Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TidesofWar

Olive Garden Refuses American Flag

33 posts in this topic

That's pretty dumb on Olive Garden's part. There will be a lot of negative P/R from that

I will never eat an Olive Garden again. Not that I was planning to.

Do they display the Italian or Sicilian flag?

Honestly, if they didn't have a private dining area, wtf are they doing hosting private events?

pretty fast turnaround from Darden but on a late Friday this may go unnoticed for awhile

October 14, 2011Olive Garden President: "The American Flag Is Always Welcome."ORLANDO, Fla., Oct. 14, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --Statement from John Caron, president of Olive Garden:"To our friends and neighbors who may be concerned about whether or not guests can bring the American flag into Olive Garden, I want to assure you the American flag is always welcome in any of our restaurants. Anyone who wishes to bring the flag into our restaurants may certainly do so. I want to express my most heartfelt apology to anyone who has been offended by our mistake. The misunderstanding was purely a case of our corporate office giving incorrect information to one of our restaurants. We greatly regret that mistake and as a company we take responsibility for it. We are proud of our American roots and proud of our employees who are veterans and reservists, as well as all of our employees who serve their communities where they live and work. Olive Garden has nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for the American flag and everything it symbolizes."

Unitalian and Unamerican, let this chain die a slow and painful death please.

pretty fast turnaround from Darden but on a late Friday this may go unnoticed for awhile

October 14, 2011

Olive Garden President: "The American Flag Is Always Welcome."

ORLANDO, Fla., Oct. 14, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --

Statement from John Caron, president of Olive Garden:

"To our friends and neighbors who may be concerned about whether or not guests can bring the American flag into Olive Garden, I want to assure you the American flag is always welcome in any of our restaurants. Anyone who wishes to bring the flag into our restaurants may certainly do so. I want to express my most heartfelt apology to anyone who has been offended by our mistake. The misunderstanding was purely a case of our corporate office giving incorrect information to one of our restaurants. We greatly regret that mistake and as a company we take responsibility for it. We are proud of our American roots and proud of our employees who are veterans and reservists, as well as all of our employees who serve their communities where they live and work. Olive Garden has nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for the American flag and everything it symbolizes."

I'm just going to imagine that it was some general manager not understanding something from the corporate office and making a really poor decision.

damn I didn't know Darden owned the Capital Grille

I can't even imagine being in a country and being offended by the sight of their flag. What are these clowns thinking? Trying too hard to be overly PC, they end up being the opposite.

October 14, 2011

Olive Garden President: "The American Flag Is Always Welcome."

ORLANDO, Fla., Oct. 14, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --

Statement from John Caron, president of Olive Garden:

"To our friends and neighbors who may be concerned about whether or not guests can bring the American flag into Olive Garden, I want to assure you the American flag is always welcome in any of our restaurants. Anyone who wishes to bring the flag into our restaurants may certainly do so. I want to express my most heartfelt apology to anyone who has been offended by our mistake. The misunderstanding was purely a case of our corporate office giving incorrect information to one of our restaurants. We greatly regret that mistake and as a company we take responsibility for it. We are proud of our American roots and proud of our employees who are veterans and reservists, as well as all of our employees who serve their communities where they live and work. Olive Garden has nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for the American flag and everything it symbolizes."

I'm just going to imagine that it was some general manager not understanding something from the corporate office and making a really poor decision.
According to the OP, the parent company seemed to initially back what this local branch did. Corporate office is in CYA mode now.

I can't even imagine being in a country and being offended by the sight of their flag. What are these clowns thinking? Trying too hard to be overly PC, they end up being the opposite.

Hell I bet it was something as simple as not allowing groups/parties to hang banners or signs like "ELM CITY PEE-WEE FOOTBALL" or "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TED!".

Hell I bet it was something as simple as not allowing groups/parties to hang banners or signs like "ELM CITY PEE-WEE FOOTBALL" or "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TED!".
Elm City Pee-Wee Football Rules!!!

America should thank them by sending them back to Albania.

this

Yeah. This is why I never go there. :rolleyes:

I wish olive garden would f with their customers more often. One step towards fixing the eating habits of Americans.

I'm always astounded that anyone gets offended by the display or lack of display of a fabric with a bunch of colors and symbols on it.

I'm always astounded that anyone gets offended by the display or lack of display of a fabric with a bunch of colors and symbols on it.

It depends on what's behind it.

this is an outrage and will greatly effect my day to day life activities.

Dear Kiwanis centenarians:

We don't allow flags or banners in our restaurant. Had you inquired beforehand, we would have told you that. We just thought you wanted to make reservations for a big party to have dinner, not to actually hold your club's annual meeting in our freaking dining room.

Thanks,

The Olive Garden

P.S.: Thanks also for stirring up a dumb-### non-issue, so now we have to send out a knee-jerk PC press release, just so everybody knows that we think that the American flag is really cool.

Kind of like the Chapelle series - "When keeping it PC goes wrong". Only less funny, and more communist. ;)

I think you've got it precisely backwards. Having a policy that groups can't come into their dining room and hang banners or flags isn't PC in the least. It's a restaurant trying to maintain a particular dining experience. Political correctness comes into play in this story when people get all outraged and threaten a boycott because an American flag was involved.

I think you've got it precisely backwards. Having a policy that groups can't come into their dining room and hang banners or flags isn't PC in the least. It's a restaurant trying to maintain a particular dining experience. Political correctness comes into play in this story when people get all outraged and threaten a boycott because an American flag was involved.
Alright - we'll just call it entirely terrible customer service. Rage on...

We are too cheap to book a private room but we want to hold our group meeting amongst the rest of your customers as well as display the flag and our banners.

Umm. No.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to eat at an Olive Garden. The salads taste like the plastic bag they were shipped in. The food is cookie cutter, unauthentic slop that is microwaved. I don't get the appeal.

Political Correctness is the suppresion of free speech by a group of people to not offend another group who could hypothetically be offended if they happen to be hypersensative ninnies.

Political Correctness is the suppresion of free speech...

Like, "How dare you tell anybody they can't fly my preferred piece of meaningless Americana!"

...by a group of people...

Like whiny, overly sensitive flag wavers.

...to not offend another group who could hypothetically be offended...

Like other whiny, overly sensitive flag wavers.

...if they happen to be hypersensative ninnies.

Like whiny, overly sensitive flag wavers.Nailed it again, jmx. :thumbup: There's not a bigger bunch of whiny tools on the planet than flag junkies.