What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Case Against Global-Warming Skepticism (1 Viewer)

We have to get over this as a debatable issue. We need to reach a point where global warming skeptics are treated with the same amount of respect as Holocaust deniers or Young Earth Creationists. I think that has to happen before we can move forward, otherwise conservatives who are normally reasonable on any other issue will block any steps to try and solve this issue.

We have to get over this as a debatable issue. We need to reach a point where global warming skeptics are treated with the same amount of respect as Holocaust deniers or Young Earth Creationists. I think that has to happen before we can move forward, otherwise conservatives who are normally reasonable on any other issue will block any steps to try and solve this issue.
:lmao:

:lmao:
You know, though I often disagree with you, jonessed, I think you're a very smart guy, and pretty reasonable on most issues. If there is to be movement on global warming, you're the sort of guy that needs to be convinced. You and others like you have to come to accept the science.

I'm all for ceasing all climate research and dumping all that money into basic materials and alternative energy research. If this is a given there is no need to continue this discipline. We should pour it all into the areas likely to generate a solution.

these comparisons are bad, and don't help the debate.

I don't want to help the debate.

America is stuck right now, divided almost straight down the middle between the two parties. It's extremely difficult for either side to get anything of consequence done. So my main fear in terms of this issue is that by the time we get our act together, it will be too late to do anything about it. (Some people believe we're already past that point.)

So we can argue and have this debate for years to come and the net result is that the skeptics will win because NOTHING WILL BE DONE.

One thing we definitely know is true of human psychology is that we're way more likely to accept bad arguments or false statements of fact that support our current beliefs than we are to accept bad arguments or false statements of fact that contradict our current beliefs.
Cute experiment related to this: When an education plan was pitched as "the Democrats' education plan," Democrats supported it 75%-17%, and Republicans opposed it 13%-78%. When the exact same plan was pitched as "the Republicans’ education plan," Democrats opposed it 80%-12% and Republicans supported it 70%-10%.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to help the debate.America is stuck right now, divided almost straight down the middle between the two parties. It's extremely difficult for either side to get anything of consequence done. So my main fear in terms of this issue is that by the time we get our act together, it will be too late to do anything about it. (Some people believe we're already past that point.)

So we can argue and have this debate for years to come and the net result is that the skeptics will win because NOTHING WILL BE DONE.
Didn't all your wonderful leaders just set a date 85 years into the future that fossil fuels will be eliminated?

You are the most horrible person on the planet. Just kidding, but that is o e of the worst posts ever, no kidding. Which is ashame because it was just after MT's post which provided some interesting points of discussion.

Let's look at states who are doing 'something' . I just visited California and noticed how much higher gas prices are there. It appears the state has implemented a global warming tax on energy to help save the world. Of course the roads are still packed full and people are not driving less. So all they are really accomplishing is raising tax revenues in a way which disproportionately impacts the middle class and poor. But being against idiotic dishonest policies puts you in the 'denier' camp where you should be ridiculed and perhaps beheaded.

One thing we definitely know is true of human psychology is that we're way more likely to accept bad arguments or false statements of fact that support our current beliefs than we are to accept bad arguments or false statements of fact that contradict our current beliefs.
Cute experiment related to this: When an education plan was pitched as "the Democrats' education plan," Democrats supported it 75%-17%, and Republicans opposed it 13%-78%. When the exact same plan was pitched as "the Republicans’ education plan," Democrats opposed it 80%-12% and Republicans supported it 70%-10%.
It's a meaningless experiment. You are given two vague options that are both equally appealing to most people and plausably supported by either party. The only revelatory piece of information is which party supports which. Of course you're going to side with whichever party you're aligned with.

Let's look at states who are doing 'something' . I just visited California and noticed how much higher gas prices are there. It appears the state has implemented a global warming tax on energy to help save the world. Of course the roads are still packed full and people are not driving less. So all they are really accomplishing is raising tax revenues in a way which disproportionately impacts the middle class and poor. But being against idiotic dishonest policies puts you in the 'denier' camp where you should be ridiculed and perhaps beheaded.
Because gas prices has absolutely nothing do do with purchase and spend behaviour, right.

http://nypost.com/2015/02/28/cheaper-gas-prices-give-suv-sales-a-surge/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/news/industry-news/are-gas-prices-fuelling-a-surge-in-pickup-truck-and-suv-sales/article23045700/

http://www.sacbee.com/opinion/op-ed/bruce-maiman/article7594115.html

All you have to believe in is cause and effect to understand that humans contribute in some fashion to the course of warming/cooling. However, you have to know a HECK of a lot more than we currently do before we can realistically do anything about it.

Things we still really don't know:

What is best, warmer, colder, or status quo. Status quo is clearly least risky as it is tested, but it may not be best.

How to regulate global temperatures... we really have no clue.

Which factors of humanities impact have the strongest impact on global warming... most assume carbon emissions, but I contend the jury remains out on that to this day

I staunchly oppose actions until those above questions can be definitively answered. In the meantime, we should be funding WAY more research than we are.

It's a meaningless experiment. You are given two vague options that are both equally appealing to most people and plausably supported by either party. The only revelatory piece of information is which party supports which. Of course you're going to side with whichever party you're aligned with.
I liked MTs post before reading the article, came away with the same impression.

Seems obvious the participants weren't aware of (didn't bother to figure out) the "Plan" they were responding to/about. If people aren't aware of what they are voting for.. naturally they will fall which ever way they tend to lean.

Because gas prices has absolutely nothing do do with purchase and spend behaviour, right.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/news/industry-news/are-gas-prices-fuelling-a-surge-in-pickup-truck-and-suv-sales/article23045700/

Why do you hate trucks? :confused:

I liked MTs post before reading the article, came away with the same impression.

Seems obvious the participants weren't aware of (didn't bother to figure out) the "Plan" they were responding to/about. If people aren't aware of what they are voting for.. naturally they will fall which ever way they tend to lean.
It does not make the experiment meaningless though. It exposes how people might develop views of an issue before they really understand the issue.

All you have to believe in is cause and effect to understand that humans contribute in some fashion to the course of warming/cooling. However, you have to know a HECK of a lot more than we currently do before we can realistically do anything about it.

Things we still really don't know:

What is best, warmer, colder, or status quo. Status quo is clearly least risky as it is tested, but it may not be best.

How to regulate global temperatures... we really have no clue.

Which factors of humanities impact have the strongest impact on global warming... most assume carbon emissions, but I contend the jury remains out on that to this day

I staunchly oppose actions until those above questions can be definitively answered. In the meantime, we should be funding WAY more research than we are.
The is always benefit to maintaining the status quo as it does not require changes which inherently have some costs associated with them. So it is easy being chicken little and run around with all kinds of scary scenarios which they really have no clue if it will actually happen.

Did you read any of what MT just posted?

Did you read any of what MT just posted?
Good morning. I did yes.

Agree the 97% number is WAY overused, and rarely used in the right context.
And the misrepresentation is totally unnecessary because even though the paper that the 97% figure came from didn't say anything about humans being a major cause of global warming, my understanding is that there are other lines of evidence suggesting that the number of climate scientists who think that humans are a major cause is indeed greater than 90 percent. That's still a pretty good consensus, so there's no real need to embellish.
And by 'major' what did they mean? What there is consensus on is a pretty vague concept. Yes, temps are rising. Yes, man-made greenhouse gases are contributing. But there is no consensus on how much or what the impacts will be. And what little consensus that might exists on those topics are colored by computer models which we know are primitive in their understanding of global climate. Really, the impact of water vapor and the resulting types of cloud cover are such a huge unknown and driving factor that it is impossible to have any confidence in the accuracy of any of the predicted results. Does that put me in the denier "wrong" camp for stating facts and being skeptical with well-reasoned and informed opinions?

And the misrepresentation is totally unnecessary because even though the paper that the 97% figure came from didn't say anything about humans being a major cause of global warming, my understanding is that there are other lines of evidence suggesting that the number of climate scientists who think that humans are a major cause is indeed greater than 90 percent. That's still a pretty good consensus, so there's no real need to embellish.
And by 'major' what did they mean? What there is consensus on is a pretty vague concept. Yes, temps are rising. Yes, man-made greenhouse gases are contributing. But there is no consensus on how much or what the impacts will be. And what little consensus that might exists on those topics are colored by computer models which we know are primitive in their understanding of global climate. Really, the impact of water vapor and the resulting types of cloud cover are such a huge unknown and driving factor that it is impossible to have any confidence in the accuracy of any of the predicted results. Does that put me in the denier "wrong" camp for stating facts and being skeptical with well-reasoned and informed opinions?
I would say yes it does.

I would say yes it does.
Of course you would, but yet you have no idea and can not articulate what is wrong with anything I said.

Of course I can. You stated there is no consensus on what the impact will be. That's true only to the extent that there is no consensus on how BAD it will be: either really really bad or catastrophic. You diss the computer models as you always do, and then offer reasons for climate change other than our use of fossil fuels which goes against what has become a clear scientific consensus. And your acknowledgment that climate change is happening is in contradiction of many of your earlier posts in which you attempted to claim that the so called "pause" in recent years proved that it was NOT happening. You're all over the map in this; your only consistent theme is skepticism. Your arguments are not reasonable and you're definitely in the denier camp.

It does not make the experiment meaningless though. It exposes how people might develop views of an issue before they really understand the issue.
How were they supposed to understand the issue? They were forced to choose between two plans based only on which party supports which plan. The question was designed to elicit the exact response it got.

If they drove 200 mpg I wouldn't. Then they would be a sensible consumer choice.

But nice dodge on the issue

Of course I can. You stated there is no consensus on what the impact will be. That's true only to the extent that there is no consensus on how BAD it will be: either really really bad or catastrophic. You diss the computer models as you always do, and then offer reasons for climate change other than our use of fossil fuels which goes against what has become a clear scientific consensus. And your acknowledgment that climate change is happening is in contradiction of many of your earlier posts in which you attempted to claim that the so called "pause" in recent years proved that it was NOT happening. You're all over the map in this; your only consistent theme is skepticism. Your arguments are not reasonable and you're definitely in the denier camp.
1. Show me somewhere where there is a large consensus of scientists who are convinced the consequences will be bad or catastrophic. Oceans rising might be an item there is consensus on, but I don't know that the consensus is that it will be catastrophic.

2. I gave very specific criticism of why the computer models should be doubted (the impact of the #1 greenhouse gas, water vapor, is not known whether it will negatively or positively impact temperature).

3. I have no idea what the 3rd item I highlighted means or is referring to. It seemed to be a tactic to gloss over item #2 and made no sense and was an inaccurate characterization of anything I said.

4. Having a pause in the data is not a contradiction to acknowledging the warming that occurred previously. It is an accurate reflection of what has happened the last 17 years.

5. I acknowledge points on both sides. I will readily admit most people speaking on both sides of the issue routinely say dumb things. My skepticism is of points which are grossly overstated or not true or proven yet.

Link to the bolded? What exactly will the consequences be? Are there any positive consequences of climate change?

And, no, I don't believe that there is consensus on exactly what portion of climate change is caused by fossil fuels. No one has yet proven whether it's 25%, 65%, or 95%.

Finally, if you are simply arguing "stop denying!" and not proposing solutions, then you're part of the problem.

If they drove 200 mpg I wouldn't. Then they would be a sensible consumer choice.But nice dodge on the issue
A consumer makes choices that are sensible to himself. Whether that's a hybrid or an Escalade.

The market provides both.

But by all means, nominate and elect what YOU think is the sensible choice for ALL consumers.

If they drove 200 mpg I wouldn't. Then they would be a sensible consumer choice.

Remind me what was the issue? Most energy use is not impacted by increase costs. There is some discretionary use that will be impacted and if made painful enough will force people to seek alternatives. I am not sure if the surge in truck sales is due to lower gas prices or an improving economy. Probably I combination of both. My point was not that there was no impact to behavior, but the policy is largely ineffective and the cost is borne disproportionately to the middle class and poor. It will take a large increase in taxes to have a significant impact on behavior and will really put a squeeze on the poor. Minimal impact and lots of pain = bad policy.

Link to the bolded? What exactly will the consequences be? Are there any positive consequences of climate change?

And, no, I don't believe that there is consensus on exactly what portion of climate change is caused by fossil fuels. No one has yet proven whether it's 25%, 65%, or 95%.
just curious, but what would you accept as proof?

Tough to answer, unfortunately.

Accurate predictions of future climate would be a real good start. They are good at explaining why their models were wrong.

jon_mx, on 10 Jun 2015 - 03:30 AM, said:

The goal in California is to get 50% of our energy from renewable sources and cut oil use 50% by 2030.

The result of these gas taxes is that California buys more hybrid and electric cars than the rest of the country - California buys 1/2 of all electric cars, 1/4 of all Prius' and it's the best selling car in the state.

agree, and it bothers me when the "you can't prove it!" argument is made. if you can't give an example of evidence that would convince you, then you can't be convinced.

agree, and it bothers me when the "you can't prove it!" argument is made. if you can't give an example of evidence that would convince you, then you can't be convinced.
Well, the bolded is just silly.

how? If you can be convinced, tell me what would convince you?

The goal in California is to get 50% of our energy from renewable sources and cut oil use 50% by 2030.

The result of these gas taxes is that California buys more hybrid and electric cars than the rest of the country - California buys 1/2 of all electric cars, 1/4 of all Prius' and it's the best selling car in the state.
Is that a result of the taxes or is that a fad of the location? Seems like it is part of the mentality of Californians. You increase gas taxes in Missouri, there will not be a big rush to trade their pickups for a Prius.

Did anyone post the link about how the "pause" in global warming was mostly due to the measurement methods being flawed from the ocean buoys temp sensors having some sort of offset?

Remind me what was the issue? Most energy use is not impacted by increase costs. There is some discretionary use that will be impacted and if made painful enough will force people to seek alternatives. I am not sure if the surge in truck sales is due to lower gas prices or an improving economy. Probably I combination of both. My point was not that there was no impact to behavior, but the policy is largely ineffective and the cost is borne disproportionately to the middle class and poor. It will take a large increase in taxes to have a significant impact on behavior and will really put a squeeze on the poor. Minimal impact and lots of pain = bad policy.
Poor people don't drive the numbers for SUVs sales up. So that is not really applicable

High gas prices drive improved gas milage performance, since this is a principal issue when buying a vehicle in thse conditions.

I would applaud California for staving off bankruptcy while doing what they can to make transportation more economical.

It seems like a win-win

Is that a result of the taxes or is that a fad of the location? Seems like it is part of the mentality of Californians. You increase gas taxes in Missouri, there will not be a big rush to trade their pickups for a Prius.
Bunch of factors IMO:

- higher gas prices

- people have long commutes

- large tax incentives to buy hybrids

- car pool access even with one person in the car

and finally,

- an attitude that respects people for driving environmentally friendly cars

Difficult to say which is the most important factor but you certainly won't get laughed at for buying a Prius here like you might in some other areas.

Did anyone post the link about how the "pause" in global warming was mostly due to the measurement methods being flawed from the ocean buoys temp sensors having some sort of offset?
yep. And someone asked, wait, what about the measurements from 1890? Were they accurate?

The consensus of the temperature measurement datasets still support the pause. NOAAs latest "adjustments' make them an outlier...

Bunch of factors IMO:

- higher gas prices

- people have long commutes

- large tax incentives to buy hybrids

- car pool access even with one person in the car

and finally,

- an attitude that respects people for driving environmentally friendly cars

Difficult to say which is the most important factor but you certainly won't get laughed at for buying a Prius here like you might in some other areas.
'Murica!

I find it hard to believe they have been knowingly using flawed data all this time and now that they have altered the raw data all the models are honky-dory.

I find it hard to believe they have been knowingly using flawed data all this time and now that they have altered the raw data all the models are honky-dory.
Sounds like how a high school experiment is conducted. The data does not look good, so you come up with an excuse and adjust your data. Of course this is the second explanation, the first one had to do with all the increase getting absorbed by the oceans. I guess that spin was not effective enough, so it is time to fudge the data a bit.

yep. And someone asked, wait, what about the measurements from 1890? Were they accurate?
It is a legitimate concern with the data set. If we are having difficulty measuring global temperature today with access to so much more data and vastly improved technology, what kind of confidence can we have in that data? It seems like the old data would be ripe for manipulations and thus was born the infamous hockey stick graph which was made to perfectly match the theory. Today's data does not match so well.

how? If you can be convinced, tell me what would convince you?
Like the definition of porn, I'll know it when I see it. That doesn't mean it won't ever happen, it means I have yet to see anything that looks like proof.

It would be like asking me how long it would take me to build a car from scratch, by myself. I don't have the foggiest idea. If I built one, I could track the amount of time, and give you an answer afterward.

Users who are viewing this thread