boubucarow

***Chicago Cubs Thread***

3,061 posts in this topic

For the love of Buddha, will someone please take Soriano off our hands, please so that we can kickstart this reformation project??? I'm getting sick of checking the interwebs 20 times a day to see who's coming in. Dammit, man!!!

In other news, the Cubs bought the acre of land that is the McDonald's and its parking lot across Clark for 20 million. The only stipulation is that there must be a McDonald's on the premises which seems odd but it could easily be incorporated as the food option in whatever they decide to build. I walked by it last night and didn't realize how huge that space is. There is lot they can do there to help to create the Cub experience outside of the park along with the triangle space next to Wrigley along Clark.

It took a little bit for Ricketts to find his footing, but I am liking his moves a ton over the past 6 or so months.

In other news, the Cubs bought the acre of land that is the McDonald's and its parking lot across Clark for 20 million. The only stipulation is that there must be a McDonald's on the premises which seems odd but it could easily be incorporated as the food option in whatever they decide to build. I walked by it last night and didn't realize how huge that space is. There is lot they can do there to help to create the Cub experience outside of the park along with the triangle space next to Wrigley along Clark. It took a little bit for Ricketts to find his footing, but I am liking his moves a ton over the past 6 or so months.

:goodposting: I'm fully on board with Ricketts and Theo. After 37 years of my lifetime, the Cubs finally seem to be heading in a really good direction.

@jcrasnick: There were signs today (I can't say precisely what) to indicate the #Cubs are stepping up their pursuit of Prince Fielder.

Also heard Twins might be parting ways with Cuddyer after signing Willingham. I wouldn't mind seeing him on the north side.

Also heard Twins might be parting ways with Cuddyer after signing Willingham. I wouldn't mind seeing him on the north side.

I think the Twins parting ways is pretty much a given at this point. I don't believe they can afford both Willingham and Cuddyer.

In other news, the Cubs bought the acre of land that is the McDonald's and its parking lot across Clark for 20 million. The only stipulation is that there must be a McDonald's on the premises which seems odd but it could easily be incorporated as the food option in whatever they decide to build. I walked by it last night and didn't realize how huge that space is. There is lot they can do there to help to create the Cub experience outside of the park along with the triangle space next to Wrigley along Clark. It took a little bit for Ricketts to find his footing, but I am liking his moves a ton over the past 6 or so months.

I know its across the street from Wrigley, but is there anyway they could incorporate that McDonald's area into part of the ball park?

I know its across the street from Wrigley, but is there anyway they could incorporate that McDonald's area into part of the ball park?
Not without shutting down part of Clark St, which isn't going to happen.

Yeah, not possible. My wife talked about the possibility of a walking bridge over Clark which is interesting. I am not sure what legalities would have to be addressed though. Edited by boubucarow

Maybe they could build some kind of pedestrian bridge. That might be cool.

Sad to see Marshall go since I love watching hitters against that curve. However, I think I like the deal without knowing who are the minor league adds. Wood is probably similar to Marshall as a starter at worst. He will be a cheap fill in at the back of the rotation and the Cubs don't have many (any?) options there. Also, the trade does free up an extra couple million although we aren't sure where that money is going as of yet (Cubans?).

Add in that Marshall is in the last year of his deal and will probably get overpaid next off season, it was a good time to get value for a set up man as the Cubs do have lefty options in the pen. Of course, I am not expected anything big in prospects in return. Just hope for a couple interesting adds.

Edited by boubucarow

you can never have enough Wood.

Baseball America has Sappelt as a 4th OF type with a good hit tool but lacks the power for the corners. Torreyes is described as a pure hitter and solid defender who could play everyday at 2B or as a utility infielder. Sappelt is AAA/MLB material this year while Torreyes was in low A ball at 18 last year.

Edited by boubucarow

Cubs add Sonnenstine and Corpas.

Meh.

Cubs add Sonnenstine and Corpas.

Meh.

Oof. Why do the Cubs insist on signing Tampa's trash? Spring arms just, hopefully.

Rosenthal has tweeted that the Marlins are close to acquiring Big Z.

Done

AP source: Marlins acquires Zambrano from Cubs

By STEVEN WINE, AP Sports Writer 12 hours, 25 minutes ago

MIAMI (AP)—Carlos Zambrano will get a much-needed fresh start with the Miami Marlins.

The Chicago Cubs traded their former ace Wednesday for Marlins right-hander Chris Volstad, pending physicals and approval by Major League Baseball, a person familiar with the negotiations said. The person confirmed the deal to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the teams hadn’t announced a deal.

Zambrano wore out his welcome in Chicago because of repeated meltdowns and tantrums. The most recent came when he cleaned out his locker and talked about retiring after giving up five homers and being ejected during a loss to Atlanta on Aug. 12. He was suspended without pay and then it was decided he would sit out the rest of the season.

In Miami he’ll be joining another former Chicagoan, Ozzie Guillen, who expressed interest in acquiring Zambrano when he was hired as the Marlins’ manager in October after stepping down as the White Sox’s skipper. Zambrano joins a franchise on the upswing after a winter spending spree resulted in the signings of All-Stars Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle and Heath Bell.

Zambrano finished last year 9-7 with a 4.82 ERA. The Cubs expected more when he signed a $91.5 million deal over five seasons through 2012, including a $17,875,000 million salary last season and $18 million in 2012. As part of the trade, they’ll likely pay much of his salary.

Volstad went 5-13 last year with an ERA of 4.89, and his career record is 32-39. He has given up 69 homers over the past three seasons, which could mean trouble for him at Wrigley Field.

Zambrano is 125-81 with a 3.60 ERA after breaking in with the Cubs in 2001, and he threw a no-hitter against the Astros. But he had difficulty controlling his temper.

In 2007, he got into a fight with teammate Michael Barrett, first in the dugout and then in the locker room. Barrett ended up with a bruise under his eye and a cut lip.

In 2009, he went on tirade against an umpire, throwing a baseball into the outfield, pretending to eject the umpire and slamming his glove against the dugout fence, a tantrum that led to a suspension.

In 2010, Zambrano was placed on the restricted list for six weeks and sent to anger management after a verbal altercation with then-teammate Derrek Lee.

Admittedly, I know nothing of this Volstad guy. Any good, or was he just a throw-in in a deal to just get rid of Zambrano?

Done

MIAMI (AP)—Carlos Zambrano will get a much-needed fresh start with the Miami Marlins.

The Chicago Cubs traded their former ace Wednesday for Marlins right-hander Chris Volstad, pending physicals and approval by Major League Baseball, a person familiar with the negotiations said. The person confirmed the deal to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the teams hadn’t announced a deal.

Zambrano wore out his welcome in Chicago because of repeated meltdowns and tantrums. The most recent came when he cleaned out his locker and talked about retiring after giving up five homers and being ejected during a loss to Atlanta on Aug. 12. He was suspended without pay and then it was decided he would sit out the rest of the season.

In Miami he’ll be joining another former Chicagoan, Ozzie Guillen, who expressed interest in acquiring Zambrano when he was hired as the Marlins’ manager in October after stepping down as the White Sox’s skipper. Zambrano joins a franchise on the upswing after a winter spending spree resulted in the signings of All-Stars Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle and Heath Bell.

Zambrano finished last year 9-7 with a 4.82 ERA. The Cubs expected more when he signed a $91.5 million deal over five seasons through 2012, including a $17,875,000 million salary last season and $18 million in 2012. As part of the trade, they’ll likely pay much of his salary.

Volstad went 5-13 last year with an ERA of 4.89, and his career record is 32-39. He has given up 69 homers over the past three seasons, which could mean trouble for him at Wrigley Field.

Zambrano is 125-81 with a 3.60 ERA after breaking in with the Cubs in 2001, and he threw a no-hitter against the Astros. But he had difficulty controlling his temper.

In 2007, he got into a fight with teammate Michael Barrett, first in the dugout and then in the locker room. Barrett ended up with a bruise under his eye and a cut lip.

In 2009, he went on tirade against an umpire, throwing a baseball into the outfield, pretending to eject the umpire and slamming his glove against the dugout fence, a tantrum that led to a suspension.

In 2010, Zambrano was placed on the restricted list for six weeks and sent to anger management after a verbal altercation with then-teammate Derrek Lee.

Admittedly, I know nothing of this Volstad guy. Any good, or was he just a throw-in in a deal to just get rid of Zambrano?
Highly touted prospect that didn't pan out. Think he was a mid first round pick.

Bad K rate, too hitable.

Done

Highly touted prospect that didn't pan out. Think he was a mid first round pick.

Bad K rate, too hitable.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect anything more than a back of rotation filler. He is cheap and under control for 3 years. Maybe he figures something out. If not, who cares, Big Z is gone. That is enough for me.

15M is a small price to pay to be rid of that big sack of suck

Cops investigating a sexual assault claim against Starlin Castro. Allegedly happened last day of the season. Can't find a link, but it was on WBBM radio this morning.

Rizzo for Cashner.

Rizzo for Cashner.

I like this trade from the Cubs' perspective. Rizzo has hit everywhere but in his brief MLB trial. Cashner seems better suited to be a reliever. I don't know much about the secondary prospects that were included in the trade but I doubt they swing the balance of the trade either way.

Rizzo for Cashner.

I'm pumpedguy will be wearing Cubby Blue for a long time.

Rizzo for Cashner.

I like this trade from the Cubs' perspective. Rizzo has hit everywhere but in his brief MLB trial. Cashner seems better suited to be a reliever. I don't know much about the secondary prospects that were included in the trade but I doubt they swing the balance of the trade either way.
I was at Cashner's only start last year and it was very impressive. But I am stunned the Cubs got Rizzo for him. I follow the Cub system pretty closely and I know next to nothing about Kyung-Min Na. The Padres have to think Cashner is back in the rotation by 2013 or they have no faith in Rizzo at all. Cashner is very typical of a lot of the top arms in recent Cub system history. He has a two plus pitches but has questions about his change up and command that one good start obviously didn't change.Now, LaHair will probably get his chance to play full time early as Rizzo gets time at Iowa. If Rizzo is ready at some point this year and LaHair proves to be more than a AAAA hitter, the Cubs may be able to flip him for another young piece.

Rizzo for Cashner.

I was at Cashner's only start last year and it was very impressive. But I am stunned the Cubs got Rizzo for him. I follow the Cub system pretty closely and I know next to nothing about Kyung-Min Na. The Padres have to think Cashner is back in the rotation by 2013 or they have no faith in Rizzo at all. Cashner is very typical of a lot of the top arms in recent Cub system history. He has a two plus pitches but has questions about his change up and command that one good start obviously didn't change.Now, LaHair will probably get his chance to play full time early as Rizzo gets time at Iowa. If Rizzo is ready at some point this year and LaHair proves to be more than a AAAA hitter, the Cubs may be able to flip him for another young piece.
LaHair is a nice story for when the team gets to Mesa but he doesn't seem like a very good Plan A

Rizzo for Cashner.

LaHair is a nice story for when the team gets to Mesa but he doesn't seem like a very good Plan A
For this team this year, they really only have something to gain by giving LaHair time. As soon as Rizzo is ready nothing will be standing in his way.

Rizzo for Cashner.

For this team this year, they really only have something to gain by giving LaHair time. As soon as Rizzo is ready nothing will be standing in his way.
This is a bad offense

Rizzo for Cashner.

This is a bad offense
No kidding

Rizzo for Cashner.

I'm not happy about this one as a Padre homer, although I'll admit I lost a lot of confidence in Rizzo after watching him get overmatched much of last summer. I'd like to think it was a small sample size and due to youth, but that swing looks looooong and concerns of a slow bat are real, IMO. I have far more trust in Jed than Josh, and I don't like the fact that the Pads seemingly sold low on Rizzo due to a perceived log jam at 1B that was self created. We have a huge black hole at SS in the organization - couldn't we have held Rizzo until an solid SS prospect became available? I have hopes for Cashner, but betting 25 yr old big arms with rotator cuff issues is like playing russian roulette with 3 bullets.

All of this AND Paul Maholm?

Where do I sign up?

Where do I sign up?

I for one am very pleased with the moves so far. This team would have been very very lucky to contend of they went all out to do so. I wasn't going to feel good about 2012/13 no matter what they did but now I see reason for optimism about 2014+ and when the albatross contracts are over I have no doubt this team will have little trouble adding the needed pieces to be a consistently good team. Building the team any other way would be very irresponsible.

Where do I sign up?

suck it

Some notes on the system after the trades at Baseball America...

- Rizzo as a prospect is 3rd in the system behind Jackson and Baez. In Jim Callis's top 50 prospects they are #28 (Jackson), #31, and #42 (Rizzo).

- Rizzo is also the 3rd best 1B prospect in baseball.

- None of the other acquired (so far) prospects crack the top 10 who are right now Jackson, Baez, Rizzo, Szczur, McNutt, Maples, Dolis, Castillo, Lake, Vitters, and Vogelbach slides to #11.

- Torreyes (needs to max out potential to be a big leaguer), Cates (new to pitching and has a lot of work to go), and Sappelt (4th OF overmatched in CF) would fit into the back half of the top 30 in the listed order.

- The Cubs had the #14 system prior to the trades and now have moved up a spot or two.

Edited by boubucarow

Man, we love ourselves some Wood.

We've got Woods