What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

General Malaise "vs." reading comprehension ; also some talk of skyim and the elder scrolls (1 Viewer)

I'm thinking about renting this since I can't pick it up until after Christmas. Would it be worth it? Would I be able to force myself to return it?

Am I doing this wrong?
Depends what you mean.The canned answer is "no. You're never doing something wrong. What you're doing is just how you're having the story unfold."But if you're actually asking "am I getting the optimal result from my actions?" then I don't know.
Yeah, the second way you worded it is what I meant. Thanks
fwiw, the game is better (imho) when you just play, and try and stay "in character" than trying to maximize everything. We've been conditioned in rpg's to max everything, as it's the only way to get through the later stages. You don't have to do that here.

Only downsides I've seen to the game so far: The openness sometimes paralyzes my decision making. If I do X now, will I regret having done it or not done it later? Should I buy this item? Take that perk?The map is teh suck. It's hard to maneuver the world map, and the local ones look all gray and washed out, and I can't tell what the different shades are supposed to depict.
To me, the solution to the above is to play a few times. Right now, I'm doing a sneaky dual wielder/archer, and will do thieves/dark brotherhood. Next playthrough will be mage, doing the college / bards school and going up the enchantment / alchemy trees. Then maybe a two-handed brute doing companions / civil war and doing the blacksmith tree. Unlike many other games, this can truly be a "play multiple times" game and have a completely different game, with different quests, etc.

I'm thinking about renting this since I can't pick it up until after Christmas. Would it be worth it? Would I be able to force myself to return it?
For me it is the kind of game I will replay for years to come, so I'd rather own it.Also, if you have a decent PC, this is a game much better played on the PC. The availability of user created mods alone can triple or quadruple the playing time you'll get out of it.

Winterhold

I was selling some goods in Winterhold when we were attacked by an Ancient Dragon. The townspeople chased the beast out of town where it appears that at least a half a dozen named NPC were murdered either by the dragon or the bandit raid that immediately followed. The town is literally dead now.

Where was I when all this took place? Sitting behind a building enjoying some oreo cookies and getting some texting in.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not the sort of game that you rent and beat it in a weekend.
Renting this game is worthless. I've put about 74 hours in 10 days and that's with working full time and taking care of a 4 year old part time. I'm not even a gamer really, I haven't gotten sucked into something like this since I was 16.

Hint for the companion quest :Glory of the Dead

At some point you are going to come to a room with a swtich/stone you have to activate:

If you have a bow, don't activate the lever that opens the gate. You can sit back and plug all the baddies from behind the gate w/o getting destroyed.

This is not the sort of game that you rent and beat it in a weekend.
Renting this game is worthless. I've put about 74 hours in 10 days and that's with working full time and taking care of a 4 year old part time. I'm not even a gamer really, I haven't gotten sucked into something like this since I was 16.
:goodposting:Whenever I'm not taking care of my 5 week old, at work, or watching the Steelers play; I'm playing this game.:hooked:

'Matthias said:
Whenever I'm not taking care of my 5 week old, at work, or watching the Steelers play; I'm playing this game.

:hooked:
Do you find yourself doing this at work?
I find it very hard to use any kind of staff without screaming "THOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!" at the top of my lungs.I'm glad this game recognizes elves for the ####s they are.

Somehow I have to communicate to my wife that people everywhere are powerless to resist this game, and it's not just me.

I killed the wandering bard by accident. I thought he was fighting my dog (he's my dog until I finish the quest which I don't plan on doing any time soon) so I put a couple arrows in his head. Found out he was actually fighting WITH my dog against some bandits. Couldn't tell from afar. Sorry, guy.
Don't get rid of the dog. Since he's a quest follower he is unkillable and makes a great tank.

'Matthias said:
Whenever I'm not taking care of my 5 week old, at work, or watching the Steelers play; I'm playing this game.

:hooked:
Do you find yourself doing this at work?
I'm doing that, except I have my telephone in one hand, and a mouse in the other.Phone enchanted with Illusion, as it appears I'm doing 100% actual work (instead I'm on here trolling the boards)

tank = warrior build, correct?
Pretty much. In an mmo a tank is a player who engages the boss/mobs and takes most of the damage while not being that good at dps. If the tank dies the boss/mobs wipes the floor with all the other players.

I killed the wandering bard by accident. I thought he was fighting my dog (he's my dog until I finish the quest which I don't plan on doing any time soon) so I put a couple arrows in his head. Found out he was actually fighting WITH my dog against some bandits. Couldn't tell from afar. Sorry, guy.
Don't get rid of the dog. Since he's a quest follower he is unkillable and makes a great tank.
That's my point. I have not intention of finishing that quest when I can just bring him along everywhere as extra Sabre Cat protection.

'Matthias said:
tank = warrior build, correct?
Yah. Probably would be looking at heavy armor, 2-handed or 1-handed, smithing, enchanting, and restoration.
Traditionally tanks are heavily armored, slow moving, damage dealers.In these games, it usually means, heavy armor, two handed or dual wielding with just enough restoration to heal yourself and smithing to build good stuff. Because of enchantment, you'd add that too.Since it's so concentrated, you can add stuff like speech perks as well.

Tried using a two-handed sword today. First time since I started the game, and man I swing that puppy slow. Think I am going to ignore the two-handed skill as I always want at least one hand free for casting. Maybe I will do a tank character after I get bored with the one I am running now.

Tried using a two-handed sword today. First time since I started the game, and man I swing that puppy slow. Think I am going to ignore the two-handed skill as I always want at least one hand free for casting. Maybe I will do a tank character after I get bored with the one I am running now.
With the favorites menu I find it pretty simple to run a combo of 2 handed/Archery/Destruction/Restoration and don't really experience any problems cycling through whatever the situation calls for.

That's my point. I have not intention of finishing that quest when I can just bring him along everywhere as extra Sabre Cat protection.
You can buy your own.ETA: I accidentally killed "Vigilence" in a skirmish the other day.

Anyone run into M'aiq The Liar yet?I love that slimy mofo. He's a return character from Oblivion, right?
Yup ran into him just outside of a town. I let out a cheer when I found him and my wife looked at me like :mellow: He told me a few things, but then said he didn't want to talk to me anymore. One thing he mentioned is that he is always on the hunt for calipers but can never find any. He found that odd. :lmao:

'EYLive said:
'Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
So after the Eagles got their butts kicked I turned on Skyrim and decided it was time to organize my skulls and gems. :nerd: So I was putting all of my skulls in the little pit inside right in front of the front door of my house and I was dumping all my gems on the table where the light hits them best. My wife sits on the couch and notices theres not much going on noise wise and asks what I am doing. I say nothing and keep hitting X slide down to drop 1 skull and repeat. (if you "hit drop all", the skulls fall on the floor as 1 skull instead of a giant pile). Then move over to the table and start doing the same process with all of my gems. She once again asks what I am doing so I begrudgingly explain it to her and she looks at me says "What did I marry?" :(
:lol:Were you OCD before Skyrim?
Just wait until he comes back to his house and finds everthing missing. This isn't confirmed, but I read somewhere that you have to put thinks inside the chests inside your house or eventually they disappear.I never noticed this in Oblivion. I one made the mistake of dumping about 100 items outside the shops in Balmora and spent the next year kicking that stuff all over the place.

Another (sorta)cool thing that a NPC did....

I was inside a cave and was overloaded. I dropped a heavy axe of some sort and my Companion buddy picked it up and said : "Here, you dropped this." and handed it back to me.

Wasn't exactly helpful but cool nonetheless.

'EYLive said:
'Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
So after the Eagles got their butts kicked I turned on Skyrim and decided it was time to organize my skulls and gems. :nerd: So I was putting all of my skulls in the little pit inside right in front of the front door of my house and I was dumping all my gems on the table where the light hits them best. My wife sits on the couch and notices theres not much going on noise wise and asks what I am doing. I say nothing and keep hitting X slide down to drop 1 skull and repeat. (if you "hit drop all", the skulls fall on the floor as 1 skull instead of a giant pile). Then move over to the table and start doing the same process with all of my gems. She once again asks what I am doing so I begrudgingly explain it to her and she looks at me says "What did I marry?" :(
:lol:Were you OCD before Skyrim?
Just wait until he comes back to his house and finds everthing missing. This isn't confirmed, but I read somewhere that you have to put thinks inside the chests inside your house or eventually they disappear.I never noticed this in Oblivion. I one made the mistake of dumping about 100 items outside the shops in Balmora and spent the next year kicking that stuff all over the place.
I'll be the first to come crying if this is the case. I don't own any kind of house but I have about 20 some dragon bones and a half dozen daedra hearts sitting in a dresser in the Companion's basement. I will cry if those aren't there one day.

Dark Brotherhood question:

How long do I have to stand here in the Night Mother's coffin before Cicero says something? I'm getting bored.

Anyone run into M'aiq The Liar yet?I love that slimy mofo. He's a return character from Oblivion, right?
Yup ran into him just outside of a town. I let out a cheer when I found him and my wife looked at me like :mellow: He told me a few things, but then said he didn't want to talk to me anymore. One thing he mentioned is that he is always on the hunt for calipers but can never find any. He found that odd. :lmao:
I ran into him and he wouldn't talk to me at all. Anyone know what the trigger is there?

Anyone run into M'aiq The Liar yet?

I love that slimy mofo. He's a return character from Oblivion, right?
I ran into him and he wouldn't talk to me at all. Anyone know what the trigger is there?
Maybe he's not fond of your kind.

<_<

Another (sorta)cool thing that a NPC did....I was inside a cave and was overloaded. I dropped a heavy axe of some sort and my Companion buddy picked it up and said : "Here, you dropped this." and handed it back to me. Wasn't exactly helpful but cool nonetheless.
Which companion? All Lydia ever does is whine about carrying stuff.

Just nabbed the Shadowmark book, and lo and behold as I exit the crypt entrance I notice that the windows are in the shape of the shadowmark for "guild."

Wow.

Anyone have this happen to them shortly after completing the Thieves Guild quests?

A random thief comes running toward you in a city with 3 or 4 guards in hot pursuit.

What do you do?

It's happened twice and both times I just watched him get gunned down. I'm a bad Guildmaster.

How do you negate a bounty without paying it and sacrificing all your stolen crap? In Oblivion you'd pay off your guild contact.

PC & 360 users have to wait 2 more days for the patch. We can now install the game once the patch is installed. :pickle:

And it fixes other small bugs (a couple of which I've encountered).

GJ Bethesda!

Somehow I have to communicate to my wife that people everywhere are powerless to resist this game, and it's not just me.
Start leveling your Speech.
Good call Ivan.For a PM, but curious as to why you chose Ivan Karamazov as your handle here. One of my favorite books of all time.
Most compelling character of one of my favorite books.
:thumbup: Author of The Grand Inquisitor.

Whoever said that fire salts dropped from killing a summoned fire atronach, lied.

Just tried twice.

I shot it in the head. It died. It exploded in flames. Nothing was left. :angry:

Anyone have this happen to them shortly after completing the Thieves Guild quests?

A random thief comes running toward you in a city with 3 or 4 guards in hot pursuit. What do you do?It's happened twice and both times I just watched him get gunned down. I'm a bad Guildmaster.
Many many times. The streets of Riften are quickly obtaining a makeshift form of carpeting.

So if a dragon gets you down to 1/4 health and you're standing right in front of him, he can grab you in his jaws, toss you around, then throw you a couple hundred yards away to your death.

:mellow:

So if a dragon gets you down to 1/4 health and you're standing right in front of him, he can grab you in his jaws, toss you around, then throw you a couple hundred yards away to your death. :mellow:
Yeah, this happened to me right away. I thought I could charge in for the finish when the first dragon in the game dropped to the ground. Was really wrong on that one.

So if a dragon gets you down to 1/4 health and you're standing right in front of him, he can grab you in his jaws, toss you around, then throw you a couple hundred yards away to your death. :mellow:
What made you think that standing directly in front of a dragon was a good idea in the first place?

Im getting very frustrated not being able to defeat this one guy. I have tried Arrows, arrows with potions, magic, swords, shouts and scrolls. This is the only guy in the game that has given me any kind of trouble. Killing dragons alone is easier. I may need to get a companion and come back.

Users who are viewing this thread