What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McClure's BBQ (2 Viewers)

The parades last night rolled by for 4+ hours...on the Wednesday before fat Tuesday....its going to be a loooooong weekend. Tacos & Sandwiches feed nearly 300 in that span. Another 20 hour day yesterday. On the plus side of that, I'm dropping weight like an anorexic teenage girl before prom. 10 #s in a month. Without dieting...just working really hard.
No more portly and self-important. Just self-important!

Congrats, Tipsy. Awesome stuff and very happy for you.

The parades last night rolled by for 4+ hours...on the Wednesday before fat Tuesday....its going to be a loooooong weekend. Tacos & Sandwiches feed nearly 300 in that span. Another 20 hour day yesterday. On the plus side of that, I'm dropping weight like an anorexic teenage girl before prom. 10 #s in a month. Without dieting...just working really hard.
Tell Otis, and Keerock. They're doing Atkins anyway ;)

Man....another tv show lined up and a short filming session with a pbs web series tomorrow.
This whole thread has been like a web-based reality show. It's been great to watch Tipsy's hard work and commitment to excellence turn into such a big success.

However, I am sad to report that this thread is only the #8 result when I googled "portly and self-important." Seems like it should be higher.

Man....another tv show lined up and a short filming session with a pbs web series tomorrow.
This whole thread has been like a web-based reality show. It's been great to watch Tipsy's hard work and commitment to excellence turn into such a big success.

However, I am sad to report that this thread is only the #8 result when I googled "portly and self-important." Seems like it should be higher.
It wasn't even on the first couple pages when I searched. I had to add BBQ to get it at the top, but then Cinnamon O's yelp review was right there at #2.

Man, Tipsy definitely needs to make a t-shirt that says "Portly and Self-important" with the letters engulfed in flames.

Someone make this happen and send it to him.

The_Man said:

#1 on bing

http://www.bing.com/search?q=%22portly+and+self-important%22&qs=n&form=QBLH&pq=%22portly+and+self-important%22&sc=0-0&sp=-1&sk=&cvid=9ce6aad580024a129032e99ca3342b7a

The_Man said:

#1 on bing

http://www.bing.com/search?q=%22portly+and+self-important%22&qs=n&form=QBLH&pq=%22portly+and+self-important%22&sc=0-0&sp=-1&sk=&cvid=9ce6aad580024a129032e99ca3342b7a
Don't surprise me. I see Bing (1) lurking in this thread a lot.

There's a place here in KC called Oklahoma Joe's that makes a brisket sandwich called a Z-man. It has brisket, smoked provolone cheese, BBQ sauce, and topped with 2 onion rings.

Now, I'm a BBQ purist, but this sandwich is ridiculously good.
:goodposting: and the restaurant is located in a friggen gas station.

Man, Tipsy definitely needs to make a t-shirt that says "Portly and Self-important" with the letters engulfed in flames.

Someone make this happen and send it to him.
I would buy one of those. :)
Seconded. XXL I think ;)
This round needs to fit fat guys. My other shirt is hanging in my closet waiting for me to lose 75 pounds. :kicksrock:
The team is looking into a new tri-blend shirt somewhat similar in design but BBQfest themed..

Will be similar tri blend material but from a diff manufacturer that offers thru XXXL I think? XXL for sure.

Will keep everyone posted

There's a place here in KC called Oklahoma Joe's that makes a brisket sandwich called a Z-man. It has brisket, smoked provolone cheese, BBQ sauce, and topped with 2 onion rings.

Had a Z-Man and fries for dinner tonight. :thumbup: Delicious, and I won't need to eat again until Saturday.

DA RAIDERS said:

:goodposting: and the restaurant is located in a friggen gas station.
:goodposting: OK Joe's has three locations now. The original gas station one is still there going strong, IIRC the only restaurant Anthony Bourdain visited twice for "No Reservations". Added one out in the suburbs/prairie a few years ago; not as much character as the original, but the same menu in a nice, big space with lots of tables and TVs. A third one went up in a swanky part of town in the last year or so.

I make a brisket cheese steak with sliced brisket, smoked onions & peppers, and a provolone sauce. I top mine with a trip to your cardiologist.
My Link

bryhamm said:
How weird is it that I get a big ole grin when I read an update from tipsy?
that is very cool....the support from the FFA has been awesome. I've shared more about this process here than with even my wife.

400 customers ate from here last night....520 for the entire day. Not bad for 36 seats....

Sold at least 300 tacos yesterday. They are have been very well received.

bryhamm said:
How weird is it that I get a big ole grin when I read an update from tipsy?
that is very cool....the support from the FFA has been awesome. I've shared more about this process here than with even my wife.
got any lamb today?
nah..my pit room/storage/energy were unavailable .... I don't think they are slaughtering either.
i hear ya....will be in the area around lunchtime, might swing by really quick for a bite :excited:

A new smokehouse opened right by my work. Very eager to try it, but I drive by at 7:30 every morning and see no smoke coming from anywhere.

400 customers ate from here last night....520 for the entire day. Not bad for 36 seats....

What's the taco? I don't think you elaborated on that and you better not tell your wife before you tell us.

I will add that there is a tapas type restaurant a couple friends, my wife and I went to here in Charlotte that served a pork taco, which was basically a piece of Asian glazed pork on a small tortilla with this watermelon salsa and it was ridiculously good. If it was anything like that, I would be all in. When it came to the table, it didn't really look like much, tortilla, pork and a piece of watermelon, but damn if it wasn't one of the best things I ever ate. I found it: LINK

What's the taco? I don't think you elaborated on that and you better not tell your wife before you tell us.

I will add that there is a tapas type restaurant a couple friends, my wife and I went to here in Charlotte that served a pork taco, which was basically a piece of Asian glazed pork on a small tortilla with this watermelon salsa and it was ridiculously good. If it was anything like that, I would be all in. When it came to the table, it didn't really look like much, tortilla, pork and a piece of watermelon, but damn if it wasn't one of the best things I ever ate. I found it: LINK
Pork Belly, you can't go wrong, it does look good. Otoh, I dont give a #### if that sits on a tortilla. That's not a taco.

ETA: That'd not salsa either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pork Belly, you can't go wrong, it does look good. Otoh, I dont give a #### if that sits on a tortilla. That's not a taco.

Well, either way, it was fantastic and I would love to see what Tipsy puts in his tacos.

I'm a firm believer that most leftover (any type of food) taste better on a warm flour tortilla
Agreed. Fajitas have always been one of my favorite foods and I am not a big hard taco guy. My kids love them, but I'll take a warm tortilla every day. There are 2 things I miss after moving from northern VA to Charlotte, Wegmans and Rio Grande (they changed the name to Uncle Julio's). That was my favorite place to go and the tortillas for the fajitas were always good and piping hot, just made everything delicious.

It may be sacrilege, but I just thought about somehow getting some of that brisket and making fajitas out of it. Damnit, going to have to grab something good for lunch.

Somehow, someway, I need to get back to NOLA.

Well, either way, it was fantastic and I would love to see what Tipsy puts in his tacos.
Sig worthy.

I'm a firm believer that most leftover (any type of food) taste better on a warm flour tortilla
Agreed. Fajitas have always been one of my favorite foods and I am not a big hard taco guy. My kids love them, but I'll take a warm tortilla every day. There are 2 things I miss after moving from northern VA to Charlotte, Wegmans and Rio Grande (they changed the name to Uncle Julio's). That was my favorite place to go and the tortillas for the fajitas were always good and piping hot, just made everything delicious.

It may be sacrilege, but I just thought about somehow getting some of that brisket and making fajitas out of it. Damnit, going to have to grab something good for lunch.

Love Rio Grande. Always go to the one in Reston Town Center. If you haven't been there in a while. You would be shocked at how much change there is in that area. Tons of new buildings. I can remember way back to when the area across the street from RG was a huge parking lot. I have always liked watching the tortilla making machine in the lobby. Kids like getting some of the tortilla dough to play with. Love the oriental restaurant across the street too, called Big Bowl.

A new smokehouse opened right by my work. Very eager to try it, but I drive by at 7:30 every morning and see no smoke coming from anywhere.
Either they have an amazing smoke control system, or there is no way in hell I'd eat there.

:lol:

It's funny, some days when I don't have leftovers, I'll bring a Frozen dinner in from the house...heat it up, and pour the entire thing into a Tortilla. Makes the crap bearable. :yes:

My Tacos: We aren't doing anything earth shattering....we grill off a yellow corn tortilla, stuff it with our smoked meats, and let you go to the topping bar. @ the bar: cilantro, limes, onions, pico de gallo, chopped escobeche (housed pickled carrots, onions, and jalapenos with thyme ), raw chopped jalapenos, slaw, queso fresco crumbles, and 3 salsas...verde, rojo, and FIYA.

The smoked meat is why they rock harder than even most taco trucks around here I must say....

My Tacos: We aren't doing anything earth shattering....we grill off a yellow corn tortilla, stuff it with our smoked meats, and let you go to the topping bar. @ the bar: cilantro, limes, onions, pico de gallo, chopped escobeche (housed pickled carrots, onions, and jalapenos with thyme ), raw chopped jalapenos, slaw, queso fresco crumbles, and 3 salsas...verde, rojo, and FIYA.

The smoked meat is why they rock harder than even most taco trucks around here I must say....
:wub: God I love a fresh corn tortilla

Sig worthy.
I knew it wouldn't take long for that. ;)

Love Rio Grande. Always go to the one in Reston Town Center. If you haven't been there in a while. You would be shocked at how much change there is in that area. Tons of new buildings. I can remember way back to when the area across the street from RG was a huge parking lot. I have always liked watching the tortilla making machine in the lobby. Kids like getting some of the tortilla dough to play with. Love the oriental restaurant across the street too, called Big Bowl.
Been almost 8 years since the move. Went back a few years later, but my wife has brought the kids back a few times to see friends. I was there when the Rio Grande was the end of it and then saw them add the Andersen or Accenture (can't recall which part it was) building, Morton's and most of that section. I assume there is even more. Big Bowl was already there as well before I left, but I think we left pretty soon after all that was added.

Rio Grande was one of our staples, loved the chips and salsa even with the wait sometimes. The thing they had that I rarely find elsewhere was the dark brown marinade/grilling results when I would get the combo fajitas. That "sauce" on the bottom was divine and I would scrape it up on the bottom of the tortilla for a flavor explosion in my mouth (softball for kee).

Damn sounds good.

Had the brisket sandwich today :thumbup:

Each time I've gone (this was maybe my 5th give or take), I've gotten the pork and pork and beans. Today were the best ones yet.

Going to be in NOLA for Nov 5-7th for a tradeshow.

1) I MAY just have to bring the office crew by McClure's for dinner one night...

1) I MAY Just have to stretch it into a social weekend....

Yeah... those are both happening.

Had the brisket sandwich today :thumbup:

Each time I've gone (this was maybe my 5th give or take), I've gotten the pork and pork and beans. Today were the best ones yet.
You really need to come up to BBQfest one year :hot:
i'll make it one year...it's definitely on the list. gotta wait til the kids get older though
I am going to do it. For now, put me down for a portly and self-important team shirt.

Users who are viewing this thread