What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Cubs Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Hopefully Hamels can regain early season form. His ERA went up over a run in July. He does have ERA under 3 away from Arlington in 10 starts. But does have an ERA over 8 in 6 day game starts.  :wall: Anything will be better than Chatwood. Enough is enough with him. It's now been confirmed he is heading to the bullpen.  :thumbup:  

Having 4 lefties in the rotation will be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Encyclopedia Brown said:
The Cubs supposedly offered him to San Diego for Tyson Ross, but they balked because of how the Cashner for Rizzo trade had played out. 
The Padres got burned taking a pitcher over a hitter, so they...again take a pitcher over a hitter? 

Hamels is looking like a no brainer to pick up his 2019 option at this point. He's the Cubs best pitcher right now :lol:

Should be interesting with Hendricks arbitration eligible. Gonna have a ####load of money tied to that staff. 

$120M in the rotation and they're starting some clown named Alec Mills who promptly gives up a first inning salami.  :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Maddon infuriates me sometimes.

If you’re only going to let Montgomery face one hitter in the bottom of the 5th why would you let him lead off the top?

He does that crap all the damn time. 

Brandon Morrow down for the rest of the season with an unhealed bone bruise.

Theo believes the injury occurred when Morrow pitched in a game on a third consecutive day (with the Cubs up 7-1), and he mentions specifically that Morrow was scheduled not to pitch that day. 

Theo is usually so cautious and non-committal with his words, that it seems maybe that comment was directed at a certain someone in the Cubs dugout.

Brandon Morrow down for the rest of the season with an unhealed bone bruise.

Theo believes the injury occurred when Morrow pitched in a game on a third consecutive day (with the Cubs up 7-1), and he mentions specifically that Morrow was scheduled not to pitch that day. 

Theo is usually so cautious and non-committal with his words, that it seems maybe that comment was directed at a certain someone in the Cubs dugout.
if you think THAT'S bad, wait til you hear how Strop got hurt  :X

Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein said shortstop Addison Russell will get a "conditional second chance" to remain with the organization.

Russell was suspended 40 games for violating Major League Baseball's domestic violence policy and still has 29 games of that suspension left to serve this year. The Cubs consulted with Russell's ex-wife (the victim of the abuse), and Epstein said "She felt like this was Addison's best chance to get his life in order." The former elite prospect's career has been disappointing thus far -- he has a .242/.313/.392 slash line in 533 career games and his results have been trending in the wrong direction. His role moving forward could be that of a part-time player on the Cubs' loaded roster. He will turn 25 years old next week.

Source: Sportsnet

I don't follow baseball that closely anymore but is there anyway to get out of Hayward's deal by trading him? (Or would they have to eat a large part of that deal?) From what I understand he opted in this offseason. Secondly, has there ever been a player of his stature ever hit for as little power? Just seems a bit weird to me that going from ATL/STL to a Wrigley and his power #s go down.

I don't follow baseball that closely anymore but is there anyway to get out of Hayward's deal by trading him? (Or would they have to eat a large part of that deal?) From what I understand he opted in this offseason. Secondly, has there ever been a player of his stature ever hit for as little power? Just seems a bit weird to me that going from ATL/STL to a Wrigley and his power #s go down.
 Nobody is taking J Heys contract, unless the cubs throw in a boatload if cash, or another cost controlled player 

thank god he can field his position 

Theo gave an interesting interview to The Athletic. He basically said that this season will determine whether the window of contention stays open or they tear it all down and start over.

He didn't give specifics, and talked in platitudes (as he usually does), but you can sense that he feels if Schwarber/Happ/Contreras/Almora don't take the next step in their evolution as players, but instead remain stagnant, then it doesn't make sense to dole out what will be ginormous dollars to Bryant/Rizzo/Baez in the upcoming years. Those three are good enough to keep the Cubs competitive, but they are not enough to keep them as World Series contenders if the younger players fail to step up. 

It sounds dramatic, but I can see his point. 

Theo gave an interesting interview to The Athletic. He basically said that this season will determine whether the window of contention stays open or they tear it all down and start over.

He didn't give specifics, and talked in platitudes (as he usually does), but you can sense that he feels if Schwarber/Happ/Contreras/Almora don't take the next step in their evolution as players, but instead remain stagnant, then it doesn't make sense to dole out what will be ginormous dollars to Bryant/Rizzo/Baez in the upcoming years. Those three are good enough to keep the Cubs competitive, but they are not enough to keep them as World Series contenders if the younger players fail to step up. 

It sounds dramatic, but I can see his point. 
In other words, the "all bats" strategy worked for 2016 when they found some pitching, but now that the purchased pitching is aging/oft-injured they're going to need to trade some of those guys to get someone to throw the baseball.

This team is plenty good enough to win another World Series as constructed (with several caveats).  I agree with him though.  The window is going to slam shut after this season unless several of those guys take the next step. 

And they need to find another ace.  Darvish isn't it. 

Ian Happ sent to Iowa.

It seems a culmination of things. He owns one of the worst swing and miss rates in all of baseball. He has been brutal this spring, while Albert Almora has been very good. Joe and the coaches love Mark Zagunis, so that is who will replace him on the opening day roster.

He was the first batter of the 2018 major league season, and he hit a homerun. Now, he's in Iowa. 

Can they just eat Chatwood's salary already and move on? 

Guy has no business on a MLB (or AAA for that matter) roster at this point. If they need an arm for the sake of having an arm, they can look to their farm system (at any level) or the streets and find an upgrade on him.

Users who are viewing this thread