What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rex Burkhead RB - HOU (1 Viewer)

The only way I see Lewis getting cut is if he gets hurt again or if he has some off field issue that we are not aware about. He is only due $1.2 million this year. There is no reason to cut him. They need a returner, he will undoubtedly be used as a mismatch when he is on the field on offense, and if NE does what they wanted to do last year (have sets with both White and Lewis in the backfield at the same time), they can wreak even more havoc.
He costs 1.2 million, and a roster spot.

Burkhead, White, Gillislee all received commitments this offseason.  

He costs 1.2 million, and a roster spot.

Burkhead, White, Gillislee all received commitments this offseason.  
And?

BB pays special teamers $1 million a year and doesn't bat an eye doing so. At this point, they would get rid of Bolden before Lewis. Unless Lewis was hurt or awful in camp, I think NE keeps him for this season. They have been searching for a kick returner and it looks like Lewis will get a crack at it. Cyrus Jones doesn't appear to be able to handle the job.

I also think the team probably would have preferred Gillislee over Burkhead and probably would not have signed both of them if they knew they could get Gillislee. 

There is no 'And'.  

He's 4th string. Pick a 4th string back in the league, they all should be renting.
If he ends up as a decent returner, he would not be looked at as "a 4th string back", he'd be a special teamer. We also don't know how things will shake out. We the general public think Lewis will be their 4th string back. Who knows how they will use him.

Bolden barely sees the field and he's been around for 5 years (1 carry last year). Slater has one career reception and has been around for 8 years . . . and gets $1.5 million a year to play special teams. BB will figure out how to use Lewis. IMO, if they wanted to cut Lewis, they would have done so already.

If he ends up as a decent returner, he would not be looked at as "a 4th string back", he'd be a special teamer. We also don't know how things will shake out. We the general public think Lewis will be their 4th string back. Who knows how they will use him.

Bolden barely sees the field and he's been around for 5 years (1 carry last year). Slater has one career reception and has been around for 8 years . . . and gets $1.5 million a year to play special teams. BB will figure out how to use Lewis. IMO, if they wanted to cut Lewis, they would have done so already.
Teams are adding players, not subtracting them. Why would they cut a guy with a workable contract three months before the season?

Rex Burkhead making a strong impression at Patriots minicamp

FOXBORO — Rex Burkhead is still new to the Patriots roster. But the running back was easily one of the best offensive players on the field yesterday during the second day of minicamp.

Signed as a free agent away from Cincinnati, Burkhead established a strong connection with Tom Brady, catching all five passes from the quarterback during 11-on-11 drills.

And while he may be new, he seems to know the way to answer questions in typical, understated Patriots style.

So to what did he attribute his success with Brady?

“Just making sure I was on my assignments. I still have a lot of room to get better and improve my game,” he said. “I still have room to get comfortable and make sure I know what I’m doing.”

Burkhead saw plenty of first-team reps, catching passes from both Brady and Jimmy Garoppolo. He pulled in passes while working from all over the field, coming out of the backfield, shifting out to the slot and lining up outside. He was even spotted on the punt coverage team, communicating well when asked to do so.

With a loaded depth chart at the running back position, Burkhead will have to continue to showcase his versatility as he jostles for playing time.

“Whatever role they want to put me in, I’m up for,” he said plainly when asked about the difference in how he was used with the Bengals with how the Patriots have used him so far. “Whatever way or role gives us the best chance to win.”

Burkhead is in the midst of a huge transition, going from being a seldom-used target in the Bengals offense to being asked to be a do-it-all option in this offense. With all due respect to Andy Dalton and Marvin Lewis, there is a different level of talent on the Patriots with Brady and Bill Belichick.

So Burkhead knows how important these practices are, even in June, as he seeks to earn Brady’s trust.

“It’s huge,” he said. “Learning the system, making sure I know what to do when I’m out there . . . learning from the mistakes you make the day before and knowing (your job) day in and day out.”

When pushed further on the difference in culture between Cincinnati and the Pats, Burkhead gave a telling answer, one that focused on the improvement in weather from Tuesday to Wednesday. It seems that he’s already fallen in line and has learned to give generic media answers when in a tough spot.

“The rain is good for us. We’re probably going to play in a rain game sometime during the year. Rain, snow, whatever, so (yesterday) was good for us. Especially with catching the ball, ball handling, anything like that. Helps us stay in top of our game.”

I really have a hard time coming away with much from reports from OTA's. Since there isn't any real tackling, most people look good in two hand touch. From what I have seen, DJ Foster wowed people last year and this year. Yet his chances of making an impact (or even the regular season roster) are pretty slim. Most everyone looks good this time of year. The only negatives you really see in mini-camp are guys that drop passes or QB's that happened to throw an interception. Not saying that Burkhead doesn't look good, but most of the news that comes out are fluff pieces saying that everyone looks good.

I really have a hard time coming away with much from reports from OTA's. Since there isn't any real tackling, most people look good in two hand touch. From what I have seen, DJ Foster wowed people last year and this year. Yet his chances of making an impact (or even the regular season roster) are pretty slim. Most everyone looks good this time of year. The only negatives you really see in mini-camp are guys that drop passes or QB's that happened to throw an interception. Not saying that Burkhead doesn't look good, but most of the news that comes out are fluff pieces saying that everyone looks good.
I agree.  Just for fun I went back and looked through Faust's thread of 2016 OTA reports and pretty much every player that "stood out" or "looked amazing" in OTAs ended up being a complete non factor in the real games that year.

On track for lead role according to who? Pretty shoddy journalism IMO.
technically every RB in training camp is "on track" to have the leading role if you consider the track to becoming a starter as being in camp and competing for a job.

2 hours ago, Tool said:

On track for lead role according to who? Pretty shoddy journalism IMO.
uh..Greg@fantasygeesus? 
No, byline at link is: Rich Garven / The Worcester Telegram & Gazette, who projects Burkhead as the lead back (apparently his observation/opinion only as he doesn't attribute any team sources).

Last edited by a moderator:
squistion said:
No, byline at link is: Rich Garven / The Worcester Telegram & Gazette, who projects Burkhead as the lead back.
I was making a joke, since that was who made the tweet.

Rhat being said, the article itself didn't even predict THE lead role for Burkhead, it seemed to a headline to draw readers.

I was making a joke, since that was who made the tweet.

Rhat being said, the article itself didn't even predict THE lead role for Burkhead, it seemed to a headline to draw readers.
Well, technically it does, I would say that "projects" is a prediction, but we may be discussing semantics:

While Burkhead projects as the lead back, the Patriots are expected to distribute the rushing workload more than last season when Blount finished second in the league with 299 carries.

Gillislee established across-the-board career-highs with 101 carries, 577 yards and eight touchdowns last season. He’s going to get his share of totes, especially in goal-line and short-yardage situations.

I am guessing that part of the reason this writer thinks Burkhead will be the lead dog is Gillislee had a minor injury and hasn't practiced much this past week. So when writers see Burkhead practicing with the ones, they think that means Burkhead has taken over the top spot on the depth chart. Gillislee started out as the guy playing with the core offense, for whatever that is worth. Still a long way from real football that matters, and BB has been known to make changes as he sees fit.

ProFootballTalk‏Verified account @ProFootballTalk 4m4 minutes ago

Tom Brady, Rex Burkhead hook up for touchdown in preseason debut

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/19/tom-brady-rex-burkhead-hook-up-for-touchdown-in-preseason-debut/

Tight end Rob Gronkowski spent a lot of time run blocking for Rex Burkhead in his first preseason action since 2012.

Burkhead was making his first game appearance for the Patriots and the wasted no time getting him involved in the offense. Burkhead carried seven times for 20 yards and caught a pair of passes from Tom Brady during his time on the field.

ProFootballTalk‏Verified account @ProFootballTalk 4m4 minutes ago

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/19/tom-brady-rex-burkhead-hook-up-for-touchdown-in-preseason-debut/

Tight end Rob Gronkowski spent a lot of time run blocking for Rex Burkhead in his first preseason action since 2012.

Burkhead was making his first game appearance for the Patriots and the wasted no time getting him involved in the offense. Burkhead carried seven times for 20 yards and caught a pair of passes from Tom Brady during his time on the field.
Burkhead looked really good against the Texans, and he should definitely have some value in PPR leagues as I think he will catch quite a few passes out of the backfield.

Burkhead looked really good against the Texans, and he should definitely have some value in PPR leagues as I think he will catch quite a few passes out of the backfield.
Disagree.  Like @[icon] said there is so much pass catching depth in the NE backfield they will likely limit each other.

However I still like Burkhead because he is the biggest back on the roster and I hope he can emerge as their primary goal line guy.  If he does that everything else is gravy.

One BIG difference between Dion Lewis and White versus Burkhead. 

Burkhead does it all so the Pats aren't tipping their hand when he's in the game. White and Lewis don't give them that advantage. 

One BIG difference between Dion Lewis and White versus Burkhead. 

Burkhead does it all so the Pats aren't tipping their hand when he's in the game. White and Lewis don't give them that advantage. 
Lewis runs and catches very well.  White is more limited as a runner but is still capable.  Gillislee is probably their most questionable receiver, although he looks like the best runner.  From a volume perspective Burkhead hasn't done much in either category so it's hard to say that he will lead this team in anything.  I like him as a multi-tool who could seize the primary TD role but a lot of my opinion is going to be changed depending on who they cut to get down to 53.  If Brandon Bolden makes the cut I could easily see him stepping in as the TD vulture.  Until the roster cuts happen even guys like Juwan Thompson and Glen Gronkowski should both be considered threats to TD upside.

Lewis runs and catches very well.  White is more limited as a runner but is still capable.  Gillislee is probably their most questionable receiver, although he looks like the best runner.  From a volume perspective Burkhead hasn't done much in either category so it's hard to say that he will lead this team in anything.  I like him as a multi-tool who could seize the primary TD role but a lot of my opinion is going to be changed depending on who they cut to get down to 53.  If Brandon Bolden makes the cut I could easily see him stepping in as the TD vulture.  Until the roster cuts happen even guys like Juwan Thompson and Glen Gronkowski should both be considered threats to TD upside.
Lewis is to small to pound the ball with. White is JAG but trusted by the coaching staff and just got a new contract. I suspected Burkhead was Cincy's best RB last year and when he got his chance he showed it. He's big enough to run in between the tackles, runs great routes, and has good hands. He'll have to out play these guys but I see him doing it.....

From a Bloom article today.......

Rex Burkhead, NE - Burkhead’s catch and run score in the second preseason game is letting the cat out of the bag. He is talented enough to put up RB1 numbers on only 15 touches a game in this offense, and the hamstring woes of Mike Gillislee are opening the door for just that to happen. The backfield is crowded, but injuries and Burkhead’s all-around play and ability to keep defenses off balance could clarify it very quickly.

Disagree.  Like @[icon] said there is so much pass catching depth in the NE backfield they will likely limit each other.

However I still like Burkhead because he is the biggest back on the roster and I hope he can emerge as their primary goal line guy.  If he does that everything else is gravy.
Its not just the pass catching depth in the backfield.  If there is a healthy Gronk, Cooks and Edelman there is going to be less targets for the backfield.  I like Burkhead.  I've always though he was a better player than Gillislee in every aspect.  We will see how it works out now that they are on the same team.  I don't know that Burkhead will emerge as the primary goal line guy, but I expect him to lead the backfield in touches.

I grabbed him in every PPR league I could especially the several teams I went WR heavy and punted on RB. He may be the best value for a second RB if you did the old "zero" strategy. I understand BB loves him too and went hard after him. That can't hurt. 

who is starting him tonight? 

Going back and forth between him and Rawls in 16 team PPR. Have him starting as of this minute.  :unsure:

Have a chance to pick him up before the game starts. Only player I would drop is Marvin Jones. Can't decide. 

I dont have an in my lineup but I think he's gonna put on a show tonight... I have Abdullah and Hyde in over him. .5ppr... I think I'll regret this 

I dont have an in my lineup but I think he's gonna put on a show tonight... I have Abdullah and Hyde in over him. .5ppr... I think I'll regret this 
hmmm, so you think he's going to put on a show but you're benching him.  So you're expecting a bigger show from both Abdullah and Hyde? That's a lot of shows.

Users who are viewing this thread