What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McClure's BBQ (2 Viewers)

Guster said:
tipsy mcstagger said:
Yesterday I get a call from a director for the cooking channel....he is coming to speak with me this morning about being on a restaurant competition show they are thinking of filming here in NOLA.
No offense, but I just don't see how that could end well. Seems like you already have plenty of publicity. To me, the downside of not having control over their edits and how they craft a story line far outweigh any benefit you could get from the exposure
I dunno man... they usually make crazy people look crazier, but Tipsy is a really even keel dude (if you've never met him in person). He's well spoken and doesn't sound like some coon ### out of the swamp... he doesn't have any freakish physical qualities for them to focus on...His restaurant isn't some dive with rotting maggots in the corners. There's not really much they could twist to make him look bad. Most of the shows on the Cooking Channel are fairly straight forward too.

I'd talk to them about the title and concept of the show... but I know of quite a few restaurants who have become sensations due to being featured on shows like "Man vs Food" or "Diners and Dives". Could move McClures from local hit with cult following, to a "can't miss stop" for tourists hitting the city.

EDIT: It's Best in Chow.... legit show. Definitely won't make Tipsy look bad. Do it GB!! :thumbup:
Is tipsey going to grow a long ### beard and wear camo?

Guster said:
tipsy mcstagger said:
Yesterday I get a call from a director for the cooking channel....he is coming to speak with me this morning about being on a restaurant competition show they are thinking of filming here in NOLA.
No offense, but I just don't see how that could end well. Seems like you already have plenty of publicity. To me, the downside of not having control over their edits and how they craft a story line far outweigh any benefit you could get from the exposure
I dunno man... they usually make crazy people look crazier, but Tipsy is a really even keel dude (if you've never met him in person). He's well spoken and doesn't sound like some coon ### out of the swamp... he doesn't have any freakish physical qualities for them to focus on...His restaurant isn't some dive with rotting maggots in the corners. There's not really much they could twist to make him look bad. Most of the shows on the Cooking Channel are fairly straight forward too.

I'd talk to them about the title and concept of the show... but I know of quite a few restaurants who have become sensations due to being featured on shows like "Man vs Food" or "Diners and Dives". Could move McClures from local hit with cult following, to a "can't miss stop" for tourists hitting the city.

EDIT: It's Best in Chow.... legit show. Definitely won't make Tipsy look bad. Do it GB!! :thumbup:
Pork Dynasty™

Guster said:
tipsy mcstagger said:

Pork Dynasty™
ha....he asked me about a reference to an interview i did last year describing our families whole pig cooker as sort of redneck...his question was if I was a hillbilly....i laughed and said yes...a hillbilly that went to a private montessori school & jesuit college...

Doesn't TV add 20 pounds? What is 20 pounds past portly?

Amazingly, searching for "slightly fatter than portly" got me this gem from this LINK:

It is a real word but rubenesque is fatter than portly.
Sorry Tipsy, according to Cinnamon O, you may look like a plump lady in Sir Peter Paul Rubens' paintings. Just be jolly and less self-important and you'll be a star. Good luck.

goodness...contacted by another show today. this one is for travel channel...a new one...hosted by adam richman....

what the hell is going on?

Being from one of the BBQ capitals of the nation (Memphis, TN), but also a huge fan of the creole-style that dominates the New Orleans culinary landscape, McClure's struck me as something special.

They do the basics (Brisket, Shoulder, Ribs, Chicken, Sausage) extremely well... but the true draw for me is in the regional touch on dishes like the "Smoked Brisket Cheesesteak" (chopped brisket sauteed with onions and peppers with a horseradish & provolone-based white roux)... or the amazing "BBQ Jambalaya" that is loaded with perfectly smoked meats.

In a city that's revolves around it's restaurant scene, McClures is one spot that truly stood out to me. Definitely look into them!"

So you're just some guy standing on a random street corner smoking meat now?

That's kinda cool.
well, I think before the smoker was behind the restaurant between him and the condo building. now it's just across the street but it's a pretty small and non-busy street so not too much further away from the restaurant.

looks like it's right next to a dog daycare place.
in retrospect, maybe you shouldn't have had the all meat platter

So you're just some guy standing on a random street corner smoking meat now?

That's kinda cool.
well, I think before the smoker was behind the restaurant between him and the condo building. now it's just across the street but it's a pretty small and non-busy street so not too much further away from the restaurant.

looks like it's right next to a dog daycare place.
in retrospect, maybe you shouldn't have had the all meat platter
I don't think it's Korean BBQ - so you might be safe

Tipsy/Icon

Gonna do a Prime Rib on Xmas, and I have that little packet of yum you sent out with the t-shirts. If I were to do a 6-7lb (5-6 bones) for 10, what else would I want to add for a rub?

Oven/Maybe Grill.

Thanks!!

Ok, wife got me a trip to Nola. Please, please tell me you will be open January 18-21

Staying at Maison St Charles

Tipsy/Icon

Gonna do a Prime Rib on Xmas, and I have that little packet of yum you sent out with the t-shirts. If I were to do a 6-7lb (5-6 bones) for 10, what else would I want to add for a rub?

Oven/Maybe Grill.

Thanks!!
Tipsy will need to answer this, sorry GB.

AcerFC said:
Ok, wife got me a trip to Nola. Please, please tell me you will be open January 18-21

Staying at Maison St Charles
Damn man we are just gonna miss ya. Have about 15-20 people coming down via train for a birthday thing jan 3-5th.

Thanks TF. PM me if you think there is anything you think is an absolute must. Ill start looking through that thread

Two Run Farms is a local lamb, goat, and beef producer. They kill on mondays and deliver on tuesdays. I am going to have a night featuring their happy grass fed animals, and perhaps add something from them on the menu at least at night to draw on the Farm to Fork folks. We can also go all local vegetables for the sides and have a really cool night...but it will be much more expensive. I resisted this trend when I opened here because I knew I couldn't afford an ounce of waste. If I dedicate a whole night, limited menu, and target all the farmers market crowd I believe it will be not only worth it, but something pretty special.

On the smoker for a test run from Two Run Farm:

Prime Rib (two bone..horseradish & spice crusted)

Brisket

Beef Short Ribs

Lamb Ribs

Leg of Lamb (moroccan spiced)

Lunch / Dinner should be pretty good this evening!

I wouldn't buy grass fed product that doesn't have at least a 20 day hang time. The term toothsome comes to mind. Lamb is a bit different though and you could get away with it, but that beef is gonna be rangey as hell and difficult to do anything but a braise on.

Good luck with it buddy! I share some of culdeus distaste for unaged grass fed beef, however if anyone can get it "right" I'm sure you'll do it!

I have no idea how long they hang beef from Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil, but it is absolutely amazing. And raised without extra hormones on grass and grass only.

I wouldn't buy grass fed product that doesn't have at least a 20 day hang time. The term toothsome comes to mind. Lamb is a bit different though and you could get away with it, but that beef is gonna be rangey as hell and difficult to do anything but a braise on.
the lamb ribs I just ate were tender, juicy, and some of the best lamb i've eaten. And maybe I'm wrong about the time before butchering & shipping. I know they process every Monday...didn't think about hang time.

the two bone prime rib I did this morning was great as well....lots more smoke penetrated than I thought would. I needed to pull it out earlier so I could give it 10 minutes under the broiler for a better crust, but overall pretty damn awesome if i do say so myself.

still blown away by how good those lamb ribs were....the lamb itself is some of the best quality i've eaten. American raised is so far superior to imported its like a totally different meat.

Some of the best lamb I ever had was at a churrascaria in Punta Arenas, Chile. For those of you that don't know about Southern Chile, suffice to say the sheep outnumber the humans by a wide margin. Not smoked though, slow grilled over a wood fire.

Mmmmm, good times.

More than willing to try American lamb, though. Off hand I'd guess that it is the process of freezing for shipment that detracts from the taste rather than the meat itself, but I am not an expert in these matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
the two bone prime rib I did this morning was great as well....lots more smoke penetrated than I thought would. I needed to pull it out earlier so I could give it 10 minutes under the broiler for a better crust, but overall pretty damn awesome if i do say so myself.

still blown away by how good those lamb ribs were....the lamb itself is some of the best quality i've eaten. American raised is so far superior to imported its like a totally different meat.
People talk about spring lamb because they associate it with jesus dying in the spring and all that bull####, but lamb that is killed in November and eaten in december is the best because it is finished on clover and alfalfa. Lamb killed in the spring is finished on dry hay and just the early shoots which are not nutritious.

People talk about spring lamb because they associate it with jesus dying in the spring and all that bull####, but lamb that is killed in November and eaten in december is the best because it is finished on clover and alfalfa. Lamb killed in the spring is finished on dry hay and just the early shoots which are not nutritious.
you know more about meat and batteries than anyone else i know or iknow

Some of the best lamb I ever had was at a churrascaria in Punta Arenas, Chile. For those of you that don't know about Southern Chile, suffice to say the sheep outnumber the humans by a wide margin. Not smoked though, slow grilled over a wood fire.

Mmmmm, good times.

More than willing to try American lamb, though. Off hand I'd guess that it is the process of freezing for shipment that detracts from the taste rather than the meat itself, but I am not an expert in these matters.
how is that not considered "smoked"?

Mmmmm, good times.

how is that not considered "smoked"?
because smoking is different than cooking over direct heat....

Users who are viewing this thread