What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dorial Green-Beckham (1 Viewer)

DGB reminds me of a Demaryius Thomas. Both considered physical freaks and both considered raw prospects.
Both physical freaks - DGB arguably moreso - but DT showed much more in college, catching 8 of his team's 11 TD's for a ridiculous 25 YPR. On the field DGB never distinguished himself from undrafted receiver L'Damian Washington.

There are fantasy football traps laid every year, and DGB is one of them. I love to see guys draft him high since it pushes good NFL talent and productive fantasy contributors down a bit.

He's going to be rusty but redshirting for a year would be brutal.
If he and/or his presence would push Hunter that would be fantastic.

If that happens and McBride pans out, the Titans suddenly have a nice WR corps.

He could be in Hunter's rookie role and sub in for the TD lobs. They can't double everyone, he across from Hunter with Walker in the middle seems like a tough redzone group of WRs

Stoops: Green-Beckham will have 'super' NFL career

The season of ringing endorsements is upon us, and the next up is rookie Titans wideout Dorial Green-Beckham.

Beckham didn't spend long with Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops -- he was dismissed from Missouri after a pair of arrests -- but that isn't stopping the Sooners' leader from saying that the Titans got a clean prospect that is ready to move on.

Green-Beckham, by the way, did not play a down at Oklahoma.

"A lot of times, through different circumstances, young people learn from mistakes, and I felt like he did," Stoops told The Tennessean. "There's a maturing process young people go through, and I believe Dorial has grown. Dorial has so much going for him. I think he is going to have a super career in the NFL. I hope it works out that way, and I believe it will. I really do."

One AFC offensive coordinator told NFL Media that Green-Beckham was completely lost when they had him in for board work. He scared many teams into thinking that he wasn't even an option before Day 3 of the NFL Draft.

The Titans, though, needed to make a splash fast. New quarterback, new play-making wideout. If nothing else, Green-Beckham may have been the most athletic option in the draft.

For the Titans' sake, they'd better hope Stoops was right about everything else.

I see Placido Burress at best.
He's more athletic than Plax IMO. I understand the comparisons but don't see how Plax is his ceiling.
It's not close to his ceiling. If he puts in the. Work and stays clean you have a Calvin DT type guy. He's very very talented. He just needs to stay clean and devote time to his craft. If he does many teams will regret passing and so will dynasty owners.

On the flip side he could be Plaxico in the off field sense, perhaps that's what you were referring too. That comparison makes much more sense.

Faust said:

The season of ringing endorsements is upon us, and the next up is rookie Titans wideout Dorial Green-Beckham.

Beckham didn't spend long with Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops -- he was dismissed from Missouri after a pair of arrests -- but that isn't stopping the Sooners' leader from saying that the Titans got a clean prospect that is ready to move on.

"A lot of times, through different circumstances, young people learn from mistakes, and I felt like he did," Stoops told The Tennessean. "There's a maturing process young people go through, and I believe Dorial has grown. Dorial has so much going for him. I think he is going to have a super career in the NFL. I hope it works out that way, and I believe it will. I really do."

One AFC offensive coordinator told NFL Media that Green-Beckham was completely lost when they had him in for board work. He scared many teams into thinking that he wasn't even an option before Day 3 of the NFL Draft.

The Titans, though, needed to make a splash fast. New quarterback, new play-making wideout. If nothing else, Green-Beckham may have been the most athletic option in the draft.

For the Titans' sake, they'd better hope Stoops was right about everything else.
Physically, he seems like a big talent, but the bolded above is the type of stuff that concerns me.

Faust said:

Physically, he seems like a big talent, but the bolded above is the type of stuff that concerns me.
Exactly, nobody can correct stupid.

I see Placido Burress at best.
He's more athletic than Plax IMO. I understand the comparisons but don't see how Plax is his ceiling.
It's not close to his ceiling. If he puts in the. Work and stays clean you have a Calvin DT type guy. He's very very talented. He just needs to stay clean and devote time to his craft. If he does many teams will regret passing and so will dynasty owners.

On the flip side he could be Plaxico in the off field sense, perhaps that's what you were referring too. That comparison makes much more sense.
Burress was a very good WR. I think you guys are underrating a talented wideout on some run-based offenses. When his teams passed they often had to and was not a case of some nice smooth offense 50% run 50% pass. It was more the ground and pound didn't work so now it's 3rd and long. He's the gem, we're going to double him and take away that pass. He made some real hard catches and seemed rewarded with an easy lob TD.

Whether it be Hines Ward or any of the young Giant WRs opposite him, they were the shorter targets and efficient as can be. Big play though, they went to Plax and the D knew it, and he caught it anyway. That is wayyyy easier said than done.

I don't know how Plax would have been instead of Fitz or if he was on the Rams instead of Holt. Very different style of offense. Zero chance the stats would be comparable. He was never in an O where he could get 100 catches 1500 yards or whatnot.

Last edited by a moderator:
cstu said:
DGB reminds me of a Demaryius Thomas. Both considered physical freaks and both considered raw prospects.
Both physical freaks - DGB arguably moreso - but DT showed much more in college, catching 8 of his team's 11 TD's for a ridiculous 25 YPR. On the field DGB never distinguished himself from undrafted receiver L'Damian Washington.
DGB isn't a freak athlete. He just isn't. Why do people keep pretending otherwise?

cstu said:
DGB isn't a freak athlete. He just isn't. Why do people keep pretending otherwise?
Wtf are you basing on this on? Hes much more athletic than his combine performance, much more. Anyone that has watched him for more than a minute can see that.

cstu said:
Wtf are you basing on this on? Hes much more athletic than his combine performance, much more. Anyone that has watched him for more than a minute can see that.
His subpar measurables outside of height and 40 time.The "spiderweb analysis" of WR athleticism across multiple dimensions indicates he has the athleticism of an average NFL WR.

What specific measurables - other than your eyes - do you base your assessment on?

Edit to add link to his scores: http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/4796/

so many DGB types that have no desire to be excellent or can't stay out of drugs/alcohol ..... they are not uncommon

will DGB turn it around? history says no, probably not

cstu said:
His subpar measurables outside of height and 40 time.The "spiderweb analysis" of WR athleticism across multiple dimensions indicates he has the athleticism of an average NFL WR.

What specific measurables - other than your eyes - do you base your assessment on?

Seriously watch some tape. He doesn't look quick till you realised he's out pacing DBS smoothly with 6 inches and 50 lbs on them.

Watch him highpoint a ball then tell me his recorded 33 inch vertical is right.

cstu said:

Seriously watch some tape. He doesn't look quick till you realised he's out pacing DBS smoothly with 6 inches and 50 lbs on them.

Didn't people say that about Green and Hunter?

cstu said:

Didn't people say that about Green and Hunter?
I couldn't say, I haven't been following them since they were 17.

cstu said:

Why would you try to argue about his vertical, when it has been objectively measured?

If DGB was a real freak, it would have shown up on paper. He's a very good athlete, but freak he is not. If DGB is a freak so is AJ Green. Calvin Johnson and Julio Jones are freaks. DGB's workout numbers are nowhere close. He's not even as freaky as Vincent Jackson.

I like DGB but I see him in the Plax Burress/Mike Evans/Brandon Marshall(maybe) range. I think people are kidding themselves if they see Calvin Johnson/Randy Moss as his comp.

I like DGB but I see him in the Plax Burress/Mike Evans/Brandon Marshall(maybe) range. I think people are kidding themselves if they see Calvin Johnson/Randy Moss as his comp.
I agree. He may be solid, but saying he has that level of talent and that it is just the off the field issues is overstating it. I don't think he is as good as DT if he stays clean. That's a huge assumption.

First practice- DGB wasn't in the huddle so Mariota asked for him. Whisenhunt obliged. DGB jumped offsides and "heard it" from the staff.

People get too caught up in wanting someone to be the next freak. He's freaky enough to be a WR1 if he develops and stays out of trouble, and that's what needs to be kept in perspective. The Calvin comparisons that followed him as a HS recruit were ridiculous then and now.

all I got to say is name a player that has taken 2 years off and been good? Waiting
2 years?

He took one year off of playing on gameday, which is no different from anyone who suffered a serious injury their last year in college. You know, like Gurley playing two years and then getting suspended a game, and then going down with a season-ending knee injury his first game back. Except that DGB practiced every day on the scout team, all season.

It's really not that big a deal in the big picture.

Bri said:
I'll start

Bri said:
In an effort to get this topic more on track

Suppose Mariota and Mettenberger combine to throw 300 completions for 4000 total yards and 25 TDs.

What do you project for -

Hunter- 48 700

DGB- 27 450

Wright- 85 1150

Douglas- 50 700

McBride-20 250

and TE Walker-70 850
Don't really see the point in putting the time into projections here before the depth chart is nailed down and preseason is well under way, at the earliest. I think well-established offenses are easier to project right now. A total toss-up offense like the Titans with so many young pieces and a rookie QB, I don't see any way you could reliably project right now.

stbugs said:
I agree. He may be solid, but saying he has that level of talent and that it is just the off the field issues is overstating it. I don't think he is as good as DT if he stays clean. That's a huge assumption.
I don't think he's the athlete DT is, but it's realistic he can develop into a Burress, VJax, or Marshall type of player.

stbugs said:
I don't think he's the athlete DT is, but it's realistic he can develop into a Burress, VJax, or Marshall type of player.
And that type of upside is well worth the pick he has been going at in most leagues. If someone thought he had that Calvin/Moss upside, even discounted for the knucklehead factor - shouldn't he be going top 3?

Bri said:
I'll start

Bri said:

Suppose Mariota and Mettenberger combine to throw 300 completions for 4000 total yards and 25 TDs.

Hunter- 48 700

DGB- 27 450

Wright- 85 1150

Douglas- 50 700

McBride-20 250

and TE Walker-70 850
Don't really see the point in putting the time into projections here before the depth chart is nailed down and preseason is well under way, at the earliest. I think well-established offenses are easier to project right now. A total toss-up offense like the Titans with so many young pieces and a rookie QB, I don't see any way you could reliably project right now.
I'll delete my posts and check with you next time before I suggest people do something. You could have simply not done it, but since you didn't...

Bri said:
I'll start

Bri said:

Hunter- 48 700

DGB- 27 450

Wright- 85 1150

Douglas- 50 700

McBride-20 250

and TE Walker-70 850
I'll delete my posts and check with you next time before I suggest people do something. You could have simply not done it, but since you didn't...
Why would you react this way? You see value in something, I don't. I think that's worthy of discussion. You apparently don't. That's not my problem.

Exactly, nobody can correct stupid.
did they need to with Josh Gordon? Dez Bryant? Terrell Owens? Ben R?

don't confuse being a mensa candidate with being a productive football player. I don't think I'll see Cam Newton on Jeopardy any time soon but I'd gladly trot him out as my QB.

Read Waldmans take.

Wouldn't be surprised if McBride makes a bigger splash this year and is a better long term player.

From a sports reporter friend-

Andrew Turzilli was the best WR at rookie minicamp and he said very impressed by Jarrod West.

Me googling-

Turzilli did "nothing" in college and was 133rd ranked WR entering the draft.

His pro day times, with a hamstring injury, are faster than any WR over 6-3.

He worked out with Bengals WR Sanu.

Titans signed this nobody to a three year 1.5 mil contract.

Rookie tryout guys don't usually get three year deals.

This is the perfect camp body for the Titans with questions about work ethic or attitude of DGB and JAG-big fast hungry

It doesn't seem like there's a spot for him on the roster but I guess a three year deal shows enough love so maybe give him a 1% chance.

Users who are viewing this thread