What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone been to Cancun or Riviera Maya, Mexico lately? (1 Viewer)

Paging desert rose.

:sadbanana:

I've heard some big tourist places are fine if you stay at the hotel and in the immediate area. But I'd take my vacation elsewhere.

Are the resort areas still considered safe? Did Pablo, Juan, and the gang take it over yet? :unsure:
My buddy does travel agent work on the side. He kept pimping Riviera Maya. I told him no thanks don't want to go to Mexico. His response was you live 20 minutes from Camden.... He says it's fine but I stll am not going.

Cancun last November, there were many stories about the killings in Acapulco at the time but that's nowhere near Cancun. Everything was fine. No trouble. No violence. Just alot of offers for cocaine.

Are the resort areas still considered safe?
Yes. Very.Don't believe the hype. I've been going down there (Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, Isla Mujeres, Cancun) for 15 years. Sometimes multiple trips in a year. It's the same as it's ever been and very friendly and safe. I've taken my whole family there 2 times & feel very comfortable doing so. We went in June and are planning another trip for next summer w/our two boys.
Did Pablo, Juan, and the gang take it over yet? :unsure:
No.

I am sure Mexico is fine for the most part and a lot of it is hysteria, but it is one of the reasons I decided against Los Cabos and am going to Punta Cana in January instead. :shrug:

I am sure Mexico is fine for the most part and a lot of it is hysteria, but it is one of the reasons I decided against Los Cabos and am going to Punta Cana in January instead. :shrug:
What is?
The possibility of the violence spreading in Mexico. Didn't want to get close to January and find that it had spread to Cabo and I would have to cancel my trip and figure out somewhere else to go. I am sure it would probably be fine, but I don't want to have to scramble to change plans at the last minute...just wasn't worth the risk of the hassle.

Los Cabos is one of the safest states in Mexico :confused:
See above post.I would say you are correct at the present, but I am risk adverse when it comes to vacation plans. I have had to do the scramble around at the last minute because of work issues and it sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
'the hairy scotsman said:
'belljr said:
'eoMMan said:
Are the resort areas still considered safe? Did Pablo, Juan, and the gang take it over yet? :unsure:
My buddy does travel agent work on the side. He kept pimping Riviera Maya. I told him no thanks don't want to go to Mexico. His response was you live 20 minutes from Camden.... He says it's fine but I stll am not going.
That area of Mexico is safer than most major U.S. cities.
Most of Mexico is safer than most US Cities. I'm all over Mexico, usually in the Central part of the country. Don't go around flashing money and you're usually safe. Don't drive the back roads at night. Don't be stupid and you'll be okay.

I'm headed there this winter (I think).

How is the bi-curious party-girl situation these days? The Terrorist didnt scare all those off, right?

What about renting a car? I've heard stories about corrupt mexican cops pulling rentals over and essentially robbing them.

What about renting a car? I've heard stories about corrupt mexican cops pulling rentals over and essentially robbing them.
That kind of stuff happens, but it's generally in the more remote/rural parts of the Mexico, and is more prevalent the closer you get to the Border. Probably not something to generally worry about around Riviera Maya.

That kind of stuff happens, but it's generally in the more remote/rural parts of the Mexico, and is more prevalent the closer you get to the Border. Probably not something to generally worry about around Riviera Maya.
it happens quite a bit aroudn Tulum.

the key is to just gun it and drive as fast as you can until you get back to your hotel. don't ever pull over for the police down there.

the key is to just gun it and drive as fast as you can until you get back to your hotel. don't ever pull over for the police down there.
So, you show up to the hotel with three cop cars in tow. Does the valet just shoo them away?

Was in Akumal during Easter. Never had any problems but got beaten up pretty good one night. Strangely I think it was a Russian gang member as he went by name of 'Stoli'

WTF would you rent a car in Cancun???

Stay at an all-in, hit the beach/pool, eat and drink to your heart's content, fly back home. If you want to go see the ruins, hop on a charter.... :shrug:

So, you show up to the hotel with three cop cars in tow. Does the valet just shoo them away?
There's one main single lane road and everyone drives about 20 mph. You're not getting anywhere.

WTF would you rent a car in Cancun??? Stay at an all-in, hit the beach/pool, eat and drink to your heart's content, fly back home. If you want to go see the ruins, hop on a charter.... :shrug:
We did a charter for Chichen itza once and it was horrible. They promised air conditioned busses which turned out to not be the case. The fans didn't even work. Terrible experience.

We plan to do tulum and xcaret this time.

Cancun last summer with the fam. It was awesome. Highly recommend. A bit hot though, and I live in Phoenix.

El Floppo said:
Buttonhook said:
Scoresman said:

We were in Tulum Feb 2014 (rented a car in Cancun and drove down) and saw no problems. We were actually told that the new regime has cleaned this up because it was deterring tourists and that its no longer an issue as long as you stick to the speed limits.

El Floppo said:
Buttonhook said:
Scoresman said:

We were in Tulum Feb 2014 (rented a car in Cancun and drove down) and saw no problems. We were actually told that the new regime has cleaned this up because it was deterring tourists and that its no longer an issue as long as you stick to the speed limits.
not sure why, but I made that up.

we've never had a problem visiting Maya Riviera.

Just got back from my annual Cancun vacation and I have to say the exchange rate is out of control good. Was 22:1 at one point. A couple could go out for a fancy dinner and get steak, apps, multiple cocktails and only spend like $100. Nice bottle of tequila at the store were like $25. A beer at the bar was like a dollar. Great time to go. Also, it's paradise. 

Just got back from my annual Cancun vacation and I have to say the exchange rate is out of control good. Was 22:1 at one point. A couple could go out for a fancy dinner and get steak, apps, multiple cocktails and only spend like $100. Nice bottle of tequila at the store were like $25. A beer at the bar was like a dollar. Great time to go. Also, it's paradise. 
A bottle of Tequila here is like $25?  22-1?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to trump exchange rate is insane. Looking for ways to capitalize on this. Resorts are still holding prices up on the dollar. 

heading to cozumel for spring break. with the MIL. she's paying, so all aboard. the place she, my wife and rest of the family grew up going to got wiped out not long ago in a hurricane, so we'll stay somewhere else. probably indoors. 

PIK95 said:
A bottle of Tequila here is like $25?  22-1?
I said a nice bottle of tequila like 1921 Anejo. That was basically our low level bottle we made Palomas from because it was so cheap. 

El Floppo said:
heading to cozumel for spring break. with the MIL. she's paying, so all aboard. the place she, my wife and rest of the family grew up going to got wiped out not long ago in a hurricane, so we'll stay somewhere else. probably indoors. 
Probably indoors?

Try this one: 

Vows, to god-damned hell with vows! We have no vows. In fact, we don't need vows. I don't have to make you any stinking vows.

What are the FBG favorite all inclusives in Mexico? I have kids, but keep in mind I don't mind drinking and swearing in front of them.

Users who are viewing this thread