CrossEyed

Amazon's Kindle Fire

728 posts in this topic

Instead of rooting, I'm just side-loading any apps I want. It's worked fine so far. (There's an extra step to get Google apps like Gmail to work, but it's not that big a deal.)

What means "side loading"?

I've found no reason to "root".. There are way too many apps available at Amazon now, last thing I need is more.

Other then mail, the only other thing I use at Google is the music.. and for that I just bookmarked my Google music site and play from there. Seems to work just fine for me :shrug:

Let me google that for you...

Short answer: it's Google Market.

Yeah, I googled it as well.

Not sure I really need that but it's always an option I to root I guess. Any other benefits?

That's the big one. It does offer some customization stuff, but the big thing for me was the Market.

Instead of rooting, I'm just side-loading any apps I want. It's worked fine so far. (There's an extra step to get Google apps like Gmail to work, but it's not that big a deal.)

Never mind. I'm with you now. That would work fine if I had to have something.

For any app that's available from the Android market, but isn't available on the Amazon market, you can still install it if you get the .apk file for it and run it on the Fire.I do it by installing the app on my smart phone, using an app called Astro to create backup of the app (which saves the .apk file to a directory on my smart phone). Then I upload the .apk file to Drop Box, and from there I run it on my Fire. Voila, the app is installed on my Fire.(There are other ways to do it using your PC if you don't have a smart phone.)

I've found no reason to "root".. There are way too many apps available at Amazon now, last thing I need is more.

Other then mail, the only other thing I use at Google is the music.. and for that I just bookmarked my Google music site and play from there. Seems to work just fine for me :shrug:

Yeah, you can always use the Google services from within your browser instead of using the apps. Personally, I like the apps. You can get them by side-loading instead of rooting. (It takes a little extra work to get side-loading to work with Google apps, but only a little.)

(There are other ways to do it using your PC if you don't have a smart phone.)

I do but it's an iPhone.I have Dropbox on my PC so I should be able to use that. I assume Dropbox is available in the Amazon Marketplace?

For any app that's available from the Android market, but isn't available on the Amazon market, you can still install it if you get the .apk file for it and run it on the Fire.I do it by installing the app on my smart phone, using an app called Astro to create backup of the app (which saves the .apk file to a directory on my smart phone). Then I upload the .apk file to Drop Box, and from there I run it on my Fire. Voila, the app is installed on my Fire.(There are other ways to do it using your PC if you don't have a smart phone.)
:firedot:

I do but it's an iPhone.
You need the .apk for the android app. So instead of downloading it to your phone, you're going to have to find it somewhere online. (Often you can get it from the developer's site. Otherwise, try a google search for the specific app you want and you might find it on a file-sharing site — although I have no idea what the malware risk is using that method.)

I have Dropbox on my PC so I should be able to use that. I assume Dropbox is available in the Amazon Marketplace?

I don't think it is. I think you have to side-load Dropbox as well. You can sideload from your desktop (or laptop) using the USB cable. You're just transferring a file from your desktop to your Fire.

If anyone needs ebooks, let me know.

:shrug:if you own a kindle who doesn't need ebooks
I meant FREE ebooks. I've hooked up a few people on FBG already.
Ahem. :coffee:

:shrug:

if you own a kindle who doesn't need ebooks

I've posted it before, but look here every day they list new free books. :thumbup:

:shrug:if you own a kindle who doesn't need ebooks
:goodposting:

:goodposting:
Follow this link... repeat.. a little slower and louder this time... F-O-L-L-O-W... T-H-I-S.... L-I-N-K! ; Edited by snogger

I've been looking for a tablet and I honestly don't know where to start. I'm not a huge reader and right now I'm midway through the 3rd Game of Thrones book and I plan to read them all and a book here and there. Almost every review I've read about the Kindle Fire, Kindle and whatever the Barnes and noble one is comes back good but I dont want to get something I'm not going to use to its potential. The Kindle fire sounds great but almost like an Ipad with the apps and everything...would that be an accurate description of it? Given how much I read is there even a sense in considering the fire?

I've been looking for a tablet and I honestly don't know where to start. I'm not a huge reader and right now I'm midway through the 3rd Game of Thrones book and I plan to read them all and a book here and there. Almost every review I've read about the Kindle Fire, Kindle and whatever the Barnes and noble one is comes back good but I dont want to get something I'm not going to use to its potential. The Kindle fire sounds great but almost like an Ipad with the apps and everything...would that be an accurate description of it? Given how much I read is there even a sense in considering the fire?

If you are getting something almost entirely for the apps, I'm not sure the Fire is the right option. I like the Fire because I do a lot of reading (and I'd say that's over 50% of what I'm using the Fire for), but it also allows me to check Twitter or Words with Friends, for example, when I take a reading break. I like the smaller screen of the Fire too because I find it easier on my eyes than the larger screen of the iPad while reading.The Kindle Fire app store is not as large as Apple's. My wife has an iPad, and there's a lot of apps she has that she tells me to download too, but are not available on it. You might also want the larger screen of the iPad or another Android tablet because it is better for watching movies and playing games, than the Fire would be.So, I think it was right for me because I was looking for a reader-plus, but I probably would have gone with the iPad if I was not.

It is all out there. Just GOOGLE the books titles you want. Odds are, if they are popular enough, you will find instructions.

Why you would need help in this, I have no idea. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), it is EXTREMELY easy to find free copies of e-books online.

It is all out there. Just GOOGLE the books titles you want. Odds are, if they are popular enough, you will find instructions.

Why you would need help in this, I have no idea. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), it is EXTREMELY easy to find free copies of e-books online.

I'm sure it is but I prefer to be spoon fed.

If all you're going to do on it is read, there's no reason to consider a Fire. The original e-ink Kindle would be cheaper and better. The Kindle is an Android tablet: it's small, cheap, and somewhat limited for a tablet, but it'll to lots of things besides display books. It will show movies. It will browse the internet. It will do email. It will run all kinds of android apps. If you're not going to use any of that stuff, the e-ink readers are better for reading books.ETA: Oops, I missed the "not" in "I'm not a huge reader." I'm not a good reader.

Does anybody know how it determines home tabs when opening the web browser? I maybe recently visited an adult site and now it opens in a tab when I pull up the browser :unsure: I close the tab but it opens right back to that site when I pull up the browser again.

Does anybody know how it determines home tabs when opening the web browser? I maybe recently visited an adult site and now it opens in a tab when I pull up the browser :unsure: I close the tab but it opens right back to that site when I pull up the browser again.

First... Stay off those sites! ;)Everyday when I start up the browser I always go right to settings; history; clear all so that I start new. :thumbup:

So a fellow footballguy was kind enough to send me some books. How do I go about actually getting these books on the kindle? Whenever I try to just download them I can't find them in the download section? Do I need a program or a USB cable for this?

So a fellow footballguy was kind enough to send me some books. How do I go about actually getting these books on the kindle? Whenever I try to just download them I can't find them in the download section? Do I need a program or a USB cable for this?

Calibre

I wish a kind hearted FBG would send me some books

If you put them in a folder named "My eBooks" in your My Documents directory, it should find and load them automatically when connected with a usb cable

Calibre

I wish a kind hearted FBG would send me some books

Calibre is a good program.

PM your address to me

Edited by cosjobs

I do but it's an iPhone.

I have Dropbox on my PC so I should be able to use that. I assume Dropbox is available in the Amazon Marketplace?

sadly, no its not in the marketplace but you can get it directly from dropbox.

You'll first need to make sure you allow installation of applications.

From the Home screen, tap the Quick Settings icon and select More. Tap Device. Turn the switch for "Allow Installation of Applications" to the on position.

Once you have that set, go here from the fire to get the apk.. Dropbox for Android

Edited by BringItOn

I do but it's an iPhone.

sadly, no its not in the marketplace but you can get it directly from dropbox.

You'll first need to make sure you allow installation of applications.

From the Home screen, tap the Quick Settings icon and select More. Tap Device. Turn the switch for "Allow Installation of Applications" to the on position.

Once you have that set, go here from the fire to get the apk.. Dropbox for Android

It wont let me download. From there

I'm getting frustrated. Googling isn't helping me, but here's my question.

How do I get a .mobi e-book from my computer to my Fire via wifi? Email doesnt work and I dont have a micro-usb to transfer that way. :wall:

I'm getting frustrated. Googling isn't helping me, but here's my question.How do I get a .mobi e-book from my computer to my Fire via wifi? Email doesnt work and I dont have a micro-usb to transfer that way. :wall:

Dropbox would work, although it's a little effort to set up on the Kindle.Google Docs should also work (from within your Kindle's browser). I haven't tried it with a .mobi, but in theory that should be the easiest method.

I'm getting frustrated. Googling isn't helping me, but here's my question.

How do I get a .mobi e-book from my computer to my Fire via wifi? Email doesnt work and I dont have a micro-usb to transfer that way. :wall:

Dropbox would work, although it's a little effort to set up on the Kindle.

Google Docs should also work (from within your Kindle's browser). I haven't tried it with a .mobi, but in theory that should be the easiest method.

My link Edited by cosjobs

I'm getting frustrated. Googling isn't helping me, but here's my question.How do I get a .mobi e-book from my computer to my Fire via wifi? Email doesnt work and I dont have a micro-usb to transfer that way. :wall:

Dropbox would work, although it's a little effort to set up on the Kindle.Google Docs should also work (from within your Kindle's browser). I haven't tried it with a .mobi, but in theory that should be the easiest method.
Dropbox or Box will work.

Dropbox or Box will work.
Couldn't you also use the Amazon 'Cloud' Drive? Free 5 GB storage space.

The wife's Ipod touch has just about died. For basic e-mail and occasional web surfing on the couch, would you guys recommend the Fire or another Ipod Touch? They are essentially the same price. Which has better form function for typing?

The wife's Ipod touch has just about died. For basic e-mail and occasional web surfing on the couch, would you guys recommend the Fire or another Ipod Touch? They are essentially the same price. Which has better form function for typing?

Daughter has both.. She has been using the Kindle fire to write a short story so that might give you a hint ;)

Daughter has both.. She has been using the Kindle fire to write a short story so that might give you a hint ;)
Good info. thx. Are there any B&M stores that I can demo a Kindle Fire?

Walmart

Walmart
Walmart, Fred Meyer, Best Buy, maybe Target - not sure on that one