What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Yankees/Tigers ALDS Thread (1 Viewer)

Who wins?

• Yankees

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • Tigers

Votes: 37 68.5%

• Total voters

Doctor Detroit

Please remove your headgear
Epic pitching match-up in game one, then a lot of bad pitching to follow. These two teams can rake though.

Last edited by a moderator:
will be a great series. The Tigers have been a better team the last month and no matchup scares me. The tigers will win 2 of the first three, lose the fourth, and it will be decided in five with Detroits bullpen out pitching the Yankees and Al Al getting the win.

Epic pitching match-up in game one, then a lot of bad pitching to follow. These two teams can rake though.
No, Fister will pitch a gem in game 2. Will be the best pitching performance in the series.
I know we are all in love with Fister, but Fatbathia and Verlander are a different tier of pitcher. I understand this is a prediction, and I hope it is true I think...but if we get two games of Verlnader/Sabathia one of those guys is gonna have the best game. It won't be Porcello, this we can be sure of.

The Tigers secret weapon is the underwear Leyland wore for the 12 game win streak. If those just happened to be put in the air filtration system in the visitors locker room in Detroit...well...you do the math. :coffee:

Yanks will be lucky to win one game against this powerhouse squad. :kicksrock:
Go Yanks. DDetroit get ready for a beat down.
Give me five reasons the Yankees will win this series.
1. Their grit2. Their determination3. Veteran presence4. Better intangibles5. More clutch
Plus, they really know how to step up when their backs are against the wall. I just hope they take it one game at a time.

1. Their grit2. Their determination3. Veteran presence4. Better intangibles5. More clutch
Plus, they really know how to step up when their backs are against the wall. I just hope they take it one game at a time.
You forgot about Mo'!!!

Granderson hits 4 homeruns in game three clincher. Three of them off Scherzer to put to rest the trade debate.

I wonder if the Yankees feel bad they blew a 7 run lead in the 8th which help eliminate the Red Sox? Normally you would be pretty down after choking a game like that, but sticking it to a rival like that has to make it kind of sweet.

Hate this ####### matchup. Hate the 5 game series. Not feeling confident but Id say this series is pretty much a coin flip. Yanks had best record in the AL for a reason. Ill say Tigers in 5.

Tigers take a close game 1. Yankees outslug them for the next 3, with Sabathia starting on short rest in Game 4.

I wonder if the Yankees feel bad they blew a 7 run lead in the 8th which help eliminate the Red Sox? Normally you would be pretty down after choking a game like that, but sticking it to a rival like that has to make it kind of sweet.
I'm sure they felt terrible for trying their hardest with the Scranton squad and the indomitable Scott Proctor failing to nail down the win. I wonder how the Sox feel about that? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

The American League games should all be fascinating. You can make a very very good case for all 4 teams. In this series, Game 1 is going to be the key (not really going out on a limb on that one). Both teams need the first game badly. My gut tells me that Verlander brings it and manages to shut down the Yankees because he's just been way too good this year to not do that in the first game of the playoffs that he basically dragged his team into.

Down 0-1, the Yankees will be in a tough spot. It will be interesting to see how Girardi manages the game and specifically the pitching staff. I think the Yankees should be able to take it, but if the Tigers blow them out in game 1 instead of it just being a close pitcher's duel then I can see them cascading into pitching issues in game two.

I'm gonna bet Yankees in 4.

I think Game One is pretty key. I don't feel great about Verlander's propensity to give up homers in that bandbox against a lefty loaded lineup.

Game Two will go Fister's way. He's the perfect kind of pitcher for that Yankees squad. If they try their patient approach, he'll eat them up. And the power doesn't come to play against the kid.

Of course, I could be completely wrong. Tigers clinch in 4 (just because I have tickets).

Game Two will go Fister's way. He's the perfect kind of pitcher for that Yankees squad. If they try their patient approach, he'll eat them up. And the power doesn't come to play against the kid.
Fister's been an underrated pitcher for a couple of years now, and has been lights out since joining the Tigers. But let's get some context here. His last 6 starts (5 wins) as a Tiger have been against the following: KC, Cle, Min, Oak, KC, OakThat's a FAR cry from a Game 2 start at Yankee StadiumAs for him being "the perfect kind of pitcher for that Yankees squad," it's worth noting he sports a career 6.00 ERA against themI think the series goes 5, and am rooting, obviously, for a Yankees win, but wouldn't shock me at all if the Tigers take the series

I'm sure they felt terrible for trying their hardest with the Scranton squad and the indomitable Scott Proctor failing to nail down the win. I wonder how the Sox feel about that? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Just a guess, but they probably felt the same way the Rays felt on Sunday when the indomitable Scott Proctor was losing a game to the Red Sox? :shrug:

Fister's been an underrated pitcher for a couple of years now, and has been lights out since joining the Tigers. But let's get some context here. His last 6 starts (5 wins) as a Tiger have been against the following: KC, Cle, Min, Oak, KC, OakThat's a FAR cry from a Game 2 start at Yankee StadiumAs for him being "the perfect kind of pitcher for that Yankees squad," it's worth noting he sports a career 6.00 ERA against themI think the series goes 5, and am rooting, obviously, for a Yankees win, but wouldn't shock me at all if the Tigers take the series
He started one game against them this year. The others came in 2009, where he was a mid-season callup. I'm going to go ahead and ignore those for the purposes of this post-season.Your sample size also conveniently ignores that he has pitched against both Texas and TB as a Tiger, giving up two runs in 14 innings. See, I can cherry-pick stats as well.He's an incredible control pitcher who gives up few homeruns. That profile is what I was referencing as being ideal against the Yankees in NY.

No way tigers lose. Yanks have to face the big V express two times in best of 5, Tigers will be on their way to round II :excited:

I'm going NY but don't feel overwhelmingly confident about it.

Game 1, CC vs JV. Yanks have had some success against Verlander and I've been worried about CC lately. I'm sure JV will want to cement his elite status on this stage but I dont know if he gets a little extra amped against NY or what. I do feel like on the back end of a long season, he might be gotten to. In the end, I think the Yank pen outduels the Tiger pen, and the yanks win a surprisingly high scoring 8-6 Game.

Game 2, Fister has worked wonders against the Yanks, and the Yanks throw a rookie. VMart crushes the Yanks and Miggy is Miggy. But for some reason, I'm thinking the Yanks might be a bit due against Fister. I'm picking the Yanks with no real reason why here

Game 3, Garcia vs. Scherzer. Love this matchup for Detroit and I think they jump all over Garcia and Scherzer might just cruise right here.

Game 4. Leyland is adamant that Verlander is going Game 5, Girardi is adamant that CC is going Game 4. I know all the arguments to go Porcello here, but I think the temptation to live another day with Verlander will be too much and he'll go. This is the coinflip game to me. I'm thinking CC is going 6 innings and giving up 5 runs game 1. Do you want to run him back out there in a bad matchup(Miggy and VMart murder him), or do you roll the dice if Verlander goes and dare to start Burnett and basically punt this game(if he's rested). I'm thinking we get the unlikely Burnett Verlander game here and we know how that one will go in our sleep.

Which takes us to...

Game 5. CC vs. Fister. Sorry Porcello. CC should be a bit better, maybe 7 innings 4 runs and I have no idea how Fister would be in this spot. I'll go for the home field advantage here, a 386 home run off of Valverde to turn a loss into a win.

I'm going NY but don't feel overwhelmingly confident about it.Game 1, CC vs JV. Yanks have had some success against Verlander and I've been worried about CC lately. I'm sure JV will want to cement his elite status on this stage but I dont know if he gets a little extra amped against NY or what. I do feel like on the back end of a long season, he might be gotten to. In the end, I think the Yank pen outduels the Tiger pen, and the yanks win a surprisingly high scoring 8-6 Game.Game 2, Fister has worked wonders against the Yanks, and the Yanks throw a rookie. VMart crushes the Yanks and Miggy is Miggy. But for some reason, I'm thinking the Yanks might be a bit due against Fister. I'm picking the Yanks with no real reason why hereGame 3, Garcia vs. Scherzer. Love this matchup for Detroit and I think they jump all over Garcia and Scherzer might just cruise right here. Game 4. Leyland is adamant that Verlander is going Game 5, Girardi is adamant that CC is going Game 4. I know all the arguments to go Porcello here, but I think the temptation to live another day with Verlander will be too much and he'll go. This is the coinflip game to me. I'm thinking CC is going 6 innings and giving up 5 runs game 1. Do you want to run him back out there in a bad matchup(Miggy and VMart murder him), or do you roll the dice if Verlander goes and dare to start Burnett and basically punt this game(if he's rested). I'm thinking we get the unlikely Burnett Verlander game here and we know how that one will go in our sleep. Which takes us to...Game 5. CC vs. Fister. Sorry Porcello. CC should be a bit better, maybe 7 innings 4 runs and I have no idea how Fister would be in this spot. I'll go for the home field advantage here, a 386 home run off of Valverde to turn a loss into a win.
You're wrong about Game 2.There is no Game 5.Tigers advance.

I'm going NY but don't feel overwhelmingly confident about it.Game 1, CC vs JV. Yanks have had some success against Verlander and I've been worried about CC lately. I'm sure JV will want to cement his elite status on this stage but I dont know if he gets a little extra amped against NY or what. I do feel like on the back end of a long season, he might be gotten to. In the end, I think the Yank pen outduels the Tiger pen, and the yanks win a surprisingly high scoring 8-6 Game.Game 2, Fister has worked wonders against the Yanks, and the Yanks throw a rookie. VMart crushes the Yanks and Miggy is Miggy. But for some reason, I'm thinking the Yanks might be a bit due against Fister. I'm picking the Yanks with no real reason why hereGame 3, Garcia vs. Scherzer. Love this matchup for Detroit and I think they jump all over Garcia and Scherzer might just cruise right here. Game 4. Leyland is adamant that Verlander is going Game 5, Girardi is adamant that CC is going Game 4. I know all the arguments to go Porcello here, but I think the temptation to live another day with Verlander will be too much and he'll go. This is the coinflip game to me. I'm thinking CC is going 6 innings and giving up 5 runs game 1. Do you want to run him back out there in a bad matchup(Miggy and VMart murder him), or do you roll the dice if Verlander goes and dare to start Burnett and basically punt this game(if he's rested). I'm thinking we get the unlikely Burnett Verlander game here and we know how that one will go in our sleep. Which takes us to...Game 5. CC vs. Fister. Sorry Porcello. CC should be a bit better, maybe 7 innings 4 runs and I have no idea how Fister would be in this spot. I'll go for the home field advantage here, a 386 home run off of Valverde to turn a loss into a win.
You're wrong about Game 2.There is no Game 5.Tigers advance.
Assuming I Am, then I think its likely CC vs porcello in game 4 and that greatly favors Ny. Now, verlander - nova is a rough matchup I'll grant you. But the yanks have had limited success against jv and nova has icewater in his veins. Game 5 in Yankee stadium is a whole other animal I'll grant you

What I love about this year's AL playoffs is that it would not surprise me one bit to see any of the four teams go to the World Series. I think you could make a case for any of them.

As much as I am pushing for the Tigers, I think it's a total crapshoot.

This could be fun.

I'm at peace with whatever may come. Unless there's a game five. Then I'll be gnashing, gnawing, pacing with nausea and difficult breathing.

'Smack Tripper said:
Game 1, CC vs JV. Yanks have had some success against Verlander and I've been worried about CC lately. I'm sure JV will want to cement his elite status on this stage but I dont know if he gets a little extra amped against NY or what. I do feel like on the back end of a long season, he might be gotten to. In the end, I think the Yank pen outduels the Tiger pen, and the yanks win a surprisingly high scoring 8-6 Game.
Sportscenter was doing a piece on Verlander vs the Yankees too. I like how they talk about how the Yankees have done vs Verlander but I don't hear anything about how Cabrera has dominated CC. 16 AB's, .563 BA, 2 HR's, and 11 RBI's. Meanwhile none of the power hitters for the Yankees have had a whole lot of success against Verlander. Granderson, Cano, and Teixeira all have a BA under .200 against Justin, and A-roid's is .222.It's been a different Verlander most of the year. He's kept his emotions in check. CC has a lot of experience in big games but the Tigers know him well, and he's not the dominant pitcher he once was. If both Verlander and CC are pitching their best tonight, I like the Tigers chances a lot.

'Smack Tripper said:
Assuming I Am, then I think its likely CC vs porcello in game 4 and that greatly favors Ny. Now, verlander - nova is a rough matchup I'll grant you. But the yanks have had limited success against jv and nova has icewater in his veins. Game 5 in Yankee stadium is a whole other animal I'll grant you
:lmao: No bias here.

What I love about this year's AL playoffs is that it would not surprise me one bit to see any of the four teams go to the World Series. I think you could make a case for any of them.As much as I am pushing for the Tigers, I think it's a total crapshoot. This could be fun.
:goodposting: I'm rooting for my Tigers ...hoping they can do it in 4 so I don't have to stress a game 5.

I wish Rays and Rangers weren't playing each other first round since those are the two teams I am pulling for out of the AL. Would have preferred Rays and Rangers in ALCS.

I'll be pulling for the Yanks but honestly as long as either Rays or Rangers beats Yanks/Tigers I'll be happy.

:goodposting: Don't ever underestimate the Yanks.
And don't ever underestimate Mariano Rivera. Also people have said in this thread (tiger fans) they hope it doesn't go to Game 5, I can't see the Yanks feeling the same way since they've been in many pressure games in the past.

'Smack Tripper said:
Sportscenter was doing a piece on Verlander vs the Yankees too. I like how they talk about how the Yankees have done vs Verlander but I don't hear anything about how Cabrera has dominated CC. 16 AB's, .563 BA, 2 HR's, and 11 RBI's. Meanwhile none of the power hitters for the Yankees have had a whole lot of success against Verlander. Granderson, Cano, and Teixeira all have a BA under .200 against Justin, and A-roid's is .222.It's been a different Verlander most of the year. He's kept his emotions in check. CC has a lot of experience in big games but the Tigers know him well, and he's not the dominant pitcher he once was. If both Verlander and CC are pitching their best tonight, I like the Tigers chances a lot.
Regular season totally different than playoffs.

The Herd railing the Tigers this morning saying the Yankees will rake this series. I sincerly hope not. I'll be at game 3 and 4 if it gets there. Let's go Tigers!

'Smack Tripper said:
Regular season totally different than playoffs.
That's great news, because Verlander struggled a bit in his 2 regular season outings against NY.

The Herd railing the Tigers this morning saying the Yankees will rake this series. I sincerly hope not. I'll be at game 3 and 4 if it gets there. Let's go Tigers!
You aren't speaking of Colin Cowherd are you? Is there a bigger front runner in talk radio than him? If the Tigers win this series, then Cowherd will become a Detroit fan. He has no allegiance to any team but roots for the best teams at the time, and actually admits it to. I have zero respect for the dude.

Users who are viewing this thread