What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dorial Green-Beckham (4 Viewers)

Well if that is true about Moss I stand corrected. Bryant didn't get into any trouble while in school so innuendo doesn't count. I still argue that a player like Randy Moss is teh exception and not the rule.

Just to be clear, I didn't compare any players to DGB, so put a cork in your strawman label. My point is that it takes a lot more than physical talent to make an impact in teh NFL. A person must have discipline (on and off the field) and desire. DGB past shows a lack of these traits.

Every year I see some guy hyped up in the SP that comes with lots of personal baggage, and I cannot think of one instance where the player's career actually matched the hype. It takes a lot more than just physical tools to become an impact NFL player. My assessment is that DGB's past indicates that he does not have the personality or discipline to make an impact in the NFL. Someone please enlighten me and give me the name of a player with his type of baggage that had an impactful career.
Dez Bryant and Randy Moss turned out OK.
Fail. Neither player was ever suspended from their teams, transferred to another school, or had the off field issues of DGB.
Bryant was suspended for his final season.

Moss was kicked out of Notre Dame before he even got there, and got the boot from FSU too when he wasn't allowed to go back to Florida:

The star wide receiver had first committed to play football at Notre Dame, along with his buddy Howard. However, Moss was arrested while still at DuPont for his involvement in a beating of a fellow student, who was alleged to have scrawled a racist comment on a desk. That ended his career at Notre Dame before it began, but Coach Lou Holtz helped Moss latch on with Bobby Bowden at Florida State.

The condition in Tallahassee was that Moss had to sit out a season as a redshirt, during which he wowed teammates in practices. After his freshman year, Moss had to finish out his sentence for the beating in a work-release program, but he failed a drug test after smoking marijuana. Moss was sent back to jail in Charleston, and placed in solitary confinement for a week.

The violation of the terms of his probation meant that Moss couldn’t return to Florida State for his first season of college football.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was there this morning. DGB was pretty up and down. If he gets it all together, look out!
Matched his 2013 tape, incredible ability but looks lost out there, constantly.Mix that with all of the neck up stuff and you do not have a first round pick. Late day two pick, at the earliest. If the background checks are uglier than expected hen he probably gets removed from draft boards.

I am now questioning myself due to the fact that I seem to kind of agree with Soufly.

DGB clearly has red flags, but my goodness is the upside exciting. I would still only take him after the top 5 go, but in a couple of years many may wish they took him. That said the top 4 wrs this yr (including him) are very impressive.
He's a lot more interesting to us fantasy players than he should be for NFL GM's.

I'll say this and I'm as big a DGB guy on these boards as anyone, that 4.5 may very well have put him out of the first round when combined with everything else. I think the general word on him was a .42-.46 guy. Was mildly disappointed in that. But 4.5 is still fast and still has great hands with size you can only dream of.

The scariest thing is DGB could end up in NE.

I mean.... not very likely... but if he's sitting there at NE's pick, do they pass on a guy who could legit blow that offense out of the water?

Bill isnt scared, we all know that. And they could use some patchwork elsewhere... But I mean... My lord, can you imagine?
I've been praying, and mocking that NE goes WR in the first, DGB everytime if he's there.

I'll say this and I'm as big a DGB guy on these boards as anyone, that 4.5 may very well have put him out of the first round when combined with everything else. I think the general word on him was a .42-.46 guy. Was mildly disappointed in that. But 4.5 is still fast and still has great hands with size you can only dream of.
Does he have great hands? I didn't see the gauntlet, but I wasn't impressed when they showed his routes. You mentioned you think he will blow away ODB and he has much shorter hands (ODB measured 10" compared to DGB 9") and ODB has shown ridiculous hands. What makes you think he has great hands? I'm asking as I don't know much about DGB other than what I watched.

Does he have great hands? I didn't see the gauntlet, but I wasn't impressed when they showed his routes. You mentioned you think he will blow away ODB and he has much shorter hands (ODB measured 10" compared to DGB 9") and ODB has shown ridiculous hands. What makes you think he has great hands? I'm asking as I don't know much about DGB other than what I watched.
His hands are solid, it's everything beforehand that can be a bit of an adventure.

I mean.... not very likely... but if he's sitting there at NE's pick, do they pass on a guy who could legit blow that offense out of the water?

Bill isnt scared, we all know that. And they could use some patchwork elsewhere... But I mean... My lord, can you imagine?
I've been praying, and mocking that NE goes WR in the first, DGB everytime if he's there.
It just feels like a Billy B move. Oh, scouts think he should drop to the 3rd for character issues?

Lemme take him in the first and watch him go 1400/15 in year one w Brady.

It almost feels written in the stars

It just feels like a Billy B move. Oh, scouts think he should drop to the 3rd for character issues?

I don't think he will drop to the 2nd let alone the 3rd round and Bill Belichick has never taken a WR in the 1st round in the unlikely scenario he would drop to the 32nd pick of the 1st round.

What will you say the first time he's arrested with weed? Will you continue to support this guy? Wasting a 1st rd rookie pick in dynasty on this guy is foolish imo, because when he gets into trouble, and the chances are great for that, I wouldn't want to remember that I gave a 1st rd pick for him. Now if he falls to the 2nd, then that is a different story altogether.

I don't think he will drop to the 2nd let alone the 3rd round and Bill Belichick has never taken a WR in the 1st round in the unlikely scenario he would drop to the 32nd pick of the 1st round.
no way in hell he goes to the 3rd... probably farfetched he gets to the second.

I think there's a decent chance he falls to NE, but someone may move up to get him. If he's there for NE, I dunno if they can pass

What will you say the first time he's arrested with weed? Will you continue to support this guy? Wasting a 1st rd rookie pick in dynasty on this guy is foolish imo, because when he gets into trouble, and the chances are great for that, I wouldn't want to remember that I gave a 1st rd pick for him. Now if he falls to the 2nd, then that is a different story altogether.
when is the last time he got busted for pot?

Im being serious, I dont know an actual date, but wasnt it more than a few yrs back?

when is the last time he got busted for pot?

Im being serious, I dont know an actual date, but wasnt it more than a few yrs back?
About the same length of time as Josh Gordon before he was drafted.

Sounds like a smarmy response from me, but it's the truth. Gordon was well-behaved after his transfer, same as DGB.

Also, the pot arrest was not the most recent event. The smashed door, girl shoved down the stairs was DGB's last negative demonstration.

Rotoworld:

Dorial Green-Beckham - WR - Sooners

Oklahoma WR Dorial Green-Beckham ran an "unofficial" 4.49 forty with a 10 yard split of 1.61.

This is at 6'5" and 237 lbs with 32 1/2" arms and 9" hands. DGB is a specimen who wins in contested situations, but also has nice yards after catch ability for his size. There are so many layers to green-Beckham's evaluation: off-field question, sitting out of football for a season, route running hangups. He still has a chance to be a top 15 selection.

Feb 21 - 10:21 AM

Ill say, "man what an idiot" - then ill say its a good thing they changed their substance abuse policy so that he gets four strikes until he actually misses time.

Most recent picks being at the end:

Firsts: DT, TE, DT, DT, TE, OG, RB, S, LB, CB, OT, DE, LB, DT

Seconds: OG, OT, WR, DB, WR, DE, WR, DB, DB, DT, DB, OT, TE, LB, LB, DB, LB, WR, QB

While the Pats haven't taken a WR in the first in the BB era, they do take the best prospect available quite often ignoring risk. OL/DL are pretty deep this year, they need a WR and I think they will take one in the first with the receiving class being top heavy.

Last edited by a moderator:

DGB to NE would be a mistake and I think they know that.

"mistake".. interesting take... why's that?

"mistake".. interesting take... why's that?
BB recognizes the strength of letting Brady spread the ball around. I'm sure he would be happy with a top end wr1, but I doubt he views it as a priority. As long as Gronk is there keeping defenses honest, role players like edeleman and lafell will keep the offense moving.

Rotoworld:

Oklahoma WR Dorial Green-Beckham is the "best deep threat in the draft," according to Fox Sports' Joel Klatt.
Klatt moved DGB up to No. 23 from No. 45 on his personal rankings. "Listing him at 23 is not an indication of overall skill, as I am still a bit nervous about his off-field problems and overall maturity," Klatt writes. Green-Beckham is a big framed receiver with good straight-line speed for his size, but by no means is he an athletic specimen.

Source: Fox Sports
Feb 25 - 12:48 PM

What? Just because he's not a once-in-a-generation freak of nature doesn't mean he's not an athletic specimen in his own right. 6'5", 237, 4.49 40, faster 3-cone than White, smooth athlete for his size. He's a specimen, he's just not Calvin.

So now Rotoworld is now outsourcing its contradictory blurbs to Fox? I guess that makes sense.

I don't think it is the best idea to listen to the opinions of someone who just had a well known player jump from pick 45 to 23 because of the combine.

Yeah...rotoworld is really going down the :toilet:

I love being in my leagues with the owners that take their advice as golden. Makes it easy to predict the market on waiver wire players and when Roto starts pumping up a player, that is always the best time to trade them and rake in a kings ransom. Then sit back and laugh as the player faceplants! Thank you Rotoworld!

Rotoworld:

Dorial Green-Beckham - WR - Sooners

NFL Media's Bucky Brooks believes Oklahoma WR Dorial Green-Beckham "has the ability to develop into a Plaxico Burress-type playmaker as a pro."

"Green-Beckham's immense talent and potential will lead several teams to overlook his character issues on draft day," Brooks wrote. The analyst is undoubtedly right, though some teams will refuse to draft him based on those concerns. Earlier this week, for example, Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome announced he won't select any player with a domestic-abuse background.

Source: NFL.com

Feb 26 - 11:39 PM

“State of the Draft”: Winston’s Motives, Petty’s Landing Spots, More Green-Beckham Notes, Pass-Rushers and MoreExcerpt:

I wrote a background piece on Dorial Green-Beckham over at Sporting News. If that isn’t concerning enough, here’s what I couldn’t say there: He was caught with weed on two separate occasions, once with a pound, arrested just once, and those chargers were dropped. Concerns over potential failed drug test at Missouri that may have been swept away linger. As it was described to me, he “Manziel’d” and “Mathieu’d” Missouri, allowing him to have more influence and less restrictions on his behavior because of his star power. His history of getting away with offenses with minimal penalties and his domestic violence incident at Missouri is awfully concerning.

-Staying with DGB, I’ve heard that his domestic violence issue stemmed his girlfriend caught cheating on him with his teammate. At Oklahoma, “lazy” and “serious bad attitude” were some of the words described to me about his time there by someone close to the program. I was told the story that he left Oklahoma because his offensive coordinator left doesn’t seem accurate, and it’s more likely that this was his plan all along, as his mother/brother need medical bill assistance. Others I have spoken with have vouched for him as a good kid deep down with a strong support structure now that just made some poor decisions. Still it should be hard for teams to overlook these repeated concerns.

-Final notes on DGB: I’ll be shocked if he’s a first-rounder. That would really take balls for a team to pull the trigger. He’ll likely be viewed as a throw-away pick: don’t expect anything out of him, and if he works out, it’s simply gravy. I can’t see a team viewing that as first-round worthy, regardless of his elite skill set. My best guess now: 2nd or 3rd round to the Baltimore Ravens, where he can get away from the state Missouri and be mentored by Torrey Smith, who comes from a similar rough background.

“State of the Draft”: Winston’s Motives, Petty’s Landing Spots, More Green-Beckham Notes, Pass-Rushers and More

Excerpt:

I wrote a background piece on Dorial Green-Beckham over at Sporting News. If that isn’t concerning enough, here’s what I couldn’t say there: He was caught with weed on two separate occasions, once with a pound, arrested just once, and those chargers were dropped. Concerns over potential failed drug test at Missouri that may have been swept away linger. As it was described to me, he “Manziel’d” and “Mathieu’d” Missouri, allowing him to have more influence and less restrictions on his behavior because of his star power. His history of getting away with offenses with minimal penalties and his domestic violence incident at Missouri is awfully concerning.

-Staying with DGB, I’ve heard that his domestic violence issue stemmed his girlfriend caught cheating on him with his teammate. At Oklahoma, “lazy” and “serious bad attitude” were some of the words described to me about his time there by someone close to the program. I was told the story that he left Oklahoma because his offensive coordinator left doesn’t seem accurate, and it’s more likely that this was his plan all along, as his mother/brother need medical bill assistance. Others I have spoken with have vouched for him as a good kid deep down with a strong support structure now that just made some poor decisions. Still it should be hard for teams to overlook these repeated concerns.

-Final notes on DGB: I’ll be shocked if he’s a first-rounder. That would really take balls for a team to pull the trigger. He’ll likely be viewed as a throw-away pick: don’t expect anything out of him, and if he works out, it’s simply gravy. I can’t see a team viewing that as first-round worthy, regardless of his elite skill set. My best guess now: 2nd or 3rd round to the Baltimore Ravens, where he can get away from the state Missouri and be mentored by Torrey Smith, who comes from a similar rough background.
horrible piece, the owner said he will not have any players with domestic violence on his team, this writer must have missed that news. torrey smith might not be back either.

Bull, nothing but good stuff has come out of Oklahoma about DGB. He was in a strict no-tolerance situation there. They would have booted him if he was lazy or had a bad attitude. He worked his ### off at Oklahoma and everything we have on the record supports that. It's misinformation season.

That author doesn't know what he's talking about, plain and simple. Like everyone else, he's overreacting and overweighing everything going on with Gordon and the domestic abuse stuff in the league right now.

Users who are viewing this thread