Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
mcintyre1

2012 Prospect Rex Burkhead RB

Recommended Posts

Really surprised how everyone is sleeping on Burkhead right now.  

ROS he’s going to be a Sony Michel/James White injury away from a weekly RB2 play, and banking on a Michel injury at some point is less risky than assuming it doesn’t happen IMO.

I picked him up same day the Patriots had him practicing on the first possible day they could for a week 13 return.  They are clearly bent on getting him into the action ASAP.

Maybe he muddies the NE backfield back to its usual RB fantasy nightmare status, totally possible.  Equally possible he’s playing Michel’s role for all or some of the fantasy playoff.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:

Activated from IR.

I'm not surprised he got activated this week, but I am shocked it  happened today.  Don't teams usually wait until late on Saturday to activate a player from IR, just in case anything happens in the intervening period.  Have the rules changed so they have to be activated sooner or is Bellichick making this move to make some kind of statement (and if it is a statement, what's he saying)?

I'm kind of whining because as long as he wasn't activated he could sit in my IR spot, but now if I want to make any roster moves I have to drop him (or somebody else) first.  And it will probably be Burkhead that gets the drop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, themeistersinger said:

I'm not surprised he got activated this week, but I am shocked it  happened today.  Don't teams usually wait until late on Saturday to activate a player from IR, just in case anything happens in the intervening period.  Have the rules changed so they have to be activated sooner or is Bellichick making this move to make some kind of statement (and if it is a statement, what's he saying)?

I'm kind of whining because as long as he wasn't activated he could sit in my IR spot, but now if I want to make any roster moves I have to drop him (or somebody else) first.  And it will probably be Burkhead that gets the drop.

Every NE team action related to getting Burkhead on the field has occurred at the earliest possible moment allowed by the rules.  This guy is going to contribute immediately, guaranteed.

Amazing how many experts are putting Burkhead behind Michel and White, my CBS league news feed even estimated he gets every third series.  There’s just no way to know these things and there’s no reason to expect they remain consistent week to week..  Michel, White and Burkhead don’t know what their usage will look like next week.

The only thing we have on our side as fantasy owners is the reality that 2/3 of the NE backfield have been injury prone backs so far in their careers.  The odds of all three of these guys being active for every game ROS is below 50% IMO.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jtp1982 said:

The only thing we have on our side as fantasy owners is the reality that 2/3 of the NE backfield have been injury prone backs so far in their careers.  The odds of all three of these guys being active for every game ROS is below 50% IMO.

 

 

Yes, that's why I wanted him in my IR spot through this week's games.  We only have 5 bench spots so I can't carry everybody.  My other 5 RB's are Alvin Kamara, Nick Chubb, Leonard Fournette, Austin Ekeler and Josh Adams.  Because of all the caveats with "New England Backfield" I can't rely on Burkhead as much as the other guys, who at least have a starter role (at least for now for Ekeler with Gordon hurt).  It wouldn't surprise me at all if Burkhead led the team in touches and fantasy points ROS, nor would it surprise me if he was third behind Michel and White.  Just no way to know with the Patriots.

I think Bellichick found out I'm a Bills fan and that's why he hates me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always tell myself I'm staying away from NE RBs because you just don't know what to do with them. But he was free and I could stash him on IR for a bit. Luckily I have one more regular season week, then a bye so I'll have two weeks to see how they all get used (or not) and see how comfortable I feel with him in my flex spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Rex Burkhead - RB -  Patriots

Rex Burkhead (neck) is active for Week 13 against the Vikings.

It's Burkhead's first game action since Week 3. The Patriots enter Sunday's action as healthy as they've been all year. TE Dwayne Allen, CB Keion Crossen, DE Keionta Davis, CB Duke Dawson, C James Ferentz, DE Derek Rivers and DT Danny Shelton round out New England's inactives for Week 13.

Source: New England Patriots on Twitter 

Dec 2 - 3:01 PM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meh stat line but Burkhead looked good.  Michel and White both looked better though. 

Scoring didn’t happen for any NE RBs today but Burlhead was in some red zone packages.  He will be taking some TDs at some point.

About the only thing he looked better at than either other back was the amount of contact he can maneuver in YAC on short check down receptions.  Really interesting mixture of hands, body control, and violence when he turns up field.  Kind of Ingram-esque.  Fun to watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Rex Burkhead supplied 21 yards on five carries while nabbing two catches for an additional 47 yards on two targets Sunday in New England’s Week 2 win over the Dolphins.

Some may have dismissed Burkhead's Week 1 role as a mere outlier, but he stayed busy Sunday, making his presence felt with 68 yards from scrimmage on seven touches. The bulk of his receiving output came late in the fourth quarter on a 32-yard deep strike from Tom Brady (should any of us be surprised that a Bill Belichick-coached team was still throwing with a 37-point fourth-quarter lead?). Burkhead saw a pair of red-zone carries, but obviously neither resulted in touchdowns. Sony Michel still has a firm grip on lead ball-carrying duties in New England (he led the Pats with 21 touches in Week 2), but Burkhead will continue to be involved as a jack-of-all-trades. The Patriots figure to be heavy favorites when the Jets come to town in Week 3.

He's obviously not a fantasy asset, but he's remaining a factor in the offense and if Michel went down it feels like he would be in a committee with James white as the lead RBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, The Frankman said:

He's obviously not a fantasy asset, but he's remaining a factor in the offense and if Michel went down it feels like he would be in a committee with James white as the lead RBs.

I doubt White would become the lead RB. I think White's role would stay the same and Harris and Burkhead would split the carries (with White getting his usual handful of carries when plays are changed from passes to runs at the LOS).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow.

So not only is James White out, but J. Develin is out as well.

Rex was already leading the backfield in touches and now should grab all of White's touches. Would think he'd be in for garbage time as well (unless D. Harris is active).

All that said, Jets D-line is their strength and NE's offensive line has been battered with injuries. BB may just decide to air it out (although Rex would be involved there).

Debating sitting M. Sanders for Rex here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Wow.

So not only is James White out, but J. Develin is out as well.

Rex was already leading the backfield in touches and now should grab all of White's touches. Would think he'd be in for garbage time as well (unless D. Harris is active).

All that said, Jets D-line is their strength and NE's offensive line has been battered with injuries. BB may just decide to air it out (although Rex would be involved there).

Debating sitting M. Sanders for Rex here.

Same dilemma here; was starting Sanders but without much confidence. 

Just read about White absence; just got Burkhead and more comfortable rolling with him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sitting Mack for Burkhead. Even if he plays I don't like the gimpy calf. I'd snap start him over Sanders for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kyoun1e said:

Wow.

So not only is James White out, but J. Develin is out as well.

Rex was already leading the backfield in touches and now should grab all of White's touches. Would think he'd be in for garbage time as well (unless D. Harris is active).

All that said, Jets D-line is their strength and NE's offensive line has been battered with injuries. BB may just decide to air it out (although Rex would be involved there).

Debating sitting M. Sanders for Rex here.

I’d play rex over sanders 100%. I’m debating on whether to sit mclaurin for rex. If Damien Harris is inactive i most likely will. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure I would start Rex over Carson, but he’s in the wire.

I know White is out for just this game, but Rex has been used more than usual this year.

do we think Rex makes a solid useable long term flex RB? Or is he still game script and other rb health dependent? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Not sure I would start Rex over Carson, but he’s in the wire.

I know White is out for just this game, but Rex has been used more than usual this year.

do we think Rex makes a solid useable long term flex RB? Or is he still game script and other rb health dependent? 

IMO, Rex had benefited from huge leads and gotten a lot more action in second halves this year. With OL injuries and no TE's to speak of (and today they may not have use of a TE at all), I am not sure what alignment they will use to keep Brady from being pancaked. In the past, their 2 TE power package made them have a strong running game with killer play action. They will probably give their German kid a lot of work today at FB.

I would normally say that Burkhead's usage would drop off if the games are closer, but they may not have a close game until November. It depends how big a league it is and what other options you have, but in 12 team leagues he will probably remain as a flex option for at least a couple months.

That being said, it would not shock me at all if Harris carved out a role in a game like this. He is said to be a dual threat and is active for the first time today.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same dilemma as some others here. I would have to sit either Matt Breida or Cooper Kupp for Rex. Not sure what to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harris is active...might limit Rex Upside... I wanted to use him in DFS pretty cheap...kinda risky now 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

IMO, Rex had benefited from huge leads and gotten a lot more action in second halves this year. With OL injuries and no TE's to speak of (and today they may not have use of a TE at all), I am not sure what alignment they will use to keep Brady from being pancaked. In the past, their 2 TE power package made them have a strong running game with killer play action. They will probably give their German kid a lot of work today at FB.

I would normally say that Burkhead's usage would drop off if the games are closer, but they may not have a close game until November. It depends how big a league it is and what other options you have, but in 12 team leagues he will probably remain as a flex option for at least a couple months.

That being said, it would not shock me at all if Harris carved out a role in a game like this. He is said to be a dual threat and is active for the first time today.

With Devlin out and the offensive line banged up...plus a decent Jets defensive front (although Mosley and Williams out), I wonder if this is a spread it out and get it out 1-2-3 early.

Feel like it's throw early, run late. And Rex benefits here, while maybe S. Michel suffers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I face the Burkhead owner this week in Dynasty & he just activated him, so I hope y’all are right about Harris. :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Rex Burkhead delivered 47 yards and a touchdown on 11 carries while also pulling in six catches for 22 yards on seven targets Sunday in New England’s Week 3 win over the Jets.

Burkhead punched in a two-yard score on a third-and-goal pitch from Tom Brady, following Marshall Newhouse's lead block for his first touchdown of 2019. That stretched New England's lead to 30 with 3:07 remaining in the third quarter. Burkhead out-gained lead back Sony Michel for the second time in three weeks, though it should be noted the Patriots were playing without James White, who left the team for the birth of his child. White will resume his usual passing-down responsibilities upon his return, though Burkhead will continue to be involved, perhaps at the expense of Michel (2.4 yards per carry). New England's committee backfield has been frustrating fantasy owners for the better part of a decade and that's not likely to change anytime soon.

Sep 22, 2019, 5:28 PM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

Burkhead taken for X-rays after game. I don’t know for what yet. 

Probably got out one good game out of him before the injury 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

Burkhead taken for X-rays after game. I don’t know for what yet. 

Will be monitoring.

Who is next guy up if Rex is out for a week or longer -- Damien Harris? Develin (If he's back? Does he operate more of a pure FB?) Bolden? Jakob Johnson?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Anarchy99 said:

Burkhead taken for X-rays after game. I don’t know for what yet. 

Where did you see this? I can't find any report on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, ahartig said:

Where did you see this? I can't find any report on this.

Yeah, would be great to see a source. I know Edelman had X-rays (which seemed encouraging), maybe got confused with Rex?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, ahartig said:

Where did you see this? I can't find any report on this.

It was on the local post game radio show. They were recapping the injuries from the game and added that as a last second addition to the list. I listened to the rest of the broadcast and they didn’t bring it up again. I also watched the two hour local post game wrap up show on tv and they didn’t mention it at all. At this point we may not have any indication until the Wednesday practice report. Sorry I don’t have any more information than what I initially posted. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Yeah, would be great to see a source. I know Edelman had X-rays (which seemed encouraging), maybe got confused with Rex?

It definitely  was Rex because they commented that Edelman is always an injury risk and Burkhead was probably more of one than JE11 was. Someone commented that it was fitting that they both had to go for X-rays after the same game. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anarchy, how do you see the backfield snaps shaking out and do you see Burkhead getting a bigger share going forward?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ponchsox said:

Anarchy, how do you see the backfield snaps shaking out and do you see Burkhead getting a bigger share going forward?

The NE offense has had a lot of injuries and the AB situation to deal with, so it's really hard to draw any firm conclusions. The MIA they rearranged things to accommodate Brown. Last week White was out and Edelman missed half the game. The OL still has injury issues and they still don't have a healthy TE. And Develin got hurt and could be done for the season.

None of that bodes well for the rushing game. Michel probably has residual issues from summer surgery, which combined with no room to run and no use in the passing game makes him a fantasy dud. Michel is looking more like a TD dependent RB3. The offense runs better with Burkhead because defenses can't decipher if the play is a running play or passing play pre-snap . . . which is what kills Michel. With Brown out of the picture, White should continue to be a key cog receiving the ball.

Until the issues I mentioned get resolved, White a decent RB2 in PPR leagues, Burkhead an ok RB in PPR leagues, Michel down to a RB3. We'll see what changes if Cannon gets healthy, Watson comes off suspension, and if BB works them hard to improve the running game. The net result is TB is going to have to carry the load way more than they wanted him to this year. Hopefully they get things together by the time the schedule toughens up. Wynn could be back around then as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much of what I read and watch is saying Burkhead is outplaying Michel straight up. Perhaps it means something? It is the Patriots, but I'm holding and did start him in the Flex last week twice, once in season long, and once on Draftkings. Won both. Burkhead would be a nice FA pick up if he continues to get more touches and passes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Burkhead was limited today in practice with a foot injury. So I wasn't crazy that he got nicked against the Jets. He will probably be limited again tomorrow and we'll have to see how they list him Friday.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Burkhead was limited today in practice with a foot injury. So I wasn't crazy that he got nicked against the Jets. He will probably be limited again tomorrow and we'll have to see how they list him Friday.

if he's even a little hobbled, can expect a lot of checkdowns to White. not a whole lot of ways to attack the Buffalo defense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh I forgot he’s always hurt. What was I thinking 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anarchy99 said:

Burkhead was limited today in practice with a foot injury. So I wasn't crazy that he got nicked against the Jets. He will probably be limited again tomorrow and we'll have to see how they list him Friday.

Wish I would have read about that yesterday. That’s on me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dumped Duke for him, if he's healthy enough he looks like he could be very effective this year....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again . . . I'm not crazy (well not in this case).

Quote

Rex Burkhead (foot) was limited at practice Wednesday.

The Patriots are up to their old tricks, listing 10 players (Tom Brady, Julian Edelman, and Dont'a Hightower included) as limited in Wednesday's practice. It's only concerning for Burkhead since he received an x-ray (that came back negative) following Sunday's 17-touch performance. His full availability in Friday's practice will be crucial.

 

Edited by Anarchy99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember it's the Patriots who seem to be ultra conservative in reporting injuries. Burkhead is moving ahead of Sony in rankings and in real football. He's a nice play in Flex, bye weeks, and could even hit RB #2 status or beyond. All for a free FA pick up price. I'm holding and even played him last week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Again . . . I'm not crazy (well not in this case).

 

I know this quote isn't from you, but how is this limited designation only concerning for Burkhead, seeing as Edelman also received and x-ray (& and MRI, IIRC) AND was removed from Sundays game?  Wouldn't it be concerning for him too? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bayhawks said:

I know this quote isn't from you, but how is this limited designation only concerning for Burkhead, seeing as Edelman also received and x-ray (& and MRI, IIRC) AND was removed from Sundays game?  Wouldn't it be concerning for him too? 

Everyone saw Edelman get hurt on live tvand he missed the second half of the game against the Jets. There was a lot of concern he might miss time. He returned to practice and the feeling is he will suit up against the Bills. How hurt he is and how well he will do due to injury is anyone's guess.

Most people didn't see Burkhead get hurt live and no one really noticed any possible absence at the end of the game. His injury went so under the radar that people initially felt I may have been in error in mentioning it Sunday night. It still hasn't received much publicity, so it's hard to tell how big a deal it is since no one was really looked into it.

Hopefully the cracker jack team of beat reporters will have more to report today and tomorrow with regard to Burkhead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Everyone saw Edelman get hurt on live tvand he missed the second half of the game against the Jets. There was a lot of concern he might miss time. He returned to practice and the feeling is he will suit up against the Bills. How hurt he is and how well he will do due to injury is anyone's guess.

Most people didn't see Burkhead get hurt live and no one really noticed any possible absence at the end of the game. His injury went so under the radar that people initially felt I may have been in error in mentioning it Sunday night. It still hasn't received much publicity, so it's hard to tell how big a deal it is since no one was really looked into it.

Hopefully the cracker jack team of beat reporters will have more to report today and tomorrow with regard to Burkhead.

I understand that, and my (small) point of contention wasn't with you or your posting, rather the editorial in the quote that the only player to be concerned about was Burkhead.  Objectively speaking, there should be at least the same amount of concern for Edelman (although the fact that both were able to get in a limited practice on Wednesday should alleviate many concerns).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Bayhawks said:

I understand that, and my (small) point of contention wasn't with you or your posting, rather the editorial in the quote that the only player to be concerned about was Burkhead.  Objectively speaking, there should be at least the same amount of concern for Edelman (although the fact that both were able to get in a limited practice on Wednesday should alleviate many concerns).

That whole thing was terribly written by Rotoworld and makes sense in two or three ways, actually, because it is so unclear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sexy Rexy again listed as a limited participant in practice today. Odds are he will be listed as questionable after tomorrow. No one seems to be delving into this for some reason. In a related note, the NE TE's on the roster were also limited in practice and they brought in some other TE's for tryouts. That should not be an encouraging sign with regard to getting any run blocking from the TE position this week. However, that probably means more White and Burkhead tandems out of the backfield if Rex can go this week. Hopefully more will come out and he isn't the dreaded game time decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Sexy Rexy again listed as a limited participant in practice today. Odds are he will be listed as questionable after tomorrow. No one seems to be delving into this for some reason. In a related note, the NE TE's on the roster were also limited in practice and they brought in some other TE's for tryouts. That should not be an encouraging sign with regard to getting any run blocking from the TE position this week. However, that probably means more White and Burkhead tandems out of the backfield if Rex can go this week. Hopefully more will come out and he isn't the dreaded game time decision.

If this is true, massive target volume for White.  Start him if you have him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anarchy99 said:

Sexy Rexy again listed as a limited participant in practice today. Odds are he will be listed as questionable after tomorrow. No one seems to be delving into this for some reason. In a related note, the NE TE's on the roster were also limited in practice and they brought in some other TE's for tryouts. That should not be an encouraging sign with regard to getting any run blocking from the TE position this week. However, that probably means more White and Burkhead tandems out of the backfield if Rex can go this week. Hopefully more will come out and he isn't the dreaded game time decision.

Not getting a good vibe at all for NE here.

Buffalo D is no joke. This could be 13-10 type slugfest.

Not sure anyone on NE let alone Rex will be a solid play this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.