What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dorial Green-Beckham (2 Viewers)

Jayrod

Footballguy
My link

In one of the most decorated high school football careers of all time, Hillcrest High School's Dorial Green-Beckham has achieved nearly every personal honor possible.

But there is one more statistical plateau now in site for the mega-recruit wide receiver: The nation's career record for receiving yards.

Green-Beckham sits 369 yards short of Abram Booty's career record of 5,867 set in 1996 for Shreveport Evangel Academy in Louisiana, according to the National Federation of High Schools record book.

If last week was any indication, the Rivals.com top recruit in the nation could near the record this week.

Green-Beckham racked up 354 yards last week in a 40-19 win against Rolla, setting a single-game state record.

Hillcrest (6-1) will play host to West Plains (0-7) at 7 p.m. today with a chance to wrap up an outright Ozark Conference championship, the team's first since 2001 and seventh in school history.

It's also the opening of Class 4 district play for Hillcrest. Riding a five-game winning streak, the Hornets made their debut in the state poll this week, checking in at No. 9.

Marshfield plays at Republic in the other Class 4 District 10 matchup.
This kid plays in my area and is generally considered one of the (if not the) top recruits in the nation (he hasn't declared where he is going yet). I work as a football official, and while I haven't ever worked one of his games, I have talked to a lot of guys who have and they say he is the real deal. Apparently his run after the catch abilities are ridiculous. The rest of his team isn't that good and he goes to a public high school (class 4 out of 5 classes). Most of his stats are hard earned with consistent jamming at the line and double/triple teams. He is 6'6", 220 lbs and is a three sport star. He played on a state championship basketball team last year and was the state champion in the 100m and triple jump as a sophomore (he sat out at the end of last year's track season with a leg injury).Rumor's are that all of the accolades are getting to his head and he is already becoming a bit of a diva. I hope he keeps his head and gets some good coaching in college. Rumors abound on his college choices, but Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas & Missouri are considered likely choices.

This is one kid to keep an eye on because he has the physical tools to be an NFL star. I've read of him being compared to Randy Moss and Andre Johnson.

This kid plays in my area
Oh really?Springfield Missouri here, I graduated from Hillcrest 5 years ago. Ive seen the kid play, he will likely be the best College WR as long as he is playing college, he is a freakishly talented kid. Didnt read the article (I get daily updates about him on facebook) but he has been scouted by literally every college, he even has been given the opportunity to play college basketball instead of football, but Hillcrest has always been a football school so I doubt he would decide to play college basketball (he plays highschool basketball)

This kid plays in my area
Oh really?Springfield Missouri here, I graduated from Hillcrest 5 years ago. Ive seen the kid play, he will likely be the best College WR as long as he is playing college, he is a freakishly talented kid. Didnt read the article (I get daily updates about him on facebook) but he has been scouted by literally every college, he even has been given the opportunity to play college basketball instead of football, but Hillcrest has always been a football school so I doubt he would decide to play college basketball (he plays highschool basketball)
:hifive: I'm from/live in Christian County and graduated HS about 15 years ago. He's hands down the best athlete to ever come out of the area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Already being dubbed 'the next Calvin Johnson' and from the tape I've seen I believe it.

Arkansas is losing three WRs, has a solid QB and is close to home. Sounds like an ideal matchfor Petrino`s offense.

He underwhelmed at the AA game (despite a long TD) but I don't think it's worth reading into that too much. Interested to see where he ends up next year, looking like Arky is the favorite.

He's visiting Arkansas this weekend, Mizzou next weekend.......looking like it'll come down to those 2.

Everything I've ever read about him the last few years says he's an extremely humble kid and not cocky in the least even though he easily could be with his talents. Will be a great land for somebody.

He's visiting Arkansas this weekend, Mizzou next weekend.......looking like it'll come down to those 2.Everything I've ever read about him the last few years says he's an extremely humble kid and not cocky in the least even though he easily could be with his talents. Will be a great land for somebody.
I think Tyler Wilson staying for his senior year and Arkansas being close enough to home that it's a done deal he's a Razorback. He could surprise but he has a chance to make a huge impact his freshman year with Wilson.

I don't know if he was one of the big group of recruits we just had this weekend, but Arkansas did just have a bunch here. They got to witness a beat down of Michigan basketball :thumbup: I heard some positive stuff coming from the group as a whole.

One question I have is that at 6' 6" is DGB destined to become a TE? Can he bulk up without losing too much speed? Can't wait to see where he winds up.

Dorial Green-Beckham to commit to Missouri. Source is a bit questionable, but I'm sure we'll hear more over the next day or so. DGB's Decision
I know he hasn't played a a down yet but from a fantasy perspective, how would he compare to Sammy Watkins or Robert woods? We can draft college guys so trying to sort out how excited people are about this guy. And why Missouri???

Dorial Green-Beckham to commit to Missouri. Source is a bit questionable, but I'm sure we'll hear more over the next day or so. DGB's Decision
I know he hasn't played a a down yet but from a fantasy perspective, how would he compare to Sammy Watkins or Robert woods? We can draft college guys so trying to sort out how excited people are about this guy. And why Missouri???
This dude is a man among boys the moment he steps on the field. Might he take a year to figure out how to play college football? Maybe. I think is physical skills will carry him through, even if he slacks at learning technique and offense. Why Missouri? I guess his little bro means alot to him and he wants to stay at least close to him.

This dude is a man among boys the moment he steps on the field. Might he take a year to figure out how to play college football? Maybe. I think is physical skills will carry him through, even if he slacks at learning technique and offense. Why Missouri? I guess his little bro means alot to him and he wants to stay at least close to him.
That is a great reason!

Petrino's offense will make DGB a superstar WR at Arkansas

Missouri is going to get its ### kicked for a couple of years in the SEC, there is nothing about the Mizzou football program that is better than Arkansas at this point, from stadium to coaching to capability of winning a national title.

If DGB goes to Mizzou, its not because he's trying to go to the best program that fits him, its because of family factor, and that's ok, don't blame him at all for that

Rivals has him listed as the # 1 prospect coming out of high school this year:

Rivals' Top 50 Football Recruits

WR Dorial Green-Beckham

Commitment: Undeclared

High School: Hillcrest (Mo.)

Height: 6-6

Weight: 220

Perhaps the most accomplished wideout in high school history, Green-Beckham amassed 6,447 career receiving yards, a new national record. He lived up to the billing in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl: He made a one-handed, 79-yard touchdown reception on 3rd-and-38 in the West's 24-12 victory. He's weighing offers to Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas and Missouri, among others.

Distance from Springfield to Columbia mmo 186 miles

Distance from Springfield to Fayetteville 118 miles

Arkansas campus closer to home by about an hour

So how do people think this kid would actually rank versus the best college WRs? My thought right now is that someone like Sammy Watkins or Robert Woods has to be ranked higher from a fantasy developmental roster perspective. Basically those guys have at least proven they can play. That said, the moire I read about DGB the more it seems like the sky is the limit. I'm sitting with the first pick in our college player draft so it's very relevant for me since I want to take a wr. I'd imagine there are other owners in the same boat. Where do think he ranks right now in terms of WR you would draft on a developmental roster?

I think my list would be:

1. Sammy Watkins

2. DGB - based on sheer potential

3. Robert Woods

4. Marquis Lee

Missouri signs consenus No. 1 recruit Dorial Green-Backham, who decided to stay home.

The 6-foot-6 Green-Beckham won several player of the year honors after a sensational senior season at Hillcrest High in Springfield, Mo. The St. Louis native caught 119 passes for 2,233 yards and 24 touchdowns. He holds the national high-school mark of 6,356 career receiving yards

So how do people think this kid would actually rank versus the best college WRs? My thought right now is that someone like Sammy Watkins or Robert Woods has to be ranked higher from a fantasy developmental roster perspective. Basically those guys have at least proven they can play. That said, the moire I read about DGB the more it seems like the sky is the limit. I'm sitting with the first pick in our college player draft so it's very relevant for me since I want to take a wr. I'd imagine there are other owners in the same boat. Where do think he ranks right now in terms of WR you would draft on a developmental roster?I think my list would be:1. Sammy Watkins 2. DGB - based on sheer potential3. Robert Woods4. Marquis Lee
I'd take Watkins, Woods and Allen over him without any hesitation and at this point its not even close.

Dorial Green-Beckham chooses Missouri

Posted on: February 1, 2012 10:30 am

Edited on: February 1, 2012 10:40 am

Posted by Tom Fornelli

The entire college football world has been wondering where wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham would play his college ball, and the kid known as DGB put an end to the suspense on Wednesday morning.

Green-Beckham announced that he'd be signing his letter of intent to play at Missouri, choosing to stay closer to home.

The other schools in the running for Green-Beckham's services were Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas.

Obviously, this is a huge signing for Missouri and head coach Gary Pinkel as the school gets ready to join the SEC. You need playmakers to win in the SEC, and the Tigers may have signed the best one available.

Standing at 6-foot-6 and weighing 225 pounds, Green-Beckham is considered the top player in the country by MaxPreps, and has often been compared to Randy Moss thanks to his size, athleticism and skill.

"It's taken 17 years but I've finally found a wide receiver who is as good as Randy Moss," says Tom Lemming. "For years I've said Randy Moss was the best high school player I have seen, and Mr. Beckham has similar skills. He has great size, long arms, a true F.A.T. 100-meter time of 10.5, and superior production. The nation's No. 1 player, he appears to have no weaknesses. He will be the most celebrated prep football player in the country."

No word on whether or not this signing will lead to a giant boost in helicopter rentals.

Location leads WR Dorial Green-Beckham to sign with Missouri

By Tom Bergeron, Rivals.com, Special to SI.com

As he stood on the turf of the Alamodome in San Antonio in early January after being named co-MVP of the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, Dorial Green-Beckham was peppered with the same recruiting questions that he never felt comfortable answering.

In the middle of it all, the 6-foot-6, 220-pound seemingly NFL-ready wideout -- considered not only this year's top recruit, but perhaps the top in many years -- reached out through the crowd to his 6-year-old sister Eliza.

"You can come over here," he said.

With that, he continued answering queries about his college intentions, not revealing a hint of his leanings. As it turns out, one of the biggest clues may have been wrapping both of her arms around his legs as she looked up at him with love.

On Wednesday morning at Hillcrest High in Springfield, Mo., Green-Beckham announced that he is headed to Missouri, a campus roughly two hours from home.

The proximity, Green-Beckham said, made a difference.

"Just to stay home and have all those guys [family, friends] come out and see me [was big]," he said.

It was the most anticipated announcement of National Signing Day -- and the one that may have had the greatest impact. Green-Beckham, by all appearances, seems to be that good.

"He dominates with his body and his strength and he has big hands that snatch the ball out of the air," Rivals.com national analyst Mike Farrell said. "He's a natural red-zone threat, he can be a possession guy who can move the chains and make tough catches over the middle and along the sidelines and he has that deep threat ability."

Green-Beckham had an unstoppable senior season, catching 119 passes for 2,233 yards and 24 touchdowns en route to breaking the national career receiving record with 6,447 yards. He was showered with numerous national Player of the Year awards.

"Guys come in here and they say he's the best they've ever seen and that's coming from people who have seen a lot of great players," said his coach and adopted father, John Beckham.

Simply put, Green-Beckham isn't the typical high school hotshot. Both on and off the field, that's been apparent for quite some time.

Take his recruiting process. Courted relentlessly since his freshman season, he provided no public indication of which school he was favoring. He only listed the five schools that he would visit: Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Alabama and Texas.

Any speculation of which school was in front was simply that -- speculation. Nobody outside of his immediate family had any idea which hat he would grab during his nationally televised announcement.

Of course, that was likely because of his family situation.

Green-Beckham, along with his younger brother, Darnell, moved in with John and Tracy Beckham as foster children when Dorial was 12. It was the final stop of a childhood that was filled with neglect and abandonment and too many situations that sadly didn't work out.

Dorial and Darnell slowly built a relationship with the Beckhams, and the family adopted them a few years later. Both played a role in Dorial's development.

"To see him when all of these awards is great," she said in San Antonio after he received one of his handful of national Player of the Year awards. "But to see him grow into the man he is today is just so special."

Green-Beckham has never been comfortable with his status as a high school superstar.

He stopped doing interviews in the weeks leading up to Signing Day. And while he was always polite and respectful with reporters, it was obvious he struggled with his stature as the biggest star in a very public game.

"I'm just from a small town in Missouri," he said repeatedly.

His closeness and comfort with the Beckhams was apparent as well -- and it undoubtedly played a major role in his eventual decision. So was his desire to be close to Darnell, a high school sophomore still receiving treatment for leukemia, though he's in remission.

And then there was Eliza.

Any college in the country would have made room for Green-Beckham, but it was obvious on that afternoon in San Antonio that she wasn't going to let anyone take her big brother away.

It was obvious, too, that he also wasn't interested in traveling very far.

Distance from Springfield to Columbia mmo 186 milesDistance from Springfield to Fayetteville 118 milesArkansas campus closer to home by about an hour
I thought it was a foregone conclusion that he'd pick Arkansas, I'm :shock:

As a Mizzou season ticket holder, he is a much needed weapon as we enter life in the SEC. Been following him closely for the last 4 years.....looking forward to watching him first hand the next 3 years.

Well, DGB made this list.

Pretty impressive.
I am not going to hunt his list down from previous years, but I questioning the list because he had only 1 total bust, and Sam Young who was drafted by the Cowboys. No injury/maturity bust, no great player who gets screwed by situation/ dude who could not get by student thing, etc. Most of his dudes went from highly regarded to top 10-15 draft picks. Call me skeptical that he is being really honest.That said, Green-Beckham is the combination of elite athleticism and record-breaking production that points to a top 5 pick in 2015.

Well, DGB made this list.

Pretty impressive.
I am not going to hunt his list down from previous years, but I questioning the list because he had only 1 total bust, and Sam Young who was drafted by the Cowboys. No injury/maturity bust, no great player who gets screwed by situation/ dude who could not get by student thing, etc. Most of his dudes went from highly regarded to top 10-15 draft picks. Call me skeptical that he is being really honest.That said, Green-Beckham is the combination of elite athleticism and record-breaking production that points to a top 5 pick in 2015.
I was thinking that too, but there were a lot of guys from 2011 and 2012 classes (3 and 3 for a total of 6) on his list as well so we can wait and see with them I guess.

I've only watched a few brief clips, but I wonder if he's really as good as he's hyped to be.

He looks tall and fast, but not very agile. People are already drafting him (pretty high) in dynasty leagues that allow college dev players, and to me it's a bit crazy. It will be four years before he even plays a down for your team. That's a long time to wait if he ends up being the next DeAndre or Marlon Brown.

For every AJ Green or Julio Jones who remains an elite prospect from wire to wire, there are lots of guys like Demetris Summers, Darrell Scott, and Terrelle Pryor who never live up to the hype.

Who would you guys value more in dynasty at the moment, DGB or Sammy Watkins.
Not that high on either of them at the moment, though I haven't spent much time watching them. Watkins had some insane stats. I don't know if there's anything to his game other than speed though. Maybe. He certainly warrants consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread