What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McClure's BBQ (1 Viewer)

'Megla said:
'tipsy mcstagger said:
chicken legs
Interesting, why no wings or white meat choice?
Not sure why for Tipsy but for me, legs and thighs are the perfect intersection of value and taste. The dark meat holds up great to smoke and is more forgiving if heat gets too high. It also holds much better in my opinion. I love wings but they're ridiculously overpriced. Just bought a big pack of thighs this morning at Sams for .99 per pound. Wings way more. J
I agree with all this

'Megla said:
'tipsy mcstagger said:
chicken legs
Not sure why for Tipsy but for me, legs and thighs are the perfect intersection of value and taste. The dark meat holds up great to smoke and is more forgiving if heat gets too high. It also holds much better in my opinion. I love wings but they're ridiculously overpriced. Just bought a big pack of thighs this morning at Sams for .99 per pound. Wings way more. J
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :thumbup:

its all for free to my peeps tonight...and the legs were BOGO Free...so.... :banned:

I'll be cooking whole chickens for the restaurant. Butcher up a half or quarter to order. Do some pulled for sandwiches.

its all for free to my peeps tonight...and the legs were BOGO Free...so.... :banned: I'll be cooking whole chickens for the restaurant. Butcher up a half or quarter to order. Do some pulled for sandwiches.
pullled smoked chicken sammiches = heaven.
I did a southwestern smoked chicken salad this summer (posted in the BBQ thread) that was outstanding.
I did a search for posts by you for "southwestern" and nothing came up, can you link to your post please?

'Megla said:
'tipsy mcstagger said:
chicken legs
I completely agree for myself. But if you want to bring in the women, chicken breasts and salad result in a fairly significant increase in volume. Brine the breasts, then keep in a tub of wishbone Italian dressing and grill enough to only have to do them every 20-30 min. Serve on a bed of lettuce for $8.75. I would never order it, but if it was on the menu, I'd bring my wife instead of coming alone- doubling the check average.

'Megla said:
'tipsy mcstagger said:
chicken legs
I completely agree for myself. But if you want to bring in the women, chicken breasts and salad result in a fairly significant increase in volume. Brine the breasts, then keep in a tub of wishbone Italian dressing and grill enough to only have to do them every 20-30 min. Serve on a bed of lettuce for $8.75. I would never order it, but if it was on the menu, I'd bring my wife instead of coming alone- doubling the check average.
Screw the fairyfood wimmens. Eat real meat or stay home and do laundry.This is a BBQ Joint, not a Panera Bread, hippie! :rant: :D

Last edited by a moderator:
chicken legs
I'll not argue the points above, but there is a large portion of the population that will not eat "Dark meat", I was simply saying I was suprised that Tipsey was limiting his potiential clientel. Now that we know it's at his house and is a freebie my post is moot.

:pickle: my new & improved scratch beans have won the taste test from last night. :pickle:

I need to write down my final recipe, so I'll do it here since I :wub: u guys. :mancrush:

Day before serving

2# SMALL navy beans, soaked overnight, rinsed, boiled slowly for an hour* until just before they become mushy. *Add chicken stock (2 to 1 with water), onion, celery, and garlic to the beans...and a ham hock during the boiling phase. Drain. Remove everything but the beans and discard.

Add together in bowl & mix

3 cups chicken stock

1 cup water

2 cups light brown sugar

1 cup honey

2 tbl sorgum molasses (i choose the kind made by the amish / sub any molasses i suppose :rolleyes: )

2 cans tomato paste

2 cans tomato puree

2 tbl cumin

2 tbl salt

2 tbl pepper

.25 cup of (use your favorite meat seasoning)

1 green & 1 red bell pepper diced and sauteed lightly w the smoke onion & garlic

1 smoked onion chopped up

1/2 clove of smoked garlic

8 strips of bacon cooked and chopped

3 cups of leftover pulled pork chopped

2# cooked beans

Let set-up @ least 12 hours so those beans soak up a ton of the flavor before the next days cook.

DAY OF COOK:

Cook in smoker for 1.5 hours uncovered, with a stir every 30 minutes.

Cover and let cook for another 1.5 hours, then serve!

:banned:

:pickle: my new & improved scratch beans have won the taste test from last night. :pickle:I need to write down my final recipe, so I'll do it here since I :wub: u guys. :mancrush:Day before serving2# SMALL navy beans, soaked overnight, rinsed, boiled slowly for an hour* until just before they become mushy. *Add chicken stock (2 to 1 with water), onion, celery, and garlic to the beans...and a ham hock during the boiling phase. Drain. Remove everything but the beans and discard. Add together in bowl & mix3 cups chicken stock1 cup water2 cups light brown sugar1 cup honey2 tbl sorgum molasses (i choose the kind made by the amish / sub any molasses i suppose :rolleyes: )2 cans tomato paste2 cans tomato puree2 tbl cumin2 tbl salt2 tbl pepper.25 cup of (use your favorite meat seasoning)1 green & 1 red bell pepper diced and sauteed lightly w the smoke onion & garlic1 smoked onion chopped up1/2 clove of smoked garlic 8 strips of bacon cooked and chopped3 cups of leftover pulled pork chopped 2# cooked beansLet set-up @ least 12 hours so those beans soak up a ton of the flavor before the next days cook.DAY OF COOK:Cook in smoker for 1.5 hours uncovered, with a stir every 30 minutes. Cover and let cook for another 1.5 hours, then serve! :banned:
Were the canned beans prepared with the same additions or are we talking apples and oranges?

its all for free to my peeps tonight...and the legs were BOGO Free...so.... :banned: I'll be cooking whole chickens for the restaurant. Butcher up a half or quarter to order. Do some pulled for sandwiches.
pullled smoked chicken sammiches = heaven.
I did a southwestern smoked chicken salad this summer (posted in the BBQ thread) that was outstanding.
I did a search for posts by you for "southwestern" and nothing came up, can you link to your post please?
Probably because I spelled Southwestern wrong.http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=586931&view=findpost&p=13449062 One might consider using one of the Chipotle Mayos out there instead as it uses a Chipotle puree instead of the powder which adds more depth of flavor. You could also make your own puree, I suppose.

Were the canned beans prepared with the same additions or are we talking apples and oranges?
Pretty much, with less on the spices by a lot. The scratch beans were better, and had more street cred when showcased against the canned made better method i've done my entire life. being lazy won't ever pay off I think.

Pretty much, with less on the spices by a lot. The scratch beans were better, and had more street cred when showcased against the canned made better method i've done my entire life. being lazy won't ever pay off I think.
You could well be right but serving two different "flavored" beans isn't really factual data for that.

Also - what meat seasoning did you use, and did you just smoke your onion and garlic on a smoker or is that some sort of slang? Sorry if I'm being dense, but I want to get this recipe right when I make it

'joker said:
Also - what meat seasoning did you use, and did you just smoke your onion and garlic on a smoker or is that some sort of slang? Sorry if I'm being dense, but I want to get this recipe right when I make it
I slow smoked whole onions, quartered, salt & peppered, and veg oil. The garlic was a clove split in half (cutting each toe in half essentially) still in its outer layers, also seasoned with salt & pepper and rubbed w oil. They are done when you can squeeze out a toe of garlic because it is nice and soft. And delicious by itself.Meat Seasoning: 2#salt14 oz. black pepper2 oz. cayenne12 oz. paprika10 oz. granulated garlic8 oz. onion powder5 tablespoons ground sage5 tablespoons ground rosemary15 ea. bay leaves ground

This and the other cooking threads fascinate me. I love to cook, but don't have the natural talent or imagination for it. If someone gives me step-by-step instructions, I can bulldoze my way through it. But starting from scratch with just my feeble brain to create something - that's way beyond my ability. Even some of the recipes posted seem like Greek to me - I'd almost need a video to walk me through it.

Anyway.....sounds like Tipsy's stuff is seconded by the foodies here, so I'm sure it'll be great. I've done the business side of restaurants/bars before, but the creative side eludes me.

Tipsy, if you ever go on-line and can ship (dry ice or whatever) I'm game to buy some.

My luck continues...I'm not sure why I'm getting all the good karma, but I'll take it.

Made a solid connection with a Molasses maker that will be supplying me with Peach Wood too. And Hickory. Scoring both down here in NOLA is no easy feat. :pickle:

How would you describe how the two beans tasted different?J

Hrmm... we're taking the train down on Friday December 9th but we don't arrive till 3:30. Boo! We're still coming by for Brunch that Sunday though.

Congrats again on the arrangement. It sounds EXACTLY like what you need to get off the ground. :thumbup:

I hear ya on the Ribs/Chicken being much shorter cook times. I'm not a huge fan of overnight cooks. Just a suggestion but you MIGHT want to look into a Rock's BBQ Stoker Pit Control system. They make them for any size pit. If you ran a couple/few cooks with the system to get the hang of it, I'm confident you could set and forget for overnight cooks and have your shoulder waiting on you almost finished when you wake up the next morning. Yes, it's sorta cheating... but your customers won't see any difference in the end product and that's the most important part.

They have a model compatible with your Lang. You're looking at around $500 total to get a great control system going that would make your life a LOT easier once the novelty of daily smokes wears off... or once your customers start demanding pulled pork or brisket daily after trying it. :D
That is very cool. It even tweets.
Yeah, it looks really cool!

Soul vs soulless . Creative vs formulaic. :excited: The scratch beans just had much more depth, less sweetness which made the spices really bang, and they were not mushy like canned beans. Some thought they were more chili like than baked beans, but they liked them better anyway. They only 2 people that liked the cans ones better are two twenty somethings that admittedly love sweets.

Soul vs soulless . Creative vs formulaic. :excited: The scratch beans just had much more depth, less sweetness which made the spices really bang, and they were not mushy like canned beans. Some thought they were more chili like than baked beans, but they liked them better anyway. They only 2 people that liked the cans ones better are two twenty somethings that admittedly love sweets.
In terms of star rating, it is 2 farts vs. 4 farts. :thumbup:

I cannot believe how bad my toe is hurting me. This is going to be a LONG PAINFUL day. 5 sauces to make. All the prep for my m.e.p. tomorrow. Blending all the rubs. Making the cornbread batter. Prepping the cabbage & making the dressing for tomorrow. Beans...bean sauce....cheese grating.... :wall: :wall:

And if I take anything stronger than aleve, i'm toast energy wise. I guess it was going too smooth & my luck was too good....At least I have till tomorrow night.

I cannot believe how bad my toe is hurting me. This is going to be a LONG PAINFUL day. 5 sauces to make. All the prep for my m.e.p. tomorrow. Blending all the rubs. Making the cornbread batter. Prepping the cabbage & making the dressing for tomorrow. Beans...bean sauce....cheese grating.... :wall: :wall: And if I take anything stronger than aleve, i'm toast energy wise. I guess it was going too smooth & my luck was too good....At least I have till tomorrow night.
You know we are all rooting for you. If I wasn't 12 hours away I'd be glad to lend a hand.

Also...the fact that these beans are delicious with just a bowl of rice says a ton about how much better they are than my old beans.

Also...the fact that these beans are delicious with just a bowl of rice says a ton about how much better they are than my old beans.
I prefer my baked beans sweeter than spicy as well.

They are both spicy and sweet NCC. Thats why most ended up liking them more. I asked everyone that tasted if they needed anymore sweetness, and the vast majority said no.

They are both spicy and sweet NCC. Thats why most ended up liking them more. I asked everyone that tasted if they needed anymore sweetness, and the vast majority said no.
Mine are heavy on cinnamon and brown sugar. Plus I cook them down to where they are fairly thick. So they are pretty sweet, almost dessert like but not quite.

I slow smoked whole onions, quartered, salt & peppered, and veg oil. The garlic was a clove split in half (cutting each toe in half essentially) still in its outer layers, also seasoned with salt & pepper and rubbed w oil. They are done when you can squeeze out a toe of garlic because it is nice and soft. And delicious by itself.Meat Seasoning:

2#salt

14 oz. black pepper

2 oz. cayenne

12 oz. paprika

10 oz. granulated garlic

8 oz. onion powder

5 tablespoons ground sage

5 tablespoons ground rosemary

15 ea. bay leaves ground
wait, what?

I slow smoked whole onions, quartered, salt & peppered, and veg oil. The garlic was a clove split in half (cutting each toe in half essentially) still in its outer layers, also seasoned with salt & pepper and rubbed w oil. They are done when you can squeeze out a toe of garlic because it is nice and soft. And delicious by itself.Meat Seasoning:

2#salt

14 oz. black pepper

2 oz. cayenne

12 oz. paprika

10 oz. granulated garlic

8 oz. onion powder

5 tablespoons ground sage

5 tablespoons ground rosemary

15 ea. bay leaves ground
wait, what?
I'm pretty sure he means 2 pounds of (probably kosher) salt. The more I cook the more I realize the magical power of Salt.

J

Last edited by a moderator:
yes....2# of Kosher salt(i don't even have regular table salt in the house). I need to add ...don't add the salt if storing for more than a week.. gets clumpy.

Props for folks today:

Brother in law is helping me in kitchen.

Dessert Chef @ Dante's whipping up my FUDGE BACON BROWNIES for me.

So pumped. :banned:

On salt, Michael Ruhlman has a really good looking book that I've just started called 20 http://www.amazon.com/Ruhlmans-Twenty-Techniques-Recipes-Manifesto/dp/0811876438

He takes 20 foundational techniques and explores them. Near the top of his list is Salt.

Everyone knows it's important but the more I'm getting into it, I'm realizing just how much.

J
If my wife is to be believed this is still the biggest hole in my cooking. When I was kid my father was on a very low sodium diet so all the food in the house was essentially salt free. I guess I never really developed the "taste" for it or something and so I tend to use very light salt on everything. Most people seem to never notice or are too polite to say but my wife insists I consistently under salt everything.

The miss use of salt...especially not using it enough, is the biggest hole in everyones cooking. And the thing that separates our cooking down here is we know how to use salt & other seasonings. It was a very necessary part of cooking down here in the olden days when meat they used daily wouldn't make it in our dog bowls today. Refrigeration changed that part thankfully, but we didn't forget how to season things.

Users who are viewing this thread