What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Cubs Thread*** (2 Viewers)

'rascal said:
'boubucarow said:
'Eephus said:
'Annyong said:
'boubucarow said:
'pantagrapher said:
'Eephus said:
'pantagrapher said:
LaHair can LaHit. His swing isn't as pretty as some lefties, but it does look effortless. Ball just sails off his bat.
One of the nicest stories of the year
It really is. And I admit I went into this season telling anyone who'd listen that he'd be pulled for Rizzo come June.
However, I didn't think they would have to give consideration to LaHair playing LF when Rizzo is judged ready because they will have to keep his bat in the lineup.
is this a thing? Has he ever played OF? How about Rizzo, is he athletic enough to play some OF?
Rizzo has never played anywhere but 1B as a professional. LaHair played some OF during his six year AAA sojourn. I think he'd probably try on catcher's gear if it meant staying in the big leagues.
His short stint in Chicago last year was almost entirely in the OF (107 innings). He wasn't horrible out there. The problem would be that unless an injury strikes, Soriano would have to be benched.
How is that a problem?
Simply that it remains to be seen if the Cubs would actually do it.

Yeah, I think they need to figure out if he can play LF.
I think Kasper/Brently talked recently about the Cubs not playing LaHair in the outfield at all during the spring. In their eyes, the Cubs wanted LaHair to know he was the 1B and for Rizzo to concentrate on getting better instead of making a team he had no spot on. Like I stated earlier in this thread, LaHair played almost exclusively in the corner outfield spots in his call up last fall. I think they know LaHair can play a passable LF but they want to give Soriano time given how hard he has worked with McKay so far (along with 54 million other reasons) and give Rizzo the opportunity to address the holes in his swing before being called up (and avoid Super 2).

LaHair and Samardzija are doing the impossible... proving Jim Hendry to be even worse at his job that we all could have imagined.

I think Kasper/Brently talked recently about the Cubs not playing LaHair in the outfield at all during the spring. In their eyes, the Cubs wanted LaHair to know he was the 1B and for Rizzo to concentrate on getting better instead of making a team he had no spot on. Like I stated earlier in this thread, LaHair played almost exclusively in the corner outfield spots in his call up last fall. I think they know LaHair can play a passable LF but they want to give Soriano time given how hard he has worked with McKay so far (along with 54 million other reasons) and give Rizzo the opportunity to address the holes in his swing before being called up (and avoid Super 2).
Thanks. Just thinking about the future. Maybe Soriano will start hitting and they can deal him, Dempster, and Marmol for some prospects. A guy can dream anyway.

Thanks. Just thinking about the future. Maybe Soriano will start hitting and they can deal him, Dempster, and Marmol for some prospects. A guy can dream anyway.
There are 54 million reasons why a Soriano trade won't happen

Ugh. Marmol.Remember when this guy could just toy with batters? Doesn't seem like that long ago.
He's always been wild. It's an adventure whether or not he'll be effectively wild enough to get the job done or just blow it entirely. Looking like the latter today.

Ugh. Marmol.Remember when this guy could just toy with batters? Doesn't seem like that long ago.
He's always been wild. It's an adventure whether or not he'll be effectively wild enough to get the job done or just blow it entirely. Looking like the latter today.
Not always wild, but often wild. He's posted a WHIP below 1.20 thrice. Even his career 1.29 WHIP isn't horrible.I think the problem these days is he doesn't have the kind of fastball he can fall back on. He's throwing almost all sliders. And he's just not going to throw that slider for strikes with any consistency. Batters know it, and they're just waiting him out. As I type this he walks in a run.

Being wild when you are striking out 16 per 9 innings is much different than when you are striking out less then 9 per 9 innings. He can't control anything anymore. I remember him making Braun, Fielder, and Hart look like semi-pro players for a save. He just is nowhere near that pitcher anymore.

Being wild when you are striking out 16 per 9 innings is much different than when you are striking out less then 9 per 9 innings. He can't control anything anymore. I remember him making Braun, Fielder, and Hart look like semi-pro players for a save. He just is nowhere near that pitcher anymore.
I remember. :sad:When he, Guzman, and Wood were healthy and on top of their game it was over if they had a lead after the 6th. I think that was only for like a week and a half though.

There are 54 million reasons why a Soriano trade won't happen
I get that. I'm sure the Cubs will gladly pay part of his salary. Looking like there won't be too many suitors for Marmol either...
Soriano doesn't offer much offensively and plays the easiest defensive position to fill (and poorly at that).He's averaged 1.0 WAR over the past four years. Giving him a huge benefit of the doubt that he won't decline any further in his age 36-38 seasons, you could ballpark that the Cubs would probably have to pick up $12M to $14M per year of Soriano's salary. Even then, I doubt they'd get any takers.

Not always wild, but often wild. He's posted a WHIP below 1.20 thrice. Even his career 1.29 WHIP isn't horrible.I think the problem these days is he doesn't have the kind of fastball he can fall back on. He's throwing almost all sliders. And he's just not going to throw that slider for strikes with any consistency. Batters know it, and they're just waiting him out. As I type this he walks in a run.
I think he DOES have the kind of fastball he can fall back on, but he doesn't believe that and sometimes that's more important. He quit throwing it when pretty much nobody was hitting it and he wasn't throwing his other pitches for strikes. I don't get it.

Went to the game yesterday, had the best seats ever.....SEC 15, Row 6, seats 101-104(6th row behind Cubs on-deck circle)

Didn't see a single pitch :cry:

Had to head home early to take care of the little ones........priorities :wall:

At least the tickets were free.

Marmol looked ok last night. Trade him to the Red Sox for Middlebrooks!
Marmol looked like crap last night. Walked the first two guys. Got bailed out by the shift, otherwise the ball Freeman scorched up the middle would have been a run. Then a wild pitch. He whiffed the last two guys. I'll give him credit for that.

Marmol looked ok last night. Trade him to the Red Sox for Middlebrooks!
Marmol looked like crap last night. Walked the first two guys. Got bailed out by the shift, otherwise the ball Freeman scorched up the middle would have been a run. Then a wild pitch. He whiffed the last two guys. I'll give him credit for that.
I thought it was a funny that the benches get warned the half inning before Marmols enters the game. If anyone can hit 10 men in a row on accident, it is Carlos. Marmol was lucky to get out of the inning scoreless. It was good to see him use his fastball throughout the inning and he did get squeezed on the second walk. However, I don't have much hope he returns to a successful late inning reliever.

Castro is hitting .350 and maybe I have an untrained eye but he just has not looked comfortable at the plate much at all this year. He also had at least 2 homers taken away by the wind in Wrigley. I think he is beginning what could be a long magical stretch of years at the plate where batting titles could be his to lose.

Samardzija has looked great but he is struggling to finish off games. It is usually pretty obvious when he needs to be taken out so far this year. I suppose that is understandable with his lack of experience starting. Assuming he strengthens over the course of the season and into future years, the Cubs have at least a #3 starter (scouting wise) with more upside than that.

I really like watching this team. Really only Soriano and Marmol are hard to watch.

I think he DOES have the kind of fastball he can fall back on, but he doesn't believe that and sometimes that's more important. He quit throwing it when pretty much nobody was hitting it and he wasn't throwing his other pitches for strikes. I don't get it.
This is because he's a converted position player who just throws the ball and has never and will never know HOW to pitch.

Maholm looked good again today.....good to see after his first two starts.
Also, Dolis has been great pounding the zone with that heavy sinker. After walking a batter an outing to start the season, he hasn't walked a player in 8 appearances. The Cubs could have something in him.

This is because he's a converted position player who just throws the ball and has never and will never know HOW to pitch.
He struck out 138 guys in only 78 innings just throwing the ball.

This team is much more fun to watch than last year's team.
No kidding. I had to force myself to watch last year. Now, I am excited to watch the Cubs despite the fact that I know they probably are not going to score 3 runs. So far, Sveum is looking like a tremendous hire.I have a question. Is it just me or does Castro look like he is far more upset this year when he screws up in the field and at the plate?

No kidding. I had to force myself to watch last year. Now, I am excited to watch the Cubs despite the fact that I know they probably are not going to score 3 runs. So far, Sveum is looking like a tremendous hire.I have a question. Is it just me or does Castro look like he is far more upset this year when he screws up in the field and at the plate?
Haven't noticed the Castro thing, but it wouldn't surprise me. I don't think Sveum brought the kid gloves to the North Side, so I'm guessing when Castro makes a bad play, he knows he's going to hear about it later.

Haven't noticed the Castro thing, but it wouldn't surprise me. I don't think Sveum brought the kid gloves to the North Side, so I'm guessing when Castro makes a bad play, he knows he's going to hear about it later.
He is reacting strongly on the field but I can't remember if I saw him do that in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread