What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

JoJo's Silver Mine (2 Viewers)

Could you provide some detail to the Ebay horror stories?

I was going to begin to simplify the collection I have- selling some 20+ books of circulated Peace Dollars, Eisenhower Silver Dollars, Walking Halves, Mercury Dimes, Canadian Silver Dollars, Halves, Quarters, Dimes.  I also have dozens and dozens of mint proof sets from 1950's-70's, Silver Coin sets from around the world, special collector series (example  I have a few 1988 Calgary Olympic Games 10 sports depicted on 10 $20 Silver coins)-

I'm not in a rush to sell any of this - but figured I could do it on Ebay over the summer.  What are the potential pitfalls?

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I hear, in any dispute, ebay and paypal side with the buyer. That is, you can pack and ship and get a confirmation of delivery and everything, but the buyer can send an email saying "it never showed up" or "the box was full of rocks", and that's it, case closed, their money is refunded and automatically withdrawn back from your account. There is no appeals process, no investigation, nothing. I have heard, in some rare occurrences, which basically involved the seller videotaping the entire process in a single, uninterrupted, take, from boxing the item to applying the label to dropping it off at the shipper (literally, a GoPro attached to the package that never stopped rolling until the package was in the hands of UPS) was able to get an investigation started which determined the buyer called 'fraud' on every purchase he'd ever made over the course of a year, in which the seller did get paid back after about nine months.

That's just the start of it. Some reddit threads have more details, it's a useful resource to peruse if you can find the right subreddits.
People suck.

yeah, but the ebay horror stories all came from some of the dropship/work from home/sidehustle threads.
Ebay cut stings a lot. If you're able to get spot on the bars and a buck over on the ASE from a local shop, that's probably just as good in the long run.

How many ozs you looking to move?

Could you provide some detail to the Ebay horror stories?

I was going to begin to simplify the collection I have- selling some 20+ books of circulated Peace Dollars, Eisenhower Silver Dollars, Walking Halves, Mercury Dimes, Canadian Silver Dollars, Halves, Quarters, Dimes.  I also have dozens and dozens of mint proof sets from 1950's-70's, Silver Coin sets from around the world, special collector series (example  I have a few 1988 Calgary Olympic Games 10 sports depicted on 10 $20 Silver coins)-

I'm not in a rush to sell any of this - but figured I could do it on Ebay over the summer.  What are the potential pitfalls?
I sold 20 oz of silver eagles to an address in Chicago about 5 years ago.  Signed receipt the whole 9 yards.  In the end the sided with the buyer after they said they never got it.

havent sold a thing on e-bay since nor will I ever again.

I sold 20 oz of silver eagles to an address in Chicago about 5 years ago.  Signed receipt the whole 9 yards.  In the end the sided with the buyer after they said they never got it.

Yep. Ebay sucks .

Yep, got robbed of about $300 one time. Never got money back. This was back in '04' or so. Sparked up my eBay account a few years later to sell some things. For whatever reason, my credit card didn't pay my last bill so I still owe them like $50. #### em. 

Ok.  So (for example) - I have a 1924-S Peace Dollar...it's circulated...I see one sold like this on Ebay yesterday for $29.  If I went to a local coin shop - how much could I expect to get from them?

My goal here is to unload these blue books of circulated coins (that kids used to collect in the 1950's), and use those proceeds to just buy  newer uncirculated coins...specific advice appreciated.

Ok.  So (for example) - I have a 1924-S Peace Dollar...it's circulated...I see one sold like this on Ebay yesterday for $29.  If I went to a local coin shop - how much could I expect to get from them?

My goal here is to unload these blue books of circulated coins (that kids used to collect in the 1950's), and use those proceeds to just buy  newer uncirculated coins...specific advice appreciated.
For single, fairly cheap coins, I think that eBay is the only way to go.

First off, you mitigate the risk by spreading across multiple buyers. Second, you're going to get more on eBay than from a coin shop who likely will just turn around and put it on eBay him/herself.

Are the sets complete? If so, what shape is the 34-S in?

Gawain said:
For single, fairly cheap coins, I think that eBay is the only way to go.

First off, you mitigate the risk by spreading across multiple buyers. Second, you're going to get more on eBay than from a coin shop who likely will just turn around and put it on eBay him/herself.

Are the sets complete? If so, what shape is the 34-S in?
Ok.  That makes sense. 

I have all the Peace Dollars except 1928,  I have all the Liberty Walking Halves.  Most of the Mercury Dimes.  All the coins were circulated...collected by my father/grandfather in the 1940s-50s.  I don't know how to grade these things...the 1934-S from a pic on the web I'd call  an Indigo Girl (Closer to Fine) than Good.

Ok.  That makes sense. 

I have all the Peace Dollars except 1928,  I have all the Liberty Walking Halves.  Most of the Mercury Dimes.  All the coins were circulated...collected by my father/grandfather in the 1940s-50s.  I don't know how to grade these things...the 1934-S from a pic on the web I'd call  an Indigo Girl (Closer to Fine) than Good.
Yeah, the 28 is the big Peace dollar, but the 34-S is bigger money as the grades go up. (Goes without saying they can't be cleaned). The 21 Peace can also be worth something depending on condition.

Is the WLH set full mint marks? There are a few heavy hitters there that may be worth grading before selling.

Silver is hovering around $15. I don't have much money and while I'd like to put money in my IRA, buying silver now will lower my per/oz average. Not sure if there is much more movement downward but it's at a low since January of 2016.

Silver is under $15 and you can buy it for under $15 at internet sites. If you’re a first time buyer, you can buy 10 ounces at some sites for spot price. Getting 10oz at spot is a pretty good deal with it this low. I have not taken advantage of that deal yet so this will help my per/oz average if I buy today. 

Silver is under $15 and you can buy it for under $15 at internet sites. If you’re a first time buyer, you can buy 10 ounces at some sites for spot price. Getting 10oz at spot is a pretty good deal with it this low. I have not taken advantage of that deal yet so this will help my per/oz average if I buy today. 
Where you buying?

10oz's are about $150... anyone buying?

Monument Metals is so much cheaper than JM. Monument doesn't have the selection JM does but for bars and new coins... damn they are less expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone buying?
Tubes of ASEs are consistently under $340.

Picked up a couple over the weekend and will likely pick up a couple more if spot stays low.

I'm right at 5% of net worth though in PMs at the moment though, so I either need the market to pick up a little or the price of gold to go down to justify a major purchase.

Tubes of ASEs are consistently under $340.

Picked up a couple over the weekend and will likely pick up a couple more if spot stays low.

I'm right at 5% of net worth though in PMs at the moment though, so I either need the market to pick up a little or the price of gold to go down to justify a major purchase.
ASE's at Monument are $17.60 right now. 10 oz bars come to $15.60 (about). Are ASE's the way to go at these prices?

Buying bars will lower my average but not much unless I buy a bunch, which I can't, and ASE's will lower the average, just not as much. I thought I wanted to go all bars, getting rid of coins, but getting rid of my bars in exchange for ASE's seems like a way to go too. Although, I'd lose some in the exchange, I'm sure.

The Gold-Silver Ratio is flirting with 92, which is the highest it has been in at least 30 years.

Gold has hit $1400 for the first time in a bit. 

Where are people buying their silver these days?  There are so many sites with different premiums would appreciate info on who you use and why?

Most likely ASE, Maples, and the like.

Dug this out from way back. 

Just looked up my purchases from JM Bullion the past few years, which were all in late 2018 -

November 29, 2018 - 10 oz Silver Tube Starter Pack -  $149.79.
December 12, 2018 -  10 oz Sunshine Silver Bar (New - $160.00.
December 18, 2018 -  6  2016 1 oz Australian Silver Kangaroo Coin (BU) $17.92 ea.

Looking good, and safe.  Paid 417.31, Silver spot content now $663.26, Approximate JM Bullion price now $788.44

Users who are viewing this thread