What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

General Malaise "vs." reading comprehension ; also some talk of skyim and the elder scrolls (1 Viewer)

I killed my 20th dragon earlier today, and I think I've only unlocked 3-4 dragon shouts besides the ones you're given automatically as you progress through the main quest. I keep saving my dragon souls because I'm worried that I'm going to stumble across some sort of awesome shout and not have a soul to unlock it with, but yet I never use any of the shouts I already know.

Also, sneak-attacking unsuspecting enemies with my tricked-out bow has not lost any of its charm. I don't think I'll ever get tired of this.
I accidentially unlocked that animal-calming one (I wasn't going to because it sounded lame.) Tell ya what - I was wrong. It's very useful in avoiding sudden bear and sabre cat deaths. I don't travel w/o that shout queued up.

And I agree - the bow is cool.

I think something is jacked on my Thieves Guild quest

So, I'm at the part where I meet Mercer Frey at Snow Veil Sanctum. I get there, I chat with him, we go to the door and then it says I need a key and we both stand there like idiots. I looked online and it looks like Mercer is supposed to unlock the door, but he doesn't for me. WTF?
I had to go back a few saves...weird.

I also played around with enchanting, but honestly that seems like a waste. Even with a decently-boosted Enchating level (60) and a grand soul gem, the enchantments I creat are still less powerful than stuff I found laying around in dungeons 15 levels ago. Adding 10 points of fire damage to a bow that already does 75 points of damage on it's own is small potatoes, for example. Maybe it would be better if I sunk some perks into this, but I'm just not seeing it.
A grand soul gem or a grand soul? Because a petty soul can exist in a grand soul gem, and if so you're going to get a weak enchantment. (A grand soul, on the other hand, can never exist in a petty soul gem.)But I also think you're right about the perks. I think with all the perks, enchanting could potentially create stuff more powerful than you'll find in a dungeon. Worth the investment? Maybe, maybe not. Probably never worth doing both enchanting *and* smithing.
It was a grand soul. I think you summed up right that it's hard to justify sinking a bunch of perks into both skill trees. It would take at least 10-12 perks to get a lot of mileage out of both Smithing and Enchanting.This is a great game and the developers did a fantastic job overall, but I do think they messed up these two skills a little. It feels really cheesy to sit there and create a million iron daggers as a way of boosting Smithing, and then enchanting them with petty souls to boost Enchanting, but that's pretty much the only way to level up these skills. You would never smith or enchant anywhere near enough stuff in the natural course of play to get either of these skills out of the 30s; you absolutely have to grind/cheese them if you want to be able to craft cool items. And the stuff you can craft really is cool -- it's a shame that it's basically locked away from people who don't want to spend a few boring hours forging iron daggers.
I think I agree. I wonder how different it would be if you could smith any type of armor right out of the gate, but your smithing level determined its quality. Like, I could craft a suit of ebony armor if I had the material at level 1, but it won't have much more effectiveness than iron.On the other hand, every skill has to be "cheesed" a little to get to top level. Sneaking everywhere. Unlocking things fo the hell of it. Running around casting clairvoyance over and over again. Other than combat skills, they all can get levelled by grind/cheese.
But this, at least, is awesome.
This
He used hot keys. The way to hot key a spell is to:

1. Make it favorite in spell menu. On the PC it is the letter F.

2. Press the letter Q for the favorites menu.

3. chose a number between 1-8 for your favorite spells to create a hot key.

HTH

I have been looking around for a new PC, and found one for a decent price--under a grand.

[*]Intel® Core i7-2600S quad-core processor [2.8Ghz, 8MB Shared Cache]

[*]8GB DDR3-1333MHz SODIMM [2 DIMMs] from 6GB

[*]1.5TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 1TB

[*]2GB AMD Radeon HD 6550A
For the computer experts, is this okay to run Skyrim?

Ordered. Arrives December 1st. Anything I need to know? What class/setup should I run? XBOX-360
You don't need to know anything. I picked this game up on XBox 360 after NEVER having played an RPG type game in my life. I picked everything up within a matter of hours and you just figure out things as you go along. That is a lot of the fun, just figuring things out as you go along.The one thing I would say, I guess, is make sure you save frequently.

The NYTs supposedly wrote up a great review of Skyrim.

If any of you have an online subscription, please link the article here for all of us.

Gracias.

Last edited by a moderator:
My PS3 save file is just a hair under 8MB. I'm starting to show some lag just walking around town even. Any idea when the PS3 patch will be out? If it doesn't get fixed, I wonder if I can return this for a full refund (Amazon).

Ordered. Arrives December 1st. Anything I need to know? What class/setup should I run? XBOX-360
This is the type of game that you can play any way you want to, and definitely encourages multiple playthroughs. Personally, I think the best way to get the most out of it is to roleplay a specific type of character. For example, in the beginning say "I want to be a strong two handed-sword swinging warrior who knows a little healing magic and can also forge / upgrade his own weapons". There's also a civil war going on, so you can pick a "law and order" or the "rebels", whichever suits your fancy. Right now, I'm a dual wield sneak/archer who started down a magic path to augment it, but gave it up and is instead focused on enchanting. I'll play again as the warrior-type I mentioned above (smithing / upgrading stuff seems cool), and likely a third time as a mage/cleric (complete with the old DnD "no edged weapons" limitation).

Was exploring

the ice bergs in the very north eastern part of the map near Winterhold
and found

the coolest quest I've received yet.
:thumbup:

It was actually easier clearing Bleak Barrow Falls as mage, rather than a thief/assassin.

I'm a big fan of dropping a lightning rune down, leading an undead into it, then torching them up with dual flames as the lightning explodes.

Also, mages are much more powerful early on with a companion, a summoned creature, and your destruction runes. :thumbup:

Question for the enchanters out there....

Don't you guys think it ruins the game when you craft insane weapons and kill everything in one hit? I have always stayed away from that stuff as I found it just makes me all powerful and the game boring. I don't exactly enjoy dying, but 1 shotting everything is not fun.

pro tip for the headless horseman:

of you follow him to Hamvir's Rest there's a helm with +Archery damage. If you find this place on your own without following him, the helm is not there. There's a few other cool things, but not that

Messed around my first time, and was 20 hours in and decided to start over. About 20-25 hours into my second run-through and enjoying it a lot. I'm set as a meleer that uses Heavy Armor, 2-handers, and Smithing. Finished the Forbidden Legend questline. Nice, tough one. Worth trying out.

Oh, did someone steal your sweetroll?

I love how I'm not only the Dragonborn but also leader of the both the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood, and some random guard walking down the street decides it would be a good idea to give me some lip.

:lmao:

My PS3 save file is just a hair under 8MB. I'm starting to show some lag just walking around town even. Any idea when the PS3 patch will be out? If it doesn't get fixed, I wonder if I can return this for a full refund (Amazon).
http://www.gamesradar.com/skyrim-patch-incoming-will-address-long-term-play-ps3/
For PS3 players, have you tried turning off all the auto-saves? I've found that Bethesda games are always less inclined to freeze with autosave off, and I think it also helps out with the lag too. I'm at 9.2MB, and I only have some stuttering when I'm in cities, particularly after waiting for storekeepers to respawn their gold. And even that's only an issue after I've been playing for a while, and it's only mildly annoying, not game-breaking. Not a single freeze so far.Maybe I've just been lucky so far, but this game is running better for me than Oblivion, Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas.

My save file is over 8 meg and I'm getting lag.

Think I'm going to play with my lvl 8 mage until the patch comes out.

Oh they better effing fix this. :angry:

i think I want to be a total bad guy. Mage/thief. Is this doable?
Pretty much any build you care to imagine is possible.Stigandr (my guy) is a heavy-armor wearing, 2H battle axe wielding brute who can hide in shadows, is deadly w/ a bow and loves to tinker w/ magic. :thumbup:

Official guide $11.90 at Amazon.

And for uber-nerds you can get the Collector's Edition for $40 from Meijer, already getting sold out.
I got the CE edition from Amazon for @ $22 or so the day the game came out. It's the same as the non-CE save for one big thing: a code to unlock a sick map over at Primagames. I haven't used the book (I don't during a first play-through) except for minor things like finding if a cave/dungeon/etc. are part of a quest or not and minor #### like that. The exploration is 90% of the fun w/ this type of game.

With that said, I'm glad I have it for future playthroughs...it'd be impossible to find everything otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm level 20 and just now found my way to another city besides Whiterun. All I can say is making a run through the tundra up to Winterhold in the dead of night in a blizzard simply rocks.

Can I safely sell all the jewels (ruby, amethyst, etc.) that I've been lifting or can they be used in enchantments or anything else? I've got a lot enough hot jewels to open my own Skyrim Zales store but will keep them if they can be used for something.

Can I safely sell all the jewels (ruby, amethyst, etc.) that I've been lifting or can they be used in enchantments or anything else? I've got a lot enough hot jewels to open my own Skyrim Zales store but will keep them if they can be used for something.
You can use a forge to combine jewels with gold and silver ingots to make jewelry for resale.

I have been looking around for a new PC, and found one for a decent price--under a grand.

[*]Intel® Core i7-2600S quad-core processor [2.8Ghz, 8MB Shared Cache]

[*]8GB DDR3-1333MHz SODIMM [2 DIMMs] from 6GB

[*]1.5TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 1TB

[*]2GB AMD Radeon HD 6550A
For the computer experts, is this okay to run Skyrim?
I play it on a worse computer than that and it runs better than the PS3 version of the game.

I get a kick out of the married guy stories about trying to wedge some Skyrim time into their lives. Glad I'm not the only one!
Just got an Xbox and skyrim. Woke up at 2:30 am and played til 6:00. Only regret is getting back in bed instead of playing as long as possible. Having serious withdrawals. Was in BFB trying to unlock the door. Don't want to know the combo but thinking I need to closely examine the golden claw. Right track?Created a dark elf and have been leveling sneak, archery, and destruction. Major improvement over Oblivion.

I get a kick out of the married guy stories about trying to wedge some Skyrim time into their lives. Glad I'm not the only one!
Just got an Xbox and skyrim. Woke up at 2:30 am and played til 6:00. Only regret is getting back in bed instead of playing as long as possible. Having serious withdrawals. Was in BFB trying to unlock the door. Don't want to know the combo but thinking I need to closely examine the golden claw. Right track?

Created a dark elf and have been leveling sneak, archery, and destruction. Major improvement over Oblivion.

My cursor seems a bit slow moving around when selecting things. I upped the mouse sensitivity, but that doesn't seem to do much. Any reasons?

I love the little tie-ins that make Skyrim seem like such a lived world.

Last night I was playing my mage character. He's making the journey to the College of Mages with Lydia when we come across a broken down wagon. The owner? Cicero. The cargo? His dead mother. :lmao:

There was even a mini-quest involved to help him fix the wagon.

Just got an Xbox and skyrim. Woke up at 2:30 am and played til 6:00. Only regret is getting back in bed instead of playing as long as possible. Having serious withdrawals. Was in BFB trying to unlock the door. Don't want to know the combo but thinking I need to closely examine the golden claw. Right track?

Created a dark elf and have been leveling sneak, archery, and destruction. Major improvement over Oblivion.
:goodposting:

I love the little tie-ins that make Skyrim seem like such a lived world.Last night I was playing my mage character. He's making the journey to the College of Mages with Lydia when we come across a broken down wagon. The owner? Cicero. The cargo? His dead mother. :lmao:There was even a mini-quest involved to help him fix the wagon.
Yeah, the other tie in to Cicero is the old fart in the house nearby who wants you to frame him and get him arrested to get him out of the area. So you get to decide what happens with him. Fun times...

Had a couple random run-ins with mages when traveling at night on Frost (horse from one of the Riften side quests). It was crazy seeing them work their magic at night - what a light show! Got 'em both, though - fun stuff.

On the Frost quest, I was supposed to see a man about a horse once I was done with it, but he's disappeared - anyone do this and know where he went to?

Users who are viewing this thread