What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McClure's BBQ (2 Viewers)

I would feel completed if only I could hold Evilgrin's hair during a tandem vomit. It's a bucket list item I have had for some years now.
Oddly, it's also on my list. I only wish I still had my long hair.
you guys are weirding me out ;)
I am NOT gay.
He just sucks #### recreationally.
Exactly. I've been preserving my amateur status so I can suck #### in the Olympics.

I would feel completed if only I could hold Evilgrin's hair during a tandem vomit. It's a bucket list item I have had for some years now.
I am NOT gay.
I am just trying not to picture two guys holding each others hair while tandem vomiting. Even if only one guy holds the hair, doesn't the guy with the hair get covered in vomit?

Damn, I now need a bottle of scotch after all to remove images from brain.

Evilgrin 72 said:
I am NOT gay.
He just sucks #### recreationally.
Exactly. I've been preserving my amateur status so I can suck #### in the Olympics.
Can we get back to smoking meat? Oh, wait...carry on..

Just smoked my first two chickens using Tipsy's brine. Wife and youngest daughter both claimed best chicken they ever had. Oldest daughter refused to taste because chicken (other than pan fried chicken breast) is 'disgusting'
good work. i get the "best ever" stuff often with the chicken. it is a flavorful brine....but cooking it slow is huge too. Most folks don't have 3 to 4 hours to cook a bird.

Tipsy how do I go about ordering some of the Brine ? Would like to try it myself and also have a coworker who is into smoking and brings stuff in all the time, would like to get him some to try as well.

Tipsy how do I go about ordering some of the Brine ? Would like to try it myself and also have a coworker who is into smoking and brings stuff in all the time, would like to get him some to try as well.
the brine recipe is not for sale....but here ya go....

1 part soy

1 part oj

1 part sugar

1 part salt

1 can sprite

4 parts water.

1 part soy

1 part oj

1 part sugar

1 part salt

1 can sprite

4 parts water.
There is some acid here. I would be curious to see the ph of this mixture measured. If too low (<7.5) I would worry about causing the bird to lose it's ability to retain moisture. This is also a 35%-ish salt solution. 6% is all that is required. Anything north of 6% is just food waste.

Sprite has a pH level of 4.08. (I don't even want to know what they use to get there)

Soy sauce has a similar ph in the low 4s (Lactic Acid)

OJ should be even lower. 3.5 is the best guess.

Sugar and water is neutral. Salt has no H so it isn't a factor here.

I'm guessing you are looking at a ph of perhaps 5.5.

Any airflow over the bird during cooking is going to cause problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the brine on a chicken overnite? And then cook it on a grill or even in the oven?

Could you just put the brine in a bag and put the bird in the bag, making sure it was covered, turning it a couple times?

1 part soy

1 part oj

1 part sugar

1 part salt

1 can sprite

4 parts water.
There is some acid here. I would be curious to see the ph of this mixture measured. If too low (<7.5) I would worry about causing the bird to lose it's ability to retain moisture. This is also a 35%-ish salt solution. 6% is all that is required. Anything north of 6% is just food waste.

Sprite has a pH level of 4.08. (I don't even want to know what they use to get there)

What?

It works...

Do the brine on a chicken overnite? And then cook it on a grill or even in the oven?

Could you just put the brine in a bag and put the bird in the bag, making sure it was covered, turning it a couple times?
brine at least 3 to 12 hours. I cook mine over smoke, but its good on the grill, in the oven, or even fried.

the brine recipe is not for sale....but here ya go....1 part soy

1 part oj

1 part sugar

1 part salt

1 can sprite

4 parts water.

What?It works...
:lmao: Culdy getting scientist and #### up in here

the brine recipe is not for sale....but here ya go....1 part soyZ

1 part oj

1 part sugar

1 part salt

1 can sprite

4 parts water.

What?It works...
What you have here is a marinade, not a brine. One that will start to unravel the protein strands in minutes. The effect on the texture will be deterministic. I'm surprised such a wide window of time in the marinade is quoted.

1 part soy

1 part oj

1 part sugar

1 part salt

1 can sprite

4 parts water.
I suck at smoking. Probably just as bad at following directions and reading comprehension, so this may be a stupid question, but what should the suggested part be? I ask because the can of sprite is 12 0z, and that is a fixed amount.

Thanks

1 part oj

1 part sugar

1 part salt

1 can sprite

4 parts water.

What?It works...
What you have here is a marinade, not a brine. One that will start to unravel the protein strands in minutes. The effect on the texture will be deterministic. I'm surprised such a wide window of time in the marinade is quoted.
Many are interested - go on. How is this low ph mixture going to impart a different texture on the meat that a more typical brine with a lot more salt? We want to know!!!

johnnycakes said:
Holy ####. Tipsy giving away the house with his secret recipe. Sprite? Who would have thunk it. :thumbup:
ancient hawaiian secret for making chicken marinade: can of coke.

for realz

1 cup soy

1 cup brown sugar

TBS garlic chili paste

green onion bunch- chopped the green part only

TBS sesame oil

1 can coke.

mix soy and brown sugar well, add the rest, dump in a bnuch of boneless chicken thighs, marinate overnight and then cook on grill medium heat turning regularly.

Binky The Doormat said:

1 part oj

1 part sugar

1 part salt

1 can sprite

4 parts water.

What?It works...
Many are interested - go on. How is this low ph mixture going to impart a different texture on the meat that a more typical brine with a lot more salt? We want to know!!!
A lot more salt? This has 5x more than is required to do the job even if all the other components were changed to water. Salt in a brine needs to be added by weight, not measure. This is more to prevent waste than to do anything chemically.

Brining is a very well understood reaction. This isn't a brine, which is fine, you just need to understand what it is. The amount of acid here will tenderize the meat. Quickly. Most people do not care for mushy chicken.

What I imagine happens here is that the long slow cooking dries out the mushy chicken to the point it's edible and the salt holds just enough moisture such that it doesn't taste like a 2x4. I am not a fan of smoked chicken. I think the whole concept of smoking something with so little intramuscular fat makes no sense whatsoever.

Binky The Doormat said:

1 part oj

1 part sugar

1 part salt

1 can sprite

4 parts water.

What?It works...
A lot more salt? This has 5x more than is required to do the job even if all the other components were changed to water. Salt in a brine needs to be added by weight, not measure. This is more to prevent waste than to do anything chemically.

Brining is a very well understood reaction. This isn't a brine, which is fine, you just need to understand what it is. The amount of acid here will tenderize the meat. Quickly. Most people do not care for mushy chicken.

What I imagine happens here is that the long slow cooking dries out the mushy chicken to the point it's edible and the salt holds just enough moisture such that it doesn't taste like a 2x4. I am not a fan of smoked chicken. I think the whole concept of smoking something with so little intramuscular fat makes no sense whatsoever.
That's why when I "smoke" my chicken I do it at a much hotter temp, like 350. I still want the smoke flavor and what not, but I want the skin crispier and as you mentioned, there isn't much internal fat so doing it slow isn't necessary imo.

Binky The Doormat said:

1 part oj

1 part sugar

1 part salt

1 can sprite

4 parts water.

What?It works...

That's why when I "smoke" my chicken I do it at a much hotter temp, like 350. I still want the smoke flavor and what not, but I want the skin crispier and as you mentioned, there isn't much internal fat so doing it slow isn't necessary imo.
I do a smoked breast that people really seem to like. Smoke it for about 4 hours.

Binky The Doormat said:

1 part oj

1 part sugar

1 part salt

1 can sprite

4 parts water.

What?It works...
An acidic solution is going to start to break down the proteins (among other things, causing them to become denatured). It's the concept behind a ceviche, However, that said, brining also causes denaturing and it is the pushing of hydrophilic molecules to the outside of the protein structure that causes brining to add moisture to the tissue cells. It seems the acidic solution would only increase that process more but I'm no scientist.

Users who are viewing this thread