Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
tipsy mcstagger

McClure's BBQ: Open again

I would feel completed if only I could hold Evilgrin's hair during a tandem vomit. It's a bucket list item I have had for some years now.

Oddly, it's also on my list. I only wish I still had my long hair.

you guys are weirding me out ;)

I am NOT gay.

I am just trying not to picture two guys holding each others hair while tandem vomiting. Even if only one guy holds the hair, doesn't the guy with the hair get covered in vomit?

Damn, I now need a bottle of scotch after all to remove images from brain.

Why must you work so hard to make something so right, wrong?

Tipsy how do I go about ordering some of the Brine ? Would like to try it myself and also have a coworker who is into smoking and brings stuff in all the time, would like to get him some to try as well.

the brine recipe is not for sale....but here ya go....

1 part soyZ

1 part oj

1 part sugar

1 part salt

1 can sprite

4 parts water.

There is some acid here. I would be curious to see the ph of this mixture measured. If too low (<7.5) I would worry about causing the bird to lose it's ability to retain moisture. This is also a 35%-ish salt solution. 6% is all that is required. Anything north of 6% is just food waste.

Sprite has a pH level of 4.08. (I don't even want to know what they use to get there)

Soy sauce has a similar ph in the low 4s (Lactic Acid)

OJ should be even lower. 3.5 is the best guess.

Sugar and water is neutral. Salt has no H so it isn't a factor here.

I'm guessing you are looking at a ph of perhaps 5.5.

Any airflow over the bird during cooking is going to cause problems.

What?

It works...

What you have here is a marinade, not a brine. One that will start to unravel the protein strands in minutes. The effect on the texture will be deterministic. I'm surprised such a wide window of time in the marinade is quoted.

Many are interested - go on. How is this low ph mixture going to impart a different texture on the meat that a more typical brine with a lot more salt? We want to know!!!

A lot more salt? This has 5x more than is required to do the job even if all the other components were changed to water. Salt in a brine needs to be added by weight, not measure. This is more to prevent waste than to do anything chemically.

Brining is a very well understood reaction. This isn't a brine, which is fine, you just need to understand what it is. The amount of acid here will tenderize the meat. Quickly. Most people do not care for mushy chicken.

What I imagine happens here is that the long slow cooking dries out the mushy chicken to the point it's edible and the salt holds just enough moisture such that it doesn't taste like a 2x4. I am not a fan of smoked chicken. I think the whole concept of smoking something with so little intramuscular fat makes no sense whatsoever.

Weird....people keep telling me my chicken is the best they have ever had. MUSHY has never come up.

Tipsy how do I go about ordering some of the Brine ? Would like to try it myself and also have a coworker who is into smoking and brings stuff in all the time, would like to get him some to try as well.

1 part soyZ

1 part oj

1 part sugar

1 part salt

1 can sprite

4 parts water.

There is some acid here. I would be curious to see the ph of this mixture measured. If too low (<7.5) I would worry about causing the bird to lose it's ability to retain moisture. This is also a 35%-ish salt solution. 6% is all that is required. Anything north of 6% is just food waste.

Sprite has a pH level of 4.08. (I don't even want to know what they use to get there)

What?

It works...

What you have here is a marinade, not a brine. One that will start to unravel the protein strands in minutes. The effect on the texture will be deterministic. I'm surprised such a wide window of time in the marinade is quoted.

Many are interested - go on. How is this low ph mixture going to impart a different texture on the meat that a more typical brine with a lot more salt? We want to know!!!

A lot more salt? This has 5x more than is required to do the job even if all the other components were changed to water. Salt in a brine needs to be added by weight, not measure. This is more to prevent waste than to do anything chemically.

Brining is a very well understood reaction. This isn't a brine, which is fine, you just need to understand what it is. The amount of acid here will tenderize the meat. Quickly. Most people do not care for mushy chicken.

What I imagine happens here is that the long slow cooking dries out the mushy chicken to the point it's edible and the salt holds just enough moisture such that it doesn't taste like a 2x4. I am not a fan of smoked chicken. I think the whole concept of smoking something with so little intramuscular fat makes no sense whatsoever.

Weird....people keep telling me my chicken is the best they have ever had. MUSHY has never come up.

It certainly wasn't mushy, but I did use more water in order to cover the birds so it may not be the perfect test/proof.

Your brine is very different (liquid to salt ratio) to the one JB has posted in his smoked chicken recipe, but that is made on the grill and not necessarily low and slow (at least it doesn't seem to be).

1 part soyZ

1 part oj

1 part sugar

1 part salt

1 can sprite

4 parts water.

What?

It works...

Most people wouldn't complain to a portly, self-important figure such as yourself.

Wat? Tipsey is seriously being questioned? Doesn't he actually own a resteraunt?

I'm sure if he did, someone would have started a thread about it.

Wat? Tipsey is seriously being questioned? Doesn't he actually own a resteraunt?

I don't see the issue with it. Because he owns a restaurant he can't be questioned on why he uses a certain brine? All business owners can't be questioned? Seems silly.

As others have explained, a brine is a technique that is basically scientifically proven. Tipsey's is very different from that. It may work for him, though.

And to a certain extent, Tipsey should be continually learning and questioning himself. That's how business owners become successful.

I don't see the issue with it. Because he owns a restaurant he can't be questioned on why he uses a certain brine? All business owners can't be questioned? Seems silly.

As others have explained, a brine is a technique that is basically scientifically proven. Tipsey's is very different from that. It may work for him, though.

And to a certain extent, Tipsey should be continually learning and questioning himself. That's how business owners become successful.

Tipsey is always learning and questioning food. Poster was a bit ridiculous in his comment.

i call it brine, some call it a marinade....but all I know is my method works really well for what I am doing. And no...l have no problem being questioned...I was after all a front of house guy most of my career.

Installed a home made scrubber this weekend for under 100 bucks. It sprays a fine mist / fog over the smoke exiting the stack with two different nozzles attached inside another stack with a cone at the bottom to collect the moisture & particulate matter. It is working really well...but we are going to make version 2.0 with another nozzle and higher stack. I want to be able to show the judge that may or may not ever here this case that we are trying to help reduce the smoke my neighbors detect. Basically I pulled an end run around their attempt at shutting me down and now they are negotiating a truce of sorts....if their fence is rebuilt (see landlord destroys their fence post some pages back) and the smoke is reduced they are allegedly going to drop the suit.

If they don't...well....they will lose horribly in court in my opinion and I will counter sue for everything I possibly can. I've had enough of being messed with.

• Like 2

i call it brine, some call it a marinade....but all I know is my method works really well for what I am doing. And no...l have no problem being questioned...I was after all a front of house guy most of my career.

Installed a home made scrubber this weekend for under 100 bucks. It sprays a fine mist / fog over the smoke exiting the stack with two different nozzles attached inside another stack with a cone at the bottom to collect the moisture & particulate matter. It is working really well...but we are going to make version 2.0 with another nozzle and higher stack. I want to be able to show the judge that may or may not ever here this case that we are trying to help reduce the smoke my neighbors detect. Basically I pulled an end run around their attempt at shutting me down and now they are negotiating a truce of sorts....if their fence is rebuilt (see landlord destroys their fence post some pages back) and the smoke is reduced they are allegedly going to drop the suit.

If they don't...well....they will lose horribly in court in my opinion and I will counter sue for everything I possibly can. I've had enough of being messed with.

:thumbup:

So now they are mad about a fence? Seems like each week they are finding a new thing to complain about, frivolous!

:clap:

i call it brine, some call it a marinade....but all I know is my method works really well for what I am doing.

Whatever it is, I used the "mixture" for wings yesterday for the first time. I did not have enough sugar on hand so I substituted roughly half of the sugar the recipe calls for with Brown Sugar. The wings turned out great. Everybody loved em' - even the wife approved which is a tough sell as she is not a big wing fan. Thanks for sharing!

i call it brine, some call it a marinade....but all I know is my method works really well for what I am doing.

Whatever it is, I used the "mixture" for wings yesterday for the first time. I did not have enough sugar on hand so I substituted roughly half of the sugar the recipe calls for with Brown Sugar. The wings turned out great. Everybody loved em' - even the wife approved which is a tough sell as she is not a big wing fan. Thanks for sharing!

I liked it as well and used the rub after the brininade. The wings were great. I added some salt and pepper to the rub as suggested and probably didn't need any salt after the brininade. They still tasted great, especially the chicken, but they really didn't need any extra seasoning beyond the rub.

So, your neighbors are suing you for a nuissance after your landlord damaged their property after there is a history with the landlord.

Yeah. I love that kind of argument in court. The best is when the neighbors don't have an attorney and they try to argue themselves. I had one woman bring a bag of leaves to a hearing to show the damage to the leaves that my client was causing with their business (it was a gym. There was no pollution. The lights were on in the parking lot). To her, the lights on did something to the leaves because her trees weren't growing the way other neighbor's trees were.

How do I argue that in court. I can't cross examine a leaf. Mr. Leaf, your owner claims that my client's lights are causing some kind of photovotalic checmical reaction that is stunting your growth. Is that true.

Yeah, nothing. Because it's a leaf. I asked if all the leaves had to be marked and entered as evidence. It's cool to make a judge laugh at someone else.

Awfully quiet in here... :oldunsure:

planning on going today for lunch if i can get some work done

Had the brisket cheesesteak sandwich for lunch. Phenomenal. We were the 2nd group in for lunch and then it got slammed....was packed the entire time.

Impressed with the technology behind the whole smoke capture thing. Very little smoke was visible and minimal smell while we were walking a block or so from where we parked. (I love that smell, but just commenting on how the thing worked).

I'm 5,000 miles away. Stop making me hungry :angry:

Edited by msommer
  • Like 1

Had the brisket cheesesteak sandwich for lunch. Phenomenal. We were the 2nd group in for lunch and then it got slammed....was packed the entire time.

Impressed with the technology behind the whole smoke capture thing. Very little smoke was visible and minimal smell while we were walking a block or so from where we parked. (I love that smell, but just commenting on how the thing worked).

Did you say hi to Portly McStagger?

Wings are being brined tipsy style. Smoke em and frying them tomorrow.

I didn't have peanut oil so I'll have to use canola. Plan on using tipsyrub as well.

I've never smoked wings before, 2 hours in the big green egg sound good or is that too long

Did you say hi to Portly McStagger?

I did. Sent him your love

Brisket cheesesteak

:yum:

It was really good. Brought 4 people from work, only 1 of which had been before. Out of the other 3, one of them was swearing up and down by one of the competitors down the street.....this changed his mind

I didn't have peanut oil so I'll have to use canola. Plan on using tipsyrub as well.

I've never smoked wings before, 2 hours in the big green egg sound good or is that too long

It only took 1 hour. Only problem now is I have them done too early. I just put them in foil and will fry them before I serve them. Hope that doesnt ruin them. But I stole one before the fry and they were awesome. I would love to buy that rub when its available Tips

I usually don't smoke my wings for more than an hour or so at around 250 on my WSM. Not a lot of meat to cook.

• Like 1

It only took 1 hour. Only problem now is I have them done too early. I just put them in foil and will fry them before I serve them. Hope that doesnt ruin them. But I stole one before the fry and they were awesome. I would love to buy that rub when its available Tips

How much pepper did you put in with the rub?

left it as was. Added nothing. The rub got me about 17 wings or so. Had to use 3 little pigs for the remaining wings.

I will be in town for Halloween and want to come by. Are you open every night?

Edited by 5Rings

left it as was. Added nothing. The rub got me about 17 wings or so. Had to use 3 little pigs for the remaining wings.

Used Canola Oil as well. Turned out great. Think I've got some room for improvement with respect to applying the rub. I used the ziplock/shake method after I patted them dry. Is there something better out there?

FWIW, used indirect heat (~375) on a gas grill for 10 min on each side before putting them in the fryer for 2 min.

• Like 1

Agreed. Tipsy, if you start bottling the rub and selling it online, I'll buy some. It made my pork chops delicious.

See, it's not just you...

City: Odor from Sriracha chili plant a nuisance California city sues Sriracha hot sauce maker, calls odor from factory a public nuisance

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The maker of Sriracha hot sauce is under fire for allegedly fouling the air around its Southern California factory.

The city of Irwindale filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court Monday asking a judge to stop production at the Huy Fong Foods factory, claiming the chili odor emanating from the plant is a public nuisance.

City officials say residents have been complaining of burning eyes, irritated throats and headaches and that some people have had to leave their house to escape the smell.

One family was forced to move a birthday party indoors after the strong smell overwhelmed the festivity, Irwindale City Attorney Fred Galante told the Los Angeles Times.

Huy Fong initially cooperated with the city, but talks broke down last week after company representatives denied there was an odor problem, saying their employees worked in similar olfactory settings without complaint, Galante said.

The city, which is about 20 miles east of downtown Los Angeles, is seeking temporary closure of the factory until Huy Fong submits a plan to minimize the smell.

"If they fix it and the odor problems stop, we don't need this order; but so far the odor complaints continue," Galante said.

An after-hours call to the company was not immediately returned.

Huy Fong's green-capped chili bottles are hugely popular and are a fixture at restaurants around the world. The first Sriracha Festival held in downtown Los Angeles over the weekend drew hundreds of fans. The condiment's creator, David Tran, was there sporting a T-shirt that said "I put Sriracha on my Sriracha."

The company had operated out of two buildings in nearby Rosemead since the late 1980s until it opened large factory in Irwindale this year.

All of the chili needed for producing the year's sauce is processed and stored between September and December.

That article helped me have my biggest week day yesterday since opening week. Served 180 all day. Starting today with an order to my wife's ad firm for 130 guests....probably beat that number today I think :)

• Like 7

See, it's not just you...

City: Odor from Sriracha chili plant a nuisance California city sues Sriracha hot sauce maker, calls odor from factory a public nuisance

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The maker of Sriracha hot sauce is under fire for allegedly fouling the air around its Southern California factory.

The city of Irwindale filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court Monday asking a judge to stop production at the Huy Fong Foods factory, claiming the chili odor emanating from the plant is a public nuisance.

Update on this one: http://www.abc27.com/story/23841829/calif-citys-bid-to-close-sriracha-plant-denied

A judge refused Thursday to order an immediate halt to production of the internationally popular hot sauce Sriracha at a Southern California factory that local residents say is stinking up their neighborhoods with pepper and garlic fumes. In rejecting the city of Irwindale's request for a temporary restraining order, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Robert O'Brien indicated he wasn't given enough time to consider the case.

"You're asking for a very radical order on 24-hour notice," O'Brien told attorney June Ailin, representing the city. Instead, O'Brien scheduled a Nov. 22 hearing to consider issuing a preliminary injunction.

The harvest season will end in about a week, meaning the smell should be gone by the Nov. 22 hearing - at least until next August.

What's your opinion of Saucy's? They seem pretty close to you.

Saucy's is the best you can get