What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Brandon LaFell - I just... LaFell in love. (1 Viewer)

Id sell while I still could. The Saint are making everyone look good right now and I still don't think he's a difference making type of Wr. 2 cents thrown
Considering he was drafted as a WR5, you don't think he can put up at least WR3 numbers? Who would you try to get for him that you trust more going forward? The guy's shown steady improvement. I don't agree that now is the time to bail.
He's slow, skinny and Louis Murphy is a better version of him. Why are we acting like this is his first time seeing the field? He has played a lot and never did anything aside from a 91 yard td in a meaningless game last year in week 16. Longterm I don't like him either, Kealoha Pilares is the name to watch.
He's listed as 6'2" 220. He's 25 just starting his 3rd year and starting for the first time. Likely drafted very late as depth who's likely to outperform his draft spot. Potential to put up WR2 numbers with WR3 floor (imo). Strength of schedule (if you believe in it) looks favorable. He's getting his share of targets (13 to Smith's 15) and catching a higher percentage (69%). For me he's a hold unless you need to trade for other positions.

Kealoha Pilares is the name to watch.
Did ZERO receiving in yr 1.Has 1 catch for 6yds in year 2.LaFell has played only ONE year longer, and his YPC average is higher than Pilares NFL career numbers.
He hasn't played much. Was one of the few to have a KO return last year. Check his combine and college numbers, they are intriguing.
I'm not saying he isn't intriguing. But you're telling us a guy who has proven something, and doing moreso than ever this season is a bust, while a guy who in 14 career games has 1 catch for 6yds is "the one to watch"

Maybe I was and am wrong, but I still like Murphy to put up similiar numbers. No way is LaFell a WR30.
You are letting your "teal blue" (or whatever that color is) glasses skew your knowledge of the team. As someone who moved down to NC (but is a Jets fan) in 1999, I have walked away with three things (1) Fox was not as bad as advertised, and we will see those ramifications in the coming years, (2) Hurney was negligent about replacing Delhomme when he got injured and it cost the franchise a couple of years' progression and (3) they have been trying to replace Smith (under the guise of complementing him) for the past 4 seasons. When looking at the latter, Smith saw a rebirth with Newton, but they are on their last legs trying to fins someone who can play the position along (or in place of) with Smith. LaFell not only can work, he HAS to work. He is the best of the WR2s brought in since Mush left the first time, and they need him to succeed. He will get every opportunity to do so. A second WR is like a shooting guard in the NBA...he may not be your best option, but if you feed him enough, you can make him a borderline all-star. Same thing with LaFell. Do you think Donnie Avery is all of the sudden "getting it"? Of course not. He is (1) healthy and (2) they are baiting teams to leave him alone...how is that any different than the situation in Carolina?

'ShaHBucks said:
'Amused to Death said:
'ShaHBucks said:
Id sell while I still could. The Saint are making everyone look good right now and I still don't think he's a difference making type of Wr. 2 cents thrown
Considering he was drafted as a WR5, you don't think he can put up at least WR3 numbers? Who would you try to get for him that you trust more going forward? The guy's shown steady improvement. I don't agree that now is the time to bail.
He's slow, skinny and Louis Murphy is a better version of him. Why are we acting like this is his first time seeing the field? He has played a lot and never did anything aside from a 91 yard td in a meaningless game last year in week 16. Longterm I don't like him either, Kealoha Pilares is the name to watch.
Kealoha, is that you man? Coach told you to stop makin posts about yourself all over the internet, just stop man

What did LaFell do wrong tonight? Steve Smith was under 10 points tonight, he was a hole in most line ups. Could we say New York was just deadly on defense especially on the DLine?

Boy, Cam had him in the end zone there at the end, and just like on the first pick when he was targeting LaFell, simply put the ball in the wrong spot. He leads LaFell by a yard twice tonight, and he's looking at 3/60 with a TD.

I'm never starting a promising Thursday matchup player over a comparable Sunday guy again. NFL players just aren't made for that many games in that short a time.

Is he worth anything? I doubt I'm starting him again... Cam doesn't seem to remember him when the game is on the line.

Edit: I stand corrected..

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I was and am wrong, but I still like Murphy to put up similiar numbers. No way is LaFell a WR30.
You are letting your "teal blue" (or whatever that color is) glasses skew your knowledge of the team. As someone who moved down to NC (but is a Jets fan) in 1999, I have walked away with three things (1) Fox was not as bad as advertised, and we will see those ramifications in the coming years, (2) Hurney was negligent about replacing Delhomme when he got injured and it cost the franchise a couple of years' progression and (3) they have been trying to replace Smith (under the guise of complementing him) for the past 4 seasons. When looking at the latter, Smith saw a rebirth with Newton, but they are on their last legs trying to fins someone who can play the position along (or in place of) with Smith. LaFell not only can work, he HAS to work. He is the best of the WR2s brought in since Mush left the first time, and they need him to succeed. He will get every opportunity to do so. A second WR is like a shooting guard in the NBA...he may not be your best option, but if you feed him enough, you can make him a borderline all-star. Same thing with LaFell. Do you think Donnie Avery is all of the sudden "getting it"? Of course not. He is (1) healthy and (2) they are baiting teams to leave him alone...how is that any different than the situation in Carolina?
LaFell just doesn't pass the eyeball test as a WR24-WR30 floor Wr with upside. I think you hit the nail on the head regarding force feeding him the ball. That is what has proped up his numbers along with Cam scrambling forever and LaFell finding a hole to sit in. He'll get enough looks to appear promising, but won't make that jump ala Cruz/Robinson from last year. He reminds me of Kevin Walter.

LaFell just doesn't pass the eyeball test as a WR24-WR30 floor Wr with upside. I think you hit the nail on the head regarding force feeding him the ball. That is what has proped up his numbers along with Cam scrambling forever and LaFell finding a hole to sit in. He'll get enough looks to appear promising, but won't make that jump ala Cruz/Robinson from last year. He reminds me of Kevin Walter.
I would say his ceiling is higher than Kevin Walter's... but that's a pretty good comparison, I like it in fact.I still think he can be a productive #2 WR in this league though, as I thought Walter could have in Houston if he got enough targets.

:goodposting: Lafell doesn't create anything on his own. He runs decent routes, blocks very well, and has good hands. At the same time he's not going to beat many db's and only does well against a zone where he's at the right place at the right time.A career 700-900/4-7 td type guy who can be replaced easily when a better talent comes along.I've got him ranked around the 50-60 range in dynasty, he's a little better in redraft due to having his spot locked up this season.

I'll ask again, what did LaFell do wrong? LaFell was great last week and got a lot of buzz but now he can't gain separation? That's a big pile of horse dung, sorry...you can't be averaging over 15 ypc and Lafell's has been higher by not gaining separation.

The Panthers OLine is the suck, period! They have failed against the Bucs, failed against the Giants, they can do OK against mediocre defenses and that's about it. Until Cam can set up and have time in the pocket...look at the time Eli got tonight. Does anyone think that might be the right place to start?

I started LaFell in that FFPC tonight and OK I'm not excited about his performance but I also am not going to smear the guy when I know the OLine being able to protect the QB is the real problem right now.

I'll ask again, what did LaFell do wrong? LaFell was great last week and got a lot of buzz but now he can't gain separation? That's a big pile of horse dung, sorry...you can't be averaging over 15 ypc and Lafell's has been higher by not gaining separation. The Panthers OLine is the suck, period! They have failed against the Bucs, failed against the Giants, they can do OK against mediocre defenses and that's about it. Until Cam can set up and have time in the pocket...look at the time Eli got tonight. Does anyone think that might be the right place to start?I started LaFell in that FFPC tonight and OK I'm not excited about his performance but I also am not going to smear the guy when I know the OLine being able to protect the QB is the real problem right now.
because every week there are threads on here where people overreact. oh, this guy had a good game - he's the next stud. this guy had a bad game - he's done.i tend to not make rash decisions. i miss out on a lot of players, but i tend to trust my preseason analysis (except this year when i didn't do much) and not overreact.

As its been said upthread, Lafell passes the eyeball test but he doesnt play like a wr. His catches seem to come when Cam extends the play and he gets wide open. I never seem to see him going up for catches or making the tough catch with the defender hanging on him.

This board is getting out of control with overreactions, panicking, and rediculous bashing of players. LaFell had two very good games to start the season. The Panthers GOT THEIR BUTTS KICKED. Cam had a bad game. The offense play calling was atrocious. How is this LaFell's fault? Now all of the sudden he's a turd? It's like some of you have never watched football in your life. Do you expect 100 yards and a TD every week? :rolleyes:

LaFell came into the game last night as the current WR14 so far this year. He'll drop a bit after last night's game, but not out of the top 30. These things average out for receivers at the WR3 level. He'll always have Steve Smith ahead of him in the pecking order, unlike Cruz who achieved parity with Nicks last year. I see no reason why Cam won't keep scrambling and why LaFell won't keep exploiting his single-coverage to find holes to sit in. And for most games, if he keeps doing that, the targets will be there.

This board is getting out of control with overreactions, panicking, and rediculous bashing of players. LaFell had two very good games to start the season. The Panthers GOT THEIR BUTTS KICKED. Cam had a bad game. The offense play calling was atrocious. How is this LaFell's fault? Now all of the sudden he's a turd? It's like some of you have never watched football in your life. Do you expect 100 yards and a TD every week? :rolleyes:
I think you are just looking at the box score rather than actual snaps.

LaFell came into the game last night as the current WR14 so far this year. He'll drop a bit after last night's game, but not out of the top 30. These things average out for receivers at the WR3 level. He'll always have Steve Smith ahead of him in the pecking order, unlike Cruz who achieved parity with Nicks last year. I see no reason why Cam won't keep scrambling and why LaFell won't keep exploiting his single-coverage to find holes to sit in. And for most games, if he keeps doing that, the targets will be there.
For me I dont get the warm and fuzzys about a wide receiver that makes this his calling card. If a play breaking down and him finding a whole is the only way he can get catches then I think I will pass.

For me I dont get the warm and fuzzys about a wide receiver that makes this his calling card. If a play breaking down and him finding a whole is the only way he can get catches then I think I will pass.
So you don't like Mike Wallace either than? Thats his game. Ben extends plays, allows time for Wallace to get open....

So you don't like Mike Wallace either than? Thats his game. Ben extends plays, allows time for Wallace to get open....
Wallace's calling card is speed. Different games.

LaFell was targeted by Newton on both interceptions, included one that would have been a TD. It's not his fault that they were horrible throws from Newton.

He had a dud week and those of us who started him ahead of Bowe feel a bit stupid, but this doesn't make him a bust for the entire year.

For everyone placing all the blame on Newton and the O-line, I have news for you...those things aren't going to change anytime soon.

LaFell is planted firmly on my bench for the rest of the season, other than a bye week or two and maybe as an injury replacement.

He's just not very good.

LaFell did fine. Opportunity was there but t didn't work out. On one play he ran a nice route on the left side, was open for a 20-25 yard gain, and was the primary on the route, but JPP was bull rushing in from that side so Cam threw it to the right. On another play LaFell had a step and a half over his man on a crossing route, but Cam didn't reset his feet and sidearmed it, causing the ball to be behind LaFell. It was tipped and intercepted. On a play inside the redzone, LaFell was open in the middle and was the primary, but pressure came up the middle and Cam couldn't get it off.

The Giants' d-line cost LaFell his points, that's all.

LaFell did fine. Opportunity was there but t didn't work out. On one play he ran a nice route on the left side, was open for a 20-25 yard gain, and was the primary on the route, but JPP was bull rushing in from that side so Cam threw it to the right. On another play LaFell had a step and a half over his man on a crossing route, but Cam didn't reset his feet and sidearmed it, causing the ball to be behind LaFell. It was tipped and intercepted. On a play inside the redzone, LaFell was open in the middle and was the primary, but pressure came up the middle and Cam couldn't get it off. The Giants' d-line cost LaFell his points, that's all.
:goodposting:Newton's end zone interception was also targeted at LaFell.

I think the biggest drawback to LaFell right now (and I won him) has less to do with LaFell and more to do with the fact that the Panthers don't throw the ball that much.

In Cam's last 9 games, he's averaged 26.1 pass attempts (as opposed to 36.5 for his first 10). Fact is, 9 games now represents the second half of his pro career. I'm not sure why Carolina has moved away from the passing game as much as they have, but it's clear that deemphasizing the passing game has been prioritized by Carolina.

If a team averages 26.1 attempts the ceiling for more than one big fantasy producer at receiver is going to be signifcantly reduced.

LaFell did fine. Opportunity was there but t didn't work out. On one play he ran a nice route on the left side, was open for a 20-25 yard gain, and was the primary on the route, but JPP was bull rushing in from that side so Cam threw it to the right. On another play LaFell had a step and a half over his man on a crossing route, but Cam didn't reset his feet and sidearmed it, causing the ball to be behind LaFell. It was tipped and intercepted. On a play inside the redzone, LaFell was open in the middle and was the primary, but pressure came up the middle and Cam couldn't get it off. The Giants' d-line cost LaFell his points, that's all.
:goodposting:Newton's end zone interception was also targeted at LaFell.
:goodposting: It wasn't like LaFell wasn't getting targets or had the drops. Newton was very unimpressive imo. For people giving up on LaFell, are you also giving up on Newton or Smith for the year? LaFell was targeted more than Smith (5 to 4).

Someone dropped LaFell earlier this week in my 10 team ppr league and I've already got the claim in.

It was just a bad performance altogether by CAR... LaFell will rebound.

I dont know about passing the eyeball test or not, but Olsen getting 14 targets certainly isnt good for him. If he continues to be a top 2 target for CAR, Lafell will definitely be limited.

'UKColt said:
those of us who started him ahead of Bowe
Wow... what?
It's not that crazy. LaFell was the 11th (I think) top scoring WR going into this week. Both have/had great match ups against bad secondaries, and I went with LaFell because I trusted Newton more than Cassel.Turns out it was a mistake, but it's not like I started him over Megatron. If you look around plenty of people started him ahead of other WRs in that range.

Thursday night was nothing on LaFell it was all on Cam and play calling as I called option run to my buddy on all but two when they ran that play. He didn't throw to LaFell at least four times that I was able to see that he was open and two was for TD's and the first he was standing on the goal line all by himself and Cam threw it out of bounds.

The receiver to own after Smith would be Olsen IMO.

Someone dropped LaFell earlier this week in my 10 team ppr league and I've already got the claim in.It was just a bad performance altogether by CAR... LaFell will rebound.
Agreed. The two INTs were horribly thrown (the first, Newton threw the ball a yard and a half behind him and the second one was a strike to the DB). He's looking for him, the Giants D played out out of their minds last night, and Newton had a bad night. The last two will change and the first one's encouraging.

Thursday night was nothing on LaFell it was all on Cam and play calling as I called option run to my buddy on all but two when they ran that play. He didn't throw to LaFell at least four times that I was able to see that he was open and two was for TD's and the first he was standing on the goal line all by himself and Cam threw it out of bounds. The receiver to own after Smith would be Olsen IMO.
Next week we'll probably see this flipped. As much as I'm not down with LaFell being a top 24 or top 30 WR, he'll either match or surpass Olsen.At some point in time Cam will realize Stewart/DWill are very good receiving options.

Yeah, the last two weeks were brutal. He will be the next player off my roster. With injuries to Garcon and Britt, he was my flex the past two weeks...needless to say, not very good.

Users who are viewing this thread