Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Da Guru

Hits that would be illegal in todays NFL

28 posts in this topic

Every tackle Jack Tatum ever made.

they called him "The Assassin"

I was looking for an old Detroit Lion vid and stumbled on this one. Wilbur Marshall of the Bears decks Lion QB Joe Ferguson. No flag, no fine. Just a big hit.

The comments say that Marshall was fined $2,000 for this hit. True?

I was looking for an old Detroit Lion vid and stumbled on this one. Wilbur Marshall of the Bears decks Lion QB Joe Ferguson. No flag, no fine. Just a big hit.

The comments say that Marshall was fined $2,000 for this hit. True?

Not sure.

Check this one out..a double blow to the head. No penalty. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gARi1MIyPRc

Jim Burt on Joe Montana: Ouch

That's legal today -- Burt didn't go helmet-to-helmet, didn't spear, didn't body-slam, and didn't drive his bodyweight into Montana and the turf. Burt didn't even land on Montana. The only thing illegal in 2011 about the Marshall hit on Ferguson was going helmet to facemask. A lot of people think it's simply "hard hits" that are getting penalties/fines today, but that's not true. What it is instead is that there are some difficult-to-discern judgement-call rules that are being applied: defenseless player, helmet-to-helmet/facemask, body slamming, driving opponent into the turf, etc.

EDIT: blows to the head (even mildish incidental ones on QBs) are also now enforced strictly. The Tatum hit in post #7 would be a penalty today since Tatum put his shoulder on Sammy White's helmet.

Night Train Lane would not only be kicked out of the league, but probably imprisoned.

Who blew up Frank Gifford when he was already down and on his knees?

Chuck Bednarik destroyed him once but it was a clean hit.

Kathy Lee?

Kathy Lee?
I think she was the one down on her knees

Kathy Lee?
I think she was the one down on her knees
:RIMSHOT:

That's legal today -- Burt didn't go helmet-to-helmet, didn't spear, didn't body-slam, and didn't drive his bodyweight into Montana and the turf. Burt didn't even land on Montana.
You don't think there was a blow to the head on that play?

That's legal today -- Burt didn't go helmet-to-helmet, didn't spear, didn't body-slam, and didn't drive his bodyweight into Montana and the turf. Burt didn't even land on Montana. The only thing illegal in 2011 about the Marshall hit on Ferguson was going helmet to facemask. A lot of people think it's simply "hard hits" that are getting penalties/fines today, but that's not true. What it is instead is that there are some difficult-to-discern judgement-call rules that are being applied: defenseless player, helmet-to-helmet/facemask, body slamming, driving opponent into the turf, etc.

EDIT: blows to the head (even mildish incidental ones on QBs) are also now enforced strictly. The Tatum hit in post #7 would be a penalty today since Tatum put his shoulder on Sammy White's helmet.

The NFL actually changed the incidental head blow rule this offseason. Incidental contact is no longer a penalty. Helmet to helmet still is no matter what, but if a guy's hand grazes the QB's helmet unintentionally, it's no longer a penalty.

I think you're right. At game speed, it looked more like a shoulder to me, and Burt's head was up. But when viewed frame by frame, it looks more like Burt's helmet did get Montana in the facemask.

I'm gonna fire up some old Chuck Cecil footage

I think you're right. At game speed, it looked more like a shoulder to me, and Burt's head was up. But when viewed frame by frame, it looks more like Burt's helmet did get Montana in the facemask.
I don't see it. It looks like Burt's arm is folded up in Montana's arm pit. It doesn't seem to be possible for it have been a helmet to helmet or a direct blow to the head with Burt's arms or shoulder (at least with that video).

Need more angles of that Burt-Montana shot. It was kinda in traffic ... might not get flagged in 2011 just from the refs not having clear look at it.

Chuck Bednarik destroyed him once but it was a clean hit.
Yeah, that's not what I'm thinking about. Maybe it wasn't Gifford. But, there's a play where a player had been tackled already (I think) and he's sitting on two knees when someone comes up and just destroys him.

All of them. Thats why Montana, Marino, and just about any QB pre-2k are more amazing.

Just imagine Mpntana and Marino under these rules. That stats they would put up would be right on par or even above the kind of numbers the QBs of today put up if they never had to worry about getting absolutely destroyed long after they threw the ball.

Remember the 2 step rule?

Need more angles of that Burt-Montana shot. It was kinda in traffic ... might not get flagged in 2011 just from the refs not having clear look at it.

All the accounts I've read about it from the time say that Burt's helmet hit Montana on the chin. I seem to remember footage showing a more straight on view of it but you can't find it online. :confused:

Night Train Lane would not only be kicked out of the league, but probably imprisoned.

:goodposting::lmao: The guy would either clothesline you Nikita Koloff-style or he would take you down by your facemask. The facemask penalty came into existence because Dick was rearranging too many guys' heads.

All of them. Thats why Montana, Marino, and just about any QB pre-2k are more amazing.Just imagine Mpntana and Marino under these rules. That stats they would put up would be right on par or even above the kind of numbers the QBs of today put up if they never had to worry about getting absolutely destroyed long after they threw the ball. Remember the 2 step rule?

QB's before Marino and Montana had it even worse. Not only could the qb's be killed, the corner backs actually stood a chance against the WR's before all the rule changes nudered the position. I feel like I am watching Arena Football these days than the NFL.