Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the moops

My dog is old and pants and walks around constantly

13 posts in this topic

She's a 13 year old chow/shephard/something mix. She cant go up or down stairs (I have to carry her) and she pukes up 1/3 of her meals. But until yesterday she was still her lazy, lay in one place, maybe change positions a few times during the day, content dog.

Now, she tries to go up the stairs. She falls. She tries to go under barriers we put up, she falls. She will lay down for 10 seconds, then walk around the house for 20 minutes, going into closets, behind couches, pretty much everywhere she never went before. And she does all this while panting as loud and as obnoxiously as can be.

She is as cute as can be. Proof. But damn this is annoying

It may be time.

Our dog is close to this. We hope we can make the call at the right time.

T&P.

hate to say it, but your dog may be looking for dark, quiet place to die. I had a 13 year old shepard/collie mix that did this for a couple days, found her way under the porch, laid down and died in her sleep.

On the other hand, my dog over the course of 2 years did this.. slowly lost her bark, always panting, really fowl smelling mouth. However, it took her 2 years to past but the last 3 days was when she started falling. However, she never tried to climb stairs or anything (mainly because we didn't have them)

You will know when it's time and it will suck, don't let her suffer or be in pain. The best way to grieve is to think of the good times. :banned:

Agree with most saying she is looking for a place to call it quits. Take her to the vet, assume it might be time, and do the right thing.

I'm sorry moops. But she is looking for a place to rest her bones. :sadbanana:

Take her to the vet to check for a distended abdomen. Sounds like she's in some discomfort and can't get comfortable laying down.

Whatever is going on inside of her is much worse for her than is annoying for you.

You will know when it's time and it will suck, don't let her suffer or be in pain. The best way to grieve is to think of the good times. :banned:

There is something incongruous about this, given your username.

Make sure the wife and kids are at a safe distance away (back deck viewing area or such)

Load your .38

Straddle the dog (facing forward) holding her firmly by the collar

Press the barrel firmly against the back of her head (between the ears)

Look away

Gently squeeze trigger

KIDDING!!! KIDDING!!!!!

T&P MOOPS. Sounds like you want to do what’s best for the old girl. Maybe have a sit-down for the wife.

Similar situation with my older dog. He started panting constantly. He's a lazy dog and does nothing but sleep all day. All of a sudden, he couldn't get comfortable and would contantly get up in his bed and get into a new position. We also moved during this span to a house with more stairs. He was ok going up and down for a few weeks, but then stopped being able to do them. He would still try, but fall.

Thought it was his time, so we brought him to the vet. I knew he had arthritis, but the vet also diagnosed him with a torn ACL. Given his age, I wasn't going to do surgery, but the vet prescibed an anti-inflamatory he said could work wonders. It actually did for a while. He was bouncing around again and was doing the stairs.

Of course two days before the bottle went empty, he stopped being able to do the stairs, so now I have an empty, rather expensive medicine I have to refill, but apparently it's lost it effectiveness. Back to the vet and we'll see how it goes the next few weeks.