What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Homeland (2 Viewers)

Does this Gordon character really think that this show appeals to a "more active viewer?" He sounds like a snake oil salesman more than a creative mind.
Compared to the Kardashians?IMO, this show is no different than 24 where you just go along for the ride rather than question everything. I watched season 2 after it was done and I liked it better than if I had been watching every week.
I tend to think when you watch a show like 24 in a marathon style the absurdities mount up so quickly it takes away from the viewing.
I found the opposite, at least in this case. Hitting back to back episodes without too much time in between to think about them let me slide past them and just be entertained instead of thinking about them for a week until the next crop came up.

Does this Gordon character really think that this show appeals to a "more active viewer?" He sounds like a snake oil salesman more than a creative mind.
Compared to the Kardashians?IMO, this show is no different than 24 where you just go along for the ride rather than question everything. I watched season 2 after it was done and I liked it better than if I had been watching every week.
I tend to think when you watch a show like 24 in a marathon style the absurdities mount up so quickly it takes away from the viewing.
I found the opposite, at least in this case. Hitting back to back episodes without too much time in between to think about them let me slide past them and just be entertained instead of thinking about them for a week until the next crop came up.
Literally 5 minutes into the next episode I've already forgotten most of the things that bothered me in the previous one.

Literally 5 minutes into the next episode I've already forgotten most of the things that bothered me in the previous one.
:goodposting: Since each episode is loaded with inaccuracies, lacks attention to any kind of detail and is an out of control #### train steaming to an illogical conclusion, I just start all over again. It's really the only reason I watch it, to point out the absolute audacity of the thing. At least they have a huge budget, too bad they haven't some of that on a few decent writers or some sort of quality control person.

I am down to the last two episodes of season two and I am totally amazed at how dumb this has become.

Man the first 16 episodes or so rocked though.

And the daughter is the most annoying ### #### character in TV history. I would watch a 1000 hours straight of AJ Soprano over 5 more minutes of her.

Love the daughter. Love the son. Love Saul. Hate everybody else. I also love this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's entertaining, slightly more sophisticated version of 24. Why it is winning so many Emmys and GG, I do not understand.

It's entertaining, slightly more sophisticated version of 24. Why it is winning so many Emmys and GG, I do not understand.
Because I think parts of the first season were about as good as TV gets. There was no way for it to live up to that though.

I am down to the last two episodes of season two and I am totally amazed at how dumb this has become. Man the first 16 episodes or so rocked though.
I pretty much agree with this. Through the first four episodes of S2, it was knocking on the door of my top tier. Then it went off the rails for a while. And part of the problem is that the kids (at least the daughter) went from good in the first season to awful in the second. A positive, which you might have seen by now, is I think the final episode of S2 not only got back to the previous high quality but also made a few of the earlier story lines look better.

I am down to the last two episodes of season two and I am totally amazed at how dumb this has become. Man the first 16 episodes or so rocked though.
I pretty much agree with this. Through the first four episodes of S2, it was knocking on the door of my top tier. Then it went off the rails for a while. And part of the problem is that the kids (at least the daughter) went from good in the first season to awful in the second. A positive, which you might have seen by now, is I think the final episode of S2 not only got back to the previous high quality but also made a few of the earlier story lines look better.
Nah last one for me. Knocking it out later today. Glad to hear its good.

I saw Virgil at the grocery store last night. Totally freaked me out.
He's amazing in The Shield. Just a parasitic shmuck of a cop.
It took a ton of Homeland episodes to convince me that his character wasn't a d-bag tool because of how big an impression that rat faced weasel Shield character made.eta: pretty cute daughter as well
That scene at the car wash was amazing. Probably one of the 3-4 most memorable scenes in that show for me, for some reason.

I didn't like the second season much but will watch 3 in real time I guess. As Doctor Deeznuts alluded to, I don't think they could've pulled that act off at your local IRS office, nevermind Langley, but whatever.

After the season, I saw an interview of executive producer Howard Gordon where he admitted that the writers made some mistakes in S2 and that he thinks they learned from them. I found that encouraging for the future of the show. It's not like after the Killing S1, when the executive producer refused to admit any mistakes. That's when I decided I was done with that show.

RIP Henry Bromell

Veteran TV writer-producer Henry Bromell, an executive producer on Showtime’s acclaimed series Homeland, has died of a heart attack. He was 66. Bromell went to the hospital yesterday afternoon after not feeling well, and suffered the heart attack there. He had been a member of Homeland‘s all-star writing-producing staff since the beginning of the Fox21-produced CIA drama, first as a consulting producer, and shared in its best series Emmy win last year. In his work on the suspense drama, Bromell drew on some personal experience — his father worked for the CIA. He wrote one of the most memorable episode from Season 2, the interrogation hour Q&A which showcased series stars Claire Danes and Damian Lewis and drew record viewership in October. “Henry was a profoundly decent and generous man. A great writer and a great friend”, Homeland executive producers Alex Gansa and Howard Gordon said today in a statement. “No matter how crazy things got, when he was in the room, you knew everything was going to be OK. Everybody here at Homeland is grieving, and we will miss him beyond words.” Added 20th Century Fox TV/Fox 21 in a statement: “We were lucky to work with Henry on and off for the past 18 years. He was a supremely talented writer and as kind and warm a person as you could ever meet. He will be deeply missed at the studio and on Homeland. Our hearts and prayers go out to his wife and children.”

Bromell is survived by his wife, Sarah; and two sons, including a 4-year-old. Bromell, who had been at UTA for the past two decades, served as an executive producer on Northern Exposure, Homicide: Life On The Street, Chicago Hope and Rubicon and also worked on Brotherhood, I’ll Fly Away (for which he won a Humanitas Prize), and Carnivale.

I still contend that Danes is the weakest part of the show.
What don't you like about her?
I'm not sure if it's the direction or her acting, but I'm with Marvin. Way overwrought. Granted, she's still fine, but all this "she's so great!" and the Emmy? JFC.
I agree with Marvin and Apple Jack. Not only overwrought, but overweight. I guess it could be the cinematography, but Danes seems like 30 pounds too heavy for this role, which is just bad acting. Also, why doesn't she have a fake French accent, or maybe Italian? That would lend some real mystery and flavor to her performance, but no, nothing. Not to mention the fact that she can't seem to stay in character consistently: one minute she's acting like a brunette, the next minute she's acting like a blonde. You can't blame that on the script. It's just a shallow, skittish performance.
:lmao:

I'm up to this part in the series, two episodes in. Great start to season two.

Wow that fell apart fast! Not much more needs to be said that wasn't mentioned in this thread. It's always fun following along with show threads as you watch a show. :thumbup:

We signed up for Showtime to catch up with this and Dexter for the new seasons. I'll still be watching both but can't say I'm as excited as I thought I'd be. I made it through all the seasons of 24 but I'm not sure if I can make it through 5 or 6 seasons of this newest reincarnation of that show. Hopefully things improve in Season 3.

Wow that fell apart fast! Not much more needs to be said that wasn't mentioned in this thread. It's always fun following along with show threads as you watch a show. :thumbup:

We signed up for Showtime to catch up with this and Dexter for the new seasons. I'll still be watching both but can't say I'm as excited as I thought I'd be. I made it through all the seasons of 24 but I'm not sure if I can make it through 5 or 6 seasons of this newest reincarnation of that show. Hopefully things improve in Season 3.
Yeah, I'm done.

I'll watch S3 for entertainment, but if they don't get the focus on to Carrie doing something new fast, this will be cancelled after three seasons and be barely a footnote. The incompetent showrunning in the last few eps of S2 was epic.

Raider Nation said:
mquinnjr said:
flapgreen said:
Never seen it but the premise is right up my alley. Deciding between this and Boardwalk Empire.
Homeland, and it's not close.

It's a great show, chalk off some down time and enjoy it - sucks you right in.
First, don't choose. Watch them both.Secondly, BE is a much, much better show.

MUCH.
Due to the subject matter, I'll start with Homeland. If it doesn't grab my attention quickly, I'll go with BE. Sounds like I'll love them both, though. I don't have time to watch through both shows at the same time.

Eta: Not listening to RN never seems to work out though.

You should definitely watch both. Through the first half of last season, Homeland was having a much better season than Boardwalk Empire. But Boardwalk Empire closed really strong while Homeland fell apart, and it's the finish that people remember. I still think Homeland has a lot of potential going forward.

Flap, I do have confidence that they can get it back on track this season. Remember reading something (maybe here) about the writers knew they meandered a bit. It might have gone off the rails before the middle of S2, don't remember exactly. All I remember is that S1 felt like 24 for grown-ups, but S2 was a bunch of cliches. I do hope S3 will come back around because the potential is clearly there.

This thread is better than the show (which I just watched s2 finale of last night).

Brody - dislike, looks like Andrew Bernard most the time

Jess - like like

Boy kid - hilariously stupid like

Girl kid - awkward misses Zander like

Carrie - no like watching or hearing her

Saul - like the beard

Quinn - like sticking it to Estes

Estes - like his ears

Vergil & bro - straws that stir the drink

Danny - liked the "my stitches ripped" bro part

Roya - liked when she yelled at Carrie made her make a screw face

Abu Nasir - dislike sans beard

Mike - dislike Rolling Rock

I'll watch S3 for entertainment, but if they don't get the focus on to Carrie doing something new fast, this will be cancelled after three seasons and be barely a footnote. The incompetent showrunning in the last few eps of S2 was epic.
The show is in no danger of being cancelled, it is an Emmy darling. The fact that the Emmys love the actor playing Brody seems to hurt the show as I doubt they kill him off since he keeps greeting best actor nods. It makes me appreciate shows like GoT and BE more since they aren't afraid to kill off a major actor, even if it seemingly hurts the status of the show (which in reality, it doesn't).

After 3 episodes, I wouldn't say I'm hooked. I guess it's average so far, but I'm not blown away. I hope it picks up.

Never seen it but the premise is right up my alley. Deciding between this and Boardwalk Empire.
Homeland, and it's not close.

It's a great show, chalk off some down time and enjoy it - sucks you right in.
First, don't choose. Watch them both.Secondly, BE is a much, much better show.

MUCH.
agree with rn. Boardwalk is like an opposite to homeland; started off weak in season one, got better and better each season after that.

7 episodes in and it's just ok. Every episode seems so similar. I'll go ahead and try to make it through the entire season. Not sure after that.

Users who are viewing this thread