Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
tipsy mcstagger

McClure's BBQ:. Help me feed medical crews please!!!

After doing it for this long, do you still have a passion for BBQ, or just for cooking in general?

On 1/4/2020 at 8:44 AM, Tiger Fan said:

After doing it for this long, do you still have a passion for BBQ, or just for cooking in general?

absolutely.   just not 7 days a week with no beverage sales....takes the wind right out of the sails when all you do is spiral downward.   Again though...no debt and no problem...but still a less than attractive margin for the efforts.   If I "found" the necessary money, I would have fought much harder to keep the bbq a lot more than one day.   Maybe that happens and I do bbq 4 days a week and other stuff on the slow days (m-w)?    We will see.

Ultimately though....Another brick & mortar place with total control.   Being in someone elses space is a bit frustrating at times.   This place rocks...but I don't control my own fate really.   And again....Iced tea sales.  Or any drink for that matter.   It is the only way to make bbq worth the effort.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, tipsy mcstagger said:

Ultimately though....Another brick & mortar place with total control.   Being in someone elses space is a bit frustrating at times.   This place rocks...but I don't control my own fate really.   And again....Iced tea sales.  Or any drink for that matter.   It is the only way to make bbq worth the effort.  

Always rooting for you, and here's to finding a more sustainable endeavor that gives you everything you are looking for. 

20 hours ago, tipsy mcstagger said:

Ultimately though....Another brick & mortar place with total control

Drool. I'd stop by.

(Although probably too infrequently to make a financial difference (mainly due to geography)).

On 1/6/2020 at 8:02 AM, tipsy mcstagger said:

Out of curiosity, what’s your estimate on how much dough it would take to get your own place, with liquor license? Are you talking a couple hundred grand? A mil? I assume you have a lot of the equipment already. 

On 1/19/2020 at 9:23 PM, kutta said:

Out of curiosity, what’s your estimate on how much dough it would take to get your own place, with liquor license? Are you talking a couple hundred grand? A mil? I assume you have a lot of the equipment already. 

Difficult to answer without size of space determined...  Also I have not very versed in construction costs and whatnot but equipment wise it would be well under 100

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Wasn't there discussion years back of taking investors from the FFA? Don't remember how prohibitive that would be but might still be interest.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

Wasn't there discussion years back of taking investors from the FFA? Don't remember how prohibitive that would be but might still be interest.

that would be funny.   a message board funded restaurant.  

• Like 2
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, tipsy mcstagger said:

Basically just a kickstarter

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Finally making good on my plans to visit NOLA - will be there from 3/6 for a week or so.  Will definitely be hitting McClure's during the visit. 

You're on the rotating menu now, if I'm reading the website right - e.g., Wednesday BBQ?

• Love 1

4 hours ago, tipsy mcstagger said:

I think you'd be surprised how many would be in.  Also be a great excuse for an annual NOLA cornhole.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

I think you'd be surprised how many would be in.  Also be a great excuse for an annual NOLA cornhole.

Make this happen

ETA: Sure there'll be obstacles and roadblocks. Damn the torpedoes!

Edited by msommer

13 minutes ago, msommer said:

Make this happen

ETA: Sure there'll be obstacles and roadblocks. Damn the torpedoes!

I'm not the right guy to structure it but I'm in if we can find someone to handle that.  Maybe we start a list of those willing to participate? Then we figure out the structure part?

• Love 1

Just seeing this Tipsy. Definitely in for some funding help if it will be good for you. Still fondly remember having beers when you were touring the East Coast. Sorry to hear about the troubles. Always try to steer people your way when they go to NOLA. 

• Love 1

I guess I should have thought more seriously about a kickstarter with y'all....    I'm not too good at asking for help I guess.

But....

I have a new silent partner...should become official on Monday.  Going to bring BBQ full time soon.  

He is buying in for a % and looking for a building to buy and get us selling bbq & drinks.  And he is thinking bigger than I ever really did.   More to follow....phase 4 of journey has begun I guess 😳

• Like 37
  • Love 9

On 2/5/2020 at 1:49 PM, heckmanm said:

Finally making good on my plans to visit NOLA - will be there from 3/6 for a week or so.  Will definitely be hitting McClure's during the visit. 

You're on the rotating menu now, if I'm reading the website right - e.g., Wednesday BBQ?

hope to be back to full time bbq options by then.   this current menu is really hard to deal with in this space when we are busy.   so at least on the weekends ill have the bbq.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

Great news, Tipsy.  You know we are always pulling for you here.

This

• Love 1

6 hours ago, tipsy mcstagger said:

hope to be back to full time bbq options by then.   this current menu is really hard to deal with in this space when we are busy.   so at least on the weekends ill have the bbq.

Good luck GB.  Mrs APK and I are hoping to be back in late April for a golf tourney and jazz fest.  Your bbq is on our list (again).

• Love 1

7 hours ago, tipsy mcstagger said:

I guess I should have thought more seriously about a kickstarter with y'all....    I'm not too good at asking for help I guess.

But....

I have a new silent partner...should become official on Monday.  Going to bring BBQ full time soon.  

He is buying in for a % and looking for a building to buy and get us selling bbq & drinks.  And he is thinking bigger than I ever really did.   More to follow....phase 4 of journey has begun I guess 😳

That’s great news! Just be careful not to get too big and overextended. 

• Love 1

12 hours ago, kutta said:

That’s great news! Just be careful not to get too big and overextended. 

Being bigger should enable me to hire more to cover some of my 80+ hours...that and drink profits.   

• Like 5

Make sure you give us the info as soon as it becomes public. Whenever someone I know heads to NO, I try to push them your way, and I am sure that I am not alone in this activity!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, tipsy mcstagger said:

As long as you're cooking something somewhere, we'll come and find you

• Love 1

1 hour ago, tipsy mcstagger said:

Being bigger should enable me to hire more to cover some of my 80+ hours...that and drink profits.   

Remember to have iced tea on the menu GB! (Not that you'd forget, given the number if times you've ranted about it over the years).

Depending on location and setup I'd consider draft (craft) on tap, particularly if you get anything like the terrace setup NOLA brewery has, or a small yard in front/back. That might get some extra weekday afternoon traffic

Edited by msommer

21 minutes ago, msommer said:

Remember to have iced tea on the menu GB! (Not that you'd forget, given the number if times you've ranted about it over the years).

Depending on location and setup I'd consider draft (craft) on tap, particularly if you get anything like the terrace setup NOLA brewery has, or a small yard in front/back. That might get some extra weekday afternoon traffic

definitely.   I'll still have some bud & miller lite around...but only in bottles.   $2 longnecks all day everyday.  Or something like that anyway.  Will definitely be hitting as many local guys on the tap list as I can if the space is right.   And yes....iced tea 🤣🤣🤣

One thing I won't do....I won't ever be open 7 days again.   Ridiculous way to live. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, heckmanm said:

As long as you're cooking something somewhere, we'll come and find you

I'd skip my egg salad sandwich pop up night....the farts are overwhelming in here.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 3

definitely.   I'll still have some bud & miller lite around...but only in bottles.   $2 longnecks all day everyday.  Or something like that anyway.  Will definitely be hitting as many local guys on the tap list as I can if the space is right.   And yes....iced tea 🤣🤣🤣

One thing I won't do....I won't ever be open 7 days again.   Ridiculous way to live. 

Would you do a weekday closure? How good are you at Bloody Marys? ;)

9 minutes ago, Mr. Ected said:

Would you do a weekday closure? How good are you at Bloody Marys? ;)

real good.   sold approximately 100 or more a week at Dante's for a decade....all homemade.   not so fun when you chug them before going to a saints playoff game....that horsey hurts the nose.

• Laughing 1

You got this GB 

legal paperwork for our partnership is done....just need to sign in next day or two.  

what an unreal journey.   this last 2 months has been so hard....cannot believe 1. I'm still open and 2. I have a clear path forward to making my lil biz succeed.

meanwhile....manning the pit today for some catering...i'm pretty good at this part.

• Like 24
  • Love 6

2 hours ago, tipsy mcstagger said:

legal paperwork for our partnership is done....just need to sign in next day or two.  

what an unreal journey.   this last 2 months has been so hard....cannot believe 1. I'm still open and 2. I have a clear path forward to making my lil biz succeed.

meanwhile....manning the pit today for some catering...i'm pretty good at this part.

Congrats!  I was looking forward to having a .0001 percent stake in a bbq business though.  :kicksrock:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Foosball God said:
3 hours ago, tipsy mcstagger said:

Congrats!  I was looking forward to having a .0001 percent stake in a bbq business though.  :kicksrock:

:goodposting: :sadbanana:

• Love 1

3 hours ago, tipsy mcstagger said:

Congrats.   Do you mind if I ask if this came about through a random person approaching you?  Random conversation?  Intentional introduction?  Just curious and very happy for you.

42 minutes ago, Skipdog77 said:

Way to step up and help out @chet:tinfoilhat::moneybag: :porked:

?

• Laughing 1

2 hours ago, chet said:

?

Exactly what I would have expected a silent partner to say.  

• Like 1
  • Laughing 3

28 minutes ago, Skipdog77 said:

Exactly what I would have expected a silent partner to say.  

Only the true silent partner denies his divinity.

awesome, well deserved!

16 hours ago, facook said:

Congrats.   Do you mind if I ask if this came about through a random person approaching you?  Random conversation?  Intentional introduction?  Just curious and very happy for you.

Fellow dad at kids school....we are in the mens club together and were watching football with a few other dads when my semi-buzzed emotionally drained self told them all how close I was to pulling the plug.   I had no idea he was a potential investor or even had an inkling he was in that kind of financial position...i was just pouring my heart out amongst friends.   He said lets talk.   We did.   He does this investing stuff for a living it turns out.

Luck?  Providence? Coincidence?    I dunno....but I do know if I hadn't have found him or something else by the middle of January I would have called it quits and used the rest of cash I had to pay my staff and any bills I could.   Craziness.

• Like 13
  • Love 4

10 hours ago, Tiger Fan said:

awesome, well deserved!

spot he is looking at is very close to where you live btw....I expect your undying loyalty then :)

• Like 3

spot he is looking at is very close to where you live btw....I expect your undying loyalty then :)

:banned:

• Love 1
  • Laughing 1

Catching up on this... glad to hear about the recent 'ups' in light of the previous 'downs'.

Have not made it down to try the food but I will say that my McLure's tshirt is my absolute favorite shirt that my girlfriend regularly steals. 

• Love 1

51 minutes ago, Worm said:

Catching up on this... glad to hear about the recent 'ups' in light of the previous 'downs'.

Have not made it down to try the food but I will say that my McLure's tshirt is my absolute favorite shirt that my girlfriend regularly steals. 

:pics:

• Laughing 1