Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
mcintyre1

2012 Prospect Rex Burkhead RB

ESPN's Mike Reiss considers Rex Burkhead the favorite for goal-line work in New England this season.

Burkhead filled a similar role last season, finishing the year with eight touchdowns (five rushing, three receiving) in only 10 games. First-round rookie Sony Michel will obviously be a big part of the Patriots' running attack but he'll need to prove himself to the coaching staff first, particularly after struggling with ball security at times in college (12 fumbles at Georgia). James White will be the Pats' primary back on passing downs while Mike Gillislee and Jeremy Hill both find themselves on the roster bubble.

Source: ESPN.com 

Jun 29 - 4:17 PM

Rex Burkhead - RB -  Patriots

Rex Burkhead is listed ahead of rookie Sony Michel on the Patriots' first unofficial depth chart.

Burkhead was always going to play an integral role in New England's offensive game plan and being listed as the team's starting back only confirms that notion. James White is listed as the other starter with free agent acquisition Jeremy Hill slotting in as No. 3 ahead of Mike Gillislee. Whether Michel (knee) is ready to go in Week 1 or not, Burkhead's seventh-round ADP is sure to skyrocket in the coming weeks.

Related: Patriots

Source:  Pro Football Talk

Aug 5 - 1:22 PM

6 minutes ago, Brisco54 said:

Any updates n this?  Did Burkhead practice today (Wednesday?)

Info may be harder to come by as the Pats have closed practices for the duration of training camp.
There probably will be a portion of the beginning of practice open to the media. nut that is usually stretching and basic team drills.
I will post what I find, which as of now is nothing.

LINK

Rex Burkhead sat out Thursday’s preseason game with what was originally an undisclosed injury. It was later reported by The Athletic’s Jeff Howe that Burkhead has a slight tear in his knee, and that Burkhead could have played through the injury if it was during the regular season.

Howe added that from what he understands, surgery would not be necessary on the injury.

After the departure of Dion Lewis, the Patriots have been tinkering with a handful of running backs in training camp. First round pick Sony Michel is already out after having his knee drained, and Burkhead is supposed to be the featured back alongside James White. If Burkhead were to miss any time, it opens the door for Jeremy Hill and Mike Gillislee to enter the mix.

• Like 1

Tell you what, after his usage and performance last year, and the showing last night, James White is the only back in this backfield that I feel confident of snagging.

17 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Tell you what, after his usage and performance last year, and the showing last night, James White is the only back in this backfield that I feel confident of snagging.

Depending on how banged up Burkhead and Michel are by the start of the reg season I could see White averaging some absurd number of targets per game in September before Edelman comes back.

• Like 1

What are redraft owners doing with sex Rex now?

He was cut in my (10-team) league and I'm pondering putting in a waiver claim. Luv the opportunity to start the season. Hate torn knees.

7 minutes ago, LawFitz said:

What are redraft owners doing with sex Rex now?

He was cut in my (10-team) league and I'm pondering putting in a waiver claim. Luv the opportunity to start the season. Hate torn knees.

Discussion today in the Boston media that one of Michel or Burkhead may end up on IR-DFR . . . with Michel the more likely candidate. Rex shoud be owned in all formats, but Jeremy Hill may get a fair amount of work early on.

• Like 3

he's not a sexy pick because his ceiling is capped pretty low imo, but i'm more than comfortable with his steady floor at a RB3 pace until we see what Michel can do. Sitting on him as my RB3 right now and hope to use him as a flex guy throughout the season. hill concerns me more than anyone in terms of stealing fantasy points because of goal line work.

3 minutes ago, Chaka said:

Does he have a new injury?

He's said to have tweaked his knee with a minor tear a few weeks ago. It's said he has been held out of pre season games as a precaution. He's been limited in practice the last couple of weeks. 

I traded him yesterday for Marlon Mack. I didn't like how he looked week 1. Happy with that lotto ticket return. I'm changing my stance on him and think it's michel backfield by week 5-6ish......

59 minutes ago, Efritch4 said:

Burkhead missed practice today due to a concussion...when did this happen on Sunday?

Could have been during practice? Could have been something they didn’t notice but he felt weird later in the week. He was a sit this week anyway with Jags on the docket. 

Burkhead present at practice in full pads for warmups for the media accessible portion of practice. Did not do any team drills. Most likely will be listed as DNP again today.

Off the top, I am guessing the team does not think his concussion is major or he wouldn’t be out there at all. He still  needs to get cleared by the league. If I had to guess, he will be   a limited participant in practice tomorrow and a dreaded game time decision on Sunday, which is not great because NE plays at 4:25.

Maybe he gets cleared and we know sooner than that or they rule him out earlier, but that would be very un Bill to do it that way. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Milkman said:

I traded him yesterday for Marlon Mack. I didn't like how he looked week 1. Happy with that lotto ticket return. I'm changing my stance on him and think it's michel backfield by week 5-6ish......

I dealt him in the preseason for a QB2. I hate owning any of the Pats backfield. At the time Rex had the knee tear & Michel was practicing again, but that was pre-Hill ACL. 

Now Burkhead has a concussion & Sony is practicing - but that they’re auditioning RBs off the street isn’t a great sign for either & makes me glad I dealt him. The fumble is also bad, given Hoodie’s historic love for fumblers. 

I’ve got James White in my IDP PPR league & honestly he’d be the only Pats RB I’d be comfortable starting until the big back mess there clears itself up a bit. 

And it’s not like you can trust any injury information from this team either. 

The last Pats RB I enjoyed owning was Corey Dillon. Ahhhh, good times. :wub: 

19 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Could have been during practice? Could have been something they didn’t notice but he felt weird later in the week. He was a sit this week anyway with Jags on the docket. 

Reportedly happened when he coughed up the ball.

heard that on the radio while driving so no link - guess the refs & team “misssed” it so he kept playing, but was symptomatic later.

concussions are funny like that too - like whiplash, the effects can take a while. It’s not always “I am Batman”.

on another note, could anyone imagine a company doing a commercial like that in this post-CTE / concussion-conscious climate? SMH.

:unsure:

Rex Burkhead (concussion) was seen practicing on Thursday.

Beat writer Jim McBride of the Boston Globe called his participation "limited at best,"

9 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

:unsure:

If he didn't get cleared by the league, I do not believe he could do anything with the team or participate in any drills that involve contact. So not really sure what his status officially is.

7 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

If he didn't get cleared by the league, I do not believe he could do anything with the team or participate in any drills that involve contact. So not really sure what his status officially is.

I saw he was wearing pads. I have yet to see a report that says he had any contact.  

The quote I posted said “limited, at best”

at this time we don’t known if he’s cleared. That’s why I’m confused by the pad-Wearing report.

good luck, Rex owners. Enjoy the Hoodies always-accurate injury updates. :P 

Just now, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I saw he was wearing pads. I have yet to see a report that says he had any contact.  

The quote I posted said “limited, at best”

at this time we don’t known if he’s cleared. That’s why I’m confused by the pad-Wearing report.

good luck, Rex owners. Enjoy the Hoodies always-accurate injury updates. :P 

To each his own. I have never had an issue deciphering the NE backfield situation or their injury reporting . . . but I follow them hourly. Figuring out whose role is what and how the touches will be distributed is pretty straight forward once you know the players involved. A lot of people like to make it out like it's some cryptic mystery and a random occurance from game to game and across the season, but it really is not like that.

The one thing that is hard to unlock is if they have a game plan that scraps the run altogether and they are happy to have Brady throw 60 passes by design. They do that once in a while, and it wouldn't shock me if they utilize a similar approach this week against the Jags. Line up in spread formations for most of the game and go no huddle. Sometimes hurry up, sometimes not hurry up (but preventing the Jags from substituting).

• Like 1

With the Jags this week and Sony/Rex both in questionable health, this is a game to avoid Pats RBs. James White might be a nice flex, but that is it IMO. Really I am avoiding all Pats except Gronk. He is going tp obliterate Jalen Ramsey.

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

To each his own. I have never had an issue deciphering the NE backfield situation or their injury reporting . . . but I follow them hourly. Figuring out whose role is what and how the touches will be distributed is pretty straight forward once you know the players involved. A lot of people like to make it out like it's some cryptic mystery and a random occurance from game to game and across the season, but it really is not like that.

The one thing that is hard to unlock is if they have a game plan that scraps the run altogether and they are happy to have Brady throw 60 passes by design. They do that once in a while, and it wouldn't shock me if they utilize a similar approach this week against the Jags. Line up in spread formations for most of the game and go no huddle. Sometimes hurry up, sometimes not hurry up (but preventing the Jags from substituting).

Fair enough, and exactly why am starting James White at my flex position this week. 

6 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

With the Jags this week and Sony/Rex both in questionable health, this is a game to avoid Pats RBs. James White might be a nice flex, but that is it IMO. Really I am avoiding all Pats except Gronk. He is going tp obliterate Jalen Ramsey.

I was under the impression that Hogan would be Ramsey’s primary assignment. 

1 minute ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I was under the impression that Hogan would be Ramsey’s primary assignment. 

Maybe- I have heard others speculate it will be Gronk. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ilov80s said:

Maybe- I have heard others speculate it will be Gronk. 

If that’s the case, I agree with you. That is a serious size advantage for the patriots 

Just now, Hot Sauce Guy said:

If that’s the case, I agree with you. That is a serious size advantage for the patriots 

Plus Ramsey was talking all that noise

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

For this week with Burkhead's status, I agree it's an avoid

• Like 1

Both Burkhead and Michel listed as limited in practice and questionable to play on injury report on Sunday. This will require more digging to figure out what that means.

7 minutes ago, steelwind said:

Bill B gonna Bill B.  Nobody knows.  Barner might come out if the tunnel and get 30 carries.

You guys consistently exaggerate what the Patriots do, but if you want to go pick up Barner and hope to get 30 carries out of him this week, have at it.

Just now, Anarchy99 said:

You guys consistently exaggerate what the Patriots do, but if you want to go pick up Barner and hope to get 30 carries out of him this week, have at it.

Like you said, it's an exaggeration.  I think Burkhead will get cleared.  Both he and Michel will be active and split the rush attempts.  But vs Jax this is a passing game with a heavy dose of James White.

11 minutes ago, steelwind said:

Like you said, it's an exaggeration.  I think Burkhead will get cleared.  Both he and Michel will be active and split the rush attempts.  But vs Jax this is a passing game with a heavy dose of James White.

That sounds good on paper (for White), but in the AFCCG last year he only had 3 receptions for 22 yards and 3 carries for 4 yards and a TD. Without the TD, he would have had a really poor fantasy day.

Maybe the evil genius will play Michel, Burkhead, and White all at the same time and really mess with the Jags' heads on defense.

• Like 1

Burkhead is only depth for me but I’m always looking to trade for future stock. Wasn’t expecting much vs Jacksonville but also don’t like seeing Michel out touch him. Is this the changing of the guard already? I still had reasonable expectations that Burkhead would be their GL back and bring in double digit TDs.

Coming off the concussion, the neck injury led me to kicking him to the curb.  He hasn't done anything yet so in my league he won't be picked up any time soon. I'll keep watching... perhaps the additions of Gordon and Edleman will mean an overall uptick in the Patriot offense and the rising tide will raise all boats... (looking at you Hogan)

Yahoo just set his status to IR.  I can't find confirmation anywhere.  Is this true or is it just Yahoo being Yahoo?

Just now, brewer said:

Yahoo just set his status to IR.  I can't find confirmation anywhere.  Is this true or is it just Yahoo being Yahoo?

It's official, just got a notification via my sleeper app

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Super King said:

Just got a update he's heading to IR

From Rotoworld:

Patriots placed RB Rex Burkhead (neck) on injured reserve.

The Patriots tipped this move after re-signing Kenjon Barner. Neck injuries can be serious, so it's possible Burkhead is shut down for the season. Sony Michel was playing ahead of Burkhead before he went down and is locked into the lead back role. James White will also have pass down to himself with Burkhead out.

Source: Mike Reiss on Twitter