What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Homeland (1 Viewer)

I know a lot of people have complained about the absurdity of Nazir slipping into the U.S. to do whatever, but my take on that is it was done primarily to set up the confrontation between Carrie and Nazir when she was taken hostage. I don't really see any other way that confrontation could have taken place. Whether it was worth it or not is up to the viewer.I'm also coming around to the conspiracy theory that Brody is going to continue Nazir's plans, as suggested in the NY Times piece. That would explain why Brody will be around on the show for another couple of seasons. If that is the case, then Nazir coming to the U.S. to "abduct" Brody was probably easier than finding a way to get Brody to travel out of the country to meet with Nazir.My guess for the finale is that Carrie will save Brody from an assassination attempt and the 2 will flee together.
What's Brody's motivation? He already avenged Isa(sp). Estis would be the only other person to take out and centering "Homeland" around that vengence seems pretty lame.

I know a lot of people have complained about the absurdity of Nazir slipping into the U.S. to do whatever, but my take on that is it was done primarily to set up the confrontation between Carrie and Nazir when she was taken hostage. I don't really see any other way that confrontation could have taken place. Whether it was worth it or not is up to the viewer.

I'm also coming around to the conspiracy theory that Brody is going to continue Nazir's plans, as suggested in the NY Times piece. That would explain why Brody will be around on the show for another couple of seasons. If that is the case, then Nazir coming to the U.S. to "abduct" Brody was probably easier than finding a way to get Brody to travel out of the country to meet with Nazir.

My guess for the finale is that Carrie will save Brody from an assassination attempt and the 2 will flee together.
Carrie just went to Beirut in effort to track him down like four episodes ago and Nazir's people were chasing her. They could just think up something else to get her over there. It's fiction, they can, and obviously will, do anything.

I know a lot of people have complained about the absurdity of Nazir slipping into the U.S. to do whatever, but my take on that is it was done primarily to set up the confrontation between Carrie and Nazir when she was taken hostage. I don't really see any other way that confrontation could have taken place. Whether it was worth it or not is up to the viewer.

I'm also coming around to the conspiracy theory that Brody is going to continue Nazir's plans, as suggested in the NY Times piece. That would explain why Brody will be around on the show for another couple of seasons. If that is the case, then Nazir coming to the U.S. to "abduct" Brody was probably easier than finding a way to get Brody to travel out of the country to meet with Nazir.

My guess for the finale is that Carrie will save Brody from an assassination attempt and the 2 will flee together.
Carrie just went to Beirut in effort to track him down like four episodes ago and Nazir's people were chasing her. They could just think up something else to get her over there. It's fiction, they can, and obviously will, do anything.
True. And the end shouldn't justify the means when it comes to silly writing.

Did the wife basically admit she knew he was a terrorist but didnt wanna know the details?
"I don't really want to hear it", she said softly as she gazed off into the distance of a world she no longer recognized. She closed in a conciliatory tone towards her husband/terrorist by saying simply, "I don't think I can do this anymore. I'm going to get some warm milk and watch some big screen. BOOM!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're all overlooking an important plot detail:

Remember how Carrie went under anesthesia at the end of season 1? She's still sleeping. Season 2 is all a dream she's having while she's under. She's going to wake up in the first episode of season 3. HTH

I know a lot of people have complained about the absurdity of Nazir slipping into the U.S. to do whatever, but my take on that is it was done primarily to set up the confrontation between Carrie and Nazir when she was taken hostage. I don't really see any other way that confrontation could have taken place. Whether it was worth it or not is up to the viewer.I'm also coming around to the conspiracy theory that Brody is going to continue Nazir's plans, as suggested in the New Yorker piece. That would explain why Brody will be around on the show for another couple of seasons. If that is the case, then Nazir coming to the U.S. to "abduct" Brody was probably easier than finding a way to get Brody to travel out of the country to meet with Nazir.My guess for the finale is that Carrie will save Brody from an assassination attempt and the 2 will flee together.
What's Brody's motivation? He already avenged Isa(sp). Estis would be the only other person to take out and centering "Homeland" around that vengence seems pretty lame.
What was Brody's motivation for crippling most of the govt. with the bomb vest at the end of season 1, instead of just taking out the VP alone (and later Estes)? At that time he seemed convinced (brainwashed?) that much of the govt. was to blame for the policies and actions that led to Isa's death, and that it wasn't just 1 or 2 men who were to blame. The target was certainly the VP, but Nazir had convinced Brody that much of the current administration had to be taken out all at once. So despite chickening out with the vest, maybe he still believes that the govt. rather than just the VP is to blame. Or maybe Nazir found some way to threaten Brody to continue his work.

I don't know if I am losing interest because the shows is becoming absurd or I am magnifying the flaws because I am losing interest in the characters. Either way the show is becoming a chore to watch.

BUMP

Predictions for tonight?

I'll say that Carrie gets overly emotional about something.
i'll take a stab at it, I think Saul will end up working with Quin to betray Estes. Brodie will commit suicide at the end of the show and betray Carrie, there is no chance this show can let them have a happy go lucky ending where everything goes perfect for Carrie, she will face a terrible fate tonight.

BUMP

Predictions for tonight?

i'll take a stab at it, I think Saul will end up working with Quin to betray Estes. Brodie will commit suicide at the end of the show and betray Carrie, there is no chance this show can let them have a happy go lucky ending where everything goes perfect for Carrie, she will face a terrible fate tonight.
She runs away with brody after faking his death

BUMP

Predictions for tonight?

She runs away with brody after faking his death
I think this will be more along the lines. This isn't the series finale so I think they set the tone for Carrie/Brody to run away in a game of cat/mouse with Estes/Quinn. You probably also have the power struggle between Estes and Saul.

Really liked it, and a great way of setting up next season.

I particularly like how Brody still might be the guy... and I'm hoping that he is. I didn't rewind, but IIRC they showed Brody parking somewhere other than next to the building. Gotta figure security tape of the parking lot will show who moved the car- unless the writers get lazy on us and say it was all destroyed or that the driver couldn't be seen... which is pretty within the realm of the kind of things the writers did this season. But that interrogation at the Brody household where they ask about goodbyes- and the camera pans on Mike- implies that the "take care of my family" conversation was just such a goodbye.

Dunno. THe show needed a good finale and it delivered, while still keeping Brody's allegiances ambiguous. I will definitely watch Season 3, despite the goofiness this year brought.

Hopefully, this will teach folks not to write this show off after a bad episode or 2.
"A" or "2"? :lmao:Still enjoyed it even during it's goofily bad run. Enjoyed it even more with this season finale.
Yeah, I guess it was more. But they were on fire for the first 5 episodes. It was an extended rough stretch, but the first season and a half should've given a little faith that they'd turn it around.SNL didn't help either. They only meaningful thing that show has done in 15 years is ruin 'Homeland' for a lot of viewers.

Hopefully, this will teach folks not to write this show off after a bad episode or 2.
"A" or "2"? :lmao: Still enjoyed it even during it's goofily bad run. Enjoyed it even more with this season finale.
Yeah, I guess it was more. But they were on fire for the first 5 episodes. It was an extended rough stretch, but the first season and a half should've given a little faith that they'd turn it around.

SNL didn't help either. They only meaningful thing that show has done in 15 years is ruin 'Homeland' for a lot of viewers.
:confused:

Did anyone catch the note about Connecticut that ran before the show? I only caught the first couple words.
It was just a warning about the show being graphic in nature. I thought it was odd. I guess they were referring to the scene with all the body bags. Or just terrorism in general. :shrug:

Interesting episode. Did anyone else think that maybe Saul set up the bomb? Probably just a trick to make me think, but as they're dumping the body in the ocean, the bomb has gone off, Carrie and Brody are discussing his innocence, and they kept showing closeups of Saul. Made me ask Mrs B out loud, and she laughed of course. I haven't figured out a good reason for why he would, just thinking there's more to the beard than we already know.

Eta: nah that's just flat stupid. Rewatching it now I realize how dumb that thought was. :lol: Was paying too much attention to the NE/SF game.

But I was quitting the show until she said she wasn't going with him. That just would've been plain ####### stupid(er).

Interesting episode. Did anyone else think that maybe Saul set up the bomb? Probably just a trick to make me think, but as they're dumping the body in the ocean, the bomb has gone off, Carrie and Brody are discussing his innocence, and they kept showing closeups of Saul. Made me ask Mrs B out loud, and she laughed of course. I haven't figured out a good reason for why he would, just thinking there's more to the beard than we already know.Eta: nah that's just flat stupid. Rewatching it now I realize how dumb that thought was. :lol: Was paying too much attention to the NE/SF game.But I was quitting the show until she said she wasn't going with him. That just would've been plain ####### stupid(er).
I've always assumed Saul was the leak. They always do enough to keep that going but not enough to prove anything. He probably isn't but it always seems like he is hiding something. Quinn was fairly invisible. Not sure if I'm reading too much into that but this was the shock people needed and it provides the show with a pretty fresh start with Estes out of the picture.

I don't think this counts as a S3 spoiler, since it has more to do with "tone", but:

Alex Gansa said in an EW interview that he wants S3 to be less epic and more LeCarre-inspired. Seems like a good way to go, IMO.
I like where this season ended up, and what it sets up going forward, but I think it could've gotten there a little more gracefully and smoothly.

Quinn was fairly invisible. Not sure if I'm reading too much into that but this was the shock people needed and it provides the show with a pretty fresh start with Estes out of the picture.
Quinn would be too obvious since he was absent for much of the episode.Where is Roya or whatever the reporters name is?Interesting that Al Qaeda released the video, which as a viewer, we know is not pertinent to this bombing since the video was made for the other purpose. Did Al Qaeda have anything to do with this one?So, the real question is who but also who had motive? Answer is... Brody.

Quinn was fairly invisible. Not sure if I'm reading too much into that but this was the shock people needed and it provides the show with a pretty fresh start with Estes out of the picture.
Quinn would be too obvious since he was absent for much of the episode.Where is Roya or whatever the reporters name is?Interesting that Al Qaeda released the video, which as a viewer, we know is not pertinent to this bombing since the video was made for the other purpose. Did Al Qaeda have anything to do with this one?So, the real question is who but also who had motive? Answer is... Brody.
Since this is the parking lot of the CIA, we should know via security cameras pretty quickly who moved the car into position pretty quickly, right?

Since this is the parking lot of the CIA, we should know via security cameras pretty quickly who moved the car into position pretty quickly, right?
Not sure, never worked with the CIA.If so, the CIA should have known that Carrie and Brody were walking around the building when the bomb blew up. Cameras are everywhere... in theory.

So the Homeland version of Bin Laden, who they repeated built up as a guy who wanted to make a big public splash when he attacked next, sneaks into the country and silently kills the vice president with a sneaky pace maker move then gets shot up in an abandoned refinery. Talk about anticlimactic.GG Abu Nazir!
It's all part of the master plan...... :unsure:
Yep. We still don't know what Brody and Nazir did all that time together after the helicopter ride. Perhaps this whole thing is leading up to...
Brody strapping on another suicide vest to blow up all the dignitaries at the VP's funeral?"You want to help the vets, Jess? Take out everyone in this room."
:tents fingers like Monty Burns:

:coffee:I want at least partial credit on the call

The symmetry of Brody going off for his first mission with the vest on and then having the conversation with Dana in much the same setting was pretty cool and well done. This time the symbolism of him standing undressed in front if her while last time not letting her near the door. The Muslim burial coinciding with the bombing was also done well and have the writers good cover for not having Saul be there.

It was interesting that this was also the first time I recall them using Osama Bin Laden within the epiode up until now it seemed Abu Nazir was playing the role

I have to think that this was planted on Brody because there were no obvious signs that he has turned again other than what we can believe may have happened in the helicopter

The scene with Quinn in Estes' bedroom was pretty good too. Seems that he has like many times happened to characters in this show has 'turned'

The last thought I had was that Carrie planted a tracking devise of Brody with her using him again to infiltrate the next terrorist cell

'Sarnoff said:
So the Homeland version of Bin Laden, who they repeated built up as a guy who wanted to make a big public splash when he attacked next, sneaks into the country and silently kills the vice president with a sneaky pace maker move then gets shot up in an abandoned refinery. Talk about anticlimactic.GG Abu Nazir!
It's all part of the master plan...... :unsure:
Yep. We still don't know what Brody and Nazir did all that time together after the helicopter ride. Perhaps this whole thing is leading up to...
Brody strapping on another suicide vest to blow up all the dignitaries at the VP's funeral?"You want to help the vets, Jess? Take out everyone in this room."
:tents fingers like Monty Burns:
:coffee:I want at least partial credit on the callThat was partially a great call. :thumbup: And a full great call if Brody put the car there.

For a second I thought the show was going to end with Carrie and Brody on the run in Canada-- that being the end of the their story arc, with new characters introduced next season.

I think that would have been better, but I enjoyed it still.

Users who are viewing this thread