What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dark Souls :Remastered :YOU DIED: (1 Viewer)

STEADYMOBBIN 22

Footballguy
Searched and didn't see a thread on this so....I rented the 360 version and it's great. IF anybody knows how Co-op works and wants to play, hit me up. Worm and I weren't sure how Humanity works in the video game thread but I'm posting it here:

Hold Humanity The amount of Humanity held by the player is represented by a number in the top left corner of the HUD. "Holding" Humanity - that is, using the consumable items the points are in, and holding them in your Humanity meter - puts those points at risk. Upon death, you will drop your held Humanity as well as your Souls, increasing the price of dying twice. Holding Humanity is not the same as being human. Recovering your Human form will cost you one Humanity point from your held total. The level of Humanity increases the player's resistance to being Cursed. The level of Humanity also increases the player's item discovery stat witch determines the likelihood of enemies dropping items. Having 1 humanity increases item discovery to 120 (from the base of 100), and each additional humanity increases item discovery by between 2 and 5 points. The maximum item discovery attainable from humanity is 210 achieved at 30 humanity. The level of Humanity affects the damage of various items/spells that do "chaos" damage." This damage maxes at 10 humanity (EDIT: Using great chaos fireball, saw NO difference in damage counting down from 10 humanity).Use Humanity Humanity is used to revive to Human form, or to kindle Bonfires. Regaining Human form costs one Humanity point, which you must spend at a Bonfire. You may choose to "Kindle" any bonfire by spending a Humanity point there, while you are already Human. Doing this will increase the maximum number of "swigs" your Estus Flask recovers from staying at that fire. Human form will allow players to summon Phantoms for help and guidance on their journey. Human form will allow players to invade an other player's world. Human form will also leave the player open to invasions by hostile Black Phantoms.Earn Humanity Humanity can be earned by playing as a Phantom, and help kill the end-level boss. Humanity can be earned by killing Evil Spirits (invading players), or by invading and killing a player in another world. Humanity can be earned by having your hint sign up-voted by another player. Humanity can be earned by killing a large amount of monsters in one area if the boss is alive (up to 10 Humanity). Dying, using the bonfire, or leaving the area does not reset your monster kill count for that area. Humanity can be bought from some merchants. Humanity can be found, as a dropped item, from some killed enemies. Humanity can be found as a consumable item. Sewer Rats drops consumable humanity items. These consumables can be stored, just like other items, and will not be lost if the player dies. Consuming a humanity item will also restore the player's health.Lose Humanity Humanity is lost upon death, with one chance to retrieve it, if the player can reach the bloodstain where death occurred. If the player dies in Human Form, it will respawn in Hollowed form, or as an undead. Dying will result in the message 'You Died'. Hollowed form has detrimental effects on the player, but does not decrease maximum health.

Last edited by a moderator:
Co op in this game is not what you are likely thinking. You can not choose who to play co op with. It was similar to Demon Souls in that who you play with/against is random.

I'm glad somebody started a thread on this. Demon's Souls is probably the only game of this generation that I feel really passionately about. It wasn't for everyone, but if you bought into what the developers were trying to do, it was awesome. Definitely a niche title, but one that deserved every bit of the critical acclaim that it got.

So it should mean something when I say that Dark Souls is better than the original. The way that so many of the areas in this game fit together to create this big world is awesome. The addition of pyromancy alongside sorcery and miracles is cool. The ability to summon NPC phantoms for certain bosses is neat. And I like the fact that very few bosses can be cheesed/glitched this time around.

There are a few minuses. First of all, the framerate drops to unacceptable levels in a few spots for no discernable reason. I'm honestly surprised that the Blighttown area cleared QA. Second, the online multiplayer is sort of broken thanks to the lack of dedicated servers. It's harder to summon or get summoned than you would like. And there are some boss fights where being able to summon another player to help you out makes a huge difference. Finally -- and this is kind of a minor point -- elemental weapons and pyromancy seem to be overpowered compared to stat-scaling weapons. I think the optimal leveling pattern is just to pump up Endurance and Vitality, upgrade the pyromancy flame, and go to town with lightning-based weapons.

All of these issues are fairly minor though. This is a great game. If you tried Demon's Souls and you didn't like it, then you won't like this game either, and that's completely fine/understandable/reasonable. If you liked the original though, you'll definitely like this one too. Great franchise.

I listened to a few friends talk at great length about this game earlier today and it made me really interested to try the game at some point. The premise of the game isn't one that I would usually be interested in, but just the tales of the adventures and random events that happen during the game made me so intrigued to try it at some point.

With Arkham City this week and Battlefield 3 next week, I doubt I'll get to it any time soon, but I'll certainly try to read the discussion in here to see if my curiosity remains until I'm able to play.

Oddly enough, I still haven't seen any gameplay footage of the game. Perhaps I should search some out to see what it looks like.

Oddly enough, I still haven't seen any gameplay footage of the game. Perhaps I should search some out to see what it looks like.
Look no further. Great review with tons of gameplay herehttp://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/dark-souls/video/6337762/dark-souls-video-review

I think I played for 3 hours last night, killed a boss and ran through a couple different areas. Leveled up a few times. Didn't really make a whole lot of progress, but I had fun. I like how cautiously this game makes you approach each battle.

I understand the appeal of these types of games but theyre just not for me. Maybe back in the day when I had time to figure out which path was the right one to take, which upgrades to do when, and learn the pattern of the bosses, but I just dont have time for that stuff now. I wish I did. Guess Ill be sticking to the fast paced games like Batman and God of War.

Absolutely loving this game. I haven't played a game this much since Borderlands. That being said I am absolutely horrible at it. I know you are supposed to die a lot (and I do) but I just do not have the skills to compete with the bosses with out having a level advantage. i have spent a good portion of my time leveling up so that i can beat the boss in the given level.

Absolutely loving this game. I haven't played a game this much since Borderlands. That being said I am absolutely horrible at it. I know you are supposed to die a lot (and I do) but I just do not have the skills to compete with the bosses with out having a level advantage. i have spent a good portion of my time leveling up so that i can beat the boss in the given level.
It really takes me back to old PC games. No really, EVERYBODY does a lot. And I mean a lot. All it takes is for one scrub to get the jump on you and it's a good chance you're not making it out.

It really takes me back to old PC games. No really, EVERYBODY does a lot. And I mean a lot. All it takes is for one scrub to get the jump on you and it's a good chance you're not making it out.
Have you gotten to Blightown(sp) yet?

Anyone fought the ghosts down in the water yet? FFS they are hard.
I cleared that entire place out, only to die by slipping off a ledge after I got a key that I needed. Haven't gotten around to going back and doing it again yet.
I used up about 2-3 of those potions that let you fight ghosts before I gave up. Down to 1 left and want to wait until I'm a little better equipped.

I cleared that entire place out, only to die by slipping off a ledge after I got a key that I needed. Haven't gotten around to going back and doing it again yet.
I used up about 2-3 of those potions that let you fight ghosts before I gave up. Down to 1 left and want to wait until I'm a little better equipped.
What ghosts and where?

Also, wish I would have picked the Master Key as my gift. :kicksrock:

Seems like it would have been WAY more useful than my stupid ring that gives me like 20 HP. :wall:

What ghosts and where?
from the wiki, I'm talking about the Wraiths in the New Londo Ruins

Trying to fight off getting this one with work, grad school, and a new lady friend in the mix. You goobs are making this difficult. <_<

Trying to fight off getting this one with work, grad school, and a new lady friend in the mix. You goobs are making this difficult. <_<
Well, good thing for you, extreme patience is needed to play this game! So see you in a few months. ;)

What ghosts and where?
Oh I haven't gotten that far. I just beat the hydra in the lake and then got owned by some giant rat/dogs after I went up the ladder.

What ghosts and where?
Oh I haven't gotten that far. I just beat the hydra in the lake and then got owned by some giant rat/dogs after I went up the ladder.
That's the beauty of this game I think... I haven't seen/fought a hydra yet. I have fought some poisonous rats.

You might make a mental note that if, by chance, you were to get cursed ( :whistle: ), you can damage the wraiths without having to use any consumables. Of course then you'll only have half your hp . . .

What ghosts and where?
That's the beauty of this game I think... I haven't seen/fought a hydra yet. I have fought some poisonous rats.
Yeah I the rats in the sewers were easy until they ganged up on me with some curse spewing frogs. nothing like having your HP's permanently cut in half. The good thing was that if you are able to make it out of the sewers and have a certain item or a bunch of souls you can have the curse removed, but good luck getting out with half your HPs.

How do you guys like the magic system? I read an article today that said there was no mana per say, only a counter as to how many times you can cast. And you can't fill the counter unless you go back to a fire.

If I am understanding that right, that would seem to limit the ability to build a decent mage.

How do you guys like the magic system? I read an article today that said there was no mana per say, only a counter as to how many times you can cast. And you can't fill the counter unless you go back to a fire. If I am understanding that right, that would seem to limit the ability to build a decent mage.
You can level up a stat that allows you remember more spells (Attunement). A dedicated mage would eventually be able to go from bonfire to bonfire with plenty of spells to spare. But you're right that early on, you'd have to use lots of melee. Also, this game divides spells from Demon's Souls into two categories now: Sorcery (stuff like Soul Arrow) and Pyromancy (stuff like Firestorm). Sorcery scales with intelligence, byt Pyromancy doesn't stat-scale -- you increase its power by upgrading your catalyst. So a person could pour stat points into ENT and VIT and still have awesome pyromancy, while a mage has to invest points in INT if they want their sorcery to be any good. In other words, you're right that mages aren't as good a build as they were in the original.

How do you guys like the magic system? I read an article today that said there was no mana per say, only a counter as to how many times you can cast. And you can't fill the counter unless you go back to a fire. If I am understanding that right, that would seem to limit the ability to build a decent mage.
You can level up a stat that allows you remember more spells (Attunement). A dedicated mage would eventually be able to go from bonfire to bonfire with plenty of spells to spare. But you're right that early on, you'd have to use lots of melee. Also, this game divides spells from Demon's Souls into two categories now: Sorcery (stuff like Soul Arrow) and Pyromancy (stuff like Firestorm). Sorcery scales with intelligence, byt Pyromancy doesn't stat-scale -- you increase its power by upgrading your catalyst. So a person could pour stat points into ENT and VIT and still have awesome pyromancy, while a mage has to invest points in INT if they want their sorcery to be any good. In other words, you're right that mages aren't as good a build as they were in the original.
I don't know. I think pyromancy is a little over powered. My first char was a Bandit and I was doing pretty well after I got the hang of things. Then just for fun, I rolled a pyromancer. After a few levels I am now just as strong, but also can drop 8 fireballs for critical damage.

How do you guys like the magic system? I read an article today that said there was no mana per say, only a counter as to how many times you can cast. And you can't fill the counter unless you go back to a fire.

If I am understanding that right, that would seem to limit the ability to build a decent mage.
You can level up a stat that allows you remember more spells (Attunement). A dedicated mage would eventually be able to go from bonfire to bonfire with plenty of spells to spare. But you're right that early on, you'd have to use lots of melee. Also, this game divides spells from Demon's Souls into two categories now: Sorcery (stuff like Soul Arrow) and Pyromancy (stuff like Firestorm). Sorcery scales with intelligence, byt Pyromancy doesn't stat-scale -- you increase its power by upgrading your catalyst. So a person could pour stat points into ENT and VIT and still have awesome pyromancy, while a mage has to invest points in INT if they want their sorcery to be any good.

In other words, you're right that mages aren't as good a build as they were in the original.
remind me what a catalyst is in this game.

I don't know. I think pyromancy is a little over powered.
It is. But anybody can use pyromancy, including characters that are mainly geared toward melee. I was talking about builds that put points into INT to level up their sorcery. This game sort of discourages that, in part because pyromancy is so powerful.
Your magic wand that lets you throw spells.

You can level up a stat that allows you remember more spells (Attunement). A dedicated mage would eventually be able to go from bonfire to bonfire with plenty of spells to spare. But you're right that early on, you'd have to use lots of melee. Also, this game divides spells from Demon's Souls into two categories now: Sorcery (stuff like Soul Arrow) and Pyromancy (stuff like Firestorm). Sorcery scales with intelligence, byt Pyromancy doesn't stat-scale -- you increase its power by upgrading your catalyst. So a person could pour stat points into ENT and VIT and still have awesome pyromancy, while a mage has to invest points in INT if they want their sorcery to be any good.

In other words, you're right that mages aren't as good a build as they were in the original.
I don't know. I think pyromancy is a little over powered. My first char was a Bandit and I was doing pretty well after I got the hang of things. Then just for fun, I rolled a pyromancer. After a few levels I am now just as strong, but also can drop 8 fireballs for critical damage.
Did you beat the game?Questions:

In Demon Souls there was levels. I have read that this is more open world but when you guys talk about it, it sounds like the levels have been replaced by areas. Do you need to "beat" an area before you can get to another area? If so it sounds more like levels than an open world.

Are their quests in this game or is it quest less like Demon Souls was?

I don't know. I think pyromancy is a little over powered.
It is. But anybody can use pyromancy, including characters that are mainly geared toward melee. I was talking about builds that put points into INT to level up their sorcery. This game sort of discourages that, in part because pyromancy is so powerful.
Your magic wand that lets you throw spells.
Ahh yes now I remember thanks. Is there any way to build an melee fighter with decent archery skills and Pyro or will the skill trees not really allow that to work affectively?

Questions:In Demon Souls there was levels. I have read that this is more open world but when you guys talk about it, it sounds like the levels have been replaced by areas. Do you need to "beat" an area before you can get to another area? If so it sounds more like levels than an open world.
It's not open world in the way that Fallout or GTA is open world. It's more like a series of more-or-less linear levels that are connected together. The first time you do them, you more or less have to do them in a particular order (e.g. Undead Burgh, then The Depths, then Blighttown, then Demon Ruins), but you'll find shortcuts as you go along that makes it easier to return to various areas in the future. There are some areas that you can enter whenever you want, but they'll be almost impossible to beat until after you've leveled up a bit. There are also some optional areas (like Great Hollow and Valley of Drakes). But yeah, there are quite a few that you have to beat to move on to the next region. Imagine if the levels of Demon's Souls were linked together, like you get done with Valley of Defilement, and then you find a tunnel that takes you to Stonefang, and then halfway through that you find a door that once unlocked takes you to Latria. Dark Souls is like that.
Are their quests in this game or is it quest less like Demon Souls was?
There a few side missions related to the various covenants, but they generally involve collecting things or invading. It's quest-less for the most part.
Is there any way to build an melee fighter with decent archery skills and Pyro or will the skill trees not really allow that to work affectively?
Definitely. I built my character this way (not a lot of emphasis on archery) and now that I'm near the end of my first playthrough, I think this is probably the most efficient way to beat the game. All characters can eventually use pyromancy, but if you know you want to go this route, you might as well pick Pyromancer as your starting class for early access to this. From there, you can bump Strength and/or Dex a little to be able to wield your favorite weapon, and then just focus on Endurance and Vitality. You don't need to invest levels to improve your pyromancy (just upgrade your catalyst for that), so you can have awesome pyromancy skills while focusing your leveling on melee stats. Also, non-scaling elemental weapons (fire and lightning) are way more powerful than they were in Demon's Souls, which means that you don't have to level up a "damage" stat. I'm currently SL 70 give or take, and I've put almost all my points into Vit and End, with just a few in Str and Dex to meet weapon requirements and Attunement to open up more spell slots. I'm murdering almost everything I encounter with a lightning katana. I have pyromancy to fall back on when I need extra firepower, like against bosses. Works great.

Well I spent my free time this weekend trying to beat the smough/ornstein boss combo and figured I would be quitting the game since Battle Field is coming out today. Well last night I gave it one last shot during half time of the game and for whatever reason I was able to beat them rather easily. I only had to drink one estus the entire fight. I was pretty jacked up and figured I was just in the Jordan zone. I may have let a little cheer out and my wife just looked at me and roller her eyes. :nerd:

I am probably 8+ hours in and feel like I'm still in the firt noob zone. :bag:
:goodposting:Although I started over twice since I kept attacking npc's. I have made it as far as the two gargoyles on the tower, but unless I grind for hours, I dont think I can go anywhere else.Btw, I havent been getting any of the drops for beating the wizard, the rhino bull thing and one other I cant think of now. Maybe u have to be human?

I am probably 8+ hours in and feel like I'm still in the firt noob zone. :bag:
:goodposting:Although I started over twice since I kept attacking npc's. I have made it as far as the two gargoyles on the tower, but unless I grind for hours, I dont think I can go anywhere else.Btw, I havent been getting any of the drops for beating the wizard, the rhino bull thing and one other I cant think of now. Maybe u have to be human?
Do you have the drake sword? I got the helm off the rhino and I was not human, the wizard dropped nothing for me.

Yeah, just got the drake sword and it takes things down pretty quick. How much strength do I need to wield it one-handed? I miss my shield.

Also, how do I get more humanity? I keep losing it and am at zero now. :kicksrock:

Yeah, just got the drake sword and it takes things down pretty quick. How much strength do I need to wield it one-handed? I miss my shield.Also, how do I get more humanity? I keep losing it and am at zero now. :kicksrock:
for boss fights i normally go two handed and use rolls to avoid hits. I think you need 14 or 16 str for one handed. As for humanity, you will find it all over and it is a drop so you may get lucky and get some from a mob. I try to save all of mine to make kindle bonfires and then use them to do summons for boss fights if i need the help.

So what makes this one different from other dungeon crawlers? Is it just a well executed one or does it really stand out because of xyz?

So what makes this one different from other dungeon crawlers? Is it just a well executed one or does it really stand out because of xyz?
Pain and lots of it. I never played Demon Souls and (now I wish they had it on the xbox) but it is easily one of my top 5 favorite games of all time.

(Speaking for Demon Souls), Well executed, best melee fighting system I have ever used, and much much more difficult than a typical dungeon crawler.

I also got the Drake sword. I can now kill those black night guys. I cant beat the stone samurai or the bel tower twin gargoyles. Should I just level and keep trying?

If I kindle a fire, does it stay kindled forever? If I move to my next bonfire and kindle that one, will the previous stay kindled?

Users who are viewing this thread