What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jahvid Best Suffers Concussion (1 Viewer)

JD8p

Footballguy
You could tell something was not right with the way he reacted on that last screen pass, unfortunately he got 4 more carries after that.

No word on the severity, though based upon his re-entry into the game, and the fact that he was standing on the sideline for the entire game (not in the locker room or hunched over on the bench) I would tend to think it isn't too bad.

That said, when it comes to repeat concussions you have to have concerns.

Thoughts? Insight?

The backup situation here is clear as mud. Is it really Morris again this year? Williams? Harrison? As unexciting as it sounds, I think it is Morris due to knowing the offense and his versatility.

Sucks. He was having a good season so far too...injury free, yards from scrimmage have been nice. solid flex player. Let's hope it's not severe And he is back on the field soon.

this explains why the hell Morris was in at the end of the game....great...I'd grab Morris if you were looking for the back up.

:blackdot:

WOW...fantasy footballers are such negative people it's not even funny. wait until we hear more info before abandoning ship. relax people.

WOW...fantasy footballers are such negative people it's not even funny. wait until we hear more info before abandoning ship. relax people.
2 concussions in a season :thumbdown:
While concussions are a BAD thing, it is not the end of the world. DJAX has had multiple concussions but it is much less talked about than Collie or Best. Best gets way too much coverage on this. It is what it is. If he gets better, he will be out there playing again.

Being a Lion homer this was my biggest fear about Best.

I traded him last week at his peak. Good my for my team ,but horrible news for the Lions.

2 concussions in a season :thumbdown:
While concussions are a BAD thing, it is not the end of the world. DJAX has had multiple concussions but it is much less talked about than Collie or Best. Best gets way too much coverage on this. It is what it is. If he gets better, he will be out there playing again.
It's just that Best seems very prone to them. He may come back as good as ever, but it's tough to feel comfortable having this guy on your roster.

You know...there is the chance that it is very minor and they end up sitting him for a week or two which would roll into their bye, and it has the positive effect of preserving him for the stretch run. While it may be an optimistic point of view, it isn’t totally inconceivable.

Or perhaps I am being nuts right now.

If this results in multiple missed games I think Harrison is the play. Most similar skill set and better potential to provide a similar game plan for the lions. Morris is a better straight line runner and while he does catch fairly well, Harrison is more like Best. I think Morris/Williams would complement Harrison like they do now with Best.

The NFL has protocols for things like this. Javid Best will need to pass concussion tests to determine his availability for week 7. Michael Vick suffered a concussion in the game vs Atlanta and he came back the following week after passing his test.

if he sustained a concussion why was he back on the field 4 plays after

horrible doctors?

i ddint see the game so i dont know how severe it looked

My team is falling apart. First Felix and now Best. I'm riding Jackie Battle for better or for worse!

Last edited by a moderator:
if he sustained a concussion why was he back on the field 4 plays afterhorrible doctors?i ddint see the game so i dont know how severe it looked
Concussions vary with degree and severity, and aren't always immediately known.I'd be concerned about Best, especially in Dynasty.

If this results in multiple missed games I think Harrison is the play. Most similar skill set and better potential to provide a similar game plan for the lions. Morris is a better straight line runner and while he does catch fairly well, Harrison is more like Best. I think Morris/Williams would complement Harrison like they do now with Best.
I like Harrison's potential (I have for a while) but I disagree simply because I don't think the Lions feel the same way. He's been inactive for the past 3 games. Morris has most of the touches in spelling Best and came in for him when he left the game in the 4Q. Harrison may be worth a speculative add in deep leagues, but he's behind Morris and Williams on the depth chart. I just can't see them bumping a guy from inactive to starter. The Lions feel way more comfortable with Morris than they do Harrison.

I like Harrison's potential (I have for a while) but I disagree simply because I don't think the Lions feel the same way. He's been inactive for the past 3 games. Morris has most of the touches in spelling Best and came in for him when he left the game in the 4Q. Harrison may be worth a speculative add in deep leagues, but he's behind Morris and Williams on the depth chart. I just can't see them bumping a guy from inactive to starter. The Lions feel way more comfortable with Morris than they do Harrison.
Pretty similar to how I feel. Harrison is significantly better than Morris and Williams, but just doesn't have the trust of the HC. I do believe that part of the reason for his Inactive status has to do with his similar skill-set to Best-- I don't believe he is actually behind Williams in the "pecking order".

Maurice Morris or Demarco Murray get to try to play hero in a week that can determine if my team has a pulse or not. Fantastic. I have had Harrison stashed for a while, but I think Morris is the better play. I agree Harrison is better (he's performed when given the chance many times, as a starter) but this is probably a 65-35 split of Morris and Keilaind, with Harrison being a change of pace.

if he sustained a concussion why was he back on the field 4 plays afterhorrible doctors?i ddint see the game so i dont know how severe it looked
Regardless of the severity it makes no sense. With how much the NFL is trying to protect their image by being strict with concussions, I'm guessing someone on the coaching or training staff will be reprimanded and should be. There's no reason to let a player get back on the field with any type of concussion.

Regardless of the severity it makes no sense. With how much the NFL is trying to protect their image by being strict with concussions, I'm guessing someone on the coaching or training staff will be reprimanded and should be. There's no reason to let a player get back on the field with any type of concussion.
I'm not that familiar with the sideline protocol to catch concussions but logically, the player needs to play a part in it too. I would be shocked if there still weren't way more concussions happening than are actually documented...

The NFL players need some guys like Best and Vick to start a movement for better helmets.
Helmets won't make much of a difference. Look at Manningham's concussion, he got it diving without hitting his head I believe. The brain is surrounded by cerebrospinal fluid, so any movement can bounce the brain against the skull, not just direct impacts like helmet to helmet hits.

The NFL players need some guys like Best and Vick to start a movement for better helmets.
Austin collie has such a helmet. It was designed by the same guy that put in the work for NASCAR and from what I heard when they interviewed him, he knows what he is doing. In a collision sport, you probably can't eliminate these things but when I see a guy take a car into a wall at 200+ and jump out unharmed (relatively), I have to think there is hope to borrow from this technology.I don't follow Nascar so someone can shoot a hole in me if I'm wrong, but it seems like every race weekend, there are at least a handful of cars involved in crashes and I can't think of the last time I ever saw a report that a driver was questionable due to a concussion.

Seems very odd he would come back into the game after getting the concussion, but my guess is that he didn't say anything about it to the trainers.

I desperately need him to play this week because of byes, but I highly doubt he plays.

Seems very odd he would come back into the game after getting the concussion, but my guess is that he didn't say anything about it to the trainers.I desperately need him to play this week because of byes, but I highly doubt he plays.
I hope he plays by week 10... Bye in week9 if they shut him down against atl,den, then have a bye 9 hope he is ready to go week 10. This is disappointing news for a charles owner also. :( I really thought Best was a top 5-7 talent in ppr. This really sucks.

This popped up at Rotoworld forums. And I do expect all the over reaction and panic to follow after you click on this twitter feed:https://twitter.com/#!/nfldraftupdate/status/126003891853733888
I don't own Best but regardless, that is an absurd thing to say without a source.

This popped up at Rotoworld forums. And I do expect all the over reaction and panic to follow after you click on this twitter feed:https://twitter.com/#!/nfldraftupdate/status/126003891853733888
Since when does a concussion become season ending?

he's just stating what the worst case fear is
Saying "he is believed to be" is a little more definitive than "he could be" though I'm sure he meant the latter.
you're right, I was looking at an earlier tweet. Who is this Dion Caputi? Can't Google anything on him besides his Twitter account.

Helmets won't make much of a difference. Look at Manningham's concussion, he got it diving without hitting his head I believe. The brain is surrounded by cerebrospinal fluid, so any movement can bounce the brain against the skull, not just direct impacts like helmet to helmet hits.
Helmets can make some difference. TMQ has been espousing the special concussion-reducing helmets for years. They won't stop every incident, they're not concussion-preventing or concussion-proof, but they would certainly help decrease the number we're seeing overall.I just hate that the NFL apparently wants to wait until someone actually experiences brain damage or death on the field before taking actions toward better player safety.

Helmets can make some difference. TMQ has been espousing the special concussion-reducing helmets for years. They won't stop every incident, they're not concussion-preventing or concussion-proof, but they would certainly help decrease the number we're seeing overall.I just hate that the NFL apparently wants to wait until someone actually experiences brain damage or death on the field before taking actions toward better player safety.
HGH testing could also help the concussion problem. Obviously, when people are as big and fast as they are in the NFL there's no way to completely mitigate the problem but getting hit by someone using HGH can't help the cause.

Users who are viewing this thread