What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McClure's BBQ (1 Viewer)

Suffice to say,another way to look at it is with all this Media attention for McClures, the MIM BBQfest Booth will be getting a lot more attention come Memphis in May. :lol:

I gotta think having a massive 3 story, 3000 sq foot hot-spot of a booth in the heart of the World's Largest BBQ Competition with 100,000 BBQ Junkie attendees isn't going to have a NEGATIVE impact on Neil's business going forward, either!

Congrats buddy, ya earned it :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Man....another tv show lined up and a short filming session with a pbs web series tomorrow. the next tv show should be about the biggest positive thing to ever happen to me professionally...but I'm assuming a lot. Cannot mention the show or host so if you know please keep it quite. I will hint...y'all probably know the host but the concept is brand new and i'm one of the first episodes. A national tv commercial is how I see it panning out....

Meanwhile.....Here comes my largest catering order yet thanks to a recommendation from FBG cactus to some folks visiting from Arizona that brought a friend in getting married. She loved the food.

And the last three weeks have now surpassed my opening 3 weeks average. I didn't think i would get back to that level until my 2nd or 3rd year. It has been a painful last 6 months, but light is starting to shine at the end of the tunnel. Sunday was our largest crowd yet. I finally need more help here!

Now...I have to clean my 3 & 4th case of collard greens for the week.
This is awesome Tipsy.

Will look forward to seeing whatever it is.

Man....another tv show lined up and a short filming session with a pbs web series tomorrow. the next tv show should be about the biggest positive thing to ever happen to me professionally...but I'm assuming a lot. Cannot mention the show or host so if you know please keep it quite. I will hint...y'all probably know the host but the concept is brand new and i'm one of the first episodes. A national tv commercial is how I see it panning out....

Meanwhile.....Here comes my largest catering order yet thanks to a recommendation from FBG cactus to some folks visiting from Arizona that brought a friend in getting married. She loved the food.

And the last three weeks have now surpassed my opening 3 weeks average. I didn't think i would get back to that level until my 2nd or 3rd year. It has been a painful last 6 months, but light is starting to shine at the end of the tunnel. Sunday was our largest crowd yet. I finally need more help here!

Now...I have to clean my 3 & 4th case of collard greens for the week.
Congrats, man. Very happy and insanely jealous, all at the same time. :hifive:

:hifive:

Please let us know when we can buy rub. I'm having my baseball draft and would love to smoke wings with your rub

Or PM me if you want to sell it on the dl

Suffice to say,another way to look at it is with all this Media attention for McClures, the MIM BBQfest Booth will be getting a lot more attention come Memphis in May. :lol:

I gotta think having a massive 3 story, 3000 sq foot hot-spot of a booth in the heart of the World's Largest BBQ Competition with 100,000 BBQ Junkie attendees isn't going to have a NEGATIVE impact on Neil's business going forward, either!

I just got chills reading that for some reason. Just awesome seeing the business do so well.

I'm so excited for my first McClure's experience next week! I am going to order an outrageous amount of smoked meat.

I just got chills reading that for some reason. Just awesome seeing the business do so well.

I'm so excited for my first McClure's experience next week! I am going to order an outrageous amount of smoked meat.

1st time i've come in (albeit I was in an hour early...but still) and had staff still here working and fire still rolling. Mardi Gras + catering is gonna wear my butt out. Just fire up the "small" pit so I can cook enough meat to cover.

When did the restaurant open up? Just wondering how long it took you to reach this point.
just a touch over 6 months now. I've been close to maxing out the big pit on the weekends for the last month.

Today the pit has been maxed out since 3 am yesterday (its 4 am here now) and it will be full until we finish for tonight around 10 pm....unless today is bigger than planned then we will just keep going. These two weeks pay for July when it is :crickets:

(edited to say....:i think)

When did the restaurant open up? Just wondering how long it took you to reach this point.
just a touch over 6 months now. I've been close to maxing out the big pit on the weekends for the last month.

Today the pit has been maxed out since 3 am yesterday (its 4 am here now) and it will be full until we finish for tonight around 10 pm....unless today is bigger than planned then we will just keep going. These two weeks pay for July when it is :crickets:

6 months? Well done.

6 months? Well done.
I prefer medium rare.

39.5 hours from Friday to yesterday afternoon at the restaurant......time to chill out today. Rain dampened the parades yesterday, but we still fed 200. No comparison to the 500 we fed on Saturday (thank you cactus for the 250 person catering order you influenced) for our largest shift yet...

Fire rolled 55 straight hours this weekend...that was fun. No to reset and do it all again....with 4x the number of parades coming by my door and all of the major ones lined up 2 blocks away... I'm renting a refrigerated truck for storage :)

Awesome! I've got to get back down there for Mardi Gras again one year, but I can't wait for French Quarter Fest in April and to finally check out McClure's.

39.5 hours from Friday to yesterday afternoon at the restaurant......time to chill out today. Rain dampened the parades yesterday, but we still fed 200. No comparison to the 500 we fed on Saturday (thank you cactus for the 250 person catering order you influenced) for our largest shift yet...

Fire rolled 55 straight hours this weekend...that was fun. No to reset and do it all again....with 4x the number of parades coming by my door and all of the major ones lined up 2 blocks away... I'm renting a refrigerated truck for storage :)
What are your techniques for keeping everything "ready to serve?" The best BBQ restaurants are always the ones that are able to make their food seem like it just came off the pit when clearly that isn't the case. The meat is done when it's done whether or not the patron is ready to eat. I've always been curious how a successful joint like yours is keeping your ribs, chicken, and brisket taste fresh when it's ordered.

I know cooking everything fresh the night before without using "yesterday's food" was part of your early business plan. I hope this is still going well. I imagine that is the most difficult part of running a BBQ restaurant.

Congratulations on your accomplishments.

Can't speak for Tipsy but I'll say that one thing I've seen some pitmasters do for restaurant use is staggered starts on items like Ribs.

Accurately anticipating demand with BBQ is even more critical than most restaurants due to the long cook times (high waste will kill you on food costs). Anticipating that demand accurately allows you to somewhat stagger-start items like ribs that don't hold quite as well... of course this only works if you have the time to pull them off in waves as they finish, vs in one large batch.

That said,pulled shoulder holds VERY well comparatively. They simply hold for hours intact/wrapped then are cracked and pulled as they are needed.

Brisket is the hardest to keep right. I normally only make one or two per shift (more on the weekends) and hold them in a cooler wrapped in a towel until needed. Good for about 4 to 5 hours. During slicing time is the worst...I wish I had a place to put it under a heat lamp for when we have a lull in orders. I will "86" it when it starts going south temp wise. Makes good jambalaya leftover.

Butts are easy as Icon suggested.

Ribs hold well in the oven, but a staggered time for firing is best.

Chicken has 3 hours of holding in oven before we make them into jambalaya fixings or a soup.

Sausage holds forever...sort of.

The sides are just as tricky. We keep cheese sauce warm, dunk cooked pasta in a hot water bath, and mix together in small batches...otherwise it gets nasty quick.

Having an Alto Sham would be the best thing I could purchase to keep my food hot & moist. Sadly I have no room. I'll make room eventually.

My style of bbq is difficult to maintain, but it is what separates us from places like corkys where they have mastered the reheat.

Those of us that can tell reheated from fresh (when done right) is a very small % of the population...much like when I was at Dante's with the wines.

Brisket is the hardest to keep right. I normally only make one or two per shift (more on the weekends) and hold them in a cooler wrapped in a towel until needed. Good for about 4 to 5 hours. During slicing time is the worst...I wish I had a place to put it under a heat lamp for when we have a lull in orders. I will "86" it when it starts going south temp wise. Makes good jambalaya leftover.

Chicken has 3 hours of holding in oven before we make them into jambalaya fixings or a soup.

The sides are just as tricky. We keep cheese sauce warm, dunk cooked pasta in a hot water bath, and mix together in small batches...otherwise it gets nasty quick.

Having an Alto Sham would be the best thing I could purchase to keep my food hot & moist. Sadly I have no room. I'll make room eventually.

My style of bbq is difficult to maintain, but it is what separates us from places like corkys where they have mastered the reheat.

Those of us that can tell reheated from fresh (when done right) is a very small % of the population...much like when I was at Dante's with the wines.
Be careful, the self-importance is creeping back in. ;)

Reheated wine? :yucky:

:thumbup:

Have you considered slicing brisket in half and refoiling/wrapping one half while slicing the other? Or is it one of those things where once the outer crust is broken and it's unwrapped, there's no going back?

Have you considered slicing brisket in half and refoiling/wrapping one half while slicing the other? Or is it one of those things where once the outer crust is broken and it's unwrapped, there's no going back?
Damnit, this thread always make me hungry. I haven't been back to New Orleans in a few years and have no clients/business there so this teasing is really not nice to me. I love brisket.

Damnit, this thread always make me hungry. I haven't been back to New Orleans in a few years and have no clients/business there so this teasing is really not nice to me. I love brisket.
Tipsy's brisket is the best I've ever had. Granted, I've not been to Franklin's or Kreuz Market... but still.

There's a place here in KC called Oklahoma Joe's that makes a brisket sandwich called a Z-man. It has brisket, smoked provolone cheese, BBQ sauce, and topped with 2 onion rings.

Now, I'm a BBQ purist, but this sandwich is ridiculously good.

Worked with some New Orleans lawyers on a case the past few weeks. One of the guys lives in Uptown, and I asked him if he had been to McClure's. He said he had and absolutely loved it.

I started to say, "I know the owner," but then stopped myself...not wanting to have to explain the "friend from the internet" thing. Funny little community we have here.

:lmao:

Worked with some New Orleans lawyers on a case the past few weeks. One of the guys lives in Uptown, and I asked him if he had been to McClure's. He said he had and absolutely loved it.

I started to say, "I know the owner," but then stopped myself...not wanting to have to explain the "friend from the internet" thing. Funny little community we have here.

:lmao:
Ha! WHen I introduced Tipsy to my competition BBQ team which is comprised of a lot of my closest friends...

"How do you know neil".

"Fantasy football message board"

"Oh." :mellow:

ChiefD said:
There's a place here in KC called Oklahoma Joe's that makes a brisket sandwich called a Z-man. It has brisket, smoked provolone cheese, BBQ sauce, and topped with 2 onion rings.

I make a brisket cheese steak with sliced brisket, smoked onions & peppers, and a provolone sauce. I top mine with a trip to your cardiologist.

and for the parades i brought on hot dogs for the kids. Let me tell you how good they are with my 4 cheese sauce from the mac & chee and a little of my mayo-less slaw on top.

You're welcome! I spoke with the Father of the Groom yesterday - he told me you did an AWESOME job! He just raved on about every dish, and said that there were quite a few influential (political, law enforcement, lawyers, etc) people at this shindig that were equally impressed.

You owe me a beer...

K

You're welcome! I spoke with the Father of the Groom yesterday - he told me you did an AWESOME job! He just raved on about every dish, and said that there were quite a few influential (political, law enforcement, lawyers, etc) people at this shindig that were equally impressed.

You owe me a beer...

You owe me a beer...

K
i sent two things of rub last week.....beer travels less well in a pint glass. you will have to come here.

and yes...it was a whos who at that party. they even had the hot 8 brass band playing.

thanks again....that lunch your friends came to ended up making my payroll less painful than ever :)

new shtick....i was giving trays of sandwiches to floats as they came by. after many tweets and shares from some folks, i know have 3 floats with orders for food as they pass. hilarious.

ChiefD said:

I make a brisket cheese steak with sliced brisket, smoked onions & peppers, and a provolone sauce. I top mine with a trip to your cardiologist.
You top it with what? I couldn't hear the rest of your post over my aggressive fapping.

ChiefD said:

You top it with what? I couldn't hear the rest of your post over my aggressive fapping.
I've had it twice..it's pretty damn solid

ChiefD said:

I've had it twice..it's pretty damn solid
You are lucky, I've only had EG's aggressive fapping once.

The parades last night rolled by for 4+ hours...on the Wednesday before fat Tuesday....its going to be a loooooong weekend. Tacos & Sandwiches feed nearly 300 in that span. Another 20 hour day yesterday. On the plus side of that, I'm dropping weight like an anorexic teenage girl before prom. 10 #s in a month. Without dieting...just working really hard.

Users who are viewing this thread