Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
AhrnCityPahnder

General Malaise "vs." reading comprehension ; also some talk of skyim and the elder scrolls

Still trying to get used to the xbox controller, having not owned a console since the 1st playstation. Been a pc gamer all these years. Does the d-pad not do anything in this game?

Enjoying the game very much, but need to get used to the controller. So used to the precision of the mouse in these types of games.

For the guys who don't want to make money or buy houses you can get a free place to live that is pretty sweet

complete the college of winterhold quest line and you get the archmages place. Equipped with chest, enchanting and alchemy stations and a pretty sweet ### tree in the middle of your room. Great for bringing hot chicks to

For those of you who have finished the Dark Brotherhood quests ....

the 20k purse for killing the emperor -- did you use it to revamp the 2nd DB sanctuary? Is there any benefit to me doing that other than checking off the "where you hang your head" quest ?

For those of you who have finished the Dark Brotherhood quests ....

the 20k purse for killing the emperor -- did you use it to revamp the 2nd DB sanctuary? Is there any benefit to me doing that other than checking off the "where you hang your head" quest ?

It's just like a house but not as good as the Solitude house. And that creepy vampire girl is always in your damn bedroom. Creepy.

Edited by Kanil

I'm not reading those spoilers. But the Dark Brotherhood put a hit out on me yesterday and I have no idea why.

Still trying to get used to the xbox controller, having not owned a console since the 1st playstation. Been a pc gamer all these years. Does the d-pad not do anything in this game?Enjoying the game very much, but need to get used to the controller. So used to the precision of the mouse in these types of games.

The D-Pad doesn't do anything in any game. I don't know why they even put it on there.

Still trying to get used to the xbox controller, having not owned a console since the 1st playstation. Been a pc gamer all these years. Does the d-pad not do anything in this game?Enjoying the game very much, but need to get used to the controller. So used to the precision of the mouse in these types of games.

The d-pad is how you cycle through your favorites.

The D-Pad doesn't do anything in any game. I don't know why they even put it on there.
Uhhhh....The favorites menu is accessed by using the D-pad. Unless you plan on going to the main menu to switch items every time, it is incredibly useful in this game.

Heads up on a pickpocket bug.

It seems like if your bonus in it gets too high, it drops your chances to pickpocket an item to 0%. Example, I have it perked up to 80%, plus the 25% sleeping bonus and 50% coin bonus. That was ok, and I had a 38% chance to steal a large amount of gold. But when I put on an item with +20% to pickpocket, it dropped my chance to steal the gold to 8%. When I put on a second item with a +15%, it dropped it to zero.

I googled and found other people have hit it too. Some people hit it just by maxing out that first pick to level 5 and +100%. So beware maxing out that first perk.

Are Dragon encounters completely random? I'm level 20 and have only fought one dragon since the first one that proved I was Dragonborn. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm not going to the right places or are just unlucky.

Are Dragon encounters completely random? I'm level 20 and have only fought one dragon since the first one that proved I was Dragonborn. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm not going to the right places or are just unlucky.

Have you been to the Greybeards yet?There are random encounters and a few areas that always have them I believe. However, I think you need to do a little bit in the main quest to start seeing them, iirc.

have to remember to take off the ebony mail before i get in fist fights, guards get a little cranky when the guy starts dying

Not sure how it works. I'm level 20 to and have killed like 9-12 of them. Even had 2 come down at once.

Have you been to the Greybeards yet?There are random encounters and a few areas that always have them I believe. However, I think you need to do a little bit in the main quest to start seeing them, iirc.
Yes I've been to the Greybeards. They asked me to go pick up some horn and I haven't done that yet. I've seen a one in the distance a couple of times but they always fly away. I've checked the Wiki and it seems I should be getting interations. I also have 4 or 5 shouts that I can't unlock because I have no souls. Irritating.

Yes I've been to the Greybeards. They asked me to go pick up some horn and I haven't done that yet. I've seen a one in the distance a couple of times but they always fly away. I've checked the Wiki and it seems I should be getting interations. I also have 4 or 5 shouts that I can't unlock because I have no souls. Irritating.
Sometimes if you see them in the distance you just have to go make your move I think. Run those mofos down.

Sometimes if you see them in the distance you just have to go make your move I think. Run those mofos down.
Good place to find dragons is at the Mage base in Winterhaven. In fact it gets irritating because it is hard to do business in courtyard without a dragon interrupting everything. It is also a good place to fight a dragon because there are places to hide when does his breath weapon.

Some seem to be random. Others are definitely not random. Anytime you see a dragon head on your compass, that's a lair with a dragon flying around. Some lair locations in spoiler.

Those are also places you can pick up new shouts. On the mountain above Shor's Stone or whatever that mining town down southeast is called.Little mountain in the middle of the area full of lakes and geysers south-southwest of WindhelmNext mountain to the west from the Shrine of Azura.Mountain south of Riften.

Patch 1.3 is out for PC. The list of fixes includes:

General stability improvements

Optimize performance for Core 2 Duo CPUs (PC)

Fixed Radiant Story incorrectly filling certain roles

Fixed magic resistances not calculating properly

Fixed issue with placing books on bookshelves inside player purchased homes

Fixed dragon animation issues with saving and loading

Fixed Y-look input to scale correctly with framerate

The bold is the dragons flying backwards.

Apparently they also said they are working on a patch that will allow the game to make use of a full 4GB of memory. Right now you can download a user mod that will do that for you, but good that Bethesda is getting to it. Hope they get around to fixing the HUD for multiple monitors, though Hayden's fix has been working great for me in the meantime.

I haven't downloaded the patch yet... I disabled auto-updating in Steam so I can back up the directory before getting a new one in case it breaks anything I don't want broken. Will probably do it tomorrow and give it a try.

My dragons are bugged. when one appears, it shoots fire, then will just fly in place, but never gets farther or closer, even if I run towards them. I ended up just rolling a pure mage and might go back go that character later. This is the 360 version, btw.

Odd thing happened to me last night. Decided to hoof it from Whiterun to Riften by buying a horse. I really enjoyed the horse ride but I caught a thief running away by mistwatch so I get off my horse to talk to him. I have to chase him down a bit. I start walking back to my horse and it bailed on me. Couldnt find it anywhere.

I perform my tasks for the main quest where I have to find the old guy for Delphine. We fast travel back to Riverwood and there is Acers horse chilling out. Not sure what happened there

Ok I think I'm going to give RPG another try. I want to play more BF3 first but this past couple of weeks have been uber hectic.

Is it worth it to buy from store/amazon or just downlaod from steam :noob: :bag:

My dragons are bugged. when one appears, it shoots fire, then will just fly in place, but never gets farther or closer, even if I run towards them. I ended up just rolling a pure mage and might go back go that character later. This is the 360 version, btw.

Mine too,

I had 2 dragons that fly backwards and did the same thing

Then, I find one that is flying around properly. I get down over there and slay it quickly but then it doesnt let me absorb the dragon soul :rant: :rant: :rant:

I hope they get this freaking patch over to 360 ASAP!.

Mine too,

I had 2 dragons that fly backwards and did the same thing

Then, I find one that is flying around properly. I get down over there and slay it quickly but then it doesnt let me absorb the dragon soul :rant: :rant: :rant:

I hope they get this freaking patch over to 360 ASAP!.

Because of this whenever I see a dragon, I will just run away from it until the new patch v1.3 is applied...

What a pain in the ###

Apparently they also said they are working on a patch that will allow the game to make use of a full 4GB of memory. Right now you can download a user mod that will do that for you, but good that Bethesda is getting to it. Hope they get around to fixing the HUD for multiple monitors, though Hayden's fix has been working great for me in the meantime.

I haven't downloaded the patch yet... I disabled auto-updating in Steam so I can back up the directory before getting a new one in case it breaks anything I don't want broken. Will probably do it tomorrow and give it a try.

I wish they would allow Eyefinity setups. I know there are things you can do to the .ini file and such, but it is dumb they don't allow it natively, and the menus are just unusable even so, just like in Fallout New Vegas.

Odd thing happened to me last night. Decided to hoof it from Whiterun to Riften by buying a horse. I really enjoyed the horse ride but I caught a thief running away by mistwatch so I get off my horse to talk to him. I have to chase him down a bit. I start walking back to my horse and it bailed on me. Couldnt find it anywhere.I perform my tasks for the main quest where I have to find the old guy for Delphine. We fast travel back to Riverwood and there is Acers horse chilling out. Not sure what happened there

I believe if you own a horse, that when you fast travel it brings your horse with you, wherever it was. So if you lose the horse that's an easy way to get it back.One of the best Oblivion user mods was "Dude, Where's My Horse?". It basically made a quest with your horse as the objective so you could see it on the compass and the map.

Odd thing happened to me last night. Decided to hoof it from Whiterun to Riften by buying a horse. I really enjoyed the horse ride but I caught a thief running away by mistwatch so I get off my horse to talk to him. I have to chase him down a bit. I start walking back to my horse and it bailed on me. Couldnt find it anywhere.I perform my tasks for the main quest where I have to find the old guy for Delphine. We fast travel back to Riverwood and there is Acers horse chilling out. Not sure what happened there

Most horses tend to run from fights but they are around you just have to search for them.. They should be back when you fast travel. You want a kickass horse, do the quest to get the horse named Frost.

I wish they would allow Eyefinity setups. I know there are things you can do to the .ini file and such, but it is dumb they don't allow it natively, and the menus are just unusable even so, just like in Fallout New Vegas.
I agree Bethesda needs to support Eyefinity. In the meantime though it is really easy to get it set up. Just get your display set up normally in Eyefinity. I'm running three screens at 6048x1200 including bezel correction.

Go to your Documents/My Games/Skyrim folder, make a copy of SkyrimPrefs.ini just to be safe, and then edit the original. Under [Display] find and edit these two lines to reflect your new resolution:

iSize H=1200

iSize W=6048

When done, save a copy of your edited version, as doing some things in the SkyrimLauncher can overwrite it, so good to be able to revert back.

Then go to http://widescreengamingforum.com/dr/elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/en and download whatever is the current Hayden's fix at the top of the thread. For the Skyrim 1.3 patch it is version 0.9 currently for the fix. Save this file over to where you launch Skyrim from. You launch this file first without Skyrim running, and hit "Inject Patch". Then run Skyrim using the TESV.exe instead of SkyrimLauncher (to avoid overwriting that prefs file we changed). Hayden's fix will basically intercept the menus and move them to the center screen.

Early versions you sometimes had to use ~ and + to swap between two different modes to get the map to work right, but he got it fixed in more recent versions so that isn't an issue. I have had times where I would run the fix and it wouldn't fix the HUD, but if so I just shut the game down, shut down the fix, and relaunched and it always worked on the second try if so.

By the way, I had to completely disable anti-aliasing to use Eyefinity. It worked fine with 1 monitor, but when I went to three I was getting about 1 FPS. As soon as I disabled it I jumped up to 25-30 FPS in the city and 40-60 in dungeons or buildings.

Edit to add: Here is a forum where people discuss wide screen gaming issues with Skyrim. It's also where Hayden is posting at so if you have problems with the fix you can ask there about it, and get notified if there is a new fix that comes out. Right now he's having to update it each time there is a patch, and so far he's keeping it up to date pretty quick. People are throwing donations to him on paypal for his work. http://widescreengamingforum.com/forum/forums/multi-monitor-gaming/multi-monitor-gaming/18156/eyefinity-skyrim-confirmed-hor-broken-m?page=169

By the way, for people on the PC... you can disable that Bethesda logo splash movie that runs when you first start the game so it takes you right to the menu where you choose to Continue, Load, etc.

Just go to your Data folder, probably something like C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/skyrim/Data. Go into the Video folder, and rename BGS_Logo.bik to something else. It won't find the video that way and will just skip it. Each time Steam downloads a new version you'll need to repeat those steps to remove it again.

Most horses tend to run from fights but they are around you just have to search for them.. They should be back when you fast travel. You want a kickass horse, do the quest to get the horse named Frost.
Just make sure that if you're going to get in a fight/find a new bandit hideout/etc. that you park Frost a good ways away, because that bad boy will jump into every fight once he hears that music. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten off of him, gone into sneak mode, and had him shoot right past me up to the bad guys and start busting heads. I swear I can hear him whinnying "Leeeeeeroy Jenkinssssssssssssss" as he gallops by me :wall: Edited by joker

any ideas where Frost would go if I stole him and then he got separated from me? he doesn't reappear when I fast travel.

any ideas where Frost would go if I stole him and then he got separated from me? he doesn't reappear when I fast travel.

I lost him once and found him in the stables outside White Run. But I think I've lost him again since and haven't bothered to find him. I haven't used any companion help either, unless they are assigned to the quest. Too much clutter and not enough control of the horse.

Uhhhh....The favorites menu is accessed by using the D-pad. Unless you plan on going to the main menu to switch items every time, it is incredibly useful in this game.
Also, left/right on the d-pad is your quick switch... go to your favorites menu and hold down left/right to assign your quick switch.

Also, left/right on the d-pad is your quick switch... go to your favorites menu and hold down left/right to assign your quick switch.
Forgot about that I will make sure to reactivate that this evening :thumbup: Thanks Worm

Last night I put the controller down, voluntarily, at 10pm and read in bed before going to sleep.I'm on the path to recovery, my brothers.

Which spell tome did you read?-QG

Last night I put the controller down, voluntarily, at 10pm and read in bed before going to sleep.I'm on the path to recovery, my brothers.

Which spell tome did you read?-QG
:coffee:

Just make sure that if you're going to get in a fight/find a new bandit hideout/etc. that you park Frost a good ways away, because that bad boy will jump into every fight once he hears that music. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten off of him, gone into sneak mode, and had him shoot right past me up to the bad guys and start busting heads. I swear I can hear him whinnying "Leeeeeeroy Jenkinssssssssssssss" as he gallops by me :wall:
I stopped slow travelling between cities with Frost because I couldn't keep him out of fights. That horse has a problem

CARROTS ARE THE NEW CALIPERS

I need to know what to do with all these carrots. I can't make beef stew with all of them.

CARROTS ARE THE NEW CALIPERSI need to know what to do with all these carrots. I can't make beef stew with all of them.

Yeah, I stopped picking up food the first time I read the bonuses in the food you can create back in Riverwood. Sort of reminds me of Fallout... there wasn't anything with good enough bonuses to make it worth cooking there either.Can always "sell" them to a merchant to help your Speech increase.

Enchanting is up to 94. Can't wait to hit 100 and double up enchantments.

Do I gather correctly that you can't make a Destruction + Magicka Regen armor that is as good as the Master Robes? I'm getting about 60 Magicka Regen on individual items, and 25 Destruction. But if I try the join one you get from disenchanting mage robes, even with a Grand soul it gives something piddly like 5% Destruction and 10% Magicka.

Can always "sell" them to a merchant to help your Speech increase.

Pretty sure Speech training is based on amount earned. Carrots sell for 0. Edited by Smoo

Thinking about getting this game for the PS3 but I've been reading that there are a lot of issues with the game not playing well after your save file gets too big. Can anyone confirm this? I read it was especially bad on the PS3. Dont want to read 46 pages to find this info and I dont want to get a game, invest 20 hours into it and not have it playable.

Thanks

Thinking about getting this game for the PS3 but I've been reading that there are a lot of issues with the game not playing well after your save file gets too big. Can anyone confirm this? I read it was especially bad on the PS3. Dont want to read 46 pages to find this info and I dont want to get a game, invest 20 hours into it and not have it playable.Thanks

There are problems with all systems but ps: seems to be worst. It's different for everyone. I haven't has too many problems since the patch but I have froze 2-3 times. Dharma punk has froze like 5-6 times.

Thinking about getting this game for the PS3 but I've been reading that there are a lot of issues with the game not playing well after your save file gets too big. Can anyone confirm this? I read it was especially bad on the PS3. Dont want to read 46 pages to find this info and I dont want to get a game, invest 20 hours into it and not have it playable.Thanks

I've played more hours than I care to admit on the PS3. I get some lag when I've Had the game on for a long time, but other than that I've experienced very little lag. There are some glitches, but it sounds like some of those are platform-independent (dragons flying backward, for one).Bottom line: II'd buy again for the PS3.

I've played more hours than I care to admit on the PS3. I get some lag when I've Had the game on for a long time, but other than that I've experienced very little lag. There are some glitches, but it sounds like some of those are platform-independent (dragons flying backward, for one).Bottom line: II'd buy again for the PS3.
:goodposting: Edited by crush304

:goodposting:
Thank you for the info. I am going to go ahead and get this game based on the responses. I am sure I will really get into it.

I was playing Wednesday night on my PS3 and it froze FIVE times. :thumbdown:

Amazon has it on sale today as one of their "Best Deals." Regularly $59.99 on sale for the unbelievable price of $59.96.

That's right, order now and save 3 cents!