What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Cubs Thread*** (1 Viewer)

If Theo does Joe wrong, I hope San Diego or the NYM come calling with an open checkbook.

They are two teams at different stages, but Joe would be an excellent addition. 

Maddon out.

Time to move on but he isn't the guy whiffing on these FA pickups. Can't fault for spending but man there's so many whiffs.

Team has been built with the same exact type offensive players. Lets get a bit of speed on the bases instead of being a station to station team thats always waiting for the next home run.

The most shocking thing of the season was Yu and Chatwood getting over their control issues at almost the same time. So bizarre.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sold on this.  What happens the first time Ross needs to discipline someone?  Do they take him seriously?  I guess it doesn't really matter.  Maybe Theo or Jed handle that?

I'm not sold on this.  What happens the first time Ross needs to discipline someone?  Do they take him seriously?  I guess it doesn't really matter.  Maybe Theo or Jed handle that?
x2

Terrible idea IMO. I don't foresee the Cubs doing much next season anyway. Boring station to station team reliant on the long ball with an uninspiring rotation and awful bullpen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kris Bryant seems to be taking the grievance regarding his service time very personally. He is still angry about it, four and a half years later. The situation might be untenable. 

I keep seeing trade scenarios on various blogs. 

One has Bryant to Philadelphia for Segura and their top prospect Alec Brohm. 

Another is Bryant and Almora to Atlanta for Max Fried and Ender Inciarte. 

I doubt anything will happen with Bryant before there's a ruling on his grievance.  There's a huge difference in his trade value depending on the outcome.

The Cubs convention begins in earnest with the Cubs alienating Anthony Rizzo,  the most popular player since Ryne Sandberg. 

They told him they won't work on a long-term extension, and will not promise to pick up next year's team option. 

I will miss Pedro Strop. He was one of the best middle relievers in team history. Rock solid for a very long time. 

The Clevenger trade is highlighted with Arrieta, but it would have been a winning trade even if Strop was the only player in the deal. 

The departures of Strop and Edwards mark the end of the 2016 championship bullpen.  They were decent to start with but the deadline addition of Chapman and Montgomery was huge.

I'm trying not to get too excited.  Pessimistic me is aware that as soon as I get into it they'll start losing or cancel the season. 

I certainly think they showed their hand today with what they're going to do. Cut payroll at all costs.

I'd think in a normal season that Schwarber would have been tradeable. With things so up in the air with spring training/regular season attendance, can't really fault the move.

Encyclopedia Brown said:
Ricketts is claiming one billion in debt. The Marquee Network did not deliver a single cent of revenue, the luxury hotel across the street from Wrigley Field is operating at 10% capacity. 
I didn't hear this, none of it surprises me though.  

I may have to make a road trip to Wrigleyville soon, I'm sure its far different than the last time I was there.  

Shelby Miller has looked very good this spring. There is no spot for him in the rotation (right now), but if he can come in and be a high leverage reliever, and maybe sometime in the future get the opportunity to start, that would be great. 

Shelby Miller has looked very good this spring. There is no spot for him in the rotation (right now), but if he can come in and be a high leverage reliever, and maybe sometime in the future get the opportunity to start, that would be great. 
The pen is going to be this teams downfall 

So what is the word about Arrieta?  I am looking at picking up either Arrieta or Wainwright in a QS/K centric pts scoring league.  Has this delivery change really worked and his breaking ball will be back or is he just passed his prime?

Has this delivery change really worked and his breaking ball will be back or is he just passed his prime?
It can be both of those things. The Jake from 2015-17 is probably gone, but he has been working on his delivery and he says he feels great. 

He also goes from an atrocious infield defense to one of the best. The Philadelphia infield affected Jake on a psychological level. He felt like he had to strike everyone out because he no faith in the players behind him.

I would take Jake over Wainwright. 

It can be both of those things. The Jake from 2015-17 is probably gone, but he has been working on his delivery and he says he feels great. 

He also goes from an atrocious infield defense to one of the best. The Philadelphia infield affected Jake on a psychological level. He felt like he had to strike everyone out because he no faith in the players behind him.

I would take Jake over Wainwright. 
That is the way I am leaning

The Cubs are rocking a 32% strikeout rate.

That's ungood.
They've been that way since 2017, and really hard for me to watch since then.  It's like the team approach that worked so well in 2016 is now lost on everyone but Rizzo.  They seem to have a "we won the series, time to get mine" mentality. 

That was a thoroughly unexpected three-game sweep of the World Champions.

Jake Marisnick might give Ian Happ the Wally Pipp treatment. He has been excellent this year, especially patrolling centerfield.

Matt Duffy has a jib with a nice cut to it. 

Users who are viewing this thread