What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Cubs Thread*** (2 Viewers)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-talk-eamus-catuli-sign-0323-20120323,0,2515552.story

A familiar Wrigleyville sign recalling the Cubs' futile past may itself be a thing of the past.

The well-known "Eamus Catuli!" sign and nearby numbers high atop the Lakeview Baseball Club building beyond Wrigley Field's right-field wall have been taken down for rooftop repairs, and the numbers may not be back.

Mark Schlenker, part of the ownership group that bought the building and business out of bankruptcy in January, said Thursday that while "Eamus Catuli" likely will return, the numbers marking the years since the Cubs last won a division, pennant and World Series are being reconsidered.

"As the new owner, I respect the tradition of Wrigley Field," Schlenker said. "At the same time, I'm also open to new ideas. Someone presented to me that the sign shows futility and perhaps we need to put the past behind us and go forward."
I actually know a guy that's part of the new ownership group and we had a pretty long talk about how this whole thing needs to be marketed properly. The person I know is not Mark Schlenker, but I'm a little surprised they're even thinking of going in this direction.

If it goes, I'd be genuinely pissed off.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-talk-eamus-catuli-sign-0323-20120323,0,2515552.story

A familiar Wrigleyville sign recalling the Cubs' futile past may itself be a thing of the past.The well-known "Eamus Catuli!" sign and nearby numbers high atop the Lakeview Baseball Club building beyond Wrigley Field's right-field wall have been taken down for rooftop repairs, and the numbers may not be back.Mark Schlenker, part of the ownership group that bought the building and business out of bankruptcy in January, said Thursday that while "Eamus Catuli" likely will return, the numbers marking the years since the Cubs last won a division, pennant and World Series are being reconsidered."As the new owner, I respect the tradition of Wrigley Field," Schlenker said. "At the same time, I'm also open to new ideas. Someone presented to me that the sign shows futility and perhaps we need to put the past behind us and go forward."
I actually know a guy that's part of the new ownership group and we had a pretty long talk about how this whole thing needs to be marketed properly. The person I know is not Mark Schlenker, but I'm a little surprised they're even thinking of going in this direction. If it goes, I'd be genuinely pissed off.
I wouldn't be pissed off to see it go, but I'd rather it stayed. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging the reality of the situation and having some fun with it.

A familiar Wrigleyville sign recalling the Cubs' futile past may itself be a thing of the past.The well-known "Eamus Catuli!" sign and nearby numbers high atop the Lakeview Baseball Club building beyond Wrigley Field's right-field wall have been taken down for rooftop repairs, and the numbers may not be back.Mark Schlenker, part of the ownership group that bought the building and business out of bankruptcy in January, said Thursday that while "Eamus Catuli" likely will return, the numbers marking the years since the Cubs last won a division, pennant and World Series are being reconsidered."As the new owner, I respect the tradition of Wrigley Field," Schlenker said. "At the same time, I'm also open to new ideas. Someone presented to me that the sign shows futility and perhaps we need to put the past behind us and go forward."
I actually know a guy that's part of the new ownership group and we had a pretty long talk about how this whole thing needs to be marketed properly. The person I know is not Mark Schlenker, but I'm a little surprised they're even thinking of going in this direction. If it goes, I'd be genuinely pissed off.
I want them to keep the numbers since the year after they win a world series every single Cubs fan will love seeing the 00's in all of those numbers. I will never want to put the past behind since that past is the reason that if they win a championship will be the best day for Cubs fans then any day for any sports fan in the world.

Paul Maholm.

I like him a lot for this year. Nothing spectacular, just a solid under-the-radar type of pitcher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Barring trades in the next week it looks like we have our opening day Cubs almost figured out.

RF DeJesus

CF Byrd

LF Soriano

SS Castro

3B Stewart

2B Barney

1B LaHair

C Soto

BENCH - Clevenger, Mather, Baker, Dewitt, Johnson

SP - Dempster, Garza, Samardzija, Maholm, Volstad

RP - Marmol, Wood, Dolis, Russell

That leaves 3 spots probably all in the bullpen. Rodrigo Lopez looks like the long man. Corpas is probably in. That leaves one among Camp, De La Cruz, and Castillo. More roster moves too come since they need to create 40 man space (currently at 39) for Mather, Dewitt, and possibly a RP.

Dale Sveum said this afternoon's Chicago Cubs lineup against the Los Angeles Dodgers is likely a preview of his Opening Day lineup next Thursday against Washington.

DeJesus RF

Barney 2B

Castro SS

LaHair 1B

Soriano LF

Stewart 3B

Byrd CF

Soto C

Dempster P

I hope Soto proves quickly that he should be hitting higher in the lineup.

I don't know too much about LaHair, but I know I like him better than Carlos Pena.
Wait a month
I think LaHair could have a similar OPS. Everybody seems to think Pena is the better defender but only one side of that concerns me. Pena was a bad ball hit fielder and LaHair might actually be better. Yet Pena's ability to stab bad throws from his teammates could be a big loss. I expect Castro to improve and Stewart will be an upgrade of ARam but Pena saved a lot of errors last year. From what I have seen of LaHair, I don't him doing the same. We will have to wait for Rizzo for that to happen.

I don't know too much about LaHair, but I know I like him better than Carlos Pena.
Wait a month
I think LaHair could have a similar OPS. Everybody seems to think Pena is the better defender but only one side of that concerns me. Pena was a bad ball hit fielder and LaHair might actually be better. Yet Pena's ability to stab bad throws from his teammates could be a big loss. I expect Castro to improve and Stewart will be an upgrade of ARam but Pena saved a lot of errors last year. From what I have seen of LaHair, I don't him doing the same. We will have to wait for Rizzo for that to happen.
LaHair is a nice story and I hope he succeeds for all the other late 20s bats trapped in AAAA purgatory. His strikeout rate against big league pitching is a concern. It won't take much for him to slip into Pena-territory.No matter what his makeup is, there's got to be tremendous pressure on him for his first real opportunity after over 2700 AAA PAs. Plus, there's Rizzo over his shoulder.

Wait a month
LaHair is a nice story and I hope he succeeds for all the other late 20s bats trapped in AAAA purgatory. His strikeout rate against big league pitching is a concern. It won't take much for him to slip into Pena-territory.No matter what his makeup is, there's got to be tremendous pressure on him for his first real opportunity after over 2700 AAA PAs. Plus, there's Rizzo over his shoulder.
Yeah, he has to know if that he isn't hitting by June, his major league career could be over.

Wait a month
Yeah, he has to know if that he isn't hitting by June, his major league career could be over.
His name could be mispronounced in Japan by this time next year

I love the Cubs, but really, they haven't been this bad since the Jerry Morales years. This season will be brutal.

"In Theo I trust" for the future though.

I really feel bad for LaHair. The guy spends six years in AAA and then his back starts aching the week before his first MLB Opening Day. The guy can't catch a break.

Got them to two outs in the top of the eighth with a lead, and then I had to leave to come back to work.

:wall: But am I really all that surprised? Sheesh.

Dempster had his splitter working all day and the stat line shows it.

Woody needs to challenge people coming out of the pen.

Tracy and Desmond hit some pretty good pitches low and out of the zone by Marmol to take the lead, he gets a pass.

Granted it wasn't a good day to hit and I hate being a negative Nancy, but I'm pretty sure this cubs line-up is THE worst I've seen in my lifetime. I checked all the opening day lineups dating back to 1980. Here, you be the judge........If Sveum can get these guys to win 75 games I'll be impressed.

Might be a fun-ish year if the cubs run like this all year.

Oh and so far I like this Mather guy

Last edited by a moderator:
This can't bode well for LaHair. Platooning with Jeff Baker?

#Cubs Sveum picks Baker over LaHair at 1B vs Narveson: "[baker] swings the bat too good against left-handers to get him out of there."

Users who are viewing this thread