What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McClure's BBQ (1 Viewer)

had a chance to stop in earlier this week when I was in town. really good food and nice atmosphere. didn't get the all meats & sides as we were still going for a nice dinner later, but got 3 meats and 2 sides. the brisket and sausage were awesome...I loves me some sausage! (NTTAWWT)

the 6 (actually 7) pack of sauces is friggin' genius! I wish I could have taken one home...it's like a yummy box of crayons. South Carolina was my favorite sauce, but Kansas City, Memphis and Texas were also great.

Maik Jeaunz said:
had a chance to stop in earlier this week when I was in town. really good food and nice atmosphere. didn't get the all meats & sides as we were still going for a nice dinner later, but got 3 meats and 2 sides. the brisket and sausage were awesome...I loves me some sausage! (NTTAWWT)

the 6 (actually 7) pack of sauces is friggin' genius! I wish I could have taken one home...it's like a yummy box of crayons. South Carolina was my favorite sauce, but Kansas City, Memphis and Texas were also great.
thanks for coming !

Ugh....

I gave my overnight cook too much rope...he finally hung himself. Never fired anyone at 3 in the morning until today. One of the harder ones in my career....his drinking is going to kill him....I have to distance myself from it.

But it means I am the official all night cook everyday for a bit.... I'll work the fire and lunches (joy..back to 14 hour days)...I fortunately have a great crew I can hand the dinner shifts over to.

We killed it at the poboy festival. Sold about 800+ sandwiches and 40 gallons of jambalaya, although 20 of those were at the very end of the night...It was getting cold again and the sun was going down...I finished that batch and sold it all for $1 each portion and sold it in 10 minutes flat...not much profit on that but I made a ton of friends in the process.

We killed it at the poboy festival. Sold about 800+ sandwiches and 40 gallons of jambalaya, although 20 of those were at the very end of the night...It was getting cold again and the sun was going down...I finished that batch and sold it all for $1 each portion and sold it in 10 minutes flat...not much profit on that but I made a ton of friends in the process.
:thumbup:

Very glad to see. Stuff like that is a killer way to grab new tastebuds... You moved inventory while likely gaining a bunch of future/new customers. Call it a marketing expense. Having had that Jamblaya, if you were selling it at $1/serving I woulda handed you $20 and a bucket :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
On late Saturday afternoon, my wife and I made our first (of many) visits to McClure's. Between lunch and dinner the place was quiet, so we enjoyed a lot of Tipsy's company before he had to head home to take a nap to gear up for the Po Boy Festival. He kindly had his kitchen staff make me one of his festival pop boys - brisket cheese steak with a great provelone cheese sauce and smoked onions and green peppers. My wife got the brisket plate. Our sides were collard greens, bbq jambalaya and beans. The greens were fantastic, as was the jambalaya - really outstanding.

Now, I'm not from Texas and therefore not a brisket person. I favor pork when it comes to BBQ. But Tipsy's brisket is as good as I've ever eaten and better than at least 99% of the brisket I've tried. My wife does have Texas roots and loves brisket. We both agreed that it was superb. I ate her leftovers for breakfast on Sunday morning.

Thanks, Tipsy and much continued success. You got it going on! Yeah, you rite!

Rob

Bonus points! He even has a painting of Booker (my avatar) in the dining room!

man alive...its raining cats & dogs sideways this morning. trying to light a fire in this is brutal. my feet are wet, my rain gear has a rip in the side, and i'm physically beat down. sometimes it is not a very fun thing I am doing.

yet...

man alive...its raining cats & dogs sideways this morning. trying to light a fire in this is brutal. my feet are wet, my rain gear has a rip in the side, and i'm physically beat down. sometimes it is not a very fun thing I am doing.

yet...
keep that chin up man!

Today is much more fun....rested.....its freezing & windy (some of my favorite stuff when as rare as it is down here) and I have a good fire & a ton of food cooking. Just started the brine on 22 turkeys that I am either smoking or frying for folks tomorrow. I have to use both pits since these birds are too big to fit on the top shelf. Also decided at the last minute to offer sides which just means i'm making big versions of the family table stuff or some of our already on hand sides.

Turkey Gravy
Smoked Onion & Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Molasses Stewed Collard Greens
Macaroni & 4 Cheese
Smoked Chicken & Sausage Gumbo with rice
Barbecue Jambalaya

Smoked Oyster & Bacon Dressing

and Classic Deviled Eggs

34 straight hours at the restaurant. Now i'm back 3 hours later cooking my families turkey....then i eat and pass out. at least until 2 am when I come again. sounds like a complaint? nope...loving it.

Neil - are you open Sunday? Heading to NOLA Sunday morning for SNF (go panthers) with the fiancée and we'd love to stop by if you are open.

Just chiming in to say that my mule finally got to Denmark with my t-shirt, but I'm going to postpone the promised picture until spring, as I don't want to contract pneumonia.

That aside I was just at a restaurant here in Copenhagen (Relæ) that for dessert served a smoked almond icecream with some oaked thin, crisp somethings and what seemed close in texture to cornbread - and the smoky flavor made me think of Tipsy. Obviously I should have taken a picture, but it didn't appear to me - anyway it would not have conveyed the smoky flavor.

Has anyone ever tried smoking salt? I went to a fancy little place that had smoked salt in shakers and it was ####### fantastic. Seems like something you might be able to put in the smoker while everything else is smoking. Shouldn't take up much room.

Has anyone ever tried smoking salt? I went to a fancy little place that had smoked salt in shakers and it was ####### fantastic. Seems like something you might be able to put in the smoker while everything else is smoking. Shouldn't take up much room.
i've had smoked salt...and it is really good when done right. no idea how to smoke it...ill try throwing some on a pan and see what happens.

i've had smoked salt...and it is really good when done right. no idea how to smoke it...ill try throwing some on a pan and see what happens.
http://www.somethingedible.com/index.php/food_drink/entry/tis_the_season_to_give_seasoning_diy_smoked_salt/

34 straight hours at the restaurant. Now i'm back 3 hours later cooking my families turkey....then i eat and pass out. at least until 2 am when I come again. sounds like a complaint? nope...loving it.
At least you are working for yourself though. I had a five year stint putting in hours like this for a company that i will never get back. Very happy that your business had taken off like it has!

Tipsy - we'll be coming in Sunday. Can't promise no Cam Newton jersey, but look forward to it regardless.
http://campl.us/ddRPTt9mQJoHit McClure's Sunday right when they opened. There were no portly self-important fellas on site, but talked to the pit cook right before we went in and then the two girls working the restaurant. Made sure to request last month's brisket...

Had the brisket and chicken with the potato salad and coleslaw. Everything was excellent. Fiancée and I both loved it. Keep up the great work Neil!

...took an ### kicking that night but we'll see the Saints again in Charlotte in two weeks...Go Panthers!

I previously mentioned being a judge on a travel channel show that just filmed. well..i was originally contacted to recommend up & comers in the bbq scene here and they used both of my suggestions so I was ruled out as judge. They did take some exterior shots of my place and me working the pit however...so we will see if I make it past edits.

Yesterday I get a call from a director for the cooking channel....he is coming to speak with me this morning about being on a restaurant competition show they are thinking of filming here in NOLA.

Yesterday I get a call from a director for the cooking channel....he is coming to speak with me this morning about being on a restaurant competition show they are thinking of filming here in NOLA.
No offense, but I just don't see how that could end well. Seems like you already have plenty of publicity. To me, the downside of not having control over their edits and how they craft a story line far outweigh any benefit you could get from the exposure

interesting take Guster. does it really matter if I win or lose...the channel isn't carried here in NOLA.. If I win I get a bump in out of town presence and press..the same if i lose, although obviously to a lesser scale.

i see upside potential outweighing the negative here.

Guster said:
tipsy mcstagger said:
No offense, but I just don't see how that could end well. Seems like you already have plenty of publicity. To me, the downside of not having control over their edits and how they craft a story line far outweigh any benefit you could get from the exposure
I dunno man... they usually make crazy people look crazier, but Tipsy is a really even keel dude (if you've never met him in person). He's well spoken and doesn't sound like some coon ### out of the swamp... he doesn't have any freakish physical qualities for them to focus on...His restaurant isn't some dive with rotting maggots in the corners. There's not really much they could twist to make him look bad. Most of the shows on the Cooking Channel are fairly straight forward too.

I'd talk to them about the title and concept of the show... but I know of quite a few restaurants who have become sensations due to being featured on shows like "Man vs Food" or "Diners and Dives". Could move McClures from local hit with cult following, to a "can't miss stop" for tourists hitting the city.

EDIT: It's Best in Chow.... legit show. Definitely won't make Tipsy look bad. Do it GB!! :thumbup:

i watched man vs food last night for the first time ever. why would anybody want to eat a burger with the hottest peppers on the planet? food tv is silly.....i can be silly. my current dream is to be discovered and start my own show like D, D, & D where I visit bbq shacks all over the country....

i watched man vs food last night for the first time ever. why would anybody want to eat a burger with the hottest peppers on the planet? food tv is silly.....i can be silly. my current dream is to be discovered and start my own show like D, D, & D where I visit bbq shacks all over the country....
The old shows were great when Adam would do all the eating himself, there were somethings he ate that were ridiculously hot, to the point of making him puke. IIRC after the 2nd season he had to stop doing the challenges since his health was going down hill and his girth was growing at an alarming rate.

Guster said:
tipsy mcstagger said:
I dunno man... they usually make crazy people look crazier, but Tipsy is a really even keel dude (if you've never met him in person). He's well spoken and doesn't sound like some coon ### out of the swamp... he doesn't have any freakish physical qualities for them to focus on...His restaurant isn't some dive with rotting maggots in the corners. There's not really much they could twist to make him look bad. Most of the shows on the Cooking Channel are fairly straight forward too.

I'd talk to them about the title and concept of the show... but I know of quite a few restaurants who have become sensations due to being featured on shows like "Man vs Food" or "Diners and Dives". Could move McClures from local hit with cult following, to a "can't miss stop" for tourists hitting the city.

EDIT: It's Best in Chow.... legit show. Definitely won't make Tipsy look bad. Do it GB!! :thumbup:
I tend to agree with this take...FWIW.

Guster said:
tipsy mcstagger said:
I dunno man... they usually make crazy people look crazier, but Tipsy is a really even keel dude (if you've never met him in person). He's well spoken and doesn't sound like some coon ### out of the swamp... he doesn't have any freakish physical qualities for them to focus on...His restaurant isn't some dive with rotting maggots in the corners. There's not really much they could twist to make him look bad. Most of the shows on the Cooking Channel are fairly straight forward too. I'd talk to them about the title and concept of the show... but I know of quite a few restaurants who have become sensations due to being featured on shows like "Man vs Food" or "Diners and Dives". Could move McClures from local hit with cult following, to a "can't miss stop" for tourists hitting the city.

x2. In LA, places that are on any tv show blow up for years. There is a sub par bbq place downtown that was on anthony bordain three years ago that still has a 60min wait at lunch...do it!

Guster said:
tipsy mcstagger said:
I dunno man... they usually make crazy people look crazier, but Tipsy is a really even keel dude (if you've never met him in person). He's well spoken and doesn't sound like some coon ### out of the swamp... he doesn't have any freakish physical qualities for them to focus on...His restaurant isn't some dive with rotting maggots in the corners. There's not really much they could twist to make him look bad. Most of the shows on the Cooking Channel are fairly straight forward too. I'd talk to them about the title and concept of the show... but I know of quite a few restaurants who have become sensations due to being featured on shows like "Man vs Food" or "Diners and Dives". Could move McClures from local hit with cult following, to a "can't miss stop" for tourists hitting the city.

x2. In LA, places that are on any tv show blow up for years. There is a sub par bbq place downtown that was on anthony bordain three years ago that still has a 60min wait at lunch...do it!
Or a show like Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. (If you can survive Guy Fierie - sp?)

Users who are viewing this thread