Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
STEADYMOBBIN 22

Dark Souls :Remastered :YOU DIED:

912 posts in this topic

This game is hard. Even though I enjoyed the beginning of it, I got frustrated quickly, and distracted with something else.

I'll probably have to start from the beginning again when I go back to it. Feels like it will take a TON of practice to be able to progress at a reasonable pace. Any suggestions for the most noob friendly class?

I played it legit the first time around so I'm having no qualms watching all the YouTube vids out there with hints/tactics. (Not walkthroughs)

Apparently going pyromancer w/the master key is the most agreed upon class, with most people going high with high dex builds.

I'm about halfway through this little gem:

It's taken me a few hours just to refamiliarize myself with the areas and controls.

That video just reenforces how much I suck at games. It has been a while since I played but I bet it took me over 20 hours to do what he did in 10 minutes. The short cuts in the Catacombs were amazing. Edited by NewlyRetired

Finally got around to this. Not sure it's for me. Way too linear and repetitive. Pretty bummed as I was looking forward to it.

Linear ? You can pretty much go anywhere from the start?

Not really though. You have the appearance of being able to go anywhere. But go the wrong way and you get pwned.

This game is hard. Even though I enjoyed the beginning of it, I got frustrated quickly, and distracted with something else.

I'll probably have to start from the beginning again when I go back to it. Feels like it will take a TON of practice to be able to progress at a reasonable pace. Any suggestions for the most noob friendly class?

I played it legit the first time around so I'm having no qualms watching all the YouTube vids out there with hints/tactics. (Not walkthroughs)

Apparently going pyromancer w/the master key is the most agreed upon class, with most people going high with high dex builds.

It's taken me a few hours just to refamiliarize myself with the areas and controls.

That video just reenforces how much I suck at games. It has been a while since I played but I bet it took me over 20 hours to do what he did in 10 minutes. The short cuts in the Catacombs were amazing.
To be fair he's mastered the game. I've probable put in 5 hours trying to replicate his run and have yet to be able to do it.

That video just reenforces how much I suck at games. It has been a while since I played but I bet it took me over 20 hours to do what he did in 10 minutes. The short cuts in the Catacombs were amazing.
To be fair he's mastered the game. I've probable put in 5 hours trying to replicate his run and have yet to be able to do it.

Not really though. You have the appearance of being able to go anywhere. But go the wrong way and you get pwned.

Dark Souls is not open World but it is not really linear either. It is some strange hybrid. But even in a true Open World game you can easily wander into an area you are not strong enough for.

The distance between saves in this thing is crazy. Not even after a boss? Sheesh.

I've been playing this thing for 3 hours and I'm in the exact same spot I started. :bag:

I just picked this back up.

I'm so lost I may ave to restart.

Loved this game but only made it 3/4 through on my second play through. I knew I was taking it a bit too seriously when I yelled at my wife to quit talking to me when I was fighting a ### #### boss!

But there's no pause!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been plugging away at this for a few hours a week. Funny - I've actually played a few times only because I hadn't played in about a week and I needed to make sure my skills stayed reletivly sharp. :)

I've reached Sen's Fortress. I made it all the way to the top where I could just see the giant (Golem?) who tosses the giant boulders. After peeking my head out I almost got killed by fire so I just ducked back in to a safe spot and like a moron - left my dude there sincey wife called for dinner.

As I'm finishing up dinner I hear the familiar sound of the blacksmiths hammer......Sunova ...... I got invaded while I was AFK. :bag: serves me right.

####### still love this game.

I've been plugging away at this for a few hours a week. Funny - I've actually played a few times only because I hadn't played in about a week and I needed to make sure my skills stayed reletivly sharp. :)

I've reached Sen's Fortress. I made it all the way to the top where I could just see the giant (Golem?) who tosses the giant boulders. After peeking my head out I almost got killed by fire so I just ducked back in to a safe spot and like a moron - left my dude there sincey wife called for dinner.

As I'm finishing up dinner I hear the familiar sound of the blacksmiths hammer......Sunova ...... I got invaded while I was AFK. :bag: serves me right.

####### still love this game.

I am getting Dark Souls and Demon Souls confused in my memory. Can you just play this offline to avoid the invasions? Seem to remember doing that on at least one of those awesome games.

Just started this bad boy today. Only gave it 30 to 40 minutes, stopping just short of the first boss fight. My biggest issue with the game is the lack of a good tutorial. Yes, it told me how to step back, etc. But it didn't tell me how to equip the axe and shield, or how to actually use a Eustus Flask. I only died once. Had I known how to use the flask, I would not have died at all. So I had to leave the game and hit the web. That said, even though I know I am only playing a little bit of the intro, I must say I do like it. A nice change of pace after so much LOU and Lara Croft type games.

Just started this bad boy today. Only gave it 30 to 40 minutes, stopping just short of the first boss fight. My biggest issue with the game is the lack of a good tutorial. Yes, it told me how to step back, etc. But it didn't tell me how to equip the axe and shield, or how to actually use a Eustus Flask. I only died once. Had I known how to use the flask, I would not have died at all. So I had to leave the game and hit the web. That said, even though I know I am only playing a little bit of the intro, I must say I do like it. A nice change of pace after so much LOU and Lara Croft type games.

Keep the wikia handy. You will refer to it a ton while you are playing. The game almost revels in how little info it gives. Wait until you try and figure out where to go in the early game :). Walk 10 seconds in the wrong direction and you will know it quickly.

Keep the wikia handy. You will refer to it a ton while you are playing. The game almost revels in how little info it gives. Wait until you try and figure out where to go in the early game :). Walk 10 seconds in the wrong direction and you will know it quickly.

Bookmarked. But when do I get to start firing off some fireballs??? I picked a pyro. I want to ignite some ####!!!

Bookmarked. But when do I get to start firing off some fireballs??? I picked a pyro. I want to ignite some ####!!!
You have to equip that fireball/hand thing like you would a sword.

There are catalysts and spells. Catalysts are essentially magic wands which need to be equipped like a sword would.

Your magic gets refreshed at the campfire .

IIRC. Sorcery is INT

I think pyro - you just level up the catalyst.

After reading how a pyromancer was overpowered I never played a magic caster so I'm sure others will add more hints.

ETA - In an attempt to not sound like a cocky ###- it would only be overpowered to a seasoned veteran and I wish I went the caster rout my first play through.

Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22

It has been a long time since I played but if memory serves, you can use Fireball at the start with a Pyromancer as you get the spell automatically.

See if this youtube video helps. It explains how to equip and use spells.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-69NFlvmC78

Yep, that was it. Had to equip the pimp flame hand. Once again, would have been nice had the tutorial clued you in. I went back and, with use of the spell, was able to clear out the enemies in about three seconds flat. I guess the danger of it is, if I rely on it, I could see my melee skills never developing. So maybe it was good I didn't realize how to use it initially. It forced me to block and use my axe to dispatch those enemies. So I can use my melee weapon to get to the boss battle and then fireball his butt.

So this isn't a game I can play 1 hour or so at a time?

I played 33 minutes according to my save game. Not sure how far it is between bonfires as you move through the game though. But you can leave at any time I believe. You just may have to restart a level when you come back.

So if I don't log in to PSN, can I become human or whatever without having to worry about being invaded? Or can you not do that? Do I want to become human, or just stay as an undead? I do NOT want to spend ANY time invading or being invaded.

So if I don't log in to PSN, can I become human or whatever without having to worry about being invaded? Or can you not do that? Do I want to become human, or just stay as an undead? I do NOT want to spend ANY time invading or being invaded.

Just play offline (don't sign in). Then there is no way to invade or be invaded. There are other features that you lose by doing this (blood stains, messages etc).

I played the vast majority of the game offline if memory serves.

Edited by NewlyRetired

So this isn't a game I can play 1 hour or so at a time?

You can do that. Once you know what you're doing on NG+, you can zoom through a surprisingly large chunk of the game in 1 hour increments. Your first time through, though, you may need to be content with playing for an hour and not making any actual progress if you're struggling to reach the next bonfire. The thing about this franchise though is that each area feels very hard as you're working your way through it, but once you've gotten the hang of where each enemy is and what their combat patterns are like, you can breeze that that same area on further attempts. Eventually you'll stroll right through it and wonder why you ever found it hard in the first place.

I'd also add that I often play an hour at a time but I'm at a pretty tough area so I play for a bit and give the current boss a few tries before packing it in.

Yes you can only play an hour a day but you want to string the days together.

Just killed the first boss when I was able to string 10 minutes together to play. So yea, an hour is more than long enough for a session. Though I imagine bonfires get less frequent as you go.

Just killed the first boss when I was able to string 10 minutes together to play. So yea, an hour is more than long enough for a session. Though I imagine bonfires get less frequent as you go.

Not really, a few of them just get harder to find.

I am almost done with The Last of Us on my first play through. Once I am done I am popping this puppy in. I am really looking forward to this game.

I'm at the beach all week and I'm starting to crave some playtime.

Before I left I played another character and I think he's going to be done caster but I haven't decided yet. Fun to just rip and run through the games early areas now that I know them like the back of my hand.

Have spent the whole holiday weekend so far prepping my house for sale. Sitting here today with two painters painting walls and a handyman replacing the wood railing on the patio. My poor PS3 hasn't even been powered since the 10 minute session where I killed the first boss. I'm afraid by the time I get back to the game, I may end up needing to restart just to remember WTF I was doing. I already forgot how about 99% of the controls work. I guess maybe a "Dark Souls PS3 controls" Google search might help.

I simply cannot beat Smough & Ornstein. I give up. Mercy.

I came within 2 hits or beating them the first time and it really hasn't been close since. I'm all out of humanity. I've tried summoning other players but we just get invaded each time. I tried offline not summoning the npc dude. I've tried not summoning him and still no cigar.

I think I'm going to either farm this area for awhile fighting the two huge knights or run back to fire link with my tail tucked between my legs.

I came within 2 hits or beating them the first time and it really hasn't been close since. I'm all out of humanity. I've tried summoning other players but we just get invaded each time. I tried offline not summoning the npc dude. I've tried not summoning him and still no cigar.

I think I'm going to either farm this area for awhile fighting the two huge knights or run back to fire link with my tail tucked between my legs.

They took me forever too until I finally got the hang of constantly running backwards in a circle and being patient.

They took me forever too until I finally got the hang of constantly running backwards in a circle and being patient.

:goodposting:

To the extent that a 40 year old guy has any business being "proud" of a video game accomplishment, I'm proud of the fact that I soloed these guys in NG+ killing Smough first. It took a bunch of tries and mega-Ornstein is a huge PITA, but it was epic when I finally got that guy down.

:goodposting:

To the extent that a 40 year old guy has any business being "proud" of a video game accomplishment, I'm proud of the fact that I soloed these guys in NG+ killing Smough first. It took a bunch of tries and mega-Ornstein is a huge PITA, but it was epic when I finally got that guy down.

I soloed them as well after a silly amount of deaths. I forget who is who but I killed the skinny one first. I am not sure if I was proud or relieved :) Edited by NewlyRetired

They get added health if you summon.

What level were you guys? I'm level 59 but I'm pretty gimped as this was my first build and I started as a dex build turned into a heavy armor build who carries a black knight sword .

I'm assuming I can leave and come back? It's been a few weeks with vacation thrown in but I thought I remember getting here wasn't a normal rout. ? Yes , no?

I'm going to try and solo them a few times. I wrecked them the first time and I was just solo and balls to the wall.

Finally got a chance to play a bit today! Has been like a week. Went to the next area after the intro. Tried to fight the skeletons in the little cemetary area and got my butt handed to me numerous times. Finally gave up and went the other way. Died a few times to fire guys until I sort of figured it out. Now I am doing ok. Got my first five or six level ups. Found the stairs down. Saved there as I didn't have any more time. But after getting through the intro area only dying once, this second area reminded me just how brutal this game can be. And just how bad I am at it!

Finally got a chance to play a bit today! Has been like a week. Went to the next area after the intro. Tried to fight the skeletons in the little cemetary area and got my butt handed to me numerous times. Finally gave up and went the other way. Died a few times to fire guys until I sort of figured it out. Now I am doing ok. Got my first five or six level ups. Found the stairs down. Saved there as I didn't have any more time. But after getting through the intro area only dying once, this second area reminded me just how brutal this game can be. And just how bad I am at it!

Don't feel too bad. Almost every one walks into the cemetery area early in the game, sees the skeletons and thinks, hey these are going to be easy, and then gets slaughtered, only to then realize "I guess this is the wrong direction" :)

Don't feel too bad. Almost every one walks into the cemetery area early in the game, sees the skeletons and thinks, hey these are going to be easy, and then gets slaughtered, only to then realize "I guess this is the wrong direction" :)

Oh, good. I thought everyone would be saying "Oh yea, took those dudes out no problem." Now I just have to wait another week to see if I can find an hour to play.

Yeah, cemetery is rough. I don't usually tackle those guys until I am at least level 20 or so. Definitely always suicide run in to get the claymore and winged spear first thing every game, though. :)

Yeah, cemetery is rough. I don't usually tackle those guys until I am at least level 20 or so. Definitely always suicide run in to get the claymore and winged spear first thing every game, though. :)

What? Feel free to go in to detail. I went after what I thought was a sword on a suicide run in there. Turns out it was just the sword the skeleton was going to use to kick my ###.

What? Feel free to go in to detail. I went after what I thought was a sword on a suicide run in there. Turns out it was just the sword the skeleton was going to use to kick my ###.

In the cemetery there is a shield, the Claymore and the Zweihander.

All three are decent. I used the Claymore for a bit.

There's also a winged spear in the cemetery. I think the big guy is guarding it, but you should be able to grab it before he and his buddies kill you.