What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2012 Hot Stove Thread (4 Viewers)

Eephus

Footballguy
Nov. 18, 2011

Day to file reserve lists for all Major and Minor League levels.

Nov. 23, 2011

Last date for former club to offer salary arbitration to ranked XX(B) free agents in order to be eligible for compensation. Deadline is midnight.

Dec. 1, 2011

Last day to request outright waivers to assign player prior to Rule 5 Draft

Dec. 5, 2011

5 p.m. ET is last time to outright a player prior to the Rule 5 Draft

Dec. 7, 2011

Last date for player who declared free agency to accept an arbitration offer from former club. Deadline is midnight ET

Dec. 5-8, 2011

Baseball Winter Meetings, Dallas

Dec. 8, 2011

Major League Rule 5 Draft, Dallas

Dec. 12, 2011

Last date to tender contracts is midnight ET

Last edited by a moderator:
Prominent Free Agents

Catchers

Ryan Doumit PIT

Ramon Hernandez CIN

Jorge Posada NYY

First Basemen

Prince Fielder MIL

Derrek Lee BAL

David Ortiz BOS

Carlos Pena CHC

Albert Pujols STL

Second Basemen

Craig Counsell MIL

Mark Ellis COL

Carlos Guillen DET

Jerry Hairston Jr. MIL

Omar Infante FLA

Kelly Johnson TOR

Third Basemen

Wilson Betemit DET

Aramis Ramirez CHC

Shortstops

Rafael Furcal STL

Alex Gonzalez ATL

Jose Reyes NYM

Jimmy Rollins PHI

Outfielders

Carlos Beltran SF

Coco Crisp OAK

Michael Cuddyer MIN

Johnny Damon TB

David DeJesus OAK

J.D. Drew BOS

Kosuke Fukudome CLE

Jonny Gomes CIN

Vladimir Guerrero BAL

Raul Ibanez PHI

Conor Jackson OAK

Ryan Ludwick PIT

Hideki Matsui OAK

Juan Pierre CWS

Juan Rivera TOR

Cody Ross SF

Marcus Thames LAD

Josh Willingham OAK

Reserved for Yankees and Red Sox and Marlins acquisitions

Imagine instead of throwing a bunch of money at CJ Wilson, the Rangers throw more money at Albert. That would be one ridiculous lineup.

Imagine instead of throwing a bunch of money at CJ Wilson, the Rangers throw more money at Albert. That would be one ridiculous lineup.
Eventhough it would be a longshot I'd rather see the Rangers put a package together and try to trade for Joey Votto and sign him to an extension. They need another big left handed bat with all the good righties in the al west.. Weaver, Haren, Santana, Hernandez, Pineda, Cahill. I hope they spend their FA money in the Darvish sweepstakes.

i'd like the Tigers to consider Jimmy Rollins. Not a great selection of FAs but with Fielder and Pujols out there, it's gonna be interesting.

i'd like the Tigers to consider Jimmy Rollins. Not a great selection of FAs but with Fielder and Pujols out there, it's gonna be interesting.
I think the Phillies will spend to keep Rollins unless they break the bank for Reyes. They have no organizational depth at SS. The Giants could use someone like Rollins too but I'd rather see someone else overpay for a 33 year old in obvious decline.

I think the Phillies will spend to keep Rollins unless they break the bank for Reyes. They have no organizational depth at SS. The Giants could use someone like Rollins too but I'd rather see someone else overpay for a 33 year old in obvious decline.
But that's Sabean's go-to move.

But that's Sabean's go-to move.
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. With the 2011 season completed, my honeymoon with Sabean is officially over. The gloves are off :boxing:

Eephus- do you think the giants get in on the Fielder, Pujols sweepstakes? You guys are pretty high on Belt?

Eephus- do you think the giants get in on the Fielder, Pujols sweepstakes? You guys are pretty high on Belt?
Sabean and Baer are saying publicly that they don't anticipate team payroll increases. They have to deal with Lincecum and Cain and still have the Zito and Rowand albatrosses on the books.Henry Schulman's blog took about 800 words today to say not much of anything at all.

Between the Fresno shuttle and a wrist injury, it was kind of lost year for Belt. I'd like to see him get his shot.

Well the Tigers technically need a 3Bman not a SS, but Rollins would fit the bill (Peralta to 3B). Overpaying some for Rollins beats having to trade top prospects to bring back a David Wright IMO but either option is acceptable. Tigers need a top of the order bat and someone for the leftside of the infield, whatever it takes I guess without having to trade what has become a good stock of pitching talent in the minors.

'shadyridr said:
Reserved for Yankees and Red Sox acquisitions
im officially on the yu darvish bandwagon. id much rather have him than cj
Darvish's K/BB ratio is spectacular. Think Wilson really hurt his stock this postseason.5 years for 60mill for Darvish with a 40mill posting fee? 20mill/per. Probably what it will take. I'd do that over 18mill/per for Wilson.

Would like to see Angels go after A. Ramirez or sell Rollins on playing 3rd.

M. Buerhle is an interesting SP. Don't see him thriving in A.L. East. Think he will continue to give 200IP with 13-15 wins a year. Put him in Anaheim pitching in A.L. West with starts in Seattle and Oakland and I think he's a great signing at 4-5 years at 14mill per.

Ramirez and Buerhle should be the Angels' targets. The clearing out of the front office leads me to believe they want to be aggressive this offseason. They've missed out on Tex, CC and Crawford in year's past. They have the money to spend.

I also think they will be front and center in the Pujols sweepstakes. Of course signing Pujols would make Ramirez and Buerhle unlikely signings. But a healthy K. Morales could very well bring a SP.

Would like to see Angels go after A. Ramirez or sell Rollins on playing 3rd. M. Buerhle is an interesting SP. Don't see him thriving in A.L. East. Think he will continue to give 200IP with 13-15 wins a year. Put him in Anaheim pitching in A.L. West with starts in Seattle and Oakland and I think he's a great signing at 4-5 years at 14mill per.Ramirez and Buerhle should be the Angels' targets. The clearing out of the front office leads me to believe they want to be aggressive this offseason. They've missed out on Tex, CC and Crawford in year's past. They have the money to spend.I also think they will be front and center in the Pujols sweepstakes. Of course signing Pujols would make Ramirez and Buerhle unlikely signings. But a healthy K. Morales could very well bring a SP.
I mentioned it elsewhere but there have been some murmurs of Anaheim making a push for Jose Reyes.As far as Buerhle...why? Starting pitching is the last thing this team needs. If they had an unlimited budget I'd say go for it. But they need to spend that money on other positions. Like say...a catcher who can hit for power.

Would like to see Angels go after A. Ramirez or sell Rollins on playing 3rd. M. Buerhle is an interesting SP. Don't see him thriving in A.L. East. Think he will continue to give 200IP with 13-15 wins a year. Put him in Anaheim pitching in A.L. West with starts in Seattle and Oakland and I think he's a great signing at 4-5 years at 14mill per.Ramirez and Buerhle should be the Angels' targets. The clearing out of the front office leads me to believe they want to be aggressive this offseason. They've missed out on Tex, CC and Crawford in year's past. They have the money to spend.I also think they will be front and center in the Pujols sweepstakes. Of course signing Pujols would make Ramirez and Buerhle unlikely signings. But a healthy K. Morales could very well bring a SP.
I mentioned it elsewhere but there have been some murmurs of Anaheim making a push for Jose Reyes.As far as Buerhle...why? Starting pitching is the last thing this team needs. If they had an unlimited budget I'd say go for it. But they need to spend that money on other positions. Like say...a catcher who can hit for power.
Well the rotation is very right-handed heavy and their crowded outfield somewhat limits their options. I do think they would be willing to add 25mill/year in FA's.They have Trumbo and hopefully a healthy Morales. Despite that I would go after Pujols then move Morales. Fielder on the other hand? I'd rather stick with Morales, and his attractive salary, then trade him with his value so low.If they can't sign Pujols, which is likely, then I think a power 3B like Ramirez would be the way to go. That would leave them with available funds to go after an SP like Buehrle. Piniero's 8mill/per is also coming off the books.Reyes? I hope not. Chronic hamstring problems for a guy who depends on his legs. Let someone else give him a big money deal. Aybar is more then adequate.Bourjos/TroutAbreau/WellsRamirezMoralesHunterTrumboKendrickAybarConger/Mathis?Nice lineup. Strong up the middle with Aybar and Bourjos/Trout. Great defensive outfield. I'm glad they canned Reagan and the rest of the front office. The Wells trade really screwed this team. Made no sense on any level and may have cost them a division title. An incredible panic move after missing out on Crawford. Having Napoli in Anaheim as oppossed to Texas had to be worth a 3-4 game swing. Scosccia deserves some blame as well.Weaver, Haren, Buerhle and Santana would be an imposing rotation.So my vote is for Rameriz and Buerhle. Unless you can get Pujols. If that was to happen, package Morales and Abreau for some prospects and/or bullpen help.

If you haven't done so I highly reccomend the baseball trade rumors app on iPhone (I think android too). You can setup team or player specific alerts. Info usually as timely as it gets. Also a great follow on twitter if you don't have one of those devices.

Phils will go three with some type of option for a 4th at fair price. All indications are that they wouldn't go 5. Ruben was on 610 the other day and the tone of his comments in regards to Jimmy indicated that he was welcome to get 5 years somewhere else and that the Phils priority was to get Madsen done. If they don't get Rollins....they'll go with Freddie Galvis and a 1 year veteran.

'Thunderlips said:
Phils will go three with some type of option for a 4th at fair price. All indications are that they wouldn't go 5. Ruben was on 610 the other day and the tone of his comments in regards to Jimmy indicated that he was welcome to get 5 years somewhere else and that the Phils priority was to get Madsen done. If they don't get Rollins....they'll go with Freddie Galvis and a 1 year veteran.
That's brave talk from Amaro. The current team has a pretty short window and can't count on a lot from Howard. I haven't seen Galvis but his stats and some lukewarm scouting reports make me question whether he can hit enough to play every day at the MLB level. The Giants have played the short-term veteran strategy for a while and it's not as viable at SS as most other positions. I'm not saying Rollins will stay in Philadelphia but I do think the Phillies will be serious bidders for his services.

The clearing out of the front office leads me to believe they want to be aggressive this offseason. They've missed out on Tex, CC and Crawford in year's past. They have the money to spend.I also think they will be front and center in the Pujols sweepstakes.
The Angels have over 103 mil committed to just 9 players next season, with 6 more due arbitration raises. The owner just came out saying he wanted to keep the payroll to around 130-140 mil after having a team record 142 mil this past season. Sorry to burst your bubble, but they're not going to be major players this offseason.

If you haven't done so I highly reccomend the baseball trade rumors app on iPhone (I think android too). You can setup team or player specific alerts. Info usually as timely as it gets. Also a great follow on twitter if you don't have one of those devices.
Is this the 2.99 app?

Not Hot Stove-related, just something I'm debating with a buddy of mine.

How many starting pitchers in history were better than Randy Johnson? I don't need exact names, just a rough number.

To give away my position, I don't think it would take long at all to call roll before the Unit's name came up.

Not Hot Stove-related, just something I'm debating with a buddy of mine. How many starting pitchers in history were better than Randy Johnson? I don't need exact names, just a rough number.To give away my position, I don't think it would take long at all to call roll before the Unit's name came up.
10 maybe. Maybe.

Is this the 2.99 app?
I don't remember what it cost. I bought it last fall, 2.99 sounds right... I was thinking around $5, but can't remember. It runs off mlbtraderumors.com website.

Sabathia and Aramis Ramirez announce they're going to opt out.

Indians decline option on Grady Sizemore.

Giants pick up $5M option on Jeremy Affeldt and resign Javier Lopez (2/$4.5M)

Here is an interesting take on Yu Darvish's potential. Darvish

The writer takes into account Kuroda, Matsuzaka and Kawakami and how their japanese stats translated over to MLB and then projects for Darvish.

Sounds like Braves dealing Lowe to the Tribe.
Yep.Derek Lowe has been traded to the Indians, reports Jon Heyman of SI.com.Atlanta will receive a Single-A left-handed reliever of little regard and eat $10 million of Lowe's $15 million salary in 2012. Lowe finished this season with a 5.15 ERA and 1.51 WHIP over 34 starts, including a 8.75 ERA over five outings in September. With Tim Hudson, Jair Jurrjens, Tommy Hanson and Brandon Beachy locks for the 2012 rotation and young starters Mike Minor, Randall Delgado and Julio Teheran prepared to battle for the fifth spot, Atlanta was motivated to move Lowe and did so quickly. Cleveland will slot Lowe into a rotation consisting of Justin Masterson, Fausto Carmona, Ubaldo Jimenez and Josh Tomlin, with Carlos Carrasco recovering from Tommy John surgery.

Not Hot Stove-related, just something I'm debating with a buddy of mine. How many starting pitchers in history were better than Randy Johnson? I don't need exact names, just a rough number.To give away my position, I don't think it would take long at all to call roll before the Unit's name came up.
10 maybe. Maybe.
Bob Gibson, Nolan Ryan, Greg Maddux...there's a start.
I'd put Johnson somewhere in the #10-20 range depending on how much emphasis to put on peak or career value. Clemens and Maddux are his only contemporaries who were better.Johnson is better than Gibson or Ryan.

10 maybe. Maybe.
I'd put Johnson somewhere in the #10-20 range depending on how much emphasis to put on peak or career value. Clemens and Maddux are his only contemporaries who were better.Johnson is better than Gibson or Ryan.
Gibson and Ryan are hard to value - but the game of baseball was changed due to Gibson's magical season. As for Ryan, he is my personal favorite and I wonder just how spectacular he would have been if surrounded by talent. His stuff was electric - best I have ever witnessed.

10 maybe. Maybe.
Gibson and Ryan are hard to value - but the game of baseball was changed due to Gibson's magical season. As for Ryan, he is my personal favorite and I wonder just how spectacular he would have been if surrounded by talent. His stuff was electric - best I have ever witnessed.
Ryan walked the ballpark. No way in hell was he a better pitcher than Johnson.And I wouldn't concede Maddux or Gibson. Clemens probably and Walter Johnson almost definitely. Everyone else is pretty much up for debate.

There were a bunch of callers that were trying to argue Ryan as a top five all-time pitcher on Dallas sports radio last year. Thankfully for a change, the radio guy knew his baseball and laughed it off. People always want to throw out Ryan and Gibson when Seaver and Randy were better over their careers. Seaver has to be the most underrated pitcher, maybe even player, in the last half century.

'Eephus said:
'Dr. Awesome said:
CC Sabathia announced he's agreed to an extension with the Yankees.
He goes from 4/$92M to 5/$122M guaranteed with an option (team?) for a 6th year
Option is pure health related. He needs to spend less than 45 days on the DL in the 5th year due to his shoulder.

Clemens and Maddux are his only contemporaries who were better.
Pedro's peak was much, much better than Randy
Pedro's peak was probably the best since Koufax, but just like Koufax his career lacks when looking at non-peak years.
Top 10 qualifying ERA+ seasons . . .RJ: 197, 197, 193, 188, 186, 181, 178, 154, 137, 136 = 1747Pedro: 291, 243, 219, 211, 202, 163, 146, 125, 123, 119 = 1842Obviously the Unit has a much better resume beyond these years . . .

Free Agent Compensation found in the Ask BA at Baseball America

Astros: Clint Barmes (B).

Athletics: Josh Willingham (A), David DeJesus (B).

Blue Jays: Kelly Johnson (A), Shawn Camp (B), Frank Francisco (B), Jose Molina (B), *Jon Rauch (B).

Braves: Alex Gonzalez (B).

Brewers: Prince Fielder (A), Francisco Rodriguez (A), Takashi Saito (A), Yuniesky Betancourt (B).

Cardinals: *Octavio Dotel (A), Albert Pujols (A), *Rafael Furcal (B), Edwin Jackson (B), Arthur Rhodes (B).

Cubs: Carlos Pena (B), Aramis Ramirez (B), Kerry Wood (B).

Diamondbacks: *Aaron Hill (B).

Dodgers: Rod Barajas (B), Hiroki Kuroda (B).

Giants: Carlos Beltran (A), Pat Burrell (B), Cody Ross (B).

Mets: Jose Reyes (A).

Orioles: Vladimir Guerrero (B).

Padres: Heath Bell (A), *Aaron Harang (B).

Phillies: Ryan Madson (A), Roy Oswalt (A), Jimmy Rollins (A), Raul Ibanez (B), Brad Lidge (B).

Pirates: Ryan Doumit (B), Derrek Lee (B), Ryan Ludwick (B), Chris Snyder (B).

Rangers: *Colby Lewis (A) Darren Oliver (A), C.J. Wilson (A).

Rays: *Kyle Farnsworth (A).

Red Sox: David Ortiz (A), Jonathan Papelbon (A), Jason Varitek (B), *Dan Wheeler (B).

Reds: *Francisco Cordero (A), Ramon Hernandez (A), *Brandon Phillips (A).

Rockies: Mark Ellis (B).

Royals: Bruce Chen (B).

Tigers: Wilson Betemit (B), Magglio Ordonez (B).

Twins: Matt Capps (A), Michael Cuddyer (A), Jason Kubel (B).

White Sox: Mark Buehrle (B), *Jason Frasor (B), Juan Pierre (B).

Yankees: *C.C. Sabathia (A), *Rafael Soriano (A), Freddy Garcia (B).

*Option must be declined or opt-out clause exercised to gain free agency.

Clemens and Maddux are his only contemporaries who were better.
Pedro's peak was much, much better than Randy
Pedro's peak was probably the best since Koufax, but just like Koufax his career lacks when looking at non-peak years.
Top 10 qualifying ERA+ seasons . . .RJ: 197, 197, 193, 188, 186, 181, 178, 154, 137, 136 = 1747Pedro: 291, 243, 219, 211, 202, 163, 146, 125, 123, 119 = 1842Obviously the Unit has a much better resume beyond these years . . .
If you look at pitching wins above replacement for those same ten seasons, Johnson totals 71.7 compared to Pedro's 65.6. There's a quantity aspect that has to be included when evaluating pitching seasons. Nine of Johnson's ten years had over 200 IP. In seven of those, Johnson carried a heavier workload than Martinez' busiest season.

Users who are viewing this thread