What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jake Locker (1 Viewer)

BallparkFrank

Footballguy
I honestly haven't seen or read much about Locker aside from some YouTube highlights and draft evaluations. With my limited knowledge, it sounds like Locker shares a very similar skill set and size to Tim Tebow. Is that an accurate assessment that Locker projects somewhat similarly to Tebow or are their clear differences in their games that I'm missing? For dynasty, I find Jake Locker to be a really tough guy to evaluate - would be interested in your thoughts.

I think there's some similiarities between the two. Locker isn't as power of a runner as Tebow, but probably almost as athletic. I think Locker's a far better passes - he has far inferior skill support at Washington than Tebow did at Florida and still managed to put up numbers. Like Tebwo, he does need to improve his accuracy but has a better throwing motion to work with than Tebow does.

I think there's some similiarities between the two. Locker isn't as power of a runner as Tebow, but probably almost as athletic. I think Locker's a far better passes - he has far inferior skill support at Washington than Tebow did at Florida and still managed to put up numbers. Like Tebwo, he does need to improve his accuracy but has a better throwing motion to work with than Tebow does.
Locker's numbers at Washington were garbage.

:boxing:

:boxing:
In two of his three years starting, he ranked 10th in the Pac-10 in completion percentage.

Tebow had great intangibles but questionable mechanics.

Locker had questionable intangibles but great mechanics.

One of the Qbs from this years draft have to fail/bust. It would be very unlikely they all succeed. Having watched Newton, Ponder, Dalton and Gabbert this season, it would seem likely Locker is the guy to fail. All though I havnt really liked what Ive seen from Gabbert so far either. But to be honest, I was least impressed by Locker in college and on film.

One of the Qbs from this years draft have to fail/bust. It would be very unlikely they all succeed. Having watched Newton, Ponder, Dalton and Gabbert this season, it would seem likely Locker is the guy to fail. All though I havnt really liked what Ive seen from Gabbert so far either. But to be honest, I was least impressed by Locker in college and on film.
lol Locker isn't going to fail because Cam Newton and Andy Dalton are successes

this logic doesn't make any sense

Locker and Tebow aren't really comparable. They are nothing alike except for being White, young and QB's.

Locker has limited to moderate mobility. The kind that made him look good against Idaho in 2009, but not so much against the friggin Ravens.

He has a cannon for an arm and looks really good while throwing it. Unfortunately, he accuracy is ok at best. He overthrows and once he's rattled, he stays that way.

Has decent pocket presence, but struggles once he's on the move not to lock onto one guy.

I've seen him live 3 times, twice he sucked, and last year in the holiday bowl he played fairly solid, though not in much of a challenge. He has all the combine stats and phyiscal features of an all-pro QB. But I don't see him starting off strong in the NFL if he doesn't get a year or two to learn and adjust for the speed.

Locker and Tebow aren't really comparable. They are nothing alike except for being White, young and QB's.

Locker has limited to moderate mobility. The kind that made him look good against Idaho in 2009, but not so much against the friggin Ravens.

He has a cannon for an arm and looks really good while throwing it. Unfortunately, he accuracy is ok at best. He overthrows and once he's rattled, he stays that way.

Has decent pocket presence, but struggles once he's on the move not to lock onto one guy.

I've seen him live 3 times, twice he sucked, and last year in the holiday bowl he played fairly solid, though not in much of a challenge. He has all the combine stats and phyiscal features of an all-pro QB. But I don't see him starting off strong in the NFL if he doesn't get a year or two to learn and adjust for the speed.
Tebow's 40 time: 4.72Locker's 40 time: 4.59

Vince Young's 40 time: 4.58

True his accuracy is poor, but the one thing Locker has without a doubt is mobility.

Tebow's 40 time: 4.72Locker's 40 time: 4.59

Vince Young's 40 time: 4.58

True his accuracy is poor, but the one thing Locker has without a doubt is mobility.
Speed and mobility are not synonyms.

Don't know what people are talking about. Locker is actually a much better runner than Tebow. He's a phenomenal athlete. Big, strong, and mobile enough to have a real shot at sticking in the NFL as a TE. He's also tough as nails and a real competitor.

Unfortunately, he's a craptastic passer. I think Joke Locker is going to flop as an NFL QB.

Again, are you kidding me? he's got above average mobility for a quarterback and he's excellent throwing the ball on the run - a lot of experts even said he was more accurate while on the move as opposed to in the pocket. It's fair to question his decision making and accuracy overall but I think you're way off base. Just as an example - from Scouts Inc:

FYI 1 is Excellent, 5 is Marginal

Intangibles 1 Drafted twice by MLB teams and signed a six-year rights agreement in 2009 with Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, who are paying his scholarship costs. Hard worker. Teammates and coaches have nothing but praise for him as a person and player. Hard worker. Determined to succeed.
Pocket Mobility 2 Excellent athlete. Gets set quickly and has really developed a great tempo to his drops. Feels the pressure coming most of the time and has the quickness to buy many of second-chance opportunities. Two concerns here, though: 1. He frequently looks uncomfortable and gets anxious in the pocket (partially a byproduct to poor protection and rib injury in 2010). 2. Needs to better protect his body (slide, dive, get out of bounds, etc.).
Accuracy 4 Spent early career in option-heavy system and last two seasons in pro-style offense with lousy pass protection. Has become a product of environment, as a result. Is more comfortable throwing under fire while on the run than from within the pocket. He has excellent accuracy when throwing on the run and/or outside the pocket (approximately 70-percent in 2010). Oregon State 2010 game is a good example (completed 71.4-percent of throws outside the pocket compared to 57-percent of throws inside the pocket). Looks least comfortable when he's in pocket going through progression reads. He has a long stride at times, which throws off his balance and prevents him from transferring weight from back-to-front. He appears to be thinking too much about mechanics and does not look natural unless he's throwing from on the run.

Don't know what people are talking about. Locker is actually a much better runner than Tebow. He's a phenomenal athlete. Big, strong, and mobile enough to have a real shot at sticking in the NFL as a TE. He's also tough as nails and a real competitor.Unfortunately, he's a craptastic passer. I think Joke Locker is going to flop as an NFL QB.
This.

How does Locker compare to Kaepernick? I'll admit that I don't know much about college football, but 4k rushing yards sounds pretty impressive, and Kaepernick's numbers seem much better then Locker's.

Whenever I saw Locker in college, he was usually running for his life. Anyone who seriously thinks he lacks mobility hasn't actually seen him play.

How does Locker compare to Kaepernick? I'll admit that I don't know much about college football, but 4k rushing yards sounds pretty impressive, and Kaepernick's numbers seem much better then Locker's.
Kaepernick might be a better runner but he played in the pistol offense, which is an option style scheme. Kapernick is more polished as a passer too but I think his ceiling is lower than Locker. He never struck me as a big time NFL type player.

Last edited by a moderator:

You people are bad at this

During his whole career or just his senior season?

Washington's current quarterback (Keith Price) is putting up better stats than Locker ever put up.
Do you think that might be due to the fact that Sarkisian has had 2 years of recruiting to build a team and Locker's last two years were mostly played with the former regimes players?

It's still early, but I think this will end up being a pretty horrible comparison on my part. I watched his relief appearance last week and it seems like he has a little Brett Favre in him. He has a lot of faith in his arm strength, throws balls he probably shouldn't but trusts his WR's to make a play on the ball, mixes great throws with horrible throws and has some nice mobility. It'll be fun to watch his progress.

It's still early, but I think this will end up being a pretty horrible comparison on my part. I watched his relief appearance last week and it seems like he has a little Brett Favre in him. He has a lot of faith in his arm strength, throws balls he probably shouldn't but trusts his WR's to make a play on the ball, mixes great throws with horrible throws and has some nice mobility. It'll be fun to watch his progress.
I have been saying since August that he has the It factor, the intangibles (particularly leadership) to succeed in the NFL. Similar to Tebow in that respect and despite claims that he can't pass he is actually quite accurate when he is on the move, outside of the pocket. If the Titans mold the offense to his strengths he is going to be a good one IMO.

I dunno. Watching Locker last week against the Falcons, he looked pretty impressive. Brought the Titans to wihthin a TD in the 4th Quarter.

He was throwing the ball very hard and accurate, and ran effectively picking up key 3rd down conversions.

Seattle resident and UW alum here. I watched pretty much every game Locker ever played at the UW and I was glad to see him leave. I am not a scout and have no idea how the NFL grades out prospects but based on what I saw I thought he was a draft pick that will definitely get you fired. I predicted that either Price or Montana would put up better numbers than Locker ever did and so far I've been proven correct.

On paper, he's amazing. Huge arm, great mobility, intangibles and everything else you could possibly want out of your QB1. But it just never really translated onto the field. He would make just enough mistakes to lose the game. Everyone points to his inferior teammates as why he didn't do better but I think if he's so supremely talented he ought to be able to lift the team to the next level and he never did that. His number one problem then and likely now is his accuracy. He can absolutely make every throw on the field but not twice in a row. He doesn't seem to be able to put much touch on the ball, he throws with the same velocity if it's going 10 yards or 60 yards and that would lead to wildly inaccurate throws.

His first two years under Willingham were kind of a wash but there were a lot of people thinking he would have been better off switching to another position. He improved his junior season when Sark came on the scene but wildly regressed his senior season and the only reason the UW made a bowl game is that the coaches took the ball out of his hands the last 4 games of the season and went run-heavy because he was just making way too many mistakes via interceptions, terrible throws, taking inopportune sacks and weird fumbles.

But despite all the film of him making all these mistakes, everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, loves the kid. There were miles of film of him making bad plays and the stats speak for themselves but at no point did anyone ever dare say he might not be anything less than the second coming. It got to the point where I couldn't really watch games with the sound on because all the announcers would just slobber all over the kid about how awesome he was while he was lighting it up for 12-30, 1td and 2 ints.

The night of the draft Jim Mora Jr was on the NFL Network saying, "He might make a lot of mistakes but he's the type of kid I'd like my daughter to marry." He basically got a free pass from the media because everyone in Seattle loved the kid. Looking at the composition of Tennessee's front office, there's a lot of guys there with Seattle ties and I think that might be why they ended up drafting him.

Users who are viewing this thread