What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's Talk Penn State Football (1 Viewer)

This changes things a little maybe - Im watching local news right now after the LSU/Bama game. Reporter is saying right now that the person who told Paterno was a GRADUATE STUDENT and that JoePa said he will be testifying AGAINST Sandusky in this trial.
why does this change anything?
Based on that law, a student should be legally able to notify police, no?As for JoePa, if he legally could have notified the cops and the 'mandatory reporting law' didnt apply to him, maybe he now realizes he didnt do everything he could have and will testify to do all that he now can to put Sandusky behind bars.
no.mandatory reporting means some people have an obligation to report things like this. typically, this would apply to a teacher or coach.I don't know enough about the graduate student, but seems very unlikely that he'd be a mandatory reporter.
According to JS's link, Tim Curley and/or Schultz would become the mandatory reporter, no?ETA: my point with the student was that nothing should have prevented him from simply going to the police.

Last edited by a moderator:
This changes things a little maybe - Im watching local news right now after the LSU/Bama game. Reporter is saying right now that the person who told Paterno was a GRADUATE STUDENT and that JoePa said he will be testifying AGAINST Sandusky in this trial.
Based on that law, a student should be legally able to notify police, no?As for JoePa, if he legally could have notified the cops and the 'mandatory reporting law' didnt apply to him, maybe he now realizes he didnt do everything he could have and will testify to do all that he now can to put Sandusky behind bars.
no.mandatory reporting means some people have an obligation to report things like this. typically, this would apply to a teacher or coach.I don't know enough about the graduate student, but seems very unlikely that he'd be a mandatory reporter.
According to JS's link, Tim Curley and/or Schultz would become the mandatory reporter, no?
You are failing to grasp the difference between what you are mandated to do and what you are able to do.Let me give you a comparison.If I found out that our former youth pastor, who is now a volunteer, is molesting one of our kids, I would take that information to our senior pastor. At that point, it would become mandatory for him to report this information.But that doesn't mean that I still can't go to the police on my own and report what I know. And you can be certain that if I'm not sure that he went to the police, I'm going to them.ETA: I'm talking about Paterno here.

According to JS's link, Tim Curley and/or Schultz would become the mandatory reporter, no?
You are failing to grasp the difference between what you are mandated to do and what you are able to do.Let me give you a comparison.If I found out that our former youth pastor, who is now a volunteer, is molesting one of our kids, I would take that information to our senior pastor. At that point, it would become mandatory for him to report this information.But that doesn't mean that I still can't go to the police on my own and report what I know. And you can be certain that if I'm not sure that he went to the police, I'm going to them.ETA: I'm talking about Paterno here.
How do we know he didn't go to the Police? Remember, Schultz, the other guy accused of perjury, is the head of the University Police Department and this happened on University property, not in State College. Maybe Paterno made sure Schultz was told by him. That's pretty much going to the top. I still want (and hope) to hear that someone lied to JoePa and said it was a joke or a mistake or something. We'll see.

How do we know he didn't go to the Police? Remember, Schultz, the other guy accused of perjury, is the head of the University Police Department and this happened on University property, not in State College. Maybe Paterno made sure Schultz was told by him. That's pretty much going to the top. I still want (and hope) to hear that someone lied to JoePa and said it was a joke or a mistake or something. We'll see.
Id rule out joke, GB

Id rule out joke, GB
Well sure, but I guess I mean they someway convince him that nothing is wrong. Anyway, good night.

As the dude who started this threa I'd like to make a request, and can we keep this limited to the discussion of the team and this year's season?

I know and understand that Sandusky, Paterno, and the rest are Penn State football. I know that this is obviously the biggest story going right now with regards to Penn State, and most likely to all of college football. Its disheartening, disgusting, vile....there are not enough adjectives to describe it. I, personally, loved Sandusky and Penn State growing up. I can only compare it to finding out that one of your heros is one of the most despisable and despicable people on the face of the earth. I'm heartbroken.

That being said, I see that there is another thread dedicated solely to the Sandusky situation. I'd like to keep it out of this thread and concentrate on the good with PSU football now....The fact that they're 8-1, #12 in the BCS, and have the biggest games of the season coming up.

Again, I'm just the dude who started the thread. But, I'm just trying to keep something positive going with regards to PSU football and this thread.

From McGloin...

I cant comment on what is going on with these allegations and scandal which has spread throughout the university. But i can promise this. We will continue to fight towards our goal, a Big 10 championship. You fans have been great by sticking with us all year, even though we havnt won pretty, we've gotten the job done.. this team does not stop fighting and i do not expect this dilema to alter our level of focus and accountability. Last home game of the year!! lets do it.. lets welcome Nebraska to the Big 10 Happy Valley Style!!
I wish I could just forget everything and be excited again.

From McGloin...

I cant comment on what is going on with these allegations and scandal which has spread throughout the university. But i can promise this. We will continue to fight towards our goal, a Big 10 championship. You fans have been great by sticking with us all year, even though we havnt won pretty, we've gotten the job done.. this team does not stop fighting and i do not expect this dilema to alter our level of focus and accountability. Last home game of the year!! lets do it.. lets welcome Nebraska to the Big 10 Happy Valley Style!!
I hear ya. As the day goes on and I read more, I find it harder to focus on the season without wondering what the future holds for university and the program. Perhaps I hd my head in the clouds when I posted what I did earlier this morning.

From McGloin...

what really makes me mad is it is senior day, and the last home game for our seniors- it should be a memory they can have for the rest of their lives- not overshadowed by sick bastards.. I will attend the game for no other reason than to cheer for each one of these seniors.

How hard must this be on the current PSU players? The remaining road games could be brutal -the crowds aren't as intimate as in basketball, but I expect the players will hear a lot of crap. It's got to be very hard for them to concentrate on football right now.

How hard must this be on the current PSU players? The remaining road games could be brutal -the crowds aren't as intimate as in basketball, but I expect the players will hear a lot of crap. It's got to be very hard for them to concentrate on football right now.
if my son was playing football there i would hope he would quit and transfer. does nothing to help the kids who were harmed, but at least shows some dignity of taking a stand against the institution you represent and the culture of child molestation that exists there.hopefully joe pa will be on the sidelines and takes an inadvertant hit by a linebacker.

if my son was playing football there i would hope he would quit and transfer. does nothing to help the kids who were harmed, but at least shows some dignity of taking a stand against the institution you represent and the culture of child molestation that exists there.hopefully joe pa will be on the sidelines and takes an inadvertant hit by a linebacker.
I wouldn't want my son to quit in the face of adversity. The players, fans, and even some of the staff did nothing wrong. I would want my child to honor his commitment and stay and play. The justice system will take care of those that need to account for the bad that has happened there. I think there is a lot more good at Penn State than there is bad, and I would hope my son would have the character to help turn that bad back into good.

'bagger said:
How dignifying of you

Meyer rumored to have bought real estate in state college area

The article sort of backs off towards the end, but on my brother-in-laws Facebook page, a friend posted that his father is in the real estate business in State College, and confirmed that Meyer did purchase a house. However, I am aware of how flimsy the "my brother-in-law's-friends-father-is-a-real-estate-agent" pipeline could be. Also rumored that his daughter has enrolled at PSU.

I've also seen rumors that Paterno could announce his retirement (either for the end of the season or effective immediately) after his last home game this weekend against Nebraska and Meyer will be named his successor immediately.

Again, as if it has to be mentioned right now, but there are countless rumors flying around right now with the state PSU is currently in. I'm just keeping the masses up-to-date with what I've run across.

The article sort of backs off towards the end, but on my brother-in-laws Facebook page, a friend posted that his father is in the real estate business in State College, and confirmed that Meyer did purchase a house. However, I am aware of how flimsy the "my brother-in-law's-friends-father-is-a-real-estate-agent" pipeline could be. Also rumored that his daughter has enrolled at PSU.

I've also seen rumors that Paterno could announce his retirement (either for the end of the season or effective immediately) after his last home game this weekend against Nebraska and Meyer will be named his successor immediately.

Again, as if it has to be mentioned right now, but there are countless rumors flying around right now with the state PSU is currently in. I'm just keeping the masses up-to-date with what I've run across.
Every one of these same rumors were circulating in Columbus in the last few months. I wouldn't put much stock in any of them.

Every one of these same rumors were circulating in Columbus in the last few months. I wouldn't put much stock in any of them.
Good to know. This is why I come to the FFA.

[You are failing to grasp the difference between what you are mandated to do and what you are able to do.Let me give you a comparison.If I found out that our former youth pastor, who is now a volunteer, is molesting one of our kids, I would take that information to our senior pastor. At that point, it would become mandatory for him to report this information.But that doesn't mean that I still can't go to the police on my own and report what I know. And you can be certain that if I'm not sure that he went to the police, I'm going to them.ETA: I'm talking about Paterno here.
Give sPitt credit, the minute they found out their new head coach was an alleged wife beater, he was GONE. Oh that PSU could've done the same.

Obviously this is not as important as all the other issues -

but I wonder who would want this job now after Paterno leaves? For example, if you are Urban Meyer - do you really want to be the next football coach at Penn State?

but I wonder who would want this job now after Paterno leaves? For example, if you are Urban Meyer - do you really want to be the next football coach at Penn State?
I think that would have been the issue regardless. HoF coaches set a high standard for the next guy...that he often fails to reach.

I think that would have been the issue regardless. HoF coaches set a high standard for the next guy...that he often fails to reach.
at this point, I think people will be happy with a rape-free locker room and won't care much about the football team.

at this point, I think people will be happy with a rape-free locker room and won't care much about the football team.
:lmao: They need to bring in Greg Robinson.

:rolleyes: That was a given. (As in the highlighted word above.)

I understand what you are saying but if I'm Urban Meyer and this scandal never happened - I don't worry about replacing Paterno. I've won as many NCAA Championships in 10 years as JoePa did in 45. I certainly won't be intimidated by the legend of Paterno.But now? That's changed. Why would I want to walk into this mess? How am I going to recruit? What's will the fans be like? I'm going to have a MASSIVE trial going on just down the street. Who wants this?

I would. Outside of a year here and there, PSU hasnt been an elite program since the early-mid 90's. If youre a coach like Meyer and come in now, not only do you get credit for returning PSU to an elite program, but turning it around after this hellish scandal.

I understand what you are saying but if I'm Urban Meyer and this scandal never happened - I don't worry about replacing Paterno. I've won as many NCAA Championships in 10 years as JoePa did in 45. I certainly won't be intimidated by the legend of Paterno.But now? That's changed. Why would I want to walk into this mess? How am I going to recruit? What's will the fans be like? I'm going to have a MASSIVE trial going on just down the street. Who wants this?
Pretty sure the trial isnt going on right down the street. Ive been in the State College court room, it could hold like 20 people. Since the PA attorney general is involved, I would assume the trial will be in Harrisburg.

I would. Outside of a year here and there, PSU hasnt been an elite program since the early-mid 90's. If youre a coach like Meyer and come in now, not only do you get credit for returning PSU to an elite program, but turning it around after this hellish scandal.
Indeed. If not Meyer, someone else will leap at it. What exactly are the long term ramifications? The dumbasses leave and somebody new comes in and starts grabbing great football players out of Pennsylvania again. :shrug:

Indeed. If not Meyer, someone else will leap at it. What exactly are the long term ramifications? The dumbasses leave and somebody new comes in and starts grabbing great football players out of Pennsylvania again. :shrug:
Why wouldn't the great players go to Pitt or a top out-of-state school rather than going to Creepy Valley? I don't think this will be that easy to turn around.

Is there any other coach near as good as Meyer that would take this job though (coaching right now or not)? Other coaches whose names have been thrown around in previous years are Golden, Schiano, Ferentz. I dont think any of those guys would make PSU elite again, but Meyer would almost certainly.

To be honest, I just don't think I'd want my name associated with Penn State. No offense to fans/alumni. But on top of the recruiting difficulties there would be - I would just stay clear of Penn State altogether if I were Meyer.

Why wouldn't the great players go to Pitt or a top out-of-state school rather than going to Creepy Valley? I don't think this will be that easy to turn around.
Does anyone believe that this is a deeply embedded institutional problem at Penn State? Maybe you're right and there are a lot of dumb people who do. I don't think this stuff sticks to institutions as tightly as the media hyperventilators would have us believe.

To be honest, I just don't think I'd want my name associated with Penn State. No offense to fans/alumni. But on top of the recruiting difficulties there would be - I would just stay clear of Penn State altogether if I were Meyer.
They've found the bad guys, who are leaving. What's the worry?

Does anyone believe that this is a deeply embedded institutional problem at Penn State? Maybe you're right and there are a lot of dumb people who do. I don't think this stuff sticks to institutions as tightly as the media hyperventilators would have us believe.
I think for the foreseeable future, people will associate Penn State football with child molestation. If I'm a high school senior being recruited by multiple schools, that's enough to send me elsewhere.

I think for the foreseeable future, people will associate Penn State football with child molestation. If I'm a high school senior being recruited by multiple schools, that's enough to send me elsewhere.
Really? Its not like the entire coaching staff were running a train on little boys. 1 sick person was, and someone who hasnt even been coaching for them for over a decade. Once Paterno is gone and the trial is over, I dont see this scandal as something that makes recruits go elsewhere. PSU will always have a great town in State College, Beaver stadium, and smoking hot coeds.

Users who are viewing this thread