What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's Talk Penn State Football (3 Viewers)

ClownCausedChaos

I ain't got time to bleed
So, the offense is practically non-existant except for Silas Redd, who is becoming a beast, and Derrick Moye. The coaches refuse to go with one QB to let the offense find a rhythm. The defense is unquestionably outstanding. Their only loss this year is to Alabama, and I just learned today that that game was the closest that Alabama has played all year.

However, the rest of their schedule to this point has been lackluster with no impressive victories under their belt. They're atop their devision in the Big 10 by two games with three games to go in the regular season. However, after a bye week this week, they have Nebraska, Ohio State, and Wisconsin. If they win the division, they go to the new Big 10 Championship, possibly against Michigan State. That's a heck of a run to close the season.

So, what does everyone think? Does the defense continue to hold and the offense do just enough to continue to win? Or is Penn State about to be exposed?

I love Penn State football, and always have. Having the bye week to rest Redd and the defense before Nebraska is huge, but I think they lose two of the last three, but back in to the Big 10 Championship Game. They lose that, however, end the regular season at 9-4, and end up in a middle tier bowl.

I'm interested to hear what other fans think.

I think it's very possible that they lose their next 3 games. Granted, I've only seen them against Indiana where both teams looked absolutely horrible.

With all due respect to PSU and JoePa, I will be pretty surprised if they do any better than 1-2. I think 0-3 is a very real possibility.

PSU/OSU may be the ugliest game in NCAA history. I predict a 3-2 PSU win.

Last edited by a moderator:
Their only loss this year is to Alabama, and I just learned today that that game was the closest that Alabama has played all year.
I dont think PSU is as good as their record might tell you, but I think the Alabame game is more telling than people realize right now. Bama averages 39.4 ppg, PSU held them to 27. Bama is giving up 6.9ppg, best in college football, and PSU scored 11 against them (2nd most theyve given up this year).I dont think these numbers matter if were talking about PSU stacking up to Top 8 team, but I think it could be telling for their matchups vs NEB, tOSU, and Wisky. I think the defense is good enough to neutralize Martinez, Miller, and Russell's ability to run and keep PSU in the game. I also think Redd is good enough to help get the offense enough points to pull out wins.Im starting to get more optimistic and think PSU goes 2-1 over this stretch with the most likely loss coming against Wisky, but after their game vs OSU last week, I wouldnt even rule that out. After seeing MSU last week and with how bad they are on the road, if PSU did amazingly make it to Indianapolis for the B10CG, I like our chances vs MSU considering getting to that point means we probably went 2-1 in these next 3 games. That said, I wouldnt be shocked if they go 0-3

They could win out or they could lose out. A true testament to how ungood both PSU and the Big10 are this year.

Every non-conference team they beat is now sitting on top of their respective conference. Gotta think the computers are going to start liking PSU more and more.

I agree with the 9-4 and a mid-tier bowl prediction, which quite frankly would have thrilled me at the beginning of the season.

I think the biggest question looming now is JoePa's potential retirement and the Urban Meyer speculation.

Their only loss this year is to Alabama, and I just learned today that that game was the closest that Alabama has played all year.
I dont think PSU is as good as their record might tell you, but I think the Alabame game is more telling than people realize right now. Bama averages 39.4 ppg, PSU held them to 27. Bama is giving up 6.9ppg, best in college football, and PSU scored 11 against them (2nd most theyve given up this year).I dont think these numbers matter if were talking about PSU stacking up to Top 8 team, but I think it could be telling for their matchups vs NEB, tOSU, and Wisky. I think the defense is good enough to neutralize Martinez, Miller, and Russell's ability to run and keep PSU in the game. I also think Redd is good enough to help get the offense enough points to pull out wins.Im starting to get more optimistic and think PSU goes 2-1 over this stretch with the most likely loss coming against Wisky, but after their game vs OSU last week, I wouldnt even rule that out. After seeing MSU last week and with how bad they are on the road, if PSU did amazingly make it to Indianapolis for the B10CG, I like our chances vs MSU considering getting to that point means we probably went 2-1 in these next 3 games. That said, I wouldnt be shocked if they go 0-3
Exactly my point on the Alabama game. Looking at the numbers, a lot of good things can be pulled from that loss. After the last several years, I try really hard not to get my hopes up as a PSU fan. I'm trying again this yeat not to get too excited, but I feel myself giving in and the excitement building. Prior to the season, I was in the Bolden camp, but I don't think that there is any question that McGloin gives them a better chance to win. Although, I don't think the coaching staff has been fait to either one with the stunts they've pulled rotating them in and out.

Prior to the season, I was in the Bolden camp, but I don't think that there is any question that McGloin gives them a better chance to win. Although, I don't think the coaching staff has been fait to either one with the stunts they've pulled rotating them in and out.
Prior to the season, I was in the Paul Jones camp. In fact, I wanted him to start last year but instead the redshirt him and the rest is history. Oh well. :kicksrock:

Alumnus and season ticket holder here.

Like many, it's hard not to be pessimistic especially seeing how this offense has consistently under-performed.

Having said that, though, this team seems more and more to have "IT" in the ability to win (no matter how ugly). Other than the 1994 team, most of even the great Penn State teams of the past generation have never generated a lot of style points or pinball-score blowouts. Even in the Alabama game this year PSU controlled the 1st half of the 1st quarter before the quarterback shuffle began and the offense bogged down until eventually the defense broke down. And, as others have mentioned, even in our worst game we played Alabama tougher than even more highly-regarded teams like Arkansas.

Nebraska next weekend could very well be Joe's last home game. The crowd and energy will be there. The defense will be there. If the offense shows up for at least a half, they should win.

OSU--if they stay with a run-first offense, I think they're very beatable even at the Horseshoe.

Wisconsin is going to be tough but if PSU wins the 1st two then they win the division and go to the B10 championship no matter what the outcome of this game. Maybe that takes some of the motivation away from Wisconsin for this game.

Having seen this team play in person 6 of 9 games so far this year, if you'd told me we'd be 8-1 (especially after the Alabama game), I'd have thought you were crazy. No reason this "formula" can't work a few more times.

Every non-conference team they beat is now sitting on top of their respective conference. Gotta think the computers are going to start liking PSU more and more.
Actually, that's not correct at all. None of Indiana State, Temple, or Eastern Michigan are at the top of their respective conference. Temple is currently at the top of the Eastern Division of the Mid Atlantic Conference, but they've played one more conference game than both Ohio and Miami (OH) so if either of those teams win Temple would only be tied at the top of their division.

Alumnus and season ticket holder here.Like many, it's hard not to be pessimistic especially seeing how this offense has consistently under-performed.Having said that, though, this team seems more and more to have "IT" in the ability to win (no matter how ugly). Other than the 1994 team, most of even the great Penn State teams of the past generation have never generated a lot of style points or pinball-score blowouts. Even in the Alabama game this year PSU controlled the 1st half of the 1st quarter before the quarterback shuffle began and the offense bogged down until eventually the defense broke down. And, as others have mentioned, even in our worst game we played Alabama tougher than even more highly-regarded teams like Arkansas.Nebraska next weekend could very well be Joe's last home game. The crowd and energy will be there. The defense will be there. If the offense shows up for at least a half, they should win.OSU--if they stay with a run-first offense, I think they're very beatable even at the Horseshoe.Wisconsin is going to be tough but if PSU wins the 1st two then they win the division and go to the B10 championship no matter what the outcome of this game. Maybe that takes some of the motivation away from Wisconsin for this game.Having seen this team play in person 6 of 9 games so far this year, if you'd told me we'd be 8-1 (especially after the Alabama game), I'd have thought you were crazy. No reason this "formula" can't work a few more times.
STOP MAKING ME WANT TO BELIEVE!!

With all due respect to PSU and JoePa, I will be pretty surprised if they do any better than 1-2. I think 0-3 is a very real possibility.

I'm an alum, and as much as I want to believe, I feel the same way. They've done better than I expected, but beating the teams they've beaten so far isn't going to set the world on fire. Beat the next 3 and it's a different story. Basically, that defense is good...but it's not good enough to bail out the offense every-#######-game.

I find it impossible to believe Joepa will retire

If he was going to, i think the best move would be announce it now, it should crank the motivation level for the team and its fans through the roof

I find it impossible to believe Joepa will retire
Interesting snippet from the rumor mill from another site:
For those that have been on the boards for years you know I have connections close to the Penn State program. Just some information regarding Spanier's comments yesterday. It is fully Joe's decision on whether he wants to return to coach next year--at this point he has accepted the fact that he likely will be unable to continue to coach and has made sure that "certain" members of his current staff are protected and will be retained for "an extended period of time". That doesn't include Jay for those that are concerned. There have been discussions with two people about possibly being the next HC. Nothing is finalized but both have an agreement in place. One on the staff--one not on the staff. When Joe decides to retire they process will be extremely quick. All should be resolved a few days following the bowl game. Joe has no intention of making an announcement prior to draw attention to himself. Simply put--the end of a long era is rapidly coming to an end--enjoy the final 5 or 6 games. You'll never see another Joe

Yes, at this time that is Joe's plan--doesn't mean he won't change is mind. The "powers that be" have made it clear that Joe is in full control--if he wants to coach in 2012 he will be coaching in 2012. If Joe retires it will be on his own terms and those that he cares about will be taken care (Vandy, LJ & Red--maybe Bradley and Buggs). Jay will be taken care of in a different manner--he'll always be a part of Penn State--just not the staff.

I'm saying--barring a change--Joe is planning on stepping away after this year--doesn't mean he will but he's taken the steps to ensure that certain guys are taken care of. Joe isn't picking the next HC by himself but he's made it clear there's 4 guys that he supports--if they can't get one of those 4 he won't retire.

Rfulmer, I'm not going to lie to you--if you would have asked me Sunday I would have agreed that I would have been shocked if he stepped down after this year. Apparently he had a long discussion with GS on Sunday because he just can't do this any more. He's literally in too much pain to even stay in the booth without meds. The only way, IMO, that he returns next year is if his health greatly improves over the next 60-70 days--the odds of that happening aren't good. Joe's mind is still sharp though--he couldn't hear any of the questions at the presser today but when he finally got the question he was as funny as he's been in years.

philz, remember--some people, for whatever reason, don't like the defensive scheme. LJ is a priority--so is Vandy--so is McQueary (he may be the top priority)--so is Buggs--so is Bradley. Those are the 5. 3 will be taken of for sure-possibly all.

If anyone wants to know what Meyer thinks of the defensive coaching staff just watch the Iowa game. He truly considers Penn State's defensive staff one of best 5 in the nation. The question is will two of them want to stay and work for him.

No, Golden was never going to get the Penn State job--he was told that which is why he's at Miami

Also, he won't be at Miami next year--won't be at Penn State either but he won't be at Miami

Buggs and Red have a great chance to be kept--McQueary literally just spend 550k on a house--there's a reason

Penn State has never said "high profile"--just "great"--that can be taken many ways

Leach has no chance--he doesn't fit the image (same with Chris Peterson--probation)....Schiano's no longer highly thought of

Ok so those are excerpts from the same person in the same convo. So the reason i'm posting. a) Because since i've seen him on there he has been highly reputable ... and b) because this convo happened a few days ago ... and then all of a sudden today now .. .the assitant coaches have extensions? Maybe the end of an era is happening. I'm not saying whether its 100% true or not but ... take it for what its worth.
Link

Gerald Hodges in the last 2 weeks: 33 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 1 INT

B10 Defensive Player of the Week both weeks :thumbup:

scares me that they are playing so many close games against bad teams. these final 3 are going to be brutal.

Great Defense and Running Game with a big play WR now healthy . . . they may not run the table, but they are legit.

Who are the coaches rumored to possibly come in? I used to hear Jim Haslett and Bill Cowher before, but not really any more. Just Urban Meyer really? With his history of burning out, would that be a fit at PSU given the continuity we've had for so long?

Great Defense and Running Game with a big play WR now healthy . . . they may not run the table, but they are legit.Who are the coaches rumored to possibly come in? I used to hear Jim Haslett and Bill Cowher before, but not really any more. Just Urban Meyer really? With his history of burning out, would that be a fit at PSU given the continuity we've had for so long?
The days of long-term coaches are gone. No one is gonna do what Joe did. Id love to get 5 good years from Urban. He could make PUS a legit contender again.

Great posting :thumbup:

If I had to rank the probability of winning games, I say OSU, Nebraska, then Whisky. I say they go 2-1 (only because they get NU at home), but 0-3 is a real possibility.

'whoknew said:
With all due respect to PSU and JoePa, I will be pretty surprised if they do any better than 1-2. I think 0-3 is a very real possibility. PSU/OSU may be the ugliest game in NCAA history. I predict a 3-2 PSU win.
I was at the game Penn State lost 6-4. I really doubt anything could ever top that in terms of ugly win. However that game also featured amazing D from PSU.

'Fat Nick said:
'whoknew said:

I'm an alum, and as much as I want to believe, I feel the same way. They've done better than I expected, but beating the teams they've beaten so far isn't going to set the world on fire. Beat the next 3 and it's a different story. Basically, that defense is good...but it's not good enough to bail out the offense every-#######-game.
If they win 2, they go to the Big Ten championship game. That would be a great season considering the expectations coming in. Even if they win 1 of 3 and win a bowl game, that is a very good season.

'Leeroy Jenkins said:
Great Defense and Running Game with a big play WR now healthy . . . they may not run the table, but they are legit.Who are the coaches rumored to possibly come in? I used to hear Jim Haslett and Bill Cowher before, but not really any more. Just Urban Meyer really? With his history of burning out, would that be a fit at PSU given the continuity we've had for so long?
It isn't likely to be an outside hire if it happens. Bradley and Johnson will get interviews. I also suspect Golden will be considered.

'B-Deep said:
I find it impossible to believe Joepa will retireIf he was going to, i think the best move would be announce it now, it should crank the motivation level for the team and its fans through the roof
There is no chance he would ever do this. I think next Saturday is quite likely his last home game. Not being able to physically coach the way he wants to has to be driving him nuts.

'Leeroy Jenkins said:
It isn't likely to be an outside hire if it happens. Bradley and Johnson will get interviews. I also suspect Golden will be considered.
If they can get Urban Meyer (which shocks me and makes my wangpiece tingly at the same time), they better ####### go outside

'Leeroy Jenkins said:
If they can get Urban Meyer (which shocks me and makes my wangpiece tingly at the same time), they better ####### go outside
Meyer would be absolutely fantastic to Penn State. The recruiting would go through the roof. He's apparently from Ohio, so there's always a chance that he could improve recruiting from that area, too. Not to mention that he's still remembered In Florida, I'm sure. So, you could probably look for a bump in recruiting from the South, as well.I love Joe, and he's earned every right to go out on his own terms. However, if Meyer (or any other great candidate, for that matter) shows genuine interest, I hope that behind closed doors GS and the rest will seriously start pushing Joe to retire (If that's what needs to happen). While he has certainly earned the right, he is beginning to really hurt recruiting and runs the risk of the program losing quality coaches. I.e. - The rumors of Bradley looking around last year.

'Leeroy Jenkins said:
I like Meyer, but he just retired because he was burnt out. That is a big red flag.

'Leeroy Jenkins said:
I like Meyer, but he just retired because he was burnt out. That is a big red flag.
I think every coach is burnt out by the end of the year, plus didnt he claim heart problems as well? Just my opinion and a thought Ive had recently, but I think he left because he accomplished what he intended to there, and more importantly, wanted to forever be associated with Florida during the Tebow era. Ive never heard anyone else say this, but I wouldnt be surprised if that was the case.

'Leeroy Jenkins said:
I think every coach is burnt out by the end of the year, plus didnt he claim heart problems as well? Just my opinion and a thought Ive had recently, but I think he left because he accomplished what he intended to there, and more importantly, wanted to forever be associated with Florida during the Tebow era. Ive never heard anyone else say this, but I wouldnt be surprised if that was the case.
I remember reading as well that people close to him said that the media and pressure of football in the South, the SEC, and at Florida was a huge contributing factor. Again, I don't remember exactly, but the source said something along the lines that Meyer has seen that the same pressures in the Big10 are much less, and something he felt that he could handle without issue.

Interesting posting, fun to read.

Can't wait for the game. I've been by the stadium, but never in it.

Side note. Unless you think NU is going to lose 2 or 3 more games. It's just a likely that if you get us back in the title game.

We are feeling preet good right now, defense finally started playing like everyone expected it to this year. As for the offense, its finally coming around. It isn't Martinez you have to stop, its Burkhead. Kid is an animal and requires multiple players to tackle him.

That being said, we've been enjoying a great year in the Big 10 ao far with really solid fans. Hope that continues in PA. I've heard I better temper my expectations from your fellow league members. But I think I'll just wait and see.

Heading to the game. Hoping to get a big W in Joe Pa's (maybe, please god) last game at Happy Valley.

Cannot wait.

For a season where I've had no expectations for the squad it is remarkable to be sitting here, 2 games away from the B1G Title game.

Whenever Joe does decide to retire, how much will Penn State be willing top pay a new coach? Joe doesn't make much compared to other top schools and coaches.

Whenever Joe does decide to retire, how much will Penn State be willing top pay a new coach? Joe doesn't make much compared to other top schools and coaches.
I dont think anyone really knows. If they hire in-house IMO that would suggest that they didnt think it was worth it/werent willing to pull out the wallet to bring in 1 of the more sought after coaches.If they hire Jay Paterno I wont be a fan anymore.

I dont think anyone really knows. If they hire in-house IMO that would suggest that they didnt think it was worth it/werent willing to pull out the wallet to bring in 1 of the more sought after coaches.If they hire Jay Paterno I wont be a fan anymore.
It did get published and is around 1 million. This is from a couple of years ago, but I doubt it has changed much.I am not sure they would pay the top figures you see out there, but they have paid a few sports head hires well.

I would also flip out if Jay got the job, but Bradley and Johnson are good head coach candidates.

I would like Urban so there is a chance his daughters would be there also.
I know you joke but remember that his daughters are very good at Volleyball and our Woman's Volleyball team is sort of good.
Sort of good? Arent they in the championship game annually for the most part?
Three Time defending champs and had the second longest winning streak in D1 team sport history. I was using sarcasm. Anyway, I don't follow Woman's VB recruiting or anything but I thought that when Meyer left he talked about wanting to watch his girls play in HS and that they were very good. Maybe I'm just reaching.

It did get published and is around 1 million. This is from a couple of years ago, but I doubt it has changed much.I am not sure they would pay the top figures you see out there, but they have paid a few sports head hires well.

I would also flip out if Jay got the job, but Bradley and Johnson are good head coach candidates.
Yeah, but what would Meyer get, at least $5mill or so, right? Big difference in salary between JoePa's and his there.Jay should be fired once Joe is gone, but Im sure they wont do that as long as Joe is still alive

I would like Urban so there is a chance his daughters would be there also.
I know you joke but remember that his daughters are very good at Volleyball and our Woman's Volleyball team is sort of good.
Sort of good? Arent they in the championship game annually for the most part?
Three Time defending champs and had the second longest winning streak in D1 team sport history. I was using sarcasm. Anyway, I don't follow Woman's VB recruiting or anything but I thought that when Meyer left he talked about wanting to watch his girls play in HS and that they were very good. Maybe I'm just reaching.
Whatever helps :excited:

Yeah, but what would Meyer get, at least $5mill or so, right? Big difference in salary between JoePa's and his there.Jay should be fired once Joe is gone, but Im sure they wont do that as long as Joe is still alive
You don't fire him. You promote him to special assistant to the athletic director where his job is to shake hands with rich guys.

Thought I heard during the Illinois game that when he does leave, there is a deal in place that most of his coaches will keep their jobs, but Jay is not one of them.

You don't fire him. You promote him to special assistant to the athletic director where his job is to shake hands with rich guys.
Good call :thumbup:

'Leeroy Jenkins said:
I remember reading as well that people close to him said that the media and pressure of football in the South, the SEC, and at Florida was a huge contributing factor. Again, I don't remember exactly, but the source said something along the lines that Meyer has seen that the same pressures in the Big10 are much less, and something he felt that he could handle without issue.
If Meyer can keep the program clean (which I'm suspicious of), I'd be OK with him coming.

Users who are viewing this thread