What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone been to Cancun or Riviera Maya, Mexico lately? (1 Viewer)

If you want nice food, I would recommend Tora (Japanese) right off the bat. The food is exceptional and the seating on the lagoon is gorgeous. The next restaurant I would recommend is Porfirios. It’s got great food but also a pretty lively atmosphere- reminds more of a Vegas style restaurant. There’s a DJ playing music and the mariachi band rolls though several times at night. I don’t like Neil Young but when the mariachi band plays it, everyone in the whole restaurant sings along. It’s pretty cool. All the restaurants on the lagoon side also have beautiful sunset views. Plus I can tell you about a great cigar bar with awesome sunset views and out of this world mojitos. The bartender is famous for them and was brought in from TJ to make them.
Do you have an idea how much I should budget per day for decent restaurants and drink? My significant other and I do not over eat, drink mostly wine (but not too much.). 

Do you have an idea how much I should budget per day for decent restaurants and drink? My significant other and I do not over eat, drink mostly wine (but not too much.). 
Tough to say since I overeat and over drink everyday day there, don’t pay much attention to cost and usually am out with 4-10 splitting bills. I would say you could do a steakhouse similar to a Ruth’s Chris/Fleming’s for 150-200 for 2.  There’s a lot of good local Mexican places that would be half that. You could eat octopus and shrimp like a king all day for 50-100 if you do the smaller causal places. 

Tough to say since I overeat and over drink everyday day there, don’t pay much attention to cost and usually am out with 4-10 splitting bills. I would say you could do a steakhouse similar to a Ruth’s Chris/Fleming’s for 150-200 for 2.  There’s a lot of good local Mexican places that would be half that. You could eat octopus and shrimp like a king all day for 50-100 if you do the smaller causal places. 
Thanks!

Also a trick for seeing what your resort might be like is to look it up on IG under places. Lots of people post pictures and tag the resort as the location.

If not for this bump, I'd completely forgot we're going to Cozumel in two weeks!
just got back last night. always so nice.

stayed about a week on cozumel at the new Westin on playa azul. the wife grew up going to the place that used to be on the same site- las cabanas?- that got destroyed by a hurricane a while back. we've gone a bunch to the playa azul hotel next door which has a tiny pool, tiny beach, solid restaurant and great swimming/snorkeling out front in some of the clearest water I've seen anywhere I've been. also pretty quiet compared to points south of san miguel and the hordes of cruiseship day-trippers.

the westin is tall with much nicer pool on the beach and on the roof (great views of the entire island and across to PDC), with nice rooms that I don't think will age well (lots of wood that's already warping and de-laminating). service was meh... which is a quibble, but I always feel like I want to maximize my time and not sitting around waiting for stuff. spent an afternoon at one of the beach clubs with bouncey-crap in the water for the kids... with all the cruise-ship people, #### food, #### drinks and #### service. bleh. 

on the last morning when I was returning the car, I had the idea of checking out a spot on the map that wasn't well marked, but showed our road heading out there on the NE side of the island. road was a mess, and I didn't have enough time to drive it- but found out that Isla de la Passion was on the other end... will try to check it out next time.

spent a day in PDC at the new Hilton "the fives" right downtown on 10th. nice spot, loud though. another great roof-top pool with nice bar. spent the day at Xcaret... not my scene- too fakey-  but the kids enjoyed it.

already looking forward to going back and taking the kids to see more- maybe Tulum or Chichen itza and a cenote. the wife is still too risk averse and having seen all of it isn't inclined to "waste" a good beach day doing that kind of stuff.

I think I've posted it here before, or maybe it was in another thread, but I'd recommend Grand Palladium Riviera Maya.

It has four sections - Kantenah, Colonial, White Sands, and TRS. TRS is adults only, but the other three are open to you no matter which you happen to stay in. The place is massive (maybe 300 acres with 1.5 miles of beach; maybe a dozen different restaurants, several pools both large & small, and countless bars - here's a map) so, if you're looking for more active type of things, they have plenty of that. But, if you're looking for chill areas, plenty of that too. Tons of stuff for kids and/or adults.

It's about an hour ride south of Cancun's airport.

I've been here a dozen times (& am not affiliated with the resort; just like it). I think it's a great place for what you're looking for.

PM me or ask here if you have any questions.
My extended family is having a reunion of sorts at the end of April and we'll be staying at the brand new all-inclusive TRS Coral, which is a new property in the Palladium Hotel Group.  It's actually just a little north of Cancun and it just opened in November I think.  My parents are big fans of Palladium, so I'm anxious to check this new one out.

My extended family is having a reunion of sorts at the end of April and we'll be staying at the brand new all-inclusive TRS Coral, which is a new property in the Palladium Hotel Group.  It's actually just a little north of Cancun and it just opened in November I think.  My parents are big fans of Palladium, so I'm anxious to check this new one out.
I haven't been to that one. It looks nice and I've had friends that have already visited who all really liked it.

I'm going back to TRS Yucatan in May.

once again, the water quality- clarity and sea-weed- were crappy on the coast (PDC to Xcaret) relative to the stunning, all-world, clear water on the West coast in Cozumel.

once again, the water quality- clarity and sea-weed- were crappy on the coast (PDC to Xcaret) relative to the stunning, all-world, clear water on the West coast in Cozumel.
Glad you had a great vacation, Flop. I agree that the west coast of Cozumel is a killer location.

I prefer the Yucatan coast, random seaweed appearances or not. 

Glad you had a great vacation, Flop. I agree that the west coast of Cozumel is a killer location.

I prefer the Yucatan coast, random seaweed appearances or not. 
I know we've had this conversation in here- I submit that I'm not there enough (2x for a week every 3 years or so) to consider my 100% record of seaweed as an absolute indicator. but it seems like a whole industry has been built around sea-weed removal on the riviera maya... which tells me its less random than "random".

wife also mentioned a recent article she read that said it's still an unknown about why its gotten worse (no link- sorry)... also from her perspective as a once a year(ish) visitor since she was born, it appears to have gotten worse. that, combined with the lesser water visibility along the coast relative to cozumel's west coast makes me far prefer the island. I'm also not an AI/big resort guy, so that definitely plays into my preference as well (we've done a nice airbnb type of apartment in Akumal, that was great- other than the water). not trying to argue this- just pointing out my preferences, and wondering about the "random" sea-weed thing... a lot of people clearly spend time there without being bothered by it. 

the "random" sea-weed thing... a lot of people clearly spend time there without being bothered by it. 
There's still lot's to do without it bothering you.... swimming pool, lounging on the beach, getting loaded, eating buffet, nightlife, shows, gambling, etc... I love to fish, snorkel and swim when I go on vacation and for me its a deal-breaker. I stopped going 3-4 years ago because of it. Sucks because I really liked the cheap prices and the easy flight.  :thumbdown:

There's still lot's to do without it bothering you.... swimming pool, lounging on the beach, getting loaded, eating buffet, nightlife, shows, gambling, etc... I love to fish, snorkel and swim when I go on vacation and for me its a deal-breaker. I stopped going 3-4 years ago because of it. Sucks because I really liked the cheap prices and the easy flight.  :thumbdown:
if I'm going to the beach- I'll hop in the pool on occasion, but I'm there for the ocean. I love swimming/snorkeling, so just lounging on the beach is good- but always with a swim for me. plus- the amount of sea-weed I've been seeing brings a smell with it- so becomes more about getting away from the beach than lounging on or near it.

in terms of the AIs... I'm sure there are some that have good food (hasn't been in my limited experience with them), and I'm not eating or drinking enough to have that pay off. plus, I prefer eating where/what I want to and like discovering spots. nightlife, shows, gambling... :shrug:  ... not my bag- I live in NYC, so most of this stuff, food included, isn't something I need when I'm on vacation. 

you should try cozumel- easy to get to from cancun, similar prices, more chill, and the water is amazing.

you should try cozumel- easy to get to from cancun, similar prices, more chill, and the water is amazing.
Never stayed in Cancun. We always went further South to Tulum. How are the prices in Cozumel?

We're going to try the Bahamas Out Islands on our next vacation. A little harder to get to, but very reasonably priced, and the scenery/water looks amazing. Some of these just recently started catering to tourists. The locals are apparently very religious so crime is non-existent, and there's very little nightlife, but that's fine with me.

Never stayed in Cancun. We always went further South to Tulum. How are the prices in Cozumel?

We're going to try the Bahamas Out Islands on our next vacation. A little harder to get to, but very reasonably priced, and the scenery/water looks amazing. Some of these just recently started catering to tourists. The locals are apparently very religious so crime is non-existent, and there's very little nightlife, but that's fine with me.
prices in cozumel are fine- comparable to PDC, imo. 

I've only stayed in Cancun for one night- did the job, but that's also not my scene.

don't know the Out Islands, but would love to spend more time in the Bahamas- looks great there, and of course closer. how do you get to the Outs? btw- they sound like our favorite spot, Anguilla, in terms of the religious aspect and low crime (although that's been on the uptick over the last 10 or so years).

I know we've had this conversation in here- I submit that I'm not there enough (2x for a week every 3 years or so) to consider my 100% record of seaweed as an absolute indicator. but it seems like a whole industry has been built around sea-weed removal on the riviera maya... which tells me its less random than "random".

wife also mentioned a recent article she read that said it's still an unknown about why its gotten worse (no link- sorry)... also from her perspective as a once a year(ish) visitor since she was born, it appears to have gotten worse. that, combined with the lesser water visibility along the coast relative to cozumel's west coast makes me far prefer the island. I'm also not an AI/big resort guy, so that definitely plays into my preference as well (we've done a nice airbnb type of apartment in Akumal, that was great- other than the water). not trying to argue this- just pointing out my preferences, and wondering about the "random" sea-weed thing... a lot of people clearly spend time there without being bothered by it. 
Global warming is making it worse.  And removing it as it washes up on the beach is about the only option they have.  

The stretch between PDC and Tulum is better because the water depth and currents help flush it out to sea.

When we were down there about two years ago the locals claimed the seaweed had got noticeably worse since the oil spills in the Gulf.  They didn't clarify if it was from the actual spilled oil, or by the effects of the remediation efforts.  Who knows if that's just local folklore or if there is some substance to it.

prices in cozumel are fine- comparable to PDC, imo. 

I've only stayed in Cancun for one night- did the job, but that's also not my scene.

don't know the Out Islands, but would love to spend more time in the Bahamas- looks great there, and of course closer. how do you get to the Outs? btw- they sound like our favorite spot, Anguilla, in terms of the religious aspect and low crime (although that's been on the uptick over the last 10 or so years).
Puddle jumper from Ft Lauderdale or Nassau. No direct flights. They also have a ferry from Nassau (but it leaves early AM, so you'd have to overnight). We got RT flights from Newark for like $550ea.

I dont get too worked up over the reports of crime you see at most vacation destinations, but I don't let my kids have free roam when we're in Costa Rica either. The island we're going to (Spanish Wells) only has golf carts and bikes for transportation and everyone says kids are free to wonder the island by themselves with no worries. We got a house for 2 families for like $400/nt and it includes a golf cart, bikes, kayaks, SUPs and a Hobiecat (that's pretty great value considering we probably would've rented most of them anyway).

El Floppo said:
if I'm going to the beach- I'll hop in the pool on occasion, but I'm there for the ocean. I love swimming/snorkeling, so just lounging on the beach is good- but always with a swim for me. plus- the amount of sea-weed I've been seeing brings a smell with it- so becomes more about getting away from the beach than lounging on or near it.

in terms of the AIs... I'm sure there are some that have good food (hasn't been in my limited experience with them), and I'm not eating or drinking enough to have that pay off. plus, I prefer eating where/what I want to and like discovering spots. nightlife, shows, gambling... :shrug:  ... not my bag- I live in NYC, so most of this stuff, food included, isn't something I need when I'm on vacation. 

We've been to the area at least 1x per yr for the past 20 yrs. Used to be stunning at the beach - sad how seaweed continues to worsen. I have a pool at home so when I go away I hang at the ocean (wife likes pool). Last August was the worst - not 1 day of clear water. At Grand Palladium (bit north of Tulum) my son & I would snorkel right off beach. Couldn't in August & first time the seaweed impacted the trip. Poor workers do what they can but its a losing battle & it stinks like hell where they attempt to bury it.

I have been looking at Cancun for a quick 5 day trip this spring.  I am leaning towards all-inclusive, just for ease of planning.  I am looking at Paradisus all-inclusive package.  If I don't go all-inclusive, how much should I budget for 2 in meals and drink?
Paradisus is very nice......
I just got back yesterday after a week in Cancun at the Paradisus.  I would highly recommend this resort.  For the two of us we paid $2,200 including airfare from Newark.  I was very pleased with the meals and the room.  The hotel was beautiful and everyday was gorgeous.  There was seaweed on the beaches, but it is not the green slimy stuff I am use to here on the east coast US beaches.

I just got back yesterday after a week in Cancun at the Paradisus.  I would highly recommend this resort.  For the two of us we paid $2,200 including airfare from Newark.  I was very pleased with the meals and the room.  The hotel was beautiful and everyday was gorgeous.  There was seaweed on the beaches, but it is not the green slimy stuff I am use to here on the east coast US beaches.
that's a great price. how many nights? 

I'd have to check what we payed out of pocket... airfare was miles, including one hotel night. 

that's a great price. how many nights? 

I'd have to check what we payed out of pocket... airfare was miles, including one hotel night. 
6 nights.  It really seemed like an unbelievable deal.

toshiba said:
6 nights.  It really seemed like an unbelievable deal.
totally. 

IIRC, we spent about a grand on our hotel (~200/night including a free night) plus another ~500 eating there, and another couple hundred eating elsewhere. call it 2 grand. and that's not including airfare, which was going to be 4-500/person. granted, family of 4, and we could have absolutely eaten cheaper. we had anguilla dialed in in that regard, but its the airfare thats a killer for us.

totally. 

IIRC, we spent about a grand on our hotel (~200/night including a free night) plus another ~500 eating there, and another couple hundred eating elsewhere. call it 2 grand. and that's not including airfare, which was going to be 4-500/person. granted, family of 4, and we could have absolutely eaten cheaper. we had anguilla dialed in in that regard, but its the airfare thats a killer for us.
We ate out one night at a place called Thai.  We had our own private bungalow/hut over the water with a table for 2 that also included a sofa.  I think the 2 of us had 3 drinks, 2 apps, a meal and dessert for about $100.  It was the most romantic unique dinner experience I ever had.

Last edited by a moderator:
We ate out one night at a place called Thai.  We had our own private bungalow/hut over the water with a table for 2 that also included a sofa.  I think the 2 of us had 3 drinks, 2 apps, a meal and desert for about $100.  It was the most romantic unique dinner experience I ever had.
that sounds amazing. hopefully the food was as good as the ambience- almost wouldn't matter.

We ate out one night at a place called Thai.  We had our own private bungalow/hut over the water with a table for 2 that also included a sofa.  I think the 2 of us had 3 drinks, 2 apps, a meal and desert for about $100.  It was the most romantic unique dinner experience I ever had.
that sounds amazing. hopefully the food was as good as the ambience- almost wouldn't matter.
Yeah it was good food, but you're right, It didn't really matter.

I hope they gave you more drinks to go with the desert.

bump.  Headed to Playa Del Carmen.   Looking for suggestions on local places to eat.  Staying at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba but dont want to stay on resort the whole time.  Also looking for a good tequila distillery or place with a good tequila selection.  Also looking for bars with decent craft beer or any bottle shops(otherwise i may just bring some down).  Any recs on great local tequilla or mescal to bring back would be great.  Also any other suggestions would be most appreciated(i.e. cenotes near my hotel).

Just returned from Riviera Maya. Stayed at the Hilton resort at Playa Del Carmen.  Beautiful all-inclusive resort (adults only) and had a great time over the Memorial day weekend. 

If you're planning or thinking about going down this summer be aware of the seaweed problem that is effecting the whole region.  Seaweed problem photos

The beach was the only issue we had and, honestly, it didn't bother me that much as I didn't miss spending time on the beach.  The more they removed from the beach the more it came rolling in from the gulf. 

The huge pool area with swim-up bars, friendly wait staff and never ending parade of thongs was plenty to make for fun days.  Weather was great and food was outstanding.  The resort had nice entertainment at night as well.  Recommend.

Just returned from Riviera Maya. Stayed at the Hilton resort at Playa Del Carmen.  Beautiful all-inclusive resort (adults only) and had a great time over the Memorial day weekend. 

If you're planning or thinking about going down this summer be aware of the seaweed problem that is effecting the whole region.  Seaweed problem photos

The beach was the only issue we had and, honestly, it didn't bother me that much as I didn't miss spending time on the beach.  The more they removed from the beach the more it came rolling in from the gulf. 

The huge pool area with swim-up bars, friendly wait staff and never ending parade of thongs was plenty to make for fun days.  Weather was great and food was outstanding.  The resort had nice entertainment at night as well.  Recommend.
Yea i was down in Playa Del Carmen earlier this month and the seaweed was definitely a problem.  Stayed at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba and they had folks constantly trying to clear it.  But wasnt a huge deal.  Pools were fine so didnt bother me but big beach people probably wont like it.  Also food in downtown is sooo cheap.  Fogon for tacos is a must.  We went to Alux which is a restaurant in a cenote which was pretty cool as well. 

Yea i was down in Playa Del Carmen earlier this month and the seaweed was definitely a problem.  Stayed at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba and they had folks constantly trying to clear it.  But wasnt a huge deal.  Pools were fine so didnt bother me but big beach people probably wont like it.  Also food in downtown is sooo cheap.  Fogon for tacos is a must.  We went to Alux which is a restaurant in a cenote which was pretty cool as well. 
Yeah the pool was awesome.  We ate at one Thai-inspired restaurant down town but there were six different types of restaurants on the resort and we were only there for 5 nights.  I mean food was everywhere.  24/7 room service including alcohol.  They had one lounge that was open 24/7 with a small buffet throughout the day and an open bar where you just go in and make your own drinks.  Beer tap and about 12-15 bottles of various liquors.  Help yourself.  Could be dangerous for some up there.  Three or four of the restaurants were fine dining. Couple of buffets that changed from breakfast through lunch and different for dinner.  Definitely won't go hungry down there.  

The seaweed was terrible in Jan as well.   We always stay at the Moon Palace.    The great thing about that place is that they have a sister hotel in the hotel district so you can take their bus to that hotel for the day and enjoy the nice beach with typical Caribbean water for the day.    I always find that to be the best of both worlds.    

Users who are viewing this thread