What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

General Malaise "vs." reading comprehension ; also some talk of skyim and the elder scrolls (1 Viewer)

3 more freezes since the patch came out.Again, I had ZERO before the patch.It seems, once again, Betheseda makes a great product that crashes like crazy a couple days after you've been reeled in.
I've found that loading times are significantly longer post-patch. No freezes yet, but my game did hang on a loading screen once, requiring a restart. Maybe this is just me because I haven't seen this particular complaing elsewhere, but yeah this patch kind of sucked.
Yep. This. Loading times are much longer. And every time I dread a system crash.

I had it crash a few times on my old pc(9800gtx+, 4gb) then did the use more than 2GB thing and its running smooth ever since.

Done with this piece of @^.BSOD (who even knew that Win7 HAD a BSOD?), video card crashes, motherboard crashes, reboots, automatic patches that break more things than they fix - even the internet cant solve these problems! (How is THAT possible?)I'm actually semi convinced the game is breaking my video card (or Mobo).. have now had three hardware configurations where the thing starts out stable then a few hours later it all goes to you know where.I'll try again in a few months hopefully there will be some mods and/or user patches that make the thing playable. Lag in PS3 seems minor by comparison.Game is good fun, (even the in game glitches like self launching into orbit horses and mammoths are fun) but at the end of the day its Morrowind, slightly improved. Thats not a bad thing unless it breaks your computer..
Hence why the general consensus is to play on a console. The game is developed for Xbox 360 and then ported to every other machine capable of playing it. The PS3 port is generally pretty buggy (my system of choice) but apparently the PC port is far, far worse. Aside from the ability to modify the game, I don't see any benefit of playing on the PC. Not worth the headaches IMO.
No crashes or lag on my PC.

Done with this piece of @^.

BSOD (who even knew that Win7 HAD a BSOD?), video card crashes, motherboard crashes, reboots, automatic patches that break more things than they fix - even the internet cant solve these problems! (How is THAT possible?)

I'm actually semi convinced the game is breaking my video card (or Mobo).. have now had three hardware configurations where the thing starts out stable then a few hours later it all goes to you know where.

I'll try again in a few months hopefully there will be some mods and/or user patches that make the thing playable. Lag in PS3 seems minor by comparison.

Game is good fun, (even the in game glitches like self launching into orbit horses and mammoths are fun) but at the end of the day its Morrowind, slightly improved. Thats not a bad thing unless it breaks your computer..
Hence why the general consensus is to play on a console. The game is developed for Xbox 360 and then ported to every other machine capable of playing it. The PS3 port is generally pretty buggy (my system of choice) but apparently the PC port is far, far worse. Aside from the ability to modify the game, I don't see any benefit of playing on the PC. Not worth the headaches IMO.
X

Zero problems on 360... :coffee: ;)
Dragons have been flying backwards for me since the patch, hope they get another one out soon.Aside from that, no other issues to report.
I've had 3 or 4 freezes, but that was the case with oblivion and fallout as well. the autosaving in skyrim is better (sometimes autosaves when you pull your menu up, not just when you sleep/wait/travel/go through a door)

Once again having a ton of fun playing as a sword/shield melee character. Trying not to overpower myself by leveling up smithing/enchanting too soon, so right now I am at like level 20 overall and like 45 smithing. The block perk of "Quick Reflexes" is great as it slows down time if I use block during an opponents power attack. This allows for almost Matrix like maneuvers. One handed kind of maxes out pretty early in regards to perks. I am like level 60 at one-handed and have like 4/5 of the beginning perk and then both sides of swords but can't really put any other perks into it until level 100.

Questions for anyone going up the block tree, is it worth it to put perks into both sides or just go up one? Trying to decide whether to just go up the left for elemental protection or go both and get the shield bash perks.

3 more freezes since the patch came out.Again, I had ZERO before the patch.It seems, once again, Betheseda makes a great product that crashes like crazy a couple days after you've been reeled in.
I'm the exact opposite. 3 before, none since. But I probably have at least twice as many hours in before the patch.

No issues at all on Xbox here either.

I have just barely broken into enchantment and haven't really looked into any of the perks.

Took down my first dragon by myself the other day. Took forever but it was easy with the right cover. Found a nice fat column to hide behind and I would just jump out, dual-cast some ice spikes, and jump back behind. Plus being Dunmer really helps with flame attacks.

Back doing main quest after doing a few of the mage college line. Anyone with any thoughts as to jumping around from line to line? Thinking it might be kinda distracting.

No issues at all on Xbox here either.I have just barely broken into enchantment and haven't really looked into any of the perks. Took down my first dragon by myself the other day. Took forever but it was easy with the right cover. Found a nice fat column to hide behind and I would just jump out, dual-cast some ice spikes, and jump back behind. Plus being Dunmer really helps with flame attacks.Back doing main quest after doing a few of the mage college line. Anyone with any thoughts as to jumping around from line to line? Thinking it might be kinda distracting.
I played the college line out until Moroki (spelling?). I went back to the main quest and then jumped back to defeat Moroki. It doesnt turn you around too much but I like finishing things before starting new ones.I need to start figuring out when to put perks into smithing and enchanting. Im around 45 in both destruction and conjuration.

Smithing I doubt I will do with this character. Maybe when absolutely necessary but I just can't see this character working at a forge.

Want to get better at restoration and conjuring. Just picked up a flame atronach summons spell and have been using summon zombie a lot. Basically when I am in a dungeon I always raise those I just killed.

I forget I have half of the spells until after of course. They are all in my favorites, I just forget to use them. I just started using my shouts consistently.

I've also tried soul trap a number of times and never have a gem big enough.

Finding myself really wanting to start a new, evil character that specializes in thievery/archery/light armor/one handed/smithing that does thieves guild/dark brotherhood.

Until then, pushing on w/ my "good guy" tank build until I probably beat the game/do alot of side quests.

Random question.

Can you create your own arrows?

I forget I have half of the spells until after of course. They are all in my favorites, I just forget to use them. I just started using my shouts consistently. I've also tried soul trap a number of times and never have a gem big enough.
I do this a lot too. I get caught up with bow and then wading in with dual daggers or dual swords.Edit: I have like 9 shouts and some of them are pretty cool/useful, but I always forget to use them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Smithing I doubt I will do with this character. Maybe when absolutely necessary but I just can't see this character working at a forge.Want to get better at restoration and conjuring. Just picked up a flame atronach summons spell and have been using summon zombie a lot. Basically when I am in a dungeon I always raise those I just killed.
Atronachs are nice because you don't need a body. I have both flame and frost and use flame way more as its ranged fireballs can hit from anywhere and it can get around in more confined spaces, unlike the frost.

Had a "waking dream" that when I hit snooze this morning I was setting my clock for a certain amount of hours to rest. :bag:

I forget I have half of the spells until after of course. They are all in my favorites, I just forget to use them. I just started using my shouts consistently. I've also tried soul trap a number of times and never have a gem big enough.
I just carry a bunch of each type of gem. That way you don't waste, say, a Grand gem having a Common soul go into it because you don't have a Common or Greater gem on you.

Had a "waking dream" that when I hit snooze this morning I was setting my clock for a certain amount of hours to rest. :bag:
My "you know you've been playing Skyrim too long" moment was when I went for food after a long Skyrim session this last weekend. I saw some blue flowers in Whataburger's landscaping and immediately felt an impulse to change directions towards them and grab a handful on my way past.

Couple random Qs

1. Do mine's regen their ore after some time?

2. Does smelting count towards smithing?

3. Does cooking apply to any skill?

I can handle any type of creature or monster - even sneak attacks. But for some strange reason getting caught pickpocketing makes me just about #### my pants.

'NorvilleBarnes said:
Couple random Qs1. Do mine's regen their ore after some time?2. Does smelting count towards smithing?3. Does cooking apply to any skill?I can handle any type of creature or monster - even sneak attacks. But for some strange reason getting caught pickpocketing makes me just about #### my pants.
1. Most zones take a month or so to respawn. The ore veins probably will then.2. Not positive but I don't think smelting helps with Smithing. But it's nice to be able to buy ore from merchants and make it into an ingot for less than an ingot costs.3. Cooking doesn't apply to a skill.

Got on last night after 4-5 days off. The patch for the 360 made it look sooo much better, I'm almost bummed I played as much as I played before it came out. I'll catch the dungeons I already went through the second time around. :thumbup:

'The Hank said:
Finding myself really wanting to start a new, evil character that specializes in thievery/archery/light armor/one handed/smithing that does thieves guild/dark brotherhood.Until then, pushing on w/ my "good guy" tank build until I probably beat the game/do alot of side quests.Random question.Can you create your own arrows?
If you have a PC, then yes. There is a mod where you can use materials to make arrows.

BSOD (who even knew that Win7 HAD a BSOD?), video card crashes, motherboard crashes, reboots, automatic patches that break more things than they fix - even the internet cant solve these problems! (How is THAT possible?)

I'm actually semi convinced the game is breaking my video card (or Mobo).. have now had three hardware configurations where the thing starts out stable then a few hours later it all goes to you know where.

I'll try again in a few months hopefully there will be some mods and/or user patches that make the thing playable. Lag in PS3 seems minor by comparison.

Game is good fun, (even the in game glitches like self launching into orbit horses and mammoths are fun) but at the end of the day its Morrowind, slightly improved. Thats not a bad thing unless it breaks your computer..
X
Glad you aren't having issues with it. Mr. Cow, you especially know that all PCs aren't exactly built the same, whether quality of parts or quality of build. Due to this fact alone forces more problems into the PC realm of Skyrim.

I'm not banging on the PC at all (I actually lurked for a while before joining and built my PC based off of your "Build a Gaming PC on a Budget" thread about a year ago). I just feel that Bethesda games are so naturally buggy that it was best to stick to a console version for Skyrim :unsure:

X
:goodposting: I have not had a single problem on my PC. I built mine back in May of 2010 and it runs it at max just fine.

I'm not sure where I am, but I found it through the Alftand dungeon. The most beautiful scene in Skyrim yet. A vast underground...city? with flowing lights in the shape of jellyfish. There's big chambers in a dungeon...then there's this. I'm in awe. So is my PS3. So much so it decided to crash.

:angry:

'NorvilleBarnes said:
Couple random Qs1. Do mine's regen their ore after some time?2. Does smelting count towards smithing?3. Does cooking apply to any skill?I can handle any type of creature or monster - even sneak attacks. But for some strange reason getting caught pickpocketing makes me just about #### my pants.
Per the book:1. Yes, in 1 month2. Nope3. Nope

I'm not sure where I am, but I found it through the Alftand dungeon. The most beautiful scene in Skyrim yet. A vast underground...city? with flowing lights in the shape of jellyfish. There's big chambers in a dungeon...then there's this. I'm in awe. So is my PS3. So much so it decided to crash.

Ah yes, Blackreach. Coolest place in Skyrim so far.
There's a glowing chandelier, ornament in middle of Blackreach. Hit it with unrelenting force shout and enjoy.

Ah yes, Blackreach. Coolest place in Skyrim so far.
There's a glowing chandelier, ornament in middle of Blackreach. Hit it with unrelenting force shout and enjoy.
:thumbup: Will do.

This place is unbelievably gorgeous. It makes the outdoor scenes look ugly.

Got totally frustrated last night.

I am doing the Azura star quest and I lose my companion. Which means I need to rejoin the college since she was a student there with me.

Then I try to bring the star to Nelmark (or whatever his name is) and he says he wont talk to me bc I have been expelled. OK, I leave and dragon music comes on. Awesome. I get the dragon down to nothing and I think he is dead. WRONG. I get blasted by something and die. Start over and no more dragon encounter.

Then I go to the goddess instead and I

Go into the star. The bad dude in there was so powerful that he conjures 3 dremoras. I kill them but dont have enough magic to deal with him. Its one blast and Im done. This happened 5 times.
I just shut it off and went upstairs in hopes of having the sechs. And my daughter had woken up and crawled into bed with wife. By the time she got back to sleep, wife hands me the remote and goes to sleep

Not a good night :hot:

Got totally frustrated last night.I am doing the Azura star quest and I lose my companion. Which means I need to rejoin the college since she was a student there with me. Then I try to bring the star to Nelmark (or whatever his name is) and he says he wont talk to me bc I have been expelled. OK, I leave and dragon music comes on. Awesome. I get the dragon down to nothing and I think he is dead. WRONG. I get blasted by something and die. Start over and no more dragon encounter.Then I go to the goddess instead and I

Go into the star. The bad dude in there was so powerful that he conjures 3 dremoras. I kill them but dont have enough magic to deal with him. Its one blast and Im done. This happened 5 times.
I just shut it off and went upstairs in hopes of having the sechs. And my daughter had woken up and crawled into bed with wife. By the time she got back to sleep, wife hands me the remote and goes to sleepNot a good night :hot:

I beat that guy by turning invisible, sneaking past his guards, then blasting him with everything I had. FWIW it took me 3 or 4 times to figure that out. I recall a few vulgarities whispered at the top of my lungs.

Got totally frustrated last night.I am doing the Azura star quest and I lose my companion. Which means I need to rejoin the college since she was a student there with me. Then I try to bring the star to Nelmark (or whatever his name is) and he says he wont talk to me bc I have been expelled. OK, I leave and dragon music comes on. Awesome. I get the dragon down to nothing and I think he is dead. WRONG. I get blasted by something and die. Start over and no more dragon encounter.Then I go to the goddess instead and I

I just shut it off and went upstairs in hopes of having the sechs. And my daughter had woken up and crawled into bed with wife. By the time she got back to sleep, wife hands me the remote and goes to sleepNot a good night :hot:
I beat that guy by turning invisible, sneaking past his guards, then blasting him with everything I had. FWIW it took me 3 or 4 times to figure that out. I recall a few vulgarities whispered at the top of my lungs.I hurried and pulled out my bow and got a shot in before he ran away, then summoned a fire chick, and waited for them to come to me. The two slowmo bow perks are awesome for dodging arrows and spells.

Thanks guys. Ill try agin tonight. I might actually see if any of my saves go back to where my companion was still alive. Just because I feel bad that she dies trying to help my cause. Not sure how far back the saves go.

I helped all the jabronies out who were stuck under Markarth. I get the feeling I haven't seen the last of them, and they laid waste to about 60 people on their way out. :unsure:

I beat that guy by turning invisible, sneaking past his guards, then blasting him with everything I had. FWIW it took me 3 or 4 times to figure that out. I recall a few vulgarities whispered at the top of my lungs.
I hurried and pulled out my bow and got a shot in before he ran away, then summoned a fire chick, and waited for them to come to me. The two slowmo bow perks are awesome for dodging arrows and spells.Bows are unbelievably awesome in this game. I murdered everybody in this area without getting a hand laid on me.

If you own and operate a business in Skyrim, it's best to keep your laborers around as long as possible, even if operating at a loss. Skyrim's unemployed laborers can be a real nasty lot, willing, quite recklessly, to spend every last gold coin to enact lethal revenge on whomever pisses them off. Repeat: beware the unemployed of Skyrim.

I hurried and pulled out my bow and got a shot in before he ran away, then summoned a fire chick, and waited for them to come to me. The two slowmo bow perks are awesome for dodging arrows and spells.
Bows are unbelievably awesome in this game. I murdered everybody in this area without getting a hand laid on me.Just got my enchanting up to 100 and put two enchantments (Fire and Ice damage) on my legendary ebony bow. The Icy Hot bow takes down giants on two hits.

Thanks guys. Ill try agin tonight. I might actually see if any of my saves go back to where my companion was still alive. Just because I feel bad that she dies trying to help my cause. Not sure how far back the saves go.
You do know that bad guys won't kill a companion, right?If they die, it's due to friendly fire.

U sure bout this? Pretty sure Lydia got wasted

By a Mage while I hung back

Also anyone done the bandits of mistwatch quest? I'm getting torched by bandits and don't think I have the firepower to deal with these guys.

What are your strategies for beating multiple attackers? In this one chamber there seems to be no way to sneak and get them one on one. And they are tough bastards.

You do know that bad guys won't kill a companion, right?If they die, it's due to friendly fire.
not true.
Pretty sure my Lydia got worked by a Giant when I was a much lower level.Now got a chick from the Companions following me

Users who are viewing this thread