What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McClure's BBQ (2 Viewers)

Fries aren't really even on my radar y'all....I am not looking to open with fryers, unless the capital to open a bigger place falls in line. If that happens, I will most certainly have Fried Chicken occasionally (my first love of cooking) and thin cut red onion rings...so fries would probably be considered then too. And fried okra so good you will slap my mother. :banned:
i forgot to mention...those fries would be available with brown gravy. or chili. I wouldn't want them all naked out there.

I need to get a tow-able pit ASAP. Has anybody bought one in the last few years or have solid recommendations. I've narrowed in on a few on the innerwebs, but just want some FFA experience.

NEEDED:

I really want an upright only smoker (vertical). Or a horizontal with reverse flow design.

It needs to be able to hold about 20 - 30 pork butts, and it must be insulated. I don't need any bells & whistles...just a pit on a trailer.

Source of peach wood. I am hooked. I'll also take info if you have it on hickory or pecan.

And a sedative. Thanks in advance on this one.

:banned:

I need to get a tow-able pit ASAP. Has anybody bought one in the last few years or have solid recommendations. I've narrowed in on a few on the innerwebs, but just want some FFA experience.NEEDED:I really want an upright only smoker (vertical). Or a horizontal with reverse flow design.It needs to be able to hold about 20 - 30 pork butts, and it must be insulated. I don't need any bells & whistles...just a pit on a trailer.Source of peach wood. I am hooked. I'll also take info if you have it on hickory or pecan.And a sedative. Thanks in advance on this one. :banned:
A lot of people on BBQ PITMASTERS on TLC use this guy for their pits. :shrug:http://www.jambopits.com/index.html

I need to get a tow-able pit ASAP. Has anybody bought one in the last few years or have solid recommendations. I've narrowed in on a few on the innerwebs, but just want some FFA experience.NEEDED:I really want an upright only smoker (vertical). Or a horizontal with reverse flow design.It needs to be able to hold about 20 - 30 pork butts, and it must be insulated. I don't need any bells & whistles...just a pit on a trailer.Source of peach wood. I am hooked. I'll also take info if you have it on hickory or pecan.And a sedative. Thanks in advance on this one. :banned:
My wife is in the BBQ business (national chain) and they swear by Southern Pride for their smokers both mobile and in-house.

I need to get a tow-able pit ASAP. Has anybody bought one in the last few years or have solid recommendations. I've narrowed in on a few on the innerwebs, but just want some FFA experience.

NEEDED:

I really want an upright only smoker (vertical). Or a horizontal with reverse flow design.

It needs to be able to hold about 20 - 30 pork butts, and it must be insulated. I don't need any bells & whistles...just a pit on a trailer.

Source of peach wood. I am hooked. I'll also take info if you have it on hickory or pecan.

Hey GB,

You know I went through all this in building mine. Of the towable pits out there, I think http://langbbqsmokers.com/ hits the sweet spot between price and quality. Jambo and Klose are excellent but really expensive. Plus, if I ever had to do a horizontal pit, I would want the reverse flow and Lang has been pushing that for a while.

J

My wife is in the BBQ business (national chain) and they swear by Southern Pride for their smokers both mobile and in-house.
I know they are the best gas smokers around. My uncle owns a huge one. I am just partial to stick burners. I like fire.

NEEDED:

Hey GB,

You know I went through all this in building mine. Of the towable pits out there, I think http://langbbqsmokers.com/ hits the sweet spot between price and quality. Jambo and Klose are excellent but really expensive. Plus, if I ever had to do a horizontal pit, I would want the reverse flow and Lang has been pushing that for a while.

J
Yall could just build another one...that doesnt require an semi to pull it :) I'm leaning hard towards this one. :banned:

Quick look on Craigslist...no idea if this is any good or not:http://neworleans.craigslist.org/for/2615275601.html

NEEDED:

Hey GB,

J
Yall could just build another one...that doesnt require an semi to pull it :) I'm leaning hard towards this one. :banned:
Lang's are awesome. A friend of a friend has one. He uses it mostly for home use, but some weekends he sets up on a corner just outside Athens and sells BBQ to people going to UGA games. He'll use it for church and other functions occasionally as well and swears by it.

Quick look on Craigslist...no idea if this is any good or not:http://neworleans.craigslist.org/for/2615275601.html
One thing about a Lang (or another brand that has built lots of the same model) - there is a HUGE benefit to having built a bunch of something in that you learn the trouble spots. A huge number of pits are one time custom deals. With really weird and sometimes bad tendencies. Super hot spots, smoke won't draw etc. When you've built 200 of one, you tweak the design and work out the kinks.Lang has done this. You can be pretty sure they've worked out the trouble spots.This was my biggest worry with the pit I built as I had nothing to go on. I got lucky and didn't make any significant mistakes in design. But you don't know that for a custom pit you find used. At the very least, you'd want to be able to cook something quick on a pit like that to see how it worked.But if it were me and I had the option, I'd go with a design that I knew was proven.J

I know they are the best gas smokers around. My uncle owns a huge one. I am just partial to stick burners. I like fire.
:hifive:J

One thing about a Lang (or another brand that has built lots of the same model) - there is a HUGE benefit to having built a bunch of something in that you learn the trouble spots. A huge number of pits are one time custom deals. With really weird and sometimes bad tendencies. Super hot spots, smoke won't draw etc. When you've built 200 of one, you tweak the design and work out the kinks.Lang has done this. You can be pretty sure they've worked out the trouble spots.This was my biggest worry with the pit I built as I had nothing to go on. I got lucky and didn't make any significant mistakes in design. But you don't know that for a custom pit you find used. At the very least, you'd want to be able to cook something quick on a pit like that to see how it worked.But if it were me and I had the option, I'd go with a design that I knew was proven.J
:goodposting: I believe that's all they do and they do it well.

I am heading up to Pearl river tomorrow to take a look at it. Sounds like I'm going to need to buy a truck too. :banned:
:thumbup:Sounds like it's got a heavy firebox. 1/2" steel is as heavy as you could go there without getting into an insulation thing. Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like the firebox is big enough in relation to the cooking area. That's a common mistake to make in making the firebox too small - and it's tough as there is no way to fix it.If your're serious about buying it, I'd ask the guy to fire it up and have it hot when you get there. Bring 3 or 4 cheap oven thermometers with you and set one on the grate nearest the firebox, one at the end of the horizontal cooking grate at the other end, and one at the upper and lower grates of the vertical firebox. You want to get an idea of how the heat distributes through the pit.Not to say it has to be even. An offset like that without the reverse flow is likley going to be a LOT hotter near the firebox than in other parts. That isn't necessarily bad but it does limit you. It can also help for crisping chicken skin or finishing ribs or whatever. But you want to know how the heat works in this pit and there really isn't any way to do it than to fire it up. Let us know how it goes.J

And remember Tipsy, It's all about cooking space area.

Take your measurements on this and then compare to what the cost is for an equivalent measurement on the Lang or something new. Assuming the heat flows through right, I'd count the vertical space as equal to the horizontal space.

The thing I'd worry about is majorly uneven distribution. In other words if you heat the middle of the horizontal chamber to 275 and the bottom of the vertical is only 195, that's going to be a problem as you won't really be able cook at 195. You see what I'm saying?

Heat is a little mysterious as it flows through. It doesn't always seem as predictable as you'd think. So the only real way to know is to fire it up.

I wouldn't worry too much about it being used. Although I wouldn't add any benefit to it being "seasoned" either. It is what it is.

As I said above, the big danger in a one time custom gig is the guy making mistakes that he'll fix on his "next pit". Where the Lang guys have already dialed it in. You're going to be attached at the hip with this thing. You want to get this one decision as right as you possibly can.

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Some great advice Joe. He did fire it up for me this morning before I got there. It has some temp control issues and is way to big for what I really need.

I think the Lang 84" is the one I am going to go with.

It is also well under the weight limit for my vehicle and I'm pretty sure I'd need a one ton truck for the other.

Once again, the FFA is proving its weight in gold. I would have settled for an inferior smoker out of impatience, but you guys always come through.

Some great advice Joe. He did fire it up for me this morning before I got there. It has some temp control issues and is way to big for what I really need.

It is also well under the weight limit for my vehicle and I'm pretty sure I'd need a one ton truck for the other.

Once again, the FFA is proving its weight in gold. I would have settled for an inferior smoker out of impatience, but you guys always come through.

Good luck, tipsy. Like someone said above, I wish I had the gonads to do this. I tried once with a window supply/installation business and flamed out in about a year. Something different about food, though.

Be sure to clarify towing weight and tongue weight. You can probably tow more than you think with the proper hitch.

The Lang 84"

It is done. I am either heading over next week to pick it up, or getting my entire schedule cleared for the next 3 days and leaving in an hour...

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I have wondered something about BBQ places.

I smoke the usual items (Ribs, pork, chicken) on my Weber Kettle or electric smoker, and get good results. Reheating ribs and pork for the next day usually results in equally good food, although I have always thought reheated chicken has a different taste.

My question is, what do BBQ places do to have their BBQ ready on demand. All of these items obviously take several hours to cook, so they can not be made when ordered. Do they pre-make everything then heat to order? If so, what method of reheating is best? Do they just have items ready at different times to come of the smoker throughout the day? Just curious, as it may also help me when I host large BBQ parties at the house as well.

Thanks

Testing out of the house tonight:

Wagyu (Kobe) Beef Brisket

Berkshire Pork Butts

Springer Mountain Chicken

4 Cheese & Macaroni

Pork & Pork & Pork & Beans

Hoppin' John

Spicy Sweet Slaw

and unveiling my main sauces: Western NC Sauce, KC sauce, Memphis Sauce, Alabama White Sauce, SC Mustard Sauce.

Dinner is @ 6 :banned:

Testing out of the house tonight: Wagyu (Kobe) Beef BrisketBerkshire Pork ButtsSpringer Mountain Chicken4 Cheese & MacaroniPork & Pork & Pork & BeansHoppin' JohnSpicy Sweet Slawand unveiling my main sauces: Western NC Sauce, KC sauce, Memphis Sauce, Alabama White Sauce, SC Mustard Sauce.Dinner is @ 6 :banned:
Address please......

Berkshire Pork Butts

4 Cheese & Macaroni

Hoppin' John

Spicy Sweet Slaw

and unveiling my main sauces: Western NC Sauce, KC sauce, Memphis Sauce, Alabama White Sauce, SC Mustard Sauce.

noooooo dont waste your time

Berkshire Pork Butts

4 Cheese & Macaroni

Hoppin' John

Spicy Sweet Slaw

Exactly, eastern NC sauce is way better. :boxing:

Berkshire Pork Butts

4 Cheese & Macaroni

Hoppin' John

Spicy Sweet Slaw

Exactly, eastern NC sauce is way better. :boxing:
Pfft!

i will say the western nc sauce is nothing but vinegar & hot stuff. It is the least thrilling of the sauces so far, but it does have its place on a PP sammy.

i havent worked on an eastern nc sauce....anybody got a recipe since y'all seem so high on it?
Not a fan of vinegar-based sauce, but this is a good compromise:1.5 cups ketchup3/4 cup brown sugar1/2 cup applesauce1 tablespoon onion salt1/4 cup vinegar1 tablespoon mustard1/2 teaspoon garlic powder1/2 teaspoon paprika1 teaspoon black pepper.Makes a "bottle's worth" of sauce. I puree my own apples (Fuji!) instead of packaged applesauce.

Lessons learned from cooking the top grade stuff: They cook much faster because of the higher fat content. The fat on that brisket cooked it at relative warp speed and I ended up turning it into the tastiest pot roast you have ever spent 80 bucks on. :wall:

Butts were great, but just not worth it, especially the added fat cleanup...goodness.

Chickens off the hook. I hate to say it, but the chicken is my best animal so far.

Cole Slaw ready. Beans need another trial run, but for from scratch they are awesome. It sucks that part of me knows I like the canned beans made better method, but I am not going to take short cuts...:EGO:

I bombed making Dante's spoon bread into jalapeno & fresh corn bread....it didn't cook enough. :bag: (i figured it was done based on looks alone...I have served one to every table for a decade after all. :loco: )

One more trial run next week...then its opening night on the 15th!!!

Lessons learned from cooking the top grade stuff: They cook much faster because of the higher fat content. The fat on that brisket cooked it at relative warp speed and I ended up turning it into the tastiest pot roast you have ever spent 80 bucks on. :wall:

Butts were great, but just not worth it, especially the added fat cleanup...goodness.

Chickens off the hook. I hate to say it, but the chicken is my best animal so far.

Cole Slaw ready. Beans need another trial run, but for from scratch they are awesome. It sucks that part of me knows I like the canned beans made better method, but I am not going to take short cuts...:EGO:

I bombed making Dante's spoon bread into jalapeno & fresh corn bread....it didn't cook enough. :bag: (i figured it was done based on looks alone...I have served one to every table for a decade after all. :loco: )

:thumbup: You know me in that I'm as all about doing it the old (harder) way as much as anyone. But I would not bat an eye at starting my beans with a base of canned beans. Not for one second.

Making these kind of decisions can be a slippery slope. Do you have to grind your own corn for corn meal? Then if you do that, do you grow your own corn? It can never stop.

Everyone has to get their own "line" for sure.

J

Lessons learned from cooking the top grade stuff: They cook much faster because of the higher fat content. The fat on that brisket cooked it at relative warp speed and I ended up turning it into the tastiest pot roast you have ever spent 80 bucks on. :wall: Butts were great, but just not worth it, especially the added fat cleanup...goodness.Chickens off the hook. I hate to say it, but the chicken is my best animal so far.Cole Slaw ready. Beans need another trial run, but for from scratch they are awesome. It sucks that part of me knows I like the canned beans made better method, but I am not going to take short cuts...:EGO: I bombed making Dante's spoon bread into jalapeno & fresh corn bread....it didn't cook enough. :bag: (i figured it was done based on looks alone...I have served one to every table for a decade after all. :loco: )One more trial run next week...then its opening night on the 15th!!!
If I may be so presumptuous. Since you have a supplier for Wagyu beef...why not go with Smoked Kobe Beef Ribs. I'm pretty familiar with Wagyu as most seems to come from Idaho...and there was a BBQ place here that used to serve KBR as a regular item. If I've had Kobe ribs 1x I've had them 100x...they are that stunningly good. It was a must serve meal for people visiting from out of state. Anyways just a thought.Also I'd like to make the spoon bread and saw the recipe from the FBG food blog...what sized pan does that cook in?Good luck with your new endeavor.

Lessons learned from cooking the top grade stuff: They cook much faster because of the higher fat content. The fat on that brisket cooked it at relative warp speed and I ended up turning it into the tastiest pot roast you have ever spent 80 bucks on. :wall: Butts were great, but just not worth it, especially the added fat cleanup...goodness.Chickens off the hook. I hate to say it, but the chicken is my best animal so far.Cole Slaw ready. Beans need another trial run, but for from scratch they are awesome. It sucks that part of me knows I like the canned beans made better method, but I am not going to take short cuts...:EGO: I bombed making Dante's spoon bread into jalapeno & fresh corn bread....it didn't cook enough. :bag: (i figured it was done based on looks alone...I have served one to every table for a decade after all. :loco: )One more trial run next week...then its opening night on the 15th!!!
Glad I didn't make it over then ;)What are you doing with the chickens?

'Joe Bryant said:
'tipsy mcstagger said:

:thumbup: You know me in that I'm as all about doing it the old (harder) way as much as anyone. But I would not bat an eye at starting my beans with a base of canned beans. Not for one second.

Making these kind of decisions can be a slippery slope. Do you have to grind your own corn for corn meal? Then if you do that, do you grow your own corn? It can never stop.

Everyone has to get their own "line" for sure.

J
The beauty of doing this pop up....i can send both out for a while & let the people decide. I'll be chatting w everyone, and I will have a poll set up on my website for fan voting. It could be a great marketing shtick.

'Tiger Fan said:
The beef is going in Judge Smails Chili tomorrow for kicks.The chicken....well..we ate them? :rolleyes: Or are you referring to the cooking? Brine. Season well. Smoke slow & low for about 3-4 hours w a little drip pan & some apple juice after an hour or so.

'siffoin said:
If I may be so presumptuous. Since you have a supplier for Wagyu beef...why not go with Smoked Kobe Beef Ribs. I'm pretty familiar with Wagyu as most seems to come from Idaho...and there was a BBQ place here that used to serve KBR as a regular item. If I've had Kobe ribs 1x I've had them 100x...they are that stunningly good. It was a must serve meal for people visiting from out of state. Anyways just a thought.Also I'd like to make the spoon bread and saw the recipe from the FBG food blog...what sized pan does that cook in?Good luck with your new endeavor.
Not presumptuous at all. I am putting it all out here for y'alls feedback.And I will try the ribs eventually. As I will some high grade :insertfavoriteanimals: here. Lamb, Venison, Turkey, etc...I'm going to smoke everything from time to time. :banned:Edited for : the spoon bread normally cooking in a 3 inch diameter cast iron skillet (tiny). Like the size of a really large spoon or ladle (its origins)

I have wanted to open a food truck 'restaurant' for the last few years. I'm closely following this, tipsy. I really would love to pick your brain (and others) down-the-road and see how viable that idea is (food truck restaurant, not a BBQ restaurant) up here in Denver.

Good luck!

'Tiger Fan said:
The beef is going in Judge Smails Chili tomorrow for kicks.The chicken....well..we ate them? :rolleyes: Or are you referring to the cooking? Brine. Season well. Smoke slow & low for about 3-4 hours w a little drip pan & some apple juice after an hour or so.
Nice...contemplating doing some chili for the lsu game on saturday.Damn that chiken sounds great. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread