulted in every sports league either issuing teal and black as team colors to expansion teams, or shifting the color scheme of established franchises towards teal and black.

MLB:

Marlins - expansion team 1993 wearing teal and black

NFL:

Jaguars - both teal and black colors as expansion teams in 1995

Panthers - both teal and black colors as expansion teams in 1995

Eagles - changed color scheme in 1996 from a bright green and light grey to midnight green and black with some grey, moving closer to teal and black.

Lions - Added black outlines to the color scheme of honolulu blue and silver to move closer to teal and black.

NBA

Hornets - 1988 expansion team in Charlotte that wore teal purple and white with black outlines. Now the teal is simply called "creole blue" in a pathetic attempt to marry teal with the city of New Orleans.

----------------------

Every single one of these teams need to change their color schemes. Its terrible. I root against every single one of these teams until it is fixed.

I don't care if they slap a fishbowl behind home plate...or a neon logo....or a swimming pool in center field....or a carnival sideshow that lights up after a home run.

JUST NO TEAL AND BLACK FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

'Fensalk said:
I don't care if they slap a fishbowl behind home plate...or a neon logo....or a swimming pool in center field....or a carnival sideshow that lights up after a home run.JUST NO TEAL AND BLACK FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!
Black remains the primary team color, as it is now. But there is a new color that will likely be used as much onfield and on caps and jerseys.There are also some other secondary colors...4 main colors total....but no teal.

I don't care if they slap a fishbowl behind home plate...or a neon logo....or a swimming pool in center field....or a carnival sideshow that lights up after a home run.JUST NO TEAL AND BLACK FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!
Black remains the primary team color, as it is now. But there is a new color that will likely be used as much onfield and on caps and jerseys.There are also some other secondary colors...4 main colors total....but no teal.
The Lions originally had Honolulu Blue and Silver as their team colors. They added black maybe 5-10 years ago because of that stupid study. I'll be rooting against them until they get rid of black as a team color. They don't have teal but honolulu blue is fairly close to teal. Its like they couldn't resist moving their team colors closer to that study's results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a real uniform leak on TWITTER... from a player. Will be interesting to see the full ensemble they roll out tonight.

New Marlins ballpark has major parking problems – for an exhibition that they only sold 15,000 tickets for.http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-marlins/mh-marlins-stadium-parking-0309-20120308,0,3750289.story
Nice to see they've planned for the low attendance numbers.

Good God, that new logo is bad. Has anybody in the organization announced why they chose to do it?

'Matthias said:
Good God, that new logo is bad. Has anybody in the organization announced why they chose to do it?
The only way this would work in that area is to find a way to connect to the target consumer....which (no offense taken I'm sure) isn't you. Loria knows that and did what he had to do....go out on a limb on many things....including logos, colors, etc. What specifically don't you like?

The bright colors are unique....but have you been in a Champs or Footlocker lately to see footwear trends?

The 'M' is just a colorful version of every other successful cap logo.

The fish has been cleaned up nicely to look more modern and is getting a lot less play now.

The bottom line is product is SMOKING.....they're even a top 3 team right now with retailers who have very little presence in the Miami area.

Users who are viewing this thread